Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
toriree
Dodge City, KS

March 27, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9059262

I want to use a small dead tree as a trellis for a vine. I prefer a fragrant flowering one, non-evasive but fast growing. Any suggestions?
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2012
12:33 AM

Post #9120611

Hi, Dodge, I'm doing it on my R.I.P.(I Hope) Bamboo. I am planting Annuals, Thumbergia, Red, White and Blue Morninglorys, night blooming Moonflowers. Scarlet runner peas & because this year I have a lot of them, our native Passion Flower~ Passiflora Incarnata.There is a lot of yellow Honeysuckle headed that way, so If it gets to the meeting on time it is more than welcome to join in. All for less than $15.00. None of the group wants anything like fertilizer~deadheading~weeding~ but the Passiflora and it can have any pot it wants. A whole lot cheaper than the over $800.00 to have a tree service get that Bamboo out of the ground.

Thumbnail by jimtomczak   Thumbnail by jimtomczak   Thumbnail by jimtomczak   Thumbnail by jimtomczak   Thumbnail by jimtomczak
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9120661

A nicely behaved noninvasive vine, Clematis is a beautiful option. It is a blooming fool and will come back year after year. However, it is not fragrant.
What about Jasmine? That is fragrant but not sure about how well behaved Jasmine is, or whether it comes back each year.
I would avoid honeysuckle as it is quite invasive. Ditto for wisteria and trumpet vine.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9121224

There are several fragrant clems. Sweet Autumn, 2 different rectas are fragrant and maybe someone else will chime in as to others, (sorry can't think of them at the moment, naughty me,lol).
Vines that are a problem in warmer areas of the country may not be a problem in colder areas, check with your local Extention Office listed in the government pages of the phone book, (under co. govmt).
Tori are you a zone 6, here in my zone 6, wisteria will grow but take a while to establish, trumpet vine is not that bad either. So like I say, find out locally. Personally, I just bought 6 honeysuckle vines (very fragrant), love em.
Fragrant varieties;Of those listed above the moonflowers and the Jasmine are fragrant, the rest aren't. Lathrus..sweet peas (the annuals), tho not the perennial variety. Many climbimg roses are fragrant, check out the web site for Jacksonperkinsroses.com or might be JProses.com...(look for climbers or ramblers).

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America