Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: OKRA, Part llI

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 203, Views: 1,477
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9063026

We came from here:
►PART I http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1115764/
►PART II http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1182566/

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9063222

I'm going to grow 2 varieties this year, Emerald Green and Hill Country Red. What is everyone else going to grow??

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9063341

I'm growing Cowhorn, Red Burgundy, and Clemson Spineless. Still trying to get that bumper crop of okra...
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 30, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9063361

I love okra most specially pickled.

Belle

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9063363

Stewed okra with shrimp and ham over a steamy bed of white rice. Hot sauce on the side is a must!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 30, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9063368

You are making my mouth water!! Yes I cook mine with shrimp too sauteed with garlic and onions!! yummy!!!

Belle
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9063812

As per all the posts I made in last year's okra thread, I'll be growing a BUNCH of Stewart's Zeebest this year. That's a great variety!

We had a nice surprise the other day. I noticed what I thought was a good-size bag of frozen green beans from the garden in the freezer of my garage beer 'fridge. I told my wife about it and said we'd better use them up, as I'll be picking fresh green beans in a couple of months. She got the bag out, and it was OKRA. We thought we'd run out of frozen okra a couple of months ago. So, we had a big bunch of okra roasted with olive oil that evening that I didn't expect. Good!

I've been rationing last year's pickled okra all winter. I've got figured out that I can finish a pint of it every two weeks and it'll last until summer and (hopefully) more fresh okra being picked.

Speaking of pickled okra, what I made last year turned out great but I think I'll try something new. I've been making sauerkraut for a couple of years and it's so good I've become interested in lacto-fermentation. I'm determined to make some natural cucumber pickles this year by growing some little gherkin-type cukes and fermenting them like kraut in a food-grade plastic bucket with a weight on them and some grape leaves added for crispness (lots of recipes and the procedure can be found with a Google search).

Now I'm thinking about including some whole okra pods with the cukes to let them lacto-ferment together and make pickles. I think I'll try that with a small separate batch anyway - it oughta work.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9063825

Uh, and you're gonna kitchen-test then post the recipes, right?
rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9064151

This is my first year to try okra (or anything spring/summer from seed). I started my okra, peppers, and tomatoes at the same time in mid February. My 12 plants are about 4 inches tall and very bushy. Hope to get them in the ground first week of May!

-Vaughn

Edited to add: I am growing Cajun Delight

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 9:25 AM

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9064159

What's the recipe for roasted okra? I love it boiled smothered with butter! LOL Would like to try something a bit healthier.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 31, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9064374

We roast whole okra a lot, and eat with tomato, green onions and cilantro.

Belle
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9064431

"What's the recipe for roasted okra?"
----------------------------

Aha - my job is to raise it and eat it. Hang on while I call the cook.

Mrs. Ozark here! I wash the okra, cut the stem ends off, and cut the pods into bite-size pieces. Coat the pieces with olive oil, add salt, pepper, and a little cayenne pepper if desired. Spread them in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with foil and roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Toward the end I watch them and will end the roasting a little earlier or later than 20 minutes based on appearance. When the pieces each have a little golden brown on them, they're done.

Other veggies may be added to the cookie sheet for roasting of course, but we like our okra straight. lol

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9064702

Thanks! We'll have to give that a try this summer.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9078243

nothing beats okra in a chicken and sausage gumbo! i have a row of 20 Clemson Spineless growing here.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9078590

EXCEPT, short-boned beef stew, andouille sausage, shrimp, and ham with that chicken and sausage in that okra gumbo...uh, and that's Bryan Sausage!

LOL!!!
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9078604

hmmm maybe time to fire up the gumbo pot now. gee thanks alot lol

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9078632

Noooooooooooooooooooooo, not the gumbo pot, not now -- too HOT!!!

Cain't breathe...'gasping for a-i-r...arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhh...
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9078641

never too hot for gumbo. hahahaha

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9078645

Uh, that would be "never too hot for COFFEE..."
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9078652

that too
rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9090782

Okra has been in the ground for a week and the deer and the bunnies have only eaten half of them so far. Chewed the leaves all the way to the stem but left the flowers. I should probably start more seed if I want to see any okra pods.

-Vaughn
LizaMouse
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9092096

I've had great luck growing clemson spineless in a swampy part of the yard for the past two years. This year I have cajun delight and cowhorn. And they're in five gallon buckets instead of the ground. Not sure how that's going to go. I may have to plant an "emergency row" of the clemson in the swamp. Just in case.

This message was edited Apr 21, 2012 6:21 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9092130

Im planning on growing Jing Okra and maybe White Okra (never heard of it, somebody gave it to me). I say planning, because up until I read this thread the only way I would eat it is pickled. lol I have also done a quick inventory of seeds and there is no why that everything is going to fit in my one garden. May have to plant in my lower garden too. Tomatoes, peppers and beans are things I have to grow everything else is just for fun and has a much bigger plant out to harvest window.

Why do I have 9 types of basil (I guess those can go in containers), 5 types of Amaranth, 6 types of pumpkin/winter squash, 5 types of cucumbers, 7 types of melons, 7 Inca Berry Plants, tomatillos, ground cherries and Roselle? I was really hoping on down sizing this year. May have to rethink this...LOL
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 21, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9092191

Ilisac,

You mustb have a big garden to be able to plant that many,

Belle
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9092883

I actually have 2 big gardens but was planning on down sizing this year. I may not sow all the seeds I have. They will still be good next year.

