Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Collard Greens

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9060441

I waited too long & thought my collards were cabbages. Now they are huge. Do I harvest & eat the leaves at the bottom or start at the top where the leaves are nice & tender? Will the plant keep adding on leaves at the top?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9060581

behillman - the younger leaves will be more tender, just don't cut the very center. Leaves will keep growing from the center. Cut or snap off the old outer leaves when they turn yellow.

When I cook collards, I remove the center stalk.
ParmaJon
Portland, OR

March 28, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9061112

The traditional method for harvesting collards in the south is to let the whole plant get huge and then harvest the whole thing, chopping off leaves in the kitchen. I harvest mine like kale, breaking off leaves a few at a time. The tops are more tender, but the bottom leaves are fine as long as they are not brown or too flea bitten. They may need a few more minutes in the pan, though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America