-
AuthorContent
desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9060905

Hello fellow heirloom lovers! I've been growing primarily heirloom varieties (as finances allowed, previously) for many years, as well as organic gardening and this year I am dedicated to using ONLY heirlooms, since the proliferation of genetically modified seeds has gotten so huge (thank you, Monsanto...*shudder) and as yet since there are no labeling laws we can't even know WHAT they have spliced into our food! I mean, really. Sure it would be nice to grow tomatoes that I didn't have to fight the horned worms for, but eating tomatoes that are spliced with horned worm genes? NOT!!! So, for you heirloom aficionados here, can you please help me understand if there is a way to better identify naturally created hybrids from laboratory created varieties? Are there such seeds that may not be "heirloom" but still safe to grow and eat?
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9062190

desert_witch, you might want to try the tomato forum with that question if you haven't already.

I noticed that my Wally-World had a big end-cap of Seeds of Change organic seeds. They (Seeds of Change) are a pretty reputable company so I was kind of surprised to see them in Wally-World. I think you have to go with what you know. And for me that means buying from a producer I know and trust.
desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9062235

Wow! Seeds of Change at WallyWorld? That's pretty awesome. I'll have to look next time I'm in town. A am sticking with sellers I know in the main but I always like to learn new things and this knowledge might help me when I'm trading as well. :-)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9063718

Terri is right you really need to post this on the tomato forum/vegatable forum or do a search, it has been discussed many times.

I dont know how to really answer this in a way that is understandable. Hybrid and GMOS are not the same thing. Hrybrids are xs that are pollinated by hand but they do the same crosses every year and we use the F1 seeds. The none labling has more to do with ingredients in foods then the seeds we plant out. All O/Ps where once hybrids that are now stabilized to come true. Hybrids dont have genes spliced in them, and to my knowlege these seeds are not avaliable to the general public and are not tomatoes, but more along the lines of soy beans and corn.

Companies that have the safe seed pledge are your best bet. But I would recommend doing one of the above suggestions to get a better answer.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9063780

Wouldn't it be false advertising to sell seeds with the name of a known OP variety that's been around 20 years or more, BUT genetically modified?

For example, Sungold, Rutgers, Glacier, Ildi, Early Wonder, Golden Rave, Early Girl, Marmand, Sub Arctic Plenty, Taxi, and Jaune Flammee are all known cultivars, some old enough to be heirlooms. If they were GMed or even hybridised, wouldn't it be false advertsing to call them by their traditional names?

I read some years ago that there were still rigid laws about grafting genes from other species into a food crop, and that there were very few (like just 1-2) such transgenic, edible crops at that time. 10-15 years ago? 20?

desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9063817

I thank you all... and "supposedly" there are laws at least regarding the genes from other species. But flowers and veggies that are advertised as "round up ready" have been genetically altered using the poison dna in order to be immune to it... As for the tomatoes, I was really just using that as an example. :-) I'm sure that there is (or would hope) safe genetic modification such as lab created hybridization, it's all the other things that might end up spliced into my seeds and could produce food that I don't care to eat.
Lisa, I am following and shopping from people who have taken the safe seed pledge but as long as there are no laws in place regarding the labeling of seeds that have been genetically modified...
Rick, according to much of what I'm reading all over the internet there is plenty of "false advertising" going on regarding seed varieties already. Most of the large seed companies get the bulk of their seeds from seed brokers and then name them as they will, it seems. It's all a little crazy.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9063837

>> Rick, according to much of what I'm reading all over the internet there is plenty of "false advertising" going on regarding seed varieties already.

I would not bet against that theory! And even where there are laws, I look at large corporations and I look at politicians, and I don't really overflow with trust and warm fuzzies.

Where did the "Roundup-Ready" gene come from? Bacteria? That should be transgenic to say the least! And yet it does seem to be in a huge number of food crops, which contradicts my impression that not MANY food crops were transgencially GMO. If I can find that GMO book again, I'll check its copyright date.

I seem to recall that "Bt" also comes from bacteria, ummm ... (Wikipedia, help me out ...) Bacillus thuringiensis ... but I forget what it is "for" ... Wiki ... yeah, "natural pesticide" or insecticidal endotoxins. Corn and cotton ... I wonder what else.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9063886

You really need to do a search or post on the veggie forum for that matter look on the veggie forum. There is so much info already on DG about this.

But GMOS and Hybrids simply are not the same thing. GMOS have genes that are not from said species. Hybrids are a cross between the same species to get natural hybrid vigor. There are laws regarding selling of seeds that are GMO as far as home gardeners go, just not in the food supply. I didnt say it made sense.

But there is so much info already here. This topic comes up every couple months. I dont know how to explain it, or where you are getting your information/propaganda. There is a lot of misinformation or 1/2 truths on this subject. But there are alot of threads that will answer all your questions. You just have to do a search or post on the appropriate thread to get an answer. The info is there. GMOs are very expensive to produce so there is little to no reason to get them to a home gardener. But yes there are labling laws regarding the seeds we grow.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9072222

I will only buy seeds from companies that have signed the Safe Seed Pledge.
http://tinyurl.com/85fs4l9

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9072614

HEY RICK, You forgot Marglobe 'Supermarket' that was my favorite from the 60's and 70's ,I have a Marglobe ,don't know if it's that one though,Looked for years afte I lost the seeds,Oh well.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9072641

Hmm, I had 'Marglobe' and 'Marglobe Supreme' listed as mid-season! Never heard of 'Marglobe Supemarket'.

Marglobe
Mid-Season
med red globe
"created heirloom"
4'-6' tall
SEMI-DET
regular leaf, F
The Seed Kingdom 2011

It shows a lot of love that there are SO many tomato varieties.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9072649

Sounds real close to being the same,was the best keeper of the time.I'll look those up shortly.I know those used most to make improved smaller varieties, it's a parent plant of 'cold set' and sinilar

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America