Some of the seeds may get sown later. Ive never had a problem starting many of these much later in the season. The temps are going up and down so much right now, and I can only do so much in a day. It was in the high 40s last night. I just want to get my main stuff planted and my Market Plants done. Then I can relax and think what comes next.

Still cant figure out why/how I got all these seeds. LOL

This message was edited Apr 22, 2012 12:02 PM
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9092932

I soaked Stewart's Zeebest okra seeds overnight, then started them indoors (where they still are until our weather stabilizes). In my experience, okra doesn't transplant real well but you can get away with it by being careful not to disturb the roots. Last year we had a cool, wet May and I had to replant okra about three times so I'm trying to avoid that this year.

Of the 46 seeds I sowed indoors only 28 came up. Still, if I can raise 28 plants of this variety that produced 5 to 7 pods a day per plant for me last year, that'll be a lot of okra!
rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9092960

I just ordered more seeds. Clemson spineless and some burgundy okra from Baker Creek in bulk. I should still have plenty of time to get some okra.

-Vaughn

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9093329

I'm putting some Emerald Green & Hill Country Red seeds to soak tonight. I plan on putting them in the ground on Tuesday morning.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 22, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9093381

Ozark,
The seeds you sent me are sprouting and will be transplanted in few days. The location is not quite ready.

I remember your okra pictures last year and you plants are very bushy and dies not get too tall. Do you pinch the top when they are young?

Belle
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9093405

Belle, no I never topped the plants but I broke off leaves several times so I could pick.

Stewart's Zeebest makes some real impressive plants with multiple branches. Last year I only had 8 plants in a 12-foot row, and that was 'way too close. This time I'm going to allow 3 feet between plants, and if I could bring myself to space okra that widely they probably ought to be even further apart than that. I'm glad those seeds are sprouting for you. As I said, I only had 28 of 46 seeds come up, so the germination could have been better.

A Stewart's Zeebest picture from 2011:

Thumbnail by Ozark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9093409

My Okra has been transplanted outside.

Thumbnail by drthor

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9093446

You don't want to pinch the tops or top them because the pods form as the okra grows up on new growth.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9093474

I am planting my Okra plants closed together because I remove the bottom older leaves to give them to my DH pets.
In this way they can grow closer.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9094362

I plant mine about 2' apart because they get so huge. We trim off the bottom leaves, but only up about 18" from the ground.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9094393

I have seedlings still in the IHORT plugs. My plan is to pot them up one time, this evening.

Glad I haven't put them out yet, because the temps keep going up and down here. We're having mornings in the mid-50s. Last season, my plants didn't show anything because of our schizophrenic weather...And, as my weatherman reminded me this morning, we still have 5 months of HEAT ahead...
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9094865

same here in louisiana, we're getting the easter weather a lil late for this time of year. throwing my sinisus of balance.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9095270

This message was edited Apr 24, 2012 6:34 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9095275

It was 47* this am. 62* at Austin Airport which is a distance from here. It's supposed to warmer then even cooler this weekend. It is helping me out tho because I don't feel like I need to get everything out there right now. The heat loving stuff can wait. Some of the best pumpkins I ever had I planted in August and they were ready just in time for Halloween.. My market tomatillos and Roselle are just sitting there they need hot weather and this isn't cutting it. But each cool day is one less hot day, the way I figure it.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9095459

same here. its going to be a miserable summer this year for us.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 24, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9095470

It is in the 50's here and my okra are sprouting. I planted all of it and if they do not make it I will end up buying seedlings.

Belle

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9095669

I'm taking advantage of the cool days, though. I ask myself this one question:

"Would you rather tackle it NOW, in this cool weather, or would you rather wait for the fires of Hell?"

'nuff said...

I tore through my yard this weekend, picking up everything in the "trash" category. Yesterday, I washed and disinfected all my seed trays, in preparation for starting my fall/winter seeds in mid-June. I'm targeting a fall/winter plant out beginning the 1-2 weekends in September, and the seedlings have to be good size by then.

Next projects:
►Painting Terra Cotta pots for my herb garden(s),
►Painting the deep drawers I scored in a TTT (trash to treasure) hunt. The drawers will become outdoor seed flats for the fall/wtr seeds.

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9095796

Linda, you need a man! You're getting way too adventurous there with all that extra time you have on your hands! LOL LOL LOL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9095819

Been there, done that, back to living!

NO free time! If I tossed my TV, you'd really hate me...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9095834

All my Okra plants did survive the transplant.
Their trunks are thick enough to not be destroyed by pill bugs.
Weather is just perfect to grow Okra ... tomorrow is suppose to be 90 F here.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9095932

I put my okra seeds out to soak with a bit of hydrogen peroxide in the water. I'll direct sow them either tomorrow or Thursday when I'm off. I've had great success direct sowing them the past 2 years. The one year I tried transplants, it took forever for them to get established and take off. I think pretty much the only thing I transplant is peppers & maters.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9096069

Steph,
One thing I've observed with transplanting Okra and bells is that, if the weather is not hot enough for them at the time of the transplant, they will definitely sit and sulk!

That's why mine are still indoors. We've had mornings of mid-50 this weekend, and they would've stalled for sure.

Hugs!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9096435

Great weather for Okra here.
Tomorrow 90 and mid 60s almost 70F at night for the all week.
I am glad I did transplant all my Okras.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9096495

Our daytime temps are about 80 for now, but the problem is cold nights. I was going to transplant my okra into the garden today, but next Sunday and Monday nights are supposed to be about 40 degrees. That's too close to freezing, and I don't know how cold the following nights might be.

