-
AuthorContent
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9061645

The new season is here and so let's keep a record of our Epie blooms!
First 3 pics are of April Showers which is an excellent mid size blooming epie. Very reliable.
The last two are German Empress which are very prone to plant dying off and much more picky.

This message was edited May 10, 2012 1:27 PM
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9061665

We'll try one at a time photos...maybe

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9061667

two

Thumbnail by orchidman1

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9061669

three

Thumbnail by orchidman1

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9061673

four
This is German Empress, a medium size bloomer.

Thumbnail by orchidman1

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9061676

five

Thumbnail by orchidman1

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 29, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9061838

Nice blooms! I have a few early blooms on German Empress too, but the rest are a long way from blooming.
I've had no problems loading multiple pics, but I hate that you have to make all comments/descriptions on the first line, and can't add a name to each pic as you go.
ginger749

March 29, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9062486

Those first ones are a great colour Bob.
I just got a new piece today.
I'll be posting Pictures later today.
I hope it is like yours.

Thanks for sharing your 2012 Blooms.

Can never see too many pictures.

kell.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9064855

Very nice blooms, thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to get some blooms this year from my plants that were started from cuttings 2 years ago.

For posting pictures, I use Windows Paint to modify the size of the pictures to 25%, and I can then post up to five pictures per line. Best of luck with you blooms this season.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 5, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9070931

Awesome photos Bob, Mine haven't started blooming yet. For some reason my April Showers didn't set buds. I may have kept it too dry over the winter.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9077864

Hello Ibarto. I hope our trades are doing well. I was surprized today with Disocactus x hybridus 'Ackermannii'. Blooms are smaller this year for some reason yet very nice dark red. Mine are just starting to bud . I saw today buds on Strictum, Mor Mor, and Fiesta de Flores. I anticipate many more. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9078536

Think I love the red better than the pink one. They are beauties.

Lavina
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 11, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9078622

You are making me drool. My temps are dropping to the low 30's tonight, so this morning, hubby and I ran around grabbing all the epis and rhips we could along with some other tender things and put them all back in the greenhouse. Actually it is a good thing tho. They can get some more attention before I bring them back out.
Yes Bob, the cuttings you sent look great. I hope the ones I sent are doing well too.
Does anyone have a picture of the selenecereus grandiflorus blossom? I have several plants and haven't ever seen it flower.

I don't think I can choose a favorite!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9078665

orchidman1 wrote:Hello Ibarto. I hope our trades are doing well. I was surprized today with Disocactus x hybridus 'Ackermannii'. Blooms are smaller this year for some reason yet very nice dark red. Mine are just starting to bud . I saw today buds on Strictum, Mor Mor, and Fiesta de Flores. I anticipate many more. bob

May I ask a question Bob and Linda? I was told by I think Dave on the Cactiguide.com that the true D. ackermanii is very rare, yet I read people talking about it frequently. Is that the same you are talking about here? The one I have is red and it is only getting new growth from a real hard trim by the previous owner. I was wondering how often do they bloom after they become acclimated to their new homes. Linda, whatever you sent me is growing like a weed but has not bloomed yet. You did not say what color it was. Sorry to butt in, I am very interested in learning more about them. JB

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 12, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9079470

JB, do not feel like you are butting in. You are most welcome here. I have never heard of Ackermanii being rare. Bob do you know? JB, The colors I sent you will come as a big surprise... I don't have a clue. LOL I know the ones with the widest leaves were epiphyllum oxypetalum and will be white. I am almost sure I also sent you an epiphyllum strictum which will also be white. The others unless I wrote the names on the cuttings are unknown and won't be id'd until they bloom.They won't bloom until they are root bound. and their blooming season is usually anywhere from mid march- june.

ibartoo

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9079533

Thank you Linda. I will write you exactly what they wrote to me when I ask them to identify this cacti...he said this is what it is:

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Disocactus&species=x hybridus

Then he said "Here are the parents: One is common in cultivation, one is almost nonexistent. While the true D.ackermanii is even more rare!"

