Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Green Beans

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 11, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9062002

Has anyone ever successfully transplanted green beans? I'm doing it today. Wish me luck.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9062039

behillman - I've transplanted peas successfully, so I imagine beans would be about the same.

First make the holes where you plan for the beans to go, adding fertilizer (if needed) and especially water to each hole.

Dig your trowel way down under each individual bean, and lift it with as much soil as possible, then gently place it into a hole.

I'm wishing you good luck ^_^

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9067862

I start my pole beans inside every year and transplant them. Never had any problems.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9069506

I just transplanted Ky Wonder Pole beans a couple weeks ago, and they're doing fine.

I start them in 6 oz yogurt cups, and it's EZ to push the whole root ball up and out without it breaking apart. That seems to be the main consideration in transplanting plants that don't like root disturbance.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9069571

I sow a 24ft row of beans each year, I don't think I have enough indoor space to sow that amount of beans.

I'm skipping pole beans this year and sowing bush beans instead. I might need a new back by September! LOL
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9078161

my Kentucky Wonders were successfully transplanted. now if the local birds would find others things to build thier nests that would be swell.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9078258

synsfun - I'm in a love/hate relationship with birds, too. But I enjoy watching them at the feeder, and it's especially nice to watch the Chickadees picking off aphids early in the morning.

And if birds and wasps didn't eat all the caterpillars, I don't think we'd have a garden left!
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9078280

Thats a main issue I have right now. I have some Morning Glory seedlings that i think some lil green caterpillars are using as an all-you-can-eat buffet. I've managed to catch some of them, but some are still eluding me. sneaky lil devils!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9078448

One of our blueberry bushes has been completely stripped of leaves. I assume it was done by caterpillars. They are especially numerous this year - dropping down on us from the trees above.The roses are taking a beating, too.

A couple of years ago, the County sprayed Bt from the air to kill an invasion of tent caterpillars without regard to the fact that when you kill off pests, you lower the number of preditors because they starve. Now the ratio of preditor to pest is out of wack, and it will take time for the preditor numbers to climb enough to put things in balance once again.

I prefer to let Mother Nature do what she has been doing for millions of years. I've never used pesticides or fungicides on anything I'm going to eat, and this approach has served me well over the years.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9078453

if i see a pest, they go squish, but in my hands. ewwwww!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9078463

Yes, I've squished or stomped on a few myself. LOL
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9078464

I need to make a contract with the local birds here, that would be nice.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America