I think I'd better wait until that cold spell is over before I put the okra out. I can't hold it indoors much longer - I don't want to do TWO transplants with okra, but the seedlings are still in Jiffy Mix in egg cartons and they're getting leggy.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9096659

Ozark, you should wait.
I did grow Okra last year indoor until it was pretty big ... I did not have any problem when I transplanted outside.
Just give a larger pot ... much better than 40F !

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9096722

Linda, started the okra seeds I had soaking, and I noticed little air bubbles all around them, and they were always floating, is this normal? First time working with okra seeds so don't know ANYTHING about them... Plan on doing some direct in garden and some containers. If I start some in some 2.5 gallon pots can I transfer them to larger pots later?? Talked to Lorelai's other grandma tonight and I've scored a source for 5 gallon buckets, THANK YOU for the tip, I never thought of it... She said they go through about 3 or 4 a day, and THEY'RE MINE!!!!

BTW, crumpled a little piece of paper towel in the cup to keep the seeds submerged, wrong or right thing to do??

PPS, just checked them and the cases have split a little bit and the white nub is just peeking out.. Started them last night...

This message was edited Apr 25, 2012 12:33 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9097045

Kev,
No need to force them to the bottom. I used to worry about some floaties and some sinkies. If I soak them long enough, they just all seem to end up on the bottom after awhile, but that's not necessary. In fact, I'm finding it's better to not wait for those nubs to grow too long before planting them, so as soon as you see the nubs, plant them ALL.

If you're direct sowing some outside, I think I'd start them in smaller vessels, like a 10" pot or even some 16 oz. Red Solo or other plastic cups. My reasoning is that you can lift the entire seed plug out more easily and just set it down in one piece into your transplant hole. This would help you avoid damaging the tap root, and might lessen the transplant shock associated with digging a plant up from the soil to pot up to a larger vessel. Hope I made sense here...

This message was edited Apr 25, 2012 9:07 AM

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9097053

Supposedly viable seeds float and non-viables sink. I've not found that to be the case! LOL

I put my seeds out to soak yesterday late morning. Came home last night to find some had already cracked open and those weren't the new seeds! Those were seeds I purchased 2 years ago. Woot!

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9097173

My direct sown Clemson Spineless and Orange Jing are both sprouting. They are definitely slower when not pre-soaked and direct seeded. It's been 10 days since I planted! No issues with hardening or transplanting, at least. I have a row of about 30 feet. I am going to thin more aggressively this year. Last year I left the seedlings to close together and didn't get good growth.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9098099

The seeds look great and 100% popped open. These are the seeds that I have frozen last year & started using this year. Don't know what strain these are but so far, it looks like I will have almost 100% germination.

Will direct sow 3 or 4 tomorrow and can put the rest in 3" or 5" peat pots, or right into the container, not exactly sure what size, I know it's between 2.5 gallon & 5 gallon... Suggestion??? Either way would be easy at this point...

Talked with the other HEB bakery dept. and will see the manager in the morning about the buckets. Hopefully by the end of the weekend should have about 10 new buckets for my projects. They also use the 15# buckets, not sure about how deep they are, but would be concerned being too shallow for my use..

This is what the seeds look like and will go in the ground tomorrow...

Thumbnail by kevcarr59

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9098163

The larger container the better! Okra gets BIG and has a good root system.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9098377

Yesterday we reached 90F here in Irving, with winds of 25mph ... which felt like 40mph ... all day.
I was so worry for my poor Okra transplants.

Well... they are fine ! This morning they are all standing up with their beautiful leaves ...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9098860

Kev,
You're a natural at this. Good scoring on the buckets!!
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9100366

I transplanted my okra seedlings from egg cartons to 3" x 3" cells of MiracleGro Planting Mix under indoor lights yesterday. That's just for a few days until we get past some predicted very cold nighttime temps, then they'll go into the garden. I had to move them as they were getting leggy and root bound.

They sure are deep-rooted, every little seedling had roots hanging out the bottom of the Jiffy Mix plug. I was careful not to break any roots, and I think they all survived the transplant OK. I ended up with 33 sprouted seedlings out of 46 seeds sowed, and I've got three okra rows 24 feet long and 6 feet apart laid out in the garden. Eleven plants per row, that works out to 2.4 feet between plants - closer than I'd meant to put these big Stewart's Zeebest plants but at least it's further apart than I had them last year.

Thumbnail by Ozark

mullet22
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9104470

Ok I only need to know where to get some of this "white okra", i've not heard of it till reading on here...much thanks in advance. Mullet 22 down here in sunny FL.
rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9104482

The deer and rabbits have now munched all 12 plants to the stems. the look so pitiful with no leaves and putting out flowers all day. I ordered a sprinkler with a motion sensor and planted more okra indoors. We shall see what happens

-Vaughn
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9104675

Mullet22 ~ googling brings up a lot of seed companies selling white velvet okra. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=white+okra+seed&oq=white+okra+seed&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=hp.3...573.3614.0.3707.15.9.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.eqn%2Crate_low%3D0-01%2Crate_high%3D0-01%2Cmin_length%3D2..0.0.MNzmRHZVrnk&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=6aac2f2ada3eb459&biw=1231&bih=459 even an ebay seller...
Good luck.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9104846

Vaughn>> Night vision goggles, a good BB gun, and a lot of coffee will be a lot more fun.. LOL...

Linda>> How's the Cowhorn & Burgundy doing?? Still waiting for the seeds to come up in the garden bed...

Mullet>> Baker Creek seeds has some on their website, and I think it was still in stock...