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Disocactus&species=speciosus

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Disocactus&species=phyllanthoides

I have this very old plant I inherited from a woman who just died last Fall. it has bloomed but it was so big they had to cut it back to get it into the car to bring it here.

Here is a quick shot of it. I am wondering how much to water it, when to feed it, when to expect blooms, when to take cuttings.
Not much I know about them. Especially since I do not know if it is an Epi or whatever. I thought it was a red Easter Cactus. LOL

Thumbnail by JBerger

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9080011

I do have the information you seek.

Disocactus x hybridus 'Ackermannii' (the common hybrid we all have)
1. Flowers red
2. Stems 2-3 angled, flowers campanulate, stigma lobes white - D. x hybridus 'Ackermannii'

2. Stems never 3-angled, flowers not campanulate, stigma lobes purplish red - species - D. ackermanii (This is the native, rare type--the purlish stigma is your best clue) bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9080250

Ibarto: selenecereus grandiflorus is our friend Oxypetlum or Queen of the Night. When you are told that it is rare it is because almost all Oxy's are now hybrids of the native selenecereus grandiflorus which were from the lower Americas. Chances of having a first generation cutting from a native plant is very unlikely. Mine are all hybrids and I 'll post pictures of both Oxypetalum (first) and strictum for you. They are still labeled Selenecereus Grandiflorus.

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9080741

Bob, this old girl has several three angle stems and I wondered if that was normal. Thanks for the other info. I have so much to learn about these plants. There are so many hybrids and colors I do not know where to begin. I would doubt mine is very rare. LOL

the white and cream are beautiful.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 13, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9081692

Ok Bob, then I have the wrong name for this plant. The plant I have has tubular stems and spines. Not flat leaves like my oxypetalums. I will go back to researching. Heaven only knows what it may turn out to be. LOL I will try to snap a picture tomorrow.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 13, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9081694

These are what my stems on this one look like. I was thinking it was selenecerus coniflorus, but I guess that is a synonym for s. grandiflorus. Any ideas?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9081893

Linda was there to be a picture on that last post? if so, I did not get it. JB
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 14, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9082210

oops, I will try again...
http://www.cybertruffle.org.uk/vinales/eng/selenicereus_grandiflorus.htm
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

April 18, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9087154

Bob/orchidman1...thanks so much for providing the description of Ackermanii... and the obvious characteristics of Disocactus x hybridus 'Ackermannii'... mine fits this bill!
Mine has just finished blooming. Your description has helped me stop wondering. The hybrid is very lovely and I am very happy with my plant that someone passed on to me several years ago.

My strictum has been a very good bloomer and put out 5 sets of blossoms all last summer. Anxiously waiting for my oxypetallum to bloom this year...she has several buds.

Master of Mars blooming now. The varieties I have are some old-timers, I think, but none-the-less, the blossoms are all stunning. I'm won over and proudly claim a new plant addiction!! ;-)

Linda, likewise, the cuttings you sent me last year survived the winter in my greenhouse and are rooting nicely. Thanks again for your generosity

Brenda B.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9088377

Brenda etal: Please remember to post your blooms so we can all enjoy.

Thumbnail by orchidman1

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 19, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9088778

Brenda, it is good to hear from you. Glad your plantlets are doing well.

What are you all feeding your epis?

Bob, the cuttings you sent me are looking great. 1 of the german empress cuttings looked yesterday as tho she had the purple chicken pox tho. I don't know what caused that so I have some research to do.

As soon as I get buds, you will hear from me. You will probably see the happy dance from where you are.

Gotta run, linda
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9088941

Happy birthday Orchidman1

Lavina
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

April 19, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9089045

Bob, Happy Birthday too!

