-
AuthorContent
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9061324

Pelle informed that it's time for a new thread. Admittedly, I've been lurking in the background enjoying everyone's photos. With Spring arriving it's great to see all of the birds that the changing seasons bring to us. If you wish to look at some of the more recent photos the following link will return you to the last thread.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1247847/

Personally, I've been doing very little bird photography. The warm weather that we had this winter altered bird behavior significantly. The question is, is this temporary or is it a trend ? Even the Osprey that normally fly south, as far as South America, hung around the southern Chesapeake Bay area during this winter. The Bald Eagles were fewer than previous years because they could stay put up North. Snow Geese were fewer than previous winters. I hope it's a temporary change.

I'll start this thread off with a few photos of the White Pelicans. Now for some, their sighting may be unusual but for here in Maryland they were seldom seen in previous years. I suppose the warmer weather is attributable for this trend, also. The first photo includes one large group at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge. Seldom are they close to the shoreline so one needs all of the reach they can get. These photos were taken at 700mm.

Note: Sorry for the photo duplication. It was way past my bedtime !!!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 6:57 AM

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum
Click an image for an enlarged view.

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9061330

Waterfowl numbers were also down, especially where I frequent. I don't recall any rare waterfowl sightings this Winter. Here are a few photos of the normal visitors.

The first two are of American Wigeons. The third is male Bufflehead and the last one is a male Canvasback.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9061331

This is a series of photos of the Green-winged Teal.

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9061336

The last series of ducks includes a lone Northern Pintail and three photos of the Lesser Scaup.

That's it for now. I'll be back later with a few more ...

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 29, 2012
2:33 AM

Post #9061411

Great shots Linth! I love seeing the Pelicans.

Thanks for starting the new thread!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9061491

Beautiful shots Linth. BTW, you can double-post anytime you wish, I love our photos.
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9061514

Thanks, Pelle and Granny Grunt. The White Pelicans are always a welcome sight.

Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge is home for a number of Bald Eagles. Tragedy struck this year's family that is displayed on the Backwater webcam when an intruding eagle killed the two eaglets. Biologists suggest that with the increasing population of Bald Eagles and the competition for nesting sites increases, this behavior may become more commonplace. I hope not ...

I've been following a few Bald Eagle nesting sites at Blackwater, on my occasional visits. Each year, Blackwater hosts a one day Eagle Festival which attracts a lot of people. I usually don't visit on that day because of the crowd but the "Friends of Blackwater" used a few of my photos in a collage advertising the event. The collage shows four different nests that are currently active. I probably won't revisit until the eaglets have reached the fledgling stage of their young life.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9061749

Too many great photos in the last thread-well done everyone. Burd, your leucistic junco sure is pretty with the white eye.

Linth, thank you for the wonderful new start. I love the pelicans and we've just had a few here and not the thousands as in past years. Beautiful photos of all the waterfowl. What an honor to have your photos used for the event-congrats. Sad story of the eaglets.

Here's a scrub jay, a house finch and a Calif. quail.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 29, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9062000

Love that Scrub Jay duc!
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9062103

Nice photos, duc. I always like to see the Scrub Jay. They are a beautiful bird, as is the California Quail. Our Quail are few and far between.

Just to emphasize the uniqueness of having the White Pelicans in the Mid-Atlantic area, I have attached a range map. You can see that nothing is noted in Eastern U.S., except Florida.

It's always amazing to me how quickly the Osprey arrive in large numbers. One day you see none and a week later they seem to be everywhere. Shooting toward the Sun doesn't lend itself to a lot of good photo opportunities. So with some of the Osprey photos, I've tried to salvage something out of them.

The first one was taken at the Osprey webcam location at Blackwater, at 700mm. It provides a good view of their wingspan. This photo was taken on the first day (3/15) that an Osprey arrived at Blackwater, this year.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9062111

Beautiful photos Linth!
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9062115

Thanks, nanny ... Here are a few Great Blue Heron photos.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9062126

While waiting patiently for some activity at one of Blackwater's eagle nests, I took these two photos of a Carolina Wren.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 29, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9062142

Sweet shots Linth!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9063053

Linth, funny how you said the osprey showed up everywhere. So far we've just got one pair on a nest. Hoping for more soon. I love all your photos, especially the heron shots-wow.

Here's a lessor goldfinch, a mockingbird, a pair of tree swallows and my female nuttall's woodpecker.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9063540

Nice photos, duc. I always like to see the Nutall's Woodpecker. ,

Have you heard the latest ? "Lady" of the Loch of the Lowes, in Scotland, returned yesterday for the 22nd consecutive year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-17561256
http://blogs.scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/osprey/

The webcam is up and running ...