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9104864

Sorry Mullet, made a mistake, thought it was Baker Creek but just checked site and it wasn't there. Of, course, now I don't remember where I saw it...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9108929

I direct sowed my okra seeds Sunday evening after pre-soaking them, and we have lift off!

Thumbnail by stephanietx

rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9109315

The 18 seeds I sowed last weekend are popping up. The 12 plants ravaged by Bugs Bunny are trying to start some new leaves and are setting pods lol. I have quite a few 1/2" pods on empty stems. They look rough but they might just make it!

-Vaughn
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9109415

I have some I planted about a week ago in the garden. I noticed some of them are being eaten by bugs it looks like. They seem to be missing leaves.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9109423

Dean, that could be pill bug damage.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9109429

Yeah, maybe they'll grow out of it. What do you think?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9109443

I apply sluggo plus for pill bugs.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9109444

Okay, let me look into that.

Thanks!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9109547

Would Sevin dust work on the pill bugs?? Asking because our okra is just about broken though the soil, and I'll probably have the same problem down the road...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9109550

It wouldn't hurt to try it.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9109554

You know I have some neem oil. Would that work?

kevcarr59, I'm sure it would work, but for me I prefer organic solutions.

Good luck.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9109629

I put a plastic ring around most kinds of seedlings when they're small - tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, okra, etc. I use the red 16-oz. plastic cups from WalMart or the Dollar Store, and I cut the bottoms off and cut the remainder in half to make two rings from each cup. I set those rings in the ground around each small seedling and pack some dirt around the outside to keep them from blowing away.

There are several advantages. The main one is that the rings protect small seedlings against cutworms and pill bugs without using an insecticide. The rings also provide some shelter from the wind until seedlings get established, and when I water, the rings hold water right around the seedlings so it soaks in where I want it. When plants get a little bigger, I just cut the rings and discard them.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9109731

Neat idea Ozark!
rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9112964

Got a nice rain all day yesterday. Checked my 12 plants and most of them have blooms and some have 2" pods already! Looks like they are growing new leaves. Maybe the rabbit will leave them alone. I have 18 seedlings just in case that should be ready to transplant in a week or two.

-Vaughn

Thumbnail by rwaterspf1

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9113097

Wow! That is the tiniest plant I've seen a pod on! How cute!

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9114107

My direct sown okra is growing very slowly! I need to weed the area between seedlings by hand. The spacing is (for now) too close for me to use the scuffle-hoe. It is really hot (heat index in the mid 90's), so I have to do a little at a time. It was even hotter yesterday, but luckily I was at the lake with my family...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9114673

The soil is still relatively cool for okra. They really flourish in late June, July, and August.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9114829

I HAVE AN IDEA - and I'd like your opinions on it. There's no way to make this long story short, so here's the long story.

This year, I started my Stewart's Zeebest okra indoors and I transplanted the seedlings into the garden a few days ago. 33 seedlings, three 21-foot long rows, 25 inches between seedlings - closer than I wanted them. To make up for the close spacing within the rows I made the rows six feet apart, which the bushy Zeebest plants will certainly need.

My okra seedlings are all growing and doing real well inside their protective plastic-cup rings, but at this point, that's a LOT of wasted space between rows. I got to thinking about planting something in the spaces between okra rows - something that will grow fast enough to not get shaded out by the okra (my rows run north/south), something that doesn't take too much horizontal space itself, and something that will be harvested and out of there before the okra really hits full growth and production in August and September.

I'm thinking SWEET CORN. I haven't planted any corn yet, mainly because I took up a lot of garden by spacing those okra rows so widely, and also because I planted so many beets which are still in the ground. In the east end of my garden I have 8 rows total, also 21 feet long, of potatoes, beets, turnips, and early cabbages. Those rows will all be harvested in June and I figure I'll replant the same rows with sweet corn at that time, soaker hoses still in place, for a corn harvest and freezer-filling around September.

I've got lots of corn seed, I bought a big package of bicolor Tendr-Sweet 2573 sh2 treated seed, and it's about a 73-day variety. I'm thinking of planting double rows of corn centered between the okra rows, say, a foot apart from each other. The double rows would give me better pollination of the corn than a single row would, and I can run a soaker hose down the middle between them. Yes, it'll be a little crowded to get down the rows between the corn and okra, but I bet it can be done. If I plant corn now it'll be finished about the third week of July, and that's 84 feet of corn that should produce well over 100 extra ears for us. Most okra production will be after the corn is out of there.

What do you think?

Thumbnail by Ozark

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9114919

I'd say go for it. You will shade the okra some, but not that much. As you said, the corn will be out in a little over two months, or mid-July. That gives you July, August, and early September for Okra.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9115578

Vaughin, that plant seems too small to bloom! Weird!

This message was edited May 9, 2012 10:53 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9115610

That's a mutant Ninja okra plant!!! LOLOLOL!
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9116784

My two okra transplants are doing nicely -- and I just ate my first 2-inch pod as I couldn't wait any longer!!!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9117154

You want to harvest them when they are small and young as they get tough when you let them get too big. I pick them when they're about 3" long.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9117172

Thats true. But the plant is usually taller then 3". LOL
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9117611

Crocodile Dundee: "That's not an okra plant, THIS is an okra plant!" LOL

Thumbnail by Ozark

rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9122461

My poor okra plant is self conscious :P I harvested and ate that okra and it was tasty!

