Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: "Cutting Celery"

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 19, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9060315

Is there an herb or vegetable called "Cutting Celery" that is different from a regular grocery store type celery?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9060339

Hey, I found it! I thought google would result with info on how to cut celery..that I know how to do.lol

So this an herb, my next question is who has grown it?
Do you think it would grow in extreme Texas heat?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9060349

YES! I grow it because I don't care for celery stalks, but love the flavor. I started seeds 3 years ago and now have several nice clumps in cinder blocks. I divide them each spring (they stay green and usable all winter). It is a beautiful plant, and tastes wonderful. Our summers get close to 100, so I think it would do well in Texas. You could give it some shade-it needs LOTS of water!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9060546

Awesome! Thank you, Jo! I tied to find some references with it growing in Texas. No one actually says treat it as an annual, but they all seem acknowledge it as doing great in the winter thu spring. That is long enough of a season for me! The best circumstance would be for me to start them indoors late fall and move them out when it cools off. If your dividing it doesn't sound they it'll be too much trouble to transplant.

Did you do anything special/germination for the seed?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9060597

Ooooo - sounds interesting. Where does one buy seed?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9060625

I got my seed from a mail order catalog- don't recall which, but now that nurseries are carrying a lot of new seeds in their racks, I think you could find them locally. Once you get the plants going you'll never need seeds again! Every year I get at least 12 plants from each cinder block when I divide. I keep the whole neighborhood supplied!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9060634

Is this it?

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8219-cutting-celery.aspx

Sounds easy to grow. Thanks for the info Jo.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9060661

Lol, Honeybee, you sound like me. I'm like a crow to anything new and shiny :0)

The Johnny's seed is what I found too. Already have a fall wish list started from them and didn't look any further.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9060694

cocoa_lulu - Yup, I'll try anything at least once.

I like celery, but frequently don't use up all the stalks. This "Cutting Celery" sounds like a great alternative. I've avoid trying to grow regular celery because it needs soil pulled up around the stalks to keep it blanched. I'm not that disciplined.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9060780

I don't think we can grow regular celery in our heat, or in winter. I saw this listed with a local CSA, and thought, how in the heck are they getting it to grow.
My hint was that it was listed in the herb section.
I like raw celery every now and then, but don't care for cooked stalks either.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9060901

As easy to grow as it is, I would not rule any climate out- try it- It stayed green all winter here in the PNW, and all summer in our nearly 100 degree heat. I consider it a hardy perennial in my garden.
I noticed Johnny's has the seed backordered- I found them here-- http://www.reimerseeds.com/cutting-celery.aspx I think that is where I bought mine.
Here are 2 photos of my 2 cinder block plants. Each one has probably 12 or more divisions that grew since last year. I cut it all winter for salads, soups, garnishes, etc. It has a great intense celery flavor. No garden should be without it!!! And if it is OK, here is one of my 3 Strawberry Topsies! It said it was for hot peppers!! Can you imaging the 7 holes with pepper plants!

Thumbnail by JoParrott   Thumbnail by JoParrott   Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9061102

There are quite a few vendors and several different varieties. Amazon list 3 vendors. John Scheepers http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/cgi-bin/catview.cgi?_fn=Product&_category=110 Fedco http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/search.php?item=3616& Thompson and morgan http://www.tmseeds.com/product/Herb-Cutting-Celery/Shop_Vegetable_and_Herb_Seed Cook's Garden http://www.cooksgarden.com/vegetables/celery/cutting-celery-afina-prod000728.html Gourmet Seed International http://www.gourmetseed.com/product/CE11/Cutting-Celery-da-Taglio.html are among others.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9061154

Cocoa ~ I've grown it for quite a few years. It actually is a biennual. I love the taste. I use it fresh and dried. I've commonly known it as par-cel. A combination of parsley and celery.

There are a few different types. This is one that I'm growing now... http://store.underwoodgardens.com/Leaf-Celery_-Par-Cel-Apium-graveolens-v-secalinum/productinfo/V1083/ I've also purchased the cutting celery from Johnnys Select Seeds.

It does take the excessive heat here although it receives evening shade in the location I have it planted. It also takes our winter frosts with no protection and looks wilted. Later in the day, it perks right up again.

I've read that if one cuts back the blooms, you can keep it going longer but I must say I prefer the tender new growth. Last years plants are starting to bolt but I've already started a new clump for the season. Kristi
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9061501

You enablers! I ordered some from Cooks Garden - thanks Farmerdill. And of course there were a few other seeds I grabbed while there, best not to waste the shipping charges. ;-)
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9061653

podster, the link you gave says it all- that it is both cold & heat toleralt, and all the many uses. I hope everyone will try it. For the many who grow in cinder blocks, it makes a beautiful border plant too!
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9061702

I'm a cinder block grower!! [Mary jumping up and down waving her arms in the air] Got the idea from Jo. See if I can quickly find a pic...I painted mine with an elasiticized roofing compound for heat control. This year I failed to add fresh soil so the yeild has been crummy. My bad.

Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9061726

Way to go, MaryMcP-! Looking good. About adding new soil- I mix up a fresh batch to add every season. It's amazing how much you can grow in those little spaces!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9061873

Kristi, Thank you! Why does it not surprise me that you grow it! You grow herbs so much better then I do. With all this enabling from others as well, I'm looking forward to trying it.

The cider block rows amaze me, I keep thinking I'll grab some when I see them listed as free. The only problem, they only seem to free when it's 110 outside and too hot to lug around. My grand father always grew his strawberries in cider blocks, good memories.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9062363

Cocoa and anyone else interested of course ~ peruse that site when you have time. I love their peculiar selection of herbs and unusual vegies. Their prices are a tad high and the quantities of seed a bit shy but I love it. I find myself spending more than intended but most will never need to be purchased again as they are perennial or will reseed.

Right now, my last seasons' par-cel plants are 3 feet tall and (like Jo s' photo) they are a gorgeous ornamental. If you are patient, it is my intention to allow the par-cel to bolt and I will be harvesting seed later this summer.

I want to add that I researched this plant when I first began to grow it about 5 years ago. I was looking for reduced sodium content as celery is quite high. I never found that answer but don't believe it has a high sodium content. It seems to have a similar effect as parsley, acting as a mild diuretic.

I have a fascination to learn the values of herbals for medicinal purposes as well as seasoning and edibles. It keeps me coming back to DG and other plant sites. Kristi

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 7:47 PM
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9064433

Oh WOW, Kristi! I've spent about ten minutes and already got a wish list going.lol I've got it bookmarked and looking forward to some time savoring the site :0) Thank you!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America