Photo by Melody

Article: Tater Chitting: Preparing Your Seed Potatoes for Planting: Good info, Bev

Communities > Forums > Article: Tater Chitting: Preparing Your Seed Potatoes for Planting
bookmark
Forum: Article: Tater Chitting: Preparing Your Seed Potatoes for PlantingReplies: 16, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9060024

What would we do without potatoes?

I'm not chitting taters this year, but I have sprouted sweet potatoes for slips. And my ornamental sweet potato vines have sprouted and are growing inside as well. I'm planting them this week and hoping the danger of frost has passed. :-)

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9060102

Hi Carole,
I would hate to think of our world without some kind of potato! I've never tried sprouting sweet potatoes slips for planting, but maybe we can next year. We love them, too. We had frost night before last and I hope that will be the last of the cold. We're raring to plant here as well!

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment about chitting!
Good luck gardening this year,
--
Bev
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9060164

Great article, Bev! Thanks. I have yet to grow potatoes except for ornamental ones, but will be before long. Hate to buy seed potatoes cause of large package size; I'll just have to find someone to share with.
Mary
marcomjl
West Warwick, RI

March 28, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9060326

I started some yukon gold this year already for a week in a cardboard box near a window. They are sprouting like crazy and healthy. I purchased them at wholefoods since most regular grocery spray them with eye growth inhibitor. My father has 4 trays full with soil around them and stored in his garage. They are sprouting but they seem long, skiny and white. I'm interested to see the difference mine make compared to his.

Also got some sweet potato's I'm setting up for some vines my wife wants to hang off of our window boxes. Only been a week and nothing yet but I know they need some more time.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9060968

Mary,
I've had to do the same thing, splitting the pre-bagged seed potatoes with a friend, until I found one of our little produce markets selling them by the pound. The market had complaints from many single people (and retirees) about the big quantities, too. You might ask your local supplier if they have any busted bags of potatoes, or break one open themselves, that they might be willing to sell out by the pound!

Glad you liked the article, thanks for posting!
Good luck with your garden!!
--
Bev

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9060978

marcomjl,
You're ahead of me, and I'm envious of your wife's sweet potato slips, too!! I'm just getting started because I was afraid of this goofy weather. I'd be interested to know if there is any difference between your chitted potatoes and your dad's! So please report back!

Thanks so much for reading and posting!
Good luck with your garden, too,
--
Bev
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 28, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9061164

Cville;
Please tell me how you got your sweet potatoes to sprout? Have been having a lot of trouble year after year and have to buy them.

Mary ; Bev is right about the splitting of bags; our feed store had broken the big seed potatoes bags and split them up into five pound bags and stashed tthem behind the counter. I asked if they had smaller bags and they gladly sold them too me.
Also Walmart sells them in small bags too.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9061416

L2, they are sloooow to sprout. I buy organic at our local Farmers' Market so I know they haven't been sprayed with a sprouting/growth inhibitor.

I just took the first picture yesterday ... I was late getting started this year. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9061418

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9061525

Thanks for the inspiring pics Carole!! Looking good!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 29, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9061658

Cville;
I have tried and tried. From your pictures though - I might be putting too much of the sweet potatoe down in the jar and thus it rots.

I "keep" using my sweet potaotes from my last year's crop - still down in the basement - year after year.
Fail and then go buy the plants again and again.
I did notice last year when I was trying to get them to sprout and they would not, that finally those left overs ones-- finally developed buds down in the basement about July!!!!
I am starting to think they might be bred up to store really good and won't sprout for a very long time??? Is that possible?

Cville:
I have tried really hard.

Three years ago it was jars of water and they rotted - but maybe it was too deep in the jar.
Last year I put them in spagnum moss and kept it wet - nope-- and then tried jars again and agian - nope.
This year I covered them with sand and the first bunch rotted, and so I removed them - threw them out and replaced them with the smaller - tiny sweet potatoes . Nothing like failing once - not changing a thing and trying again. : ) However, in my defense - I put really small ones in the second time.

I am heating them with lights under the pans, and a light above. I smelled something rotting yesterday--- I have not found it yet, but the few that I dug up are not rotting - but they are not showing in signs of sprouting either.

I hate to fail that bad!

So how are you getting and keeping the heat on these sweet potatoes?

By the way; Beautiful pictures. Thank you for taking the time to send them my way. At least I get to see some sweet potatoes growing , by some one --- some where in this world --- which is a great pleasure by the way!.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 9:31 AM

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2012
3:01 AM

Post #9062817

Thanks, L2. I do believe you are right. They are often bred for length of storage time. But they are always slow to sprout no matter what type they are.

Just a small part stuck in the water works fine ... maybe 1/3 of the potato.

I don't keep heat on them. I just keep them at room temperature and not in the dark ... and let them do their thing ... usually a bright location and then move to a sunny window, if possible.

Don't give up. You'll succeed. :-)

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9062852

Carole, Thanks for that sweet potato info! I may give it a try, too!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9063047

:-)
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 30, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9063273

Well, well , well, I dug my up last night from the sand, and the those small ones are forming roots!!!! what do you know!!!! Finally!

When I took supper over to Mom and Dad's last night they asked what I was doing and I told them about the sweet potatoes.

It got a reaction from my mother that was all too funny. It really sparked a strong feeling!
Both of my parents was raised by in the mountians - born in a log cabin that was built by her great - grand father!

She was interested in how I was trying to start them.
she said that getting the sweet potatoes bed ready was a very long two day affair. They started sweet potatoes outside real early and cold outside; since they did not have electric lights or any type of central heating other than a fire place how did they get them warm?.
She said her Dad spent most of those two days back and forth from her grandfathers, getting planks and saw dust - hammering around on it untill they had a box about waist high - and as big around as a regular size bed.

They filled it almost all the wau up with manure put a little sawdust and soil on top - planted the sweet potatoes in that - kept adding lots of water and between watering kept it covered it with a blanket.

so I guess me getting a little sand and putting lights under and over it was not that hard. Still I want to try for jars next year and I will remember 1/3 down.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9063330

Great!

You can grow potatoes in a large plastic garbage can or big grow-bag that way as well. Then wheel it or carry the bag wherever you need to if it requires more heat/sun. When it's time to harvest, just dump it all out on a large tarp and gather your potatoes. :)

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9063388

I grow my taters in homemade bags for the same reason Carole. I've had to move the bags around in the yard for various reasons. They do great!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tater Chitting: Preparing Your Seed Potatoes for Planting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Organic? Liquidambar2 48 Jun 4, 2012 9:20 AM
Hooray FlaFlower 1 Apr 2, 2012 7:20 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America