-Vaughn
mullet22
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9139945

Podster-- Thanks for tip
on googling "white okra" I'll check that.
I've got seeds that were given to me with no name & have been growing for 2 yrs now, just regular green kind..? Thanks for info.
Kevcarr--I've got same prob as u, no memory, read so much & even forget what was original search about..lol Mullet
The question now is: what makes top leaves skinny, lower ones are big like salad plate size..? Growing nicely, tall & plenty of fruiting..curious...maybe no prob at all. Thanks in advance for any help.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9140631

Now that we're having consistent temps in the 90s, my okra is loving it! I'm enjoying the pretty foliage of the Hill Country Red okra I planted this year.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9141097

I went ahead with my idea of planting double-rows of sweet corn between my wide rows of okra. The corn is up now and I've got both the okra and the corn mulched with grass clippings and soaker hoses run down the rows. It'll be a race between okra and corn to grab sunlight, but it's only a 73-day corn variety and I think this should work out real well.

Thumbnail by Ozark

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9148889

GG how long will the okra last around here? Mine is going strong and a beautiful plant but I have no idea how long it will last so I can plan to use the box on a winter crop. September?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9149050

Okra will grow and produce all the way through the summer until the first frost. Of course, you can always cut it down before if you tire of it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9149204

ditto.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9149252

We had okra last year until mid-October...
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9149358

We never got tired of our okra in 2011, and I raised a bunch of it. We had it fresh and roasted 2 or 3 times a week, we froze a lot of it, and I pickled lots. I've been rationing the pickled okra - I think I only have three pint jars left, just enough to last me until I start harvesting Stewart's Zeebest pods this summer!

Thumbnail by Ozark

rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9149431

my burgundy seedlings are coming right along. Put out two plants in 16" pots on the deck with the maters. Hopefully the deer leave it alone

-Vaughn

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9150309

Looks like we'll be having okra soon!!

Thumbnail by stephanietx

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 3, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9150632

Wow!!! My okra plant is only 4-5 inches tall.

Belle

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9150729

Mine are only about a foot or so tall!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9150799

Here are my Okra plants, producing already ... weee

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9150920

Mine is about 7ft tall...producing well.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9151080

Here are my little okra plants. Not the best pic and I also need to figure out what to do with that onion! LOL I keep waiting for it to give up and fall over, but it's trooping on.

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9151757

Steph,
Those okra plants look great! Very sturdy stems already. You should have about a gazillion bushels before it's over with!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9153461

I planned on planting Okra this year, to pickle it. But my garden is full, I'm squeezing in the last 10 or so tomato plants. I don't know why i have so many but these are the " have to grow" that are left. Lol Up until today the heat hasn't been bad.

Anyway, I know the okra will grow and produce until frost but it gets really big and will block the sun. How many plants would it take to get enough to pickle, don't really like to just eat it plain? How many could i grow in containers? Even tho I live on acreage I'm gravitating to growing in containers, less weeds, less bugs, less disease. Better soil.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9153471

1Lisac,
I just planted okra and eggplant seedlings out last week. We've got at least 4 months of scorching heat ahead.

I planted one seeding per 6.5 gallon bucket. They're free-draining, with holes in the bottoms and about 1/4" up around the sides. I put a couple dwarf, bush eggplants in planters (5 gallons or less).

Linda
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9153482

I know I have plenty of time. Just trying to decide if I want to bother with them and if so how many plants and container or ground? Thanks!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9153528

"Anyway, I know the okra will grow and produce until frost but it gets really big and will block the sun"

Not necessarily, Lisa. Baby Bubba is a short growing variety bearing full-size pods. Tops out around 4 ft in height. Little Lucy, a burgundy/purple variety if I remember correctly is very ornamental and usually only grows about 3 ft tall. In other words you have lots of choices other than the standard Clemson Spineless or Stewart's types.

Shoe

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9153538

I'm hoping to use the okra plants TO block the sun on my brassica transplants...

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9153567

My Stewart's Zeebest & HCR Heirloom Okra seeds have been soaking since last night & will be going directly into the new pots tomorrow morning. The Burgundy Okra we transplanted over the weekend are looking good and none the worse for wear, it was real touchy when they got moved, roots came out of soil...

The sole survivor of okra seed saved from last year, actually in it's final resting place...

Some Burgundy Red Okra that made the transplant, hopefully for a productive summer & fall...

Thumbnail by kevcarr59   Thumbnail by kevcarr59

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9153606

Kev!

Our okra seedlings are about the same size! LOL! Let the games begin!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9153628

OK... That sounds like a challenge...LOL...
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9153880

ahem..we weren't suppose to plant them until now? Humm..well mine don't seem to mind that much and are doing well. I'm sure they might show more hardship later but *shrugs* I hated I let time slip away and just a few days ago started tomato seeds for fall. Where did the time go..

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9153913

My okra had a growth spurt! The first 2 pics are of Hill Country Red and the last pic is of Emerald Green Velvet.

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9154071

Shoe-I guess what I meant is the seeds that I already have, are for Okra Plants that will grow big.

That's what I love about Okra is the huge window in TX for starting it.

araness-I'm also wondering where the time went? But while your garden is slowing down mine is just kicking in. About a month ago we had a week that was in the 70s during the day and 60s at night plus rain every day. My tomato and peppers just sat there, but since it has warmed up they are doing great, we could use more rain tho. In any other part of the country we would be in different states. Lol

I could do with out the 60% humidity tho. THAT I'm not use to.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9154092

Not my intention to start this late... Started seeds end of Feb?? Started good but didn't have a place to put them. Then put some out in raised bed, planted too deep, never germinated... Finally got these seeds and din't mess up enough to kill them, yet. Will get these last few seeds going and this will last attempt for this year... We should still have enough warm weather to get some okra before the first frost... Doing these last plants just to see what they look & taste like for next year...
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9155551

Plz excuse all the dead and dying plants near. Serg hasn't felt well and we haven't cut and cleaned out the EB's yet.

