Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Wet paper towel technique for germination?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
juliosainz760
Vista, CA

March 29, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9062168

i am having problems germinating watermelon seeds in the paper towel technique, they been inside the baggy for over a week and none have a root. i placed them in top of my tv box which is always on and its warm, what am i doing wrong ,,also does bag have to be open so there is some ventilation.,,,please help
Coons48
Corpus Christi, TX

March 29, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9062213

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To2DlJwErao

Here is a link for info on what you need. She is very informative and I have used her method with success. You can also trying setting up different conditions for your seed's. One with heat, one with sunlight, one in cool shade...

Good Luck
KathyWid
Clover, SC

March 29, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9062227

Here's another page with a video that explains how to pre-germinate seeds.
http://www.tomatodirt.com/germinate-seeds.html
juliosainz760
Vista, CA

March 29, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9062252

so i got some other seeds that already have a root, after planting it with soil, do i still leave them inside or do i put them outside so that way they can get sun
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 2, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9067302

If it don't get too cold at night then you can put them outside but maybe put a sheet of newspaper over the pots to protect from too cool air, I never plant out till there are at least 2 proper leaf's showing, this tells me the plants have developed enough strength to support itself a bit better, remember to water too.
Good luck, Weenel.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9078204

ideally seeds need warm moist soil. when germinate seeds they dont get transplanted until they developed true leaves. At that point, theyre telling me they're for some warm sunshine. (Sorry about the bad punctuation)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America