Photo by Melody

Article: The Perfect Strawberry: ‘Mara des Bois’: Nice looking . . .

Communities > Forums > Article: The Perfect Strawberry: ‘Mara des Bois’
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Perfect Strawberry: ‘Mara des Bois’Replies: 11, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9061538

. . . strawberries!! I haven't heard of the ‘Mara des Bois', but do prefer the ever-bearing varieties.

Thanks for the info, and your pics make my mouth water!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9061689

I'll be ordering more from Miller this year... last year was tough on the new plants. I just put a dozen 'Quinalt' into grow bags to hang on the deck, so I might try that with some 'Mara' also...

Meanwhile, here's a hot tip... I got 4 pounds of strawberries for $8 from Costco a couple days ago (just joined). Price & quality are as good as any "in season," from the store. They're not quite as tasty as 'Mara', but the berries are sweet and fragrant and HUGE (the "eat them like an apple and throw away the core" kind of huge).

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9062298

I think 'Quinalt' is what I have too. I got all my starts from a friend that got them from Lowe's. They're big sellers there.

My son just brought home a carton of the biggest strawberries I've ever seen. I was surprised that they were all red and not mushy. We'll see how well they taste tonight with shortcake & whipped cream!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9062685

I just love luscious, juicy strawberries, but I think most of mine would be eaten by our critters (i.e. the rabbits, chippies and squirrels). How I would love to grow some.

Karen
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9062699

There was a vendor at the Philly Flower Show specializing in selling strawberry plants... in fact, that's all they sold. strawberry plants. one variety -- Quinalt. !?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9062703

Karen, you might try some in a hanging basket or grow bag... you'd at least have "garden snacks" even if you didn't harvest quarts each day. I think I'm going to have to protect my grow bag from the birds & squirrels who have become accustomed to getting snacks from feeders on the deck... I think I can just drape netting over it if need be.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9063791

Oh, that's a good idea! Maybe I'll give it a try. Would be nice to grow some in a window box, maybe several of them.

Karen
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9063839

Go for it! I've tucked alpine strawberries just here & there among flowers... no reason not to do that with regular strawberries, as far as I know, although the plants might not be as big or as productive with competition from other plants.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9064465

You know, that sounds like a good idea. I like that sound of that even better.

Karen
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9064531

I can picture a tidy little border of strawberries along the edge of a daylily bed... you know you want to dig that bed outward another couple of feet anyway... *whistling* :-)

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9064943

Jill, you're an enabler, lol!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9065016

LOL! We're all enablers here!

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Perfect Strawberry: ‘Mara des Bois’ Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Why aren't they shipped to California prowlcat 0 Apr 2, 2012 6:46 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America