Thumbnail by araness

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9156025

Its never my intention to start late but it usually happens anyway... Kev you should have plenty of time to get plenty of Okra.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9156031

Last year, when I started my okra seeds in the cool, they stalled and didn't give me much. Which is why I've waited for the heat to turn up before putting them out this time. We shall see!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9165742

Just a quick update on my late okra. Our son is back at the house staying with us for a while and his dog dug in the pot that had my Hill Country Red Okra in it. Just one of the seeds germinated and this was after about 10 days, after soaking the seeds for a day. Stewart's Zeebest still hasn't broken through, but they were done the same day as the HCR & that one just sprouted about 2 days ago.

There is good news though... Burgundy Red and the saved-seed Okra from last year are doing great, and the Cowhorn 22 has 4 good-sized sprouts working, just wish they were spaced out a little differently...Thought I had a picture of the NOID Okra but I guess I didn't take one. It's just about the same size as the Burgundy Red.

Burgundy Red Okra

Cowhorn 22

Thumbnail by kevcarr59   Thumbnail by kevcarr59

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9166021

My Hill Country Red is really doing great, but it seems to be slow growing. I'm sure I'm not impatient or anything! LOL Finally saw my first bloom yesterday.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9166107

Nice, Kev and Steph.

Kev,
Am I seeing a beginning trail of leaf miners in one or two of your leaves? Last year I kept up with them, by cutting off those parts of the leaves, after the plant grew enough other leaves to not miss the sacrificed parts.

Stay after them, cause they move through fast if left unchecked!

Linda

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9167554

We have pods!! Woohoo!

The Hill Country Red portion of the okra bed.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9168321

Update II: Plucked the leaves that had the LM damage... Have noticed some holes in the other leaves... Linda, what should I use?? Just real tired, long day, and just totally out of it to look around and figure it out myself... One of THEM days...

Culled the Cowhorn 22 down to 4 plants, just hate that they're 2 pairs of seeds right on top of each other. It's still an experimental planting so at end of season will cut root ball apart to see how it fills pot.

Steph, I'm guessing okra is a plant we don't snip off the suckers???... Like I said, one of them days...

I will get all pics tomorrow... okay, today...

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9168433

Kev I'm not sure what Linda is using but I use Ortho Garden Disease control (for disease) and Ortho Bug B' Gone for the bugs. I've also use the insecticidal soaps for aphids and spinosad which does help LM BEFORE they get into the leaves. Sorry I jumped in an answered but she plays piano for church so not sure when she would have answered.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9168487

I pretty much don't do anything to my okra. The "suckers" usually produce pods.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9168809

Never remove "suckers" from okra as pods grow on the tips of all branches. The more branches, the more pods.

My okra is doing real well, and my idea of planting double-rows of sweet corn between widely-spaced okra rows is turning out to be a good one. The corn will be harvested in late July, so it will be out of the way just when the multi-branching wide Stewart's Zeebest okra plants need the extra room between rows - and I'll get a bonus of about 100 ears of sweet corn from the same ground!

I climbed up on the toolbox of my pickup truck to get this "aerial" view this morning.

Thumbnail by Ozark

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9168813

Great job, Ozark!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 17, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9168899

I am sooo jealous, I wish I have more room!!

Belle

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9168936

Bellie, I saw this variety, Lee Okra, that is compact and only grows to 3 ft.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 17, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9168939

Can I order some next year.

Thanks

Belle,

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9169014

Belle, you should have okra up and growing by now from the seed I sent.
Is it looking hopeful yet? Mine has been slow growing due to all these cooler nights we're having this year. I wonder if you are going thru the same up your way.

Shoe
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 17, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9169023

Shoe,
MY okra are around 4 inches. there are nights that are still chilly here.I will let you know how they do.

Belle
rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9169025

After the deer ate all my cajun delight I have put some burgundy in containers and have some big enough to transplant to the other garden. The motion sprinkler is doing a good job at keeping the deer out so far so i'll put in the okra when the bush beans are done (couple weeks)

-Vaughn
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9212034

Our Stewart's Zeebest okra is producing heavily now, and we've been enjoying it fixed several different ways. I saved up a couple of pickings and had about 200 pods, so I made six more pints of OKRA PICKLES this evening. I really like these!

I use wide-mouth pint canning jars as they're easier to pack with okra. In the bottom of each sanitized jar I put one clove of garlic (mashed with the back of a spoon) and one Maui Purple Pepper cut down the side so the brine can get in. I grow Maui Purple Peppers in a pot, and they're small but very hot with good flavor. Other hot peppers would work just fine for this.

Cut off the okra stems as short as possible (I use scissors), lay each jar on its side and pack okra pods into it - stem-ends at the bottom of the jar. I use the largest pods for this bottom layer and if the tips of some extra-long pods have to be trimmed off to fit in the jar, that's fine. I don't like to cut too many okra pods going into these jars, as cut okra will make the brine slimy. I pack okra pods into the jars until I can't get any more to fit with the stem-end all the way to the bottom of the jar, then I set the jar upright.

Smaller okra pods are used for the top layer, and they go pointy-end down and stem-end up. Just keep poking them in until no more will fit. This evening I was getting 30-35 pods in each jar. When each jar is full screw the lid on - otherwise the pods will raise right up out of there.

