Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

pepper starts

MUNITH, MI

I planted my sweet and hot pepper seeds 12 days ago and I have only 2 out of 15 seeds up. When should I worry or replant the seed?

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Mine take about five or six days to sprout, but I keep them on the warm side (about 75 - 80F.) If your soil is too cold they may never sprout.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Getting the seed in the 75 to 85 degree range made the difference between 6 to 7 days and 3 weeks for me. Mine have ranged from 6 days to 25 days. The 25 day one is College 64L that came as a sample from Totally Tomatoes in 2007. I had one out of 6 germinate. On the other hand Chinese Giant from the same source is 11 of 14.
If they are below 75 or better 80 warm them up and wait a little longer.

MUNITH, MI

Thankjs for the comments. I checked today and some more are coming up. I think it was too cool where I was sprouting them. I've got them in a warmer place now. :)

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

DAC596 - Yup, peppers like warm feet.

Jonesville, SC(Zone 7b)

I germinate mine at 80 degrees. Make sure they are not planted too deep. I cover mine with about 2-3 millimeters of soil. Also, make sure they are not old seeds. I am still sowing Big Dippers from 2007 and my germination rate is decreasing each year. I don't know if I will be able to sow any of them next year with any success but I am sure gonna try! However, they didn't do really well this year at all but I still got enough for my family to plant. Good luck with them.

Lake Charles, LA(Zone 9a)

i sowed 10 this year and 10 sprouted. which is great. now i gotta figure out where to plant these little buggers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.