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9063609

Oh my, do we dare watch...but glad to hear she did return!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9063617

Thank you Charlie for the great new thread, love all the pix y'all. Speaking of return. My Redheaded Woodpecker(s) left our backyard for over a year after the storm took down their nest from a standing dead pine tree. For the past couple of days, they came back to visit. But very cautious and camera shy. Today, I finally captured a few pix.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

March 30, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9063873

Great start to the new thread Linth!! Lots of beautiful photo's! Nice shots of your bird's Duc! You have Nuttall's WP's now? Nice! Lily glad you still have your Red-headed WP's..rare to see them here. Well I,m still have problem's posting photo's...its keep's throwing me to the home page and I lose everything I did...so I'll do what I did on the last thread and start of with just a shot and work my way from there. I haven't been visiting Dave's like I used to but I have met a lot of birder's in Ohio now and have become a member of a group called Birding Ohio. I will be doing some volunteer work for the group during http://www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com/

First I'll try to upload a Bald Eagle

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

March 30, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9063875

Ok, from there i'll try a couple more. lol

A Northern Cardinal and Elvis

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

March 30, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9063879

Hmm guess five pics is not going to happen...anyone else have this problem? A couple more and i,m done. lol

Gadwall's, Ring-necked Duck's, and lastly Sandhill Crane's. Have a backlog of photo's from the last month or so, will post some more next week.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 10:41 PM

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 31, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9064184

well, we just put our hummingbird feeder out, although they are probably hunkered down somewhere because it is COLD in Indian Lake! We also put some honey grain and nuts on the platform feeder for the other birds, hopefully the squirrels won't figure out what is in the red thing hanging on the lattice. But unfortunately they are not that stupid.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9064238

Wow, 22 years of nesting! That osprey is amazing.

Lily, your redhead is sure beautiful.

Burd, loved seeing all your beautiful photos too. Sounds like you're really enjoying the birds. Sorry you're having problems posting here.

Teddy, hope a hummer will come soon to your feeder.

Here's a handsome house finch, a female northern flicker, a junco and a house sparrow arguing over the seeds and a couple of my tree swallows.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 31, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9064336

The cereal that I have put on the platform feeder has been a big hit! Papa rb wp has been munching on it and so has some of the downy woodpeckers, the feeder is up but no takers so far. Papa has been around here quite often, he flew past my head earlier today, if I had moved a inch he would have crashed into me. I guess he has gotten used to us had to put another suet cake out too, the sparrows have been eating it too.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 31, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9064365

I'm not able to photograph birds. However I enjoy all those which are posted here. Red winged blackbirds are returned to the small local marsh near us. It is part of the sluggish Miles river which is near us.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 31, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9064845

Linth a very lovely start. So great you got to see the W Pelicans, what a treat! Our ducks are now arriving. Some do stay year round, but I don't get to see them, as the river near my place, is solid ice in winter. I have seen a few last week, took blank shots of some.(no card in camera. Duh!)

A wonderful beginning with all your photos, everyone. it's fun to see different birds, that are different from what I see.
Burd, I had that problem when uploading pictures here for a while. I downloaded Firefox, and It's working fine for me now, plus it's faster to view and post.

Female Brown-headed Cowbird, American Goldfinch, Purple Finch, Grackle.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

April 1, 2012
12:36 AM

Post #9065108

Mallard Ducks in flight at Northwood Park, Anchorage, Alaska, March 31, 2012.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 1, 2012
1:13 AM

Post #9065116

Great shots guys!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9065380

Teddy, glad your wp has been enjoying your feeder.

Burn, great photos of your pretty birds.

Gras, great photos of the ducks. I've always loved the mallards.

I had a great birding day yesterday. My first bullock's oriole arrived at the feeder. He arrived three days earlier than last year.
Then this white dove, identified as a Barbary or Ringed Turtle-Dove arrived. This is probably a domestic escapee, but it looked healthy.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9066731

Fantastic shots folks. Wonderful selection of birds.

Here one of my suet thieves!! Didn't even take time to clean his beak!!

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

April 2, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9066765

A pair of cardinals have been working on seeds dropped from our tube feeder.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9068173

Granny your little guy wasn't taught to use a napkin when eating-so cute!

Iris, hope you'll be seeing some young cardinals soon.

