-
AuthorContent
Coons48
Corpus Christi, TX

March 28, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9060600

Hello,
First season for my veggie garden and my question is...

I planted some cayenne peppers I bought from the store a month ago, growth has been slow but lately they are beginning to get some height. Ive noticed they will set their first round of fruit. Should I pick them? Will that allow the plant to focus on growing, or just allow it to do its thing naturally?

Also off topic question. I have room in my garden for a few more veggies, but I don't know what to plant. I live in a area with high winds, high heat, and high humility. Any ideas? I already have peppers and tomatoes planted.

Thanks!!

Thumbnail by Coons48
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9060628

You live by the water? I want to jump right in!

Some of the Texas gardeners will hopefully be along soon to answer your questions.
Coons48
Corpus Christi, TX

March 28, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9060667

Yep, on a little island off the coast. Pretty lucky. Water is already beginning to warm up for the summer.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9060755

Let them get a little size, then pick them. They will do their thing no matter what!
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9078358

Ideally, once they ripen, pick them often. most of time they will continue to produce. As far as high heat and high humidity, Okra is a good vegetable to grow, if you like them. They do great in hot humid weather. I live not too far from Corpus Christi, being from Louisiana. As far as the height is concerned, Mother Nature will take of that department. Just sure water and feed them properly and your plants will do just fine.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America