Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Potatoes planted upside-down???

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 12, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9062940

I did something really stupid-I planted some of my seed potatoes with the eyes down. They've been in the ground for 10 days. The ones I planted correctly have sprouted, but they are in another grow bag. Should I dig down and turn the ones I planted incorrectly?
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9062953

Yep, I'd dig down and turn 'em. You won't hurt them.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9066646

Thank you! One of them sprouted over the weekend, but I'm not sure I planted them all the same.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9066851

Plants have a way of knowing which is "up" and which is "down" so I would leave them alone. It is probably taking those planted up-side-down a little longer because they have to grow a longer stem to reach the soil surface.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 2, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9067227

There is no way UP for Potato's, they will find there own way to send the stems and leaves to the top of the soil, Potato's are like all other plants and don't all grow at the same rate so I would leave them alone, IF you do dig down you could brush off the eye's and therefore get no potato's or have to re-sprout the seeds, make sure you give plenty water if your growing potatoes in containers and have drainage holes either in the bottom or close to.
Good luck. WeeNel.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9068093

Thanks y'all!! Reporting in-new sprouts yesterday!!! They seem to be fine!! I love gardening!!!
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9078184

i was thinking of trying out potatoes this year, could i get a potato from a grocery and strt from there? and if i could how would I start it?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9078246

synsfun - My step father always purchased seed potatoes to avoid diseases, but you can try a supermarket ones instead.

The potatoes you purchase in the store might have been treated to prevent the "eyes" from sprouting.

Very small potatoes can be planted "whole". Larger potatoes should be cut so each piece has at least one or two "eyes".

My step-father dug a trench that was about a shovel or so deep and about a foot wide. On one side I placed a pre-sprouted piece of potato. On the other side of the trench he sprikled some lime. He said this would "sweeten the soil".

As the potatoes grew, he filled in around the stalk until it eventually reached level ground.

The potatoes would flower. When the flower and leaves died, we dug potatoes.

These instructions are from my childhood memory, (mid 1950's) but I don't think growing potatoes has changed much since then. Personally, I grow sweet potatoes which have different growing requirements.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9078284

hmmm I think I'll try using One potatoe and see how that fairs. thanks Bee

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9078301

synsfun - take notes and keep us posted ^_^
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9078308

gotcha!
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9078544

synsfun-someone suggested that I purchase mine from a small co-op store rather than a large box store. The ones I purchased at a regular supermarket last year did really poorly. They were hard and unfit for consumption! Had beautiful leaves though! Anyway, I followed the advice and all my potatoes are coming up and looking great-hopefully this year they will be eatable! Bee's instructions are right on the money BTW. I purchased potato grow bags this year, but you can basically grow them in anything. You just keep covering them with soil as they grow each 8". I'm using the bags because potatoes take up so much space in the garden. Good luck!
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9078610

hmmm may have to do that then

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America