Here's a Bullock's oriole, an intergraded northern flicker, and some tree swallows.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

April 3, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9068218

www.youtube.com/embed/87xNpOYOlQ4?rel=0 I found this vid interesting.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9069135

Congrats Duc, on your Bullock's Oriole return. And nice escapee you've got. Love all your Tree Swallows. Good shot of the Suet Thief GG, Gary beautiful capture of the Mallard in flight. Burd, it's nice to see your posting. Looking forward to see more of your photos soon. I'll post to share a few water fowls I saw yesterday. I was so glad to haven found a few Pelicans -- stopping by during Spring migration yesterday at our local lake. Next is pic. Great Egrets, and 3rd is a GBH sunbathing.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9069151

Some more of the same birds.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9069255

Beautiful shots Duc, you are fortunate to have such a wonderful variety of birds. Love those Swallows.

Lily, you in such a beautiful place. Those shots are wonderful.
Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

April 4, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9069262

Great shots everyone!! A Ferrugious Hawk ( immature) has been found and confirmed within the past week at the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Int. Airport. According to the fellow who noticed this different looking (buteo) its been there for nearly 3 months. I will be taking a trip down there Friday, to observe and photograph it and will post images in a thread called Ferrugious Hawk.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 4, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9069372

My hubby saw our first Hummingbird yesterday, it is posted on the migration maps. I keep looking out at the feeder trying to get a glimpse of it. Here is a picture of the male cardinal that I got the other day, he was right above my head and here is a picture of a female cardinal that took several drinks out of my homemade birdbath. She had just turned around so I got a picture of her tail end, but at least they are drinking out of it.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9069382

Adel, I've never seen an eagle swim like that one in your link-sure was determined to get that duck. An amazing feat to watch.

Lily, glad you were able to see the pelicans. They sure are beautiful.

Burd, hope you can locate that hawk. I keep searching for the one that's in our area.

Here's a female red-winged blackbird, a purple finch and another first arrival-a female bullock's oriole.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9069469

Got a photo of our male and female Red-bellied Woodpeckers both at the suet feeder together yesterday morning. Late in the day I had a kinglet of some sort out here but the batteries in both cameras were dead!! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9069693

Amazing shots everyone ! The waterfowl are interesting to see. I live in town, and except for geese flying way overhead, I never get to see ducks, etc.

Anyway, nothing new at my feeders, but you sure can tell it is spring ! Here are two doves resting in one of my feeders. Are they a couple ?

Thumbnail by Countrymom

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 4, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9069941

Nice shot of the male and female nanny!

Great shots everyone!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9070611

Nanny, love your sweet pair of wps.

Countrymom, your doves look quite peaceful in that feeder.

Here's a house sparrow and a couple white-crowned sparrows.

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 6, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9071742

My hubby surprised me last night with a jumbo finch sock and a HOT PEPPER suet cake and a couple more. Also a ant moat to put on the big feeder to keep the ants out of the sugar water. Now all I have to do is get a suet cake feeder to put on the tree unless I can make something cheaper.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 6, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9071783

would it be alright to just put a wire through the middle of the suet cake and just take off the plastic and leave it in the plastic holder that it comes in and hang it that way on the tree? It seems like that would work, I am talking about the hot pepper suet cake to do that with. The other ones I am going to put in the upside down suet cake feeder.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9072022

This little fellow helped himself to shelled peanuts this morning. He posed for a photo.

Thumbnail by Countrymom

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 6, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9072038

Cute Tufted Titmouse Countrymom!

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9072154

Stunning pictures EVERYONE! Linth, amazed at the GORGEOUS photos you take when doing very little bird photography! Wonderful.

Thought I'd share some Great Horned Owlet photos. One was out of the nest yesterday. The other one leaned way out at one point, so it's probably out today. The last shot shows him stretching his big old foot!

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 6, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9072269

Wonderful photos everyone.

The birds I want to photograph, stay under shrubs, and in shrub, or fly off, before I get a chance to take a pic of them.
I`m not filling the open feeders lately, too many Grackles, Brown headed Cowbirds,Doves and Pigeons. I do fill the caged one though.

These has been taken a few days ago.
Black-capped Chickadee, Rock Pigeon, American Goldfinch, Mourning Dove, Grackle.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 6, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9072403

Elphaba, Love that Owlet !!!!

Sweet pics burn!
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

April 6, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9072455

Great Crested Flycatcher.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9072612

Beautiful pictures folks. Elphaba, those owlet shots are absolutely adorable.

Nice shots Burn, love the Dee.

thebestmissy
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9072892

Mute Swan at Lake Bob Sandlin in Titus County, TX

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 7:55 AM

Thumbnail by thebestmissy

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9072945

Countrymom, cute little titmouse.

Elphaba, that owlet couldn't be any cuter.