I feed them something I shouldn't, evidently from what I have read on this forum. A time release 12-8-6, something like that. I will mend my ways as far as the fertilizer used in the future. Cuttings were planted 2 years ago in potting soil, soil conditioner (bark) and perlite mixture. Kept for two winters in a cool greenhouse, not by choice but dictated by the size of the power bill. I was tight for hanging space so planted three varieties of leaf cuttings in each 8" pot. I have to refresh the names every year, and keep a plant tab on each one. I have only lost the name on one, so my system is working so far.

My plants are going outside next week to hang under the cherry tree all summer. Hopefully a fair amount of rain this summer will leach out the excess nitrogen in the soil.

This is my Disocactus x hybridus 'Ackermannii'... evidently a popular variety, since I see so many photos that look like it.

Thumbnail by wholyhosta

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 19, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9089108

Happy Birthday Bob!
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9089209

Happy Birthday, Bob!

Hmm. I seem to have missed the feeding advice for German Empress. Mine looked really spotted last year, but the new growth looks good. I give mine Vitabloom (0-10-10) in spring, Osmocote (14-14-14) for the summer, and nothing during the cold weather. I suppose the little rain we got this winter could have leached out the Osmocote, if that was the problem.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9089640

OC I've never seen a perfect German Empress before. They always have spots and ugly growth. Mine will always have dead leaf growth alongside healthy. All that I have read says this is the norm. Yet, beautiful blooms come forth.
Thanks for the Birthday wishes. Much appreciated. bob
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9089653

Haha! that's what I've read too. Looking at mine again, it seems the new growth is starting to get spots now.
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

April 20, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9090094

HI, I could not find where I stored my epie photos, so went out this morning and took a photo of Master of Mars. It dropped the other buds ... our weather has been either really, abnormally, hot ... or like now, turning off to our cooler, but more normal weather. Spring's yo-yo!

I appreciate the info that is shared here.

Thumbnail by wholyhosta

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9091143

Tonight a new epie bloom or two: Mor Mor makes it's 2012 appearance. Smaller blooms than last year. bob

wholyhosta
Lula, GA

April 21, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9091205

Bob, those are so lovely...
I don't have any epies like that yet ...I'll see how I do with the ones I have for now before I start haunting eBay for some newer varieties.

Is it the temps that make the blossoms smaller? What are the variables affecting this? We did have a really hot summer last season.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9091520

Does anyone know of a person or store that may have a Schlumbergera opuntioides? I have a customer who wants one to give his 80 year old Mother for her birthday. I just do not have any and neither do any of the wholesalers I deal with. Maybe I should consider starting to handle those. Who has room for all the species and hybrids????LOL I checked on DG but everyone there is also on the WANT list.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9099248

My Mor Mors above are really Mor Mor followed by German Empress. I Hurried too much. The attached are this year.s Mor Mor.
Wholyhosta: Love your picture of Master of Mars. Mine is ready to bloom for the first time and I now know what to expect bob

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9099351

Tonight's surprise bloom is Strictum; This is early in the season. The bloom was in the ceiling of the greenhouse which didn't make for great pictures. bob

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 27, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9100727

I really need to feed mine! I believe I will start feeding again tomorrow.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9101858

Tonights surprise is Alchemy; a beautiful yellow. Bloom is around 5 inches across and this is it's first bloom.

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9101883

Nice seeing all these amazing epi's.

We have a small collection, but so far not many have bloomed yet for us, but I am sure they will at some point. But we do have a lovely one out now. It is the first year that this one has bloomed. It has had many huge blooms so far with more to come. Patience seemed to have worked. It is Epiphyllum Mr. P.

We planted a cutting of it in our GH on April 9, 2007 as bought from Mark Piette. I will post more shots of others if they ever spring forth. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd   Thumbnail by bbrookrd

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9102589

Love the bloom. Nice color.