The okra I had filled six pint jars, and as a rule of thumb I pack all kinds of pickles into jars as tight as I can, then make HALF as much brine as the total volume I'm canning - three pints of brine in this case. I always have some left over this way, which is better than coming up short. For these okra pickles, I made the mixture a little less than half white vinegar, a little more than half water, and dissolved a half-cup of kosher salt in it. Last year I pickled okra with a brine of 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 water - and that seemed a little too mild to me.

I filled the six jars with brine, screwed the lids on finger-tight, and gave them a hot-water bath, fully immersed, in a pot on the stove - got the water in the pot up to 180 degrees with the jars in it, turned off the heat and left them in the hot water for 45 minutes at which time it was 140 degrees. Then I took the jars out of the hot water, tightened the lids, and set them on the counter to cool.

These okra pickles are GOOD. My 10 y.o. granddaughter discovered that she loves them on her last visit, and she ate nearly a whole jar. Ever since I made these last year I've had her convinced that they're "yuck" - but she finally tasted them anyway and now the cat's out of the bag. Now I'll have to make enough to share!

Okra is still my favorite veggie, I think. We've made it roasted, fried, breaded, un-breaded, in gumbo, barbecued, pickled, and every which-way. We've settled on our favorite way to fix it, though - sauteed. Here's a video I found that showed us about that, only we just add butter, salt, and pepper - no onions. Ignore the guy in the video acting stupid the first minute, he soon quits it and the okra is real, real good fixed his way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp2pHFf_OWw

Thumbnail by Ozark   Thumbnail by Ozark   Thumbnail by Ozark   Thumbnail by Ozark

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 23, 2012
1:50 AM

Post #9215200

I hope you do not mind me telling you of my freaky accident.

Ozark,
I am so jealous!! I had not been outside to check on my veggie garden because i was in a freaky accident last Tuesday where I was thrown form a golf cart, breaking my left ankle in 2 places.

I had surgery last Saturday and came home yesterday.

I am back home from orthopedic procedure. Everything went well, placed a 5 hole plate on the outer break while a screw on the inner portion.
I have severe pain so I take pain pills every 4-5 hours.

The best part is a block. I was told that there are 4 young anesthesiologist who does a lot of blocks which lasted ovwe 24 hours of being pain free.I was very impressed.
these new Docs treated patients in Afghanistan where a spinal takes too long.

No wonder the hospital bills are sky high due to the disposables.There are no more basins, they use disposable wipes, looks like baby wipes but bigger and thicker. The gowns are also disposable.

i now have a walker with wheels as well as a huge wheelchair. I called the company that I need a smaller and lighter one.The walker work much better. I love it because it is easier to maneuver.

I will go back the office for change of dressing as well a colorful fiberglass cast. I will get a shocking pink.LOL!!!

Few friends will be coming to visit and offered to bring food so I might not lose few pound. lOL!!!

I had not been out to visit my garden and my pond.

Have a good day!!

Belle

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9215425

Oh, Belle!

Just YESTERDAY, I was watching the Open Championship, and I thought about you saying you had "mandatory" golf events at least 3x a week. I thought, "now that's a mandatory that has some real perks!"

I'm so sorry about your accident. In between pain pills, grab some paper and pencils, and map out your strategy for the next season's garden. Call on some DGers in your area if you need planting help. The DGer's I know are more than willing to offer a helping hand.

Sorry I don't live closer!

Linda

This message was edited Jul 23, 2012 10:11 AM
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 23, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9215479

Linda,
What a bad timing!!! I had been looking forward to playing all summer long.
I have friends who can help me, I have also equipment , in fact I have 2 wheelchairs, DH will decide which one I can keep.

I thank you for the kind words.

Belle

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9222907

I know what your talking about with orthopedics & pain, had double knee replacement surgery last November, and was on IV pain meds for 10 days in hospital. Did the 2 surgeries a week apart. Still giving me some problems & need to go back to doc but have to make another trip to FL. but this one driving...

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 29, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9222926

Kevcarr,
I am sure your pain is nothing compared to mine.
why did you have the second procedure too soon? Your Orthopedist going on long vacation? Just curious.

Belle
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9223109

wow...really?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9223128

Belle, im so sorry to hear about your accident, but im glad your getting better. This maybe none of my business but how did you fall out of a golf cart? Now that's something I can image my teenagers doing but...I really think we need to know. It's much more important then Okra.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 30, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9223571

Ilisac,
It is unheard of that one can fall off a golf cart but it happened after 17 years of playing. I was driving that day but I told my partner to go ahead and tee off because three men waiting for us. we were following a twosome and we were three some. every 8 minutes a team has to tee off and we are expected to play with the phase. whoever is following slow players can tell the pro shop that a team is playing too slow so they might be asked to skip a hole so the game is not held up.
there is a time limit for 9 holes as well as 18 holes and if you play at a busy country club then you understand.
the girl who was driving made a very sharp turn so i went flying , landed on a concrete thus fracturing both tips of the 2 long bones on my left leg meaning my ankle on inner and outer part of my left ankle.
It is very freaky accident but one of the girls I play with had had 3 surgeries and few more.

It is been 13 days since my surgery and my system is going back to almost normal after too many potent pain meds

DH had been very patient driving me around and will have the cast for 8 weeks.

Have a nice day!!!

