Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: New "California Trio" on the block!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 47, Views: 243
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9060684

Well I got together with our ZZ and we decided that I just couldnt let another minute go by without her sweet Chauncy and his ladies. ZZ got busy and ordered a shipping box and by YESTERDAY she had them on a mail plane headed to Georgia!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9060696

ZZ said that the expected arrival would be on Thursday. Well they arrived TODAY! How great was that! They were in such great shape when I opened the box , they werent stressed a bit!
So here they are:
Mr. Chauncey and Tina and Gina, the newest additions to my Serama Flock!
I am so happpppy!

Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9060709

In less than 30 minutes Miss Tina started her br brr brr brrrrrrrring talk and before I knew it she had jumped right into the new nesting bowl and made herself at home.
Not to be outdone Miss Gina decided that she would have to check it out herself!
Then they both decided...well you see what happened.. and Chauncey just looked on as if to say, "Women!"!!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9060880

a day early is always nice. They are very pretty. I guess they like the bowl nest you have for them lol
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

March 28, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9060933

Wow, they are really nice looking! How big are they? They look like really tiny chickens.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 28, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9060971

What lucky chickens!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9061038

Wow Eufaula you really scored! They are gorgeous. You and your great pictures. I'm telling you, you must write a book.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9061176

Arent I the luckiest chicken Mama!!! Thanks ZZ, I am in heaven right now!! OH by the way the girls gave me one egg already!! I think it was gina...not sure yet!
Imagesoart, they are very tiny!
Thanks Porkpal , these babies are the last that I plan to get for a looooong time. My space and time are ...well... I just need to hush...you know me too well...!
LFJ, I really am thinking about a book, just have to figure out how to get started!

This message was edited Mar 28, 2012 8:46 PM
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9061488

They are just beautiful! Can you tell me how big their enclosure is? I'd love to have seramas, but I need to plan it so the DH doesn't get uptite.
Thanks!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9061600

Hi Tamberlin, I actually have several enclosures for my Seramas. They are all off the ground 3 feet on frames, except for one. I have two that are 2and1/2ft X 6 ft X 2and 1/2ft tall. One has an enclosed built in house on one end and the other Ive fitted a small dog kennel into it on one end. The unit that sits on the ground is the one that I bought from TSC , a Ware Chicken coop, It has a run attached to the actual coop. NOne of them take up a lot of space... 6 ft x 2 1/2 ft at the most.
Since the Seramas are so small I take no chances on a Hawk swooping down and grabbing one, which has happened before. So when Im home in the afternoons , I let them range or "ground scratch" while keeping a close eye on them. To be very safe, I have a large dog Kennel with the bottom tray removed, that I place on the ground then put 4 Seramas in it at a time. This way they can get at the "goodies" on the ground without the danger of free ranging.
I am in process now of building my own "Ground Coop". It will have plywood sides and a Hardware cloth top, and no bottom. I want to build it to be at least 6 to 8 ft long and 3 ft high. The width should be about 3 ft. A door in the top and a lift door on the end. Thinking about making it into a "tractor", but Im not that good a carpenter yet. I really would like for it to have wheels or at least be mobile enough to move around my yard. this would be strictly for day time browsing while Im around, no over night stays! I do Not trust the varmits around here to leave my babies on the ground all night!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9063110

Wow! Those are soooooo cute! And the photos came out nice and clear, too. Thanks for sharing!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9063301

We have 2 eggies today!!!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 30, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9063395

The new girls must be happy there.
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9063425

A friend gave us a used (and in need of some work) rabbit hutch that we *could* convert to a little chicken house. Or a honeymoon suite...:) I'm thinking of a couple serama chicks someday.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9067600

are you going to incubate the eggs???
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9067820

I don't have an incubator. Any chicks I get will have to be Mareks vaccinated as well, so any aquisitions are still in the planning stages- but I really want them. Maybe my DH can give me some for my birthday?
First thing is to get all my malfunctioning appliances fixed. Its really annoying to not have either a dishwasher or washing machine!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 3, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9067932

I could deal without the dishwasher if I had to but not the washing machine
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9068076

Its been over a month for the washer, but just a couple days for the dishwasher. The problem there is the river that runs out from underneath whenever you try to wash any dishes in the sink. I wish I was rich enough for take out every night!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9068192

Chaunceys ladies Eggies will be put underBroody Tilly, who is in with Tuaca and Tuwanda. I now have 6 to 8 eggs under Tilly and awaiting the 6 eggies in the other nest to be incubated, by either Tuwanda or Sweet Tater, soon. Should see some results by the 21st and the week after. Crossing fingers again!
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9068343

I will be watching! My birthday is in July so I have to be patient!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9068779

I actually learned how to install a heating element in my old oven, remove and replace the motor in both the washer and dryer. So much info on the net if you have the patience and time. Just check out YouTube on about any subject.

tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9068870

The washer is still under warranty. The part needed is unfortunately indefinitely backordered. The really nice ladies at the laundromat are teaching me Russian.
There is a bright side to every coin. I might be able to get seramas, my water bill is going to be ridiculously low...