Thumbnail by orchidman1

Ravens444
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9103122

WOW!
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 29, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9103143

I agree...WOW! I've never seen one like that before.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9109232

Todays new bloom is Alchemy, I'M sure it will open wider but we'll see. This is it's not the first bloom and there are many more buds. I see that Caroline and Fieste de Flores will bloom very soon as well as Ackermanii and several more. bob

This message was edited May 4, 2012 9:42 AM

Thumbnail by orchidman1

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 4, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9110226

Bob, you've got to tell me what you are feeding them. Mine don't even have buds!
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 4, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9110679

That's a beauty!
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9110876

I use 10-10-10 with all my plants; greenhouse and garden. I use it also in my in-line watering system-- I just put it in a blender, blend and add to the injector canister. I also feed every time I water bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 5, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9111532

Thanks Bob, I am going to try something new. How can you feed every time you water without over feeding them and how if you don't mind me asking do you use an injector cannister?
Thanks,
Linda
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9112100

I bought the in-line canister on

I bought the in line canister on Amazon.com for $9.95. I just added it to my PVC water line that feeds my greenhouse watering system. I spliced it into the line after the Turn on valve so it would not get into my water lines. I put granular 10-10-10 in a bucket and let it dissolve. I have an old blender that I use to liquidfy the resulting mash which I then pour into the canister. The canister adds the fertilizer to the watering system. It provides a light feeding about once a week. I also have a misting system which comes on for 5 minutes everyday during hot weather and once a week in cold weather. The mister does not carry fertilizer.

a

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9112184

This one is always the first to bloom.
A friend gave it to me as a cutting and it's only name is "Vena's Red" after my friend Vena.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 6, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9112577

Thanks Bob, I think that is a little more advanced that I am ready for just yet. I am not set up for all of that. I am planning to re-pot the cuttings I have started with the names attached into hanging baskets and move some of the other no-id baskets into a different area. I know there is no identifying them just by the bloom, but I found a list of some that I had bought when I first began collecting them. I am hoping maybe I can see flowers and possibly attach at least colors to the baskets.

Domehomedee, That red is just gorgeous.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9115916

Two new surprises last night. The red is ackermanii which bloomed earlier in the season. The aster shaped pink is Wild Thing which is very different than when it bloomed several years ago. The blades are much thinner and the color less intent. The third picture is of my first bloom on Wild Thing two years ago for comparison. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 8, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9116450

That's quite a difference, Bob. Any thoughts as to why ? genes? weather? nutrients?
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9116458

Tonights bloom is over 12 inches across and a beautiful color. Had to take this picture by flashlight and I will add a daylight picture tomorrow. The name is "Caroline"

OC: I think the difference was in timing. The next day the coloration was much more intense.
The bloom was somewhat smaller, however.

This message was edited May 8, 2012 9:01 PM

Thumbnail by orchidman1

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9117006

This first bloom of my newest Epie bloom which is Caroline and this photo shows truer color since it is taken in daylight. Oranges, pinks, lavenders all are vividly displayed here.

The second picture is after Wild Thing had a day to age from the last picture where it was so pale. A significant color change has occurred. bob

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 10, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9118715

Bob, Those are both gorgeous!
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9124041

Tonights new bloom is Fiesta de Flores. First time it's bloomed and it is about a foot wide. I also had two strictums that I missed seeing when they bloomed. Strictum blooms throughout the season and bloomed already earlier this year. bob

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 17, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9127177

Wow! Bob, those are gorgeous! I had 1 once, but it was a much deeper orange color. It may have been confused with padre!
av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9127385

Gorgeous !!! You always have the best pictures. I'm still waiting for my puny little cuttings to flower. This is only their second year. They are growing very well so I'm hoping for flowers next year. I have not had much bloom this year at all.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9130941

What a wonderful gift today brought! The first is Vista Sun--orange and pink shades, just beautiful. Around 10 inches. Secondly, a full 14 inch Caroline. I have never seen such a large bloom.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9131073

Anyone know what this is? I have had this one forever. It gets huge, I have mine in a half wine barrel.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #9131461

Love the Vista Sun its unique and cheerful looking.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 21, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9132392

I agree! Sun Vista is stunning!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America