Burn great variety of cute birds. That feeder sure is nice.

GP, love your photo of the flycatcher.

Missy, beautiful photo of the swan.

Here's an intergraded northern flicker, a mockingbird that posed so you couldn't see the body, two house sparrows and a bewick's wren stretching to see if the peanut butter is better in the higher hole.

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

April 7, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9073013

Great shots all! Well I did get shots of the Ferruginous Hawk...hoping that i can post them here.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 7, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9073301

Nice shots of the Ferruginous Hawk Burd! We don't see that one very often.

Sweet shots duc!

Missy, Lovely shot of the Swan!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 7, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9073317

Got a suet cake holder, how high on the tree should I put it? Also have a hot pepper suet cake to put in it.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9073379

Duc, you even make a house sparrow look cute!

Stunning shots Burd. The gleam in the eye and the sharpness of the beak in that first one just amazed me.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9073423

red winged blackbird

Thumbnail by BCH521

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9073500

[quote="Burd_Fotos"]Great shots all! Well I did get shots of the Ferruginous Hawk...hoping that i can post them here.[/quote]

Congrats! Remember to add some to BirdFiles too ;-)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/go/620/

Resin
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 8, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9074339

Well we just put the suet cake holder on the tree and put the hot pepper suet in it, now just anxiously waiting for a bird to eat off of it. I have it where I can see it from inside since it is a little cool today, so here is hoping something will investigate.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 8, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9074405

This is the suet cake feeder and cake I was talking about, do you think it is high enough on the tree? A downy woodpecker tasted it and I thought that was a successful test, now if the bigger ones will try it, It is about 6 ft. off the ground.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

April 8, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9074717

Mourning Dove Calif. Quail

Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9075361

Burd, congrats on finding the hawk. Beautiful photos.

BCH, great photo of your red-winged.

Teddy, glad someone found the suet.

Adel, nice photos of your dove and quail.

Here's a black-headed grosbeak, a purple finch,a red-tailed hawk-note the second photo where an oriole sits both above and below the hawk and the last my hooded oriole.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 9, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9075647

Great shots duc! Love the Grosbeak and the Red-tailed Haw with the Orioles. The Hooded Oriole is gorgeous!

Handsome Quail adel!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9075879

Fabulous photos everyone!!

Had been hearing the Chipping Sparrows and finally got a bad pic of one!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 9, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9075884

GP, lovely pic of the Flycatcher, every time I get a shot of one, it's either unidentifiable or it's to far. I will continue to try to get a good one though.
Love Owls and Swans, I would love to see some of those. Teddy, I don't see why the suet feeder wouldn't be ok there. It's a good sign, if the Downy found it. Hope it attracts other WP for you.
Burd, thumbs up to you, on getting the Ferruginous Hawk. I would have been on a high with shots like that.
BCH521, you did great on getting the colors of the Red-winged Blackbird.
I like when you post the Quails, nice to see them here.
Duc, thanks. I'd love to bird watch at your place. You have a good assortment of them. The Hawk shot is a wowser.

Brown-headed Cowbird, a pair Hooded Merganser, Robin, Song Sparrow, and a Downy WP.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 9, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9075890

Nanny, we posted at the same time. Great your seeing the Chipping, I'm checking everyday here, for them.
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

April 9, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9075941

Good catch Duc on the two Orioles. I guess they figure they can move fast enough to get away if needed.
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

April 9, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9075948

The Lesser Goldfinch just started showing up today.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

April 9, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9076077

Love the pictures. Our cardinal pair is around, hoping to nest again.
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9076211

Very nice photos, everyone. I really like your Ferruginous Hawk, Burd. And, duc, it's always nice seeing your Hooded Orioles and Black-headed Grosbeak. I've had very little variety around my feeder but here are a couple of photos. The first is an American Goldfinch. Second is a female Eastern Bluebird. Next is a Tufted Titmouse. Lastly is a Chipping Sparrow. All shot at 700mm.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 10, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9076634

Wonderful shots adel, burn and Linth!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 10, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9076663

Hello everyone. Pelletory has asked me to start a new thread, so if you're thinking of posting anything, hold off.

Beautiful start and finish to this thread, Linth.

Here's the link to the new thread:-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1251601/

This message was edited Apr 10, 2012 7:33 PM
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 10, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9077086

SUCCESS!!!! The female red bellied woodpecker discovered the suet on the tree, here is a picture of her eating, my hubby gave me his camera and it zooms a lot better than mine. So enjoy!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 10, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9077113

Teddy, Nice pic but your in the wrong thread again.

Please repost your photo in the NEW THREAD- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1251601/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America