Eufala
Are Gina and Tina splash coloring? What do you think their chicks will look like?
maybe I can get an incubator with my tax return...hmmm. I will work on this angle.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9069143

Godd Morning all! Yes Tamberlin. Gina and Tina are Splashes and cute!
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9090832

Hi Eufaula,
Have any of your eggs hatched yet? I can't wait to see your tiny babies!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9094008

Yaaaay! I had it timed just right! Tilly hatched 5 of 6 eggies!! All are doing well! the one that didnt hatch wasnt fertile so I dont count that one! I cant at this point tell which ones are Chaunceys and which are Tuaca's but all of them are yellow. One has black "racing" stripes down its back and on its head! I will have photos this afternoon! the weather turned so windy and the temps dropped down at least 30 degrees in less than 24 hours so Im not bothering them much! I want Tilly to just keep them warm!
I also had 14 to hatch in the incu! BCM X Buff Orpington Crosses and I believe at this point 6 are pure BCM's! I'll know better this afternoon when I get home. 14 babies out of 17 eggies not tooooo Shabby a hatch!
None of the Serama eggies in the incu hatched! So Im not ever again going to use the incu for Seramas, its too iffy for the delicateness of those precious little guys! I'll just let the mamas handle it! So far Im seeing nearly 100% hatch under a broody!
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9094247

oh Terrific! I can't wait to see pictures!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 23, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9094354

Wow! That's exceptional! You are the hatching ace.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9094491

Um, excuse me, but weren't you the lady getting out of the chicken raising business. :D

Admit it, we are addicts, chicken addicts.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9095540

Sorry Guys the pictures werent posted due to a computer glitch with DIAL-UP!!! Arrrrgh . Im so needing a new computer and a new ISP! So hope fully tonight Ill definitely have the photos you all are waiting for! Also Im thinking Tuwanda should have some results in her nest too! so far the baby Seramas in Tillys nest are doing great, eating and drinking and driving Mama crazy! We had that terrible Blackberry winter wind come through yesterday and the temps did drop from 80 degrees on Saturday to 34 last night...brrrrr. So Mama tilly has been hovering really tight over her Younguns!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 24, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9096045

I'm not sure I would blame your computer for the whole problem. I often have had trouble with this site recently. Sometimes it is "unavailable" for hours and just now it keeps getting "discontinued" briefly...(?)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9096096

Yes, porkpal, same thing here. I was just going to d-mail admin as I thought it was just me. Session interupted...Eufaula, might not just be your computer.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9097609

Well I finally got the thing to accept my photos!! Here is Tilly and her 5 little Serama babies!

Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9097615

Heres Tuaca and tuwanda's first baby!!! come on little fella!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9097633

Here are the 14 B C Maran and Buff Orp crosses, and the pure BCM's. They are all doing really well! The BCM's are so funny with teir little yellow and black masks and the Crosses are anything between a blackish brown to a reddish color! All are very healthy and growing great!

Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 25, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9097700

All kinds of cute babies
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9097746

One of your little serama babies has a set of racing stripes! You are so lucky. Thank you very much for posting pictures.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 25, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9098030

It will be fun to see what they look like as they grow older. Keep us informed; I love to see how the little fuzzies change.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9098232

Good Morning All! These babies do change daily. Almost all of the little Seramas now have some black on them! Mostly tiny wing feathers.
Tuwanda now has 3 babies hatched, Im hoping that there will be at least 3 more. I just threw the two Black Copper Maran eggs under her at the last minute so we will see if they hatch within the next couple of days!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9098242

Sooooo, if Im correct... the 5 babies under Tilly are from the California trio that ZZ sent!!! So Chauncey,tina and Gina are the real Parents.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 26, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9098446

Exciting! The line continues. (Who else could they be?)

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9102827

Tuwanda and Tuaca have 3 babies. there was also one little Black Copper Maran that hatched last. I put the BCM in with its real siblings once it dried out and it is very happy and healthy.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9102829

Family portrait of Tilly's babies today! More black is showing up by the hour!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 29, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9102957

That is a really great picture!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9104129

Yes it is and they look SO SWEET and SMART too. That is why so many people like them I guess.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9104323

I don't like them. I don't . I SWEAR I don't.

And I don't want any. I don't.

Idon'tIdontIdon'tIdon'tidon'tidon'tidontidontidont
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 30, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9104388

Do you believe it yet?

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9105120

Thank You Porkpal and LFJ, they are the cutest little "Hams"! Awwww Cat, denial ...well...it just doent work...I know! Sad newstoday guys... Tuwanda only had 1 baby when I got home from work. I have no idea what happened to her other two. All I can figure is that either a small black snake got into the cage or those two tiny things wiggled out of the wire and something got them! either way Im so sad about it! but I have to buck up and admit this is the perils of raising chickens, everyday there are surprises good and bad! I still have tina and Gina on 4 eggs with Chauncey, we will have more babies soon.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9106530

Oh man, that is a shame. So sorry to hear that.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America