Belle

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 4:54 PM

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9223888

Belle, in no way did I diminish the severity of the pain you're going through. It's also a not widely known fact that the knee replacement surgery is the most invasive and physically demanding procedure on the body to recover from. Actually having the left knee done first wasn't too bad. It's was worse of the 2, being there was no cartilage left at all, it was bone on bone. When I would get up in the morning, my knees would sound like rice crispies. My knees have been like that for close to 20 years, gradually getting worse, so I was just used to the pain. My ortho asked me many times how I was able to walk.

The bad part was having the second knee done the next week. Rehab was going great for first knee but had complication between surgeries and it slowed the process. The doctor actually wanted to do them at the same time and I said no. Knowing now what I wasn't told then, I would have waited several months between the surgeries.

I got out of the nursing home from rehab on December 15 and within a week got a bulging disc in my neck while getting up out of the chair. So I was dealing with that while also working on getting my knees back in shape. I had to get 3 shots in the disc and it's finally settled back down.

I wish you a full & speedy recovery. I used to swing the clubs once in a while, but with the knees as bad as they were, I couldn't twist as they should. I'm just about to the point of getting a new set of clubs and start going to the range again to help work the knees into shape.

Kevin

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9224025

Kev I hope you are feeling better, I've seen family members with both knee's replaced and it was excruciating for them. These were not whimpy guys either but hardened military men and fire fighters. I've had broken bones, surgeries etc and I'm sure that pain was nothing compared to what you had to and are currently having to deal with. Wish you a very speedy recovery and hope your garden cooperates.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9224320

Belle, ortho said more of the insurance companies are urging doctors to do the surgery at one time. Less hospital time, less expense. Plus Medicare increases in cost made it almost mandatory that I do this last year. A lot tougher on the patient, but that doesn't enter the equation. Week apart didn't seem to extreme, so went ahead & did it. If I didn't have the complication, I think I'd have done better on rehab. Still the average & normal rehab for knee replacement is one year.

Araness, garden has been pretty cooperative this year, wish the weather would have been a little more so. Several people have asked me how I did so good this year, and I have no explanation whatsoever. I guess it's the adage, "I'd rather be lucky than good." On top of that I know I did a lot of things wrong, and still did good. No idea, just what a lot of people here have done, just copied it. And thank you very much for your good wishes...

Kevin
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 31, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9224502

Kevin,
I am glad you survived your ordeal and doing much better. how is your neck. Did you go for surgery?

At least you can garden this summer. I will not be able to do much till October and and the one that bothers me most is doing fig preserves and donate the proceeds to buy supplies for the health screening where we give flu vaccine, cholesterol and diabetic screening .

It is no weight bearing till they remove the cast but managing to go around with my walker and wheelchair when we go out.

I do miss my game Dh gave me a set of RBZ last May and with lessons my game was much improved.The ladies league plays from April to end of October. I plan to continue to go to the meetings.

Take care and have a good day to all.

Belle

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9224721

I've only had minor pain.

Just before I left New Orleans in 1984 to move to Texas, I had bunionectomies done on both feet, to deplete my insurance coverage and get 'er done!

The procedure back then was to saw a pie-shaped wedge from the toe bone, then tap it over to close up the wedge and straighten the big toe,. I was in an ankle cast on one foot, and a cast up to my knee on the other foot.

It was an Olympic year, and I stayed in bed for 4 solid weeks at my Aunt and Uncle's home, enjoying all the games, the meals, the care, and attention. It was a glorious Olympics!

When I could finally get up and back to work (still in both casts for another 8 weeks), I had to cross a MAJOR wide street every morning to get to the building in two casts, on a pair of crutches.

Thank God the drivers let me live to tell the story! By the time it was over, those drivers were waiting for me every day, waiving, and smiling, and being oh so kind!

I feel for ya'll!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9224823

Ok so that did it for me...I don't care what the doctor's are saying no foot surgery!

Off I go to try and finish cleaning up the yard and earthboxes...getting ready for fall and I can't wait!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9225009

At this time my neck has quieted down considerably from what it was before Christmas. For better than 3 weeks the only way I could sleep was with my left hand tucked behind my head touching my right shoulder. On top of that, we have a pillow-top mattress, and it was way too soft for me to sleep on. Whenever my wife would just touch or bump me I'd go through the roof. An extra bedroom is set up & it's got a real extra firm mattress in it and that's where I had to sleep for about 3 1/2 months. I still can't get a decent nights sleep in our BR with the wife, the bed's just too soft. Actually, I never liked the bed from the start, but she wanted it and had to have it, so she won... On the surgery I said no, but I guess I'd have to do it eventually if it gets worse.

They did 2 steroidal shots in the cervical disk material about 8 or 9 weeks apart, but the second shot did hardly anything, so I didn't get the 3rd. Still have tingling all the way down to the fingers occasionally, and this is also the same hand I busted up in '88 in a concrete truck accident. With that I've got about 80% feeling & use of the thumb. I joke with people that I've changed my Facebook Profile picture from mine to Humpty Dumpty...LOL...

I've also had more than a few severe gout attacks. Those things are incredibly painful. Had them in the ankles & also elbow and my hand. Nothing much helps except very strong pain meds. Primary doctor finally figured out the problem after the 4th ER visit, and I gave him the med list they pumped my full of at the ER. Too much uric acid causes it and it's finally under control. They'll still flare up but now I know when they're coming on & I can beat them to the punch.

Araness, don't make a rash judgement... A good friend of our's, an Austin Police officer, had the bunionectomy done about 5 or 6 years ago, and she had put it off for years. She regrets for not doing it much, much sooner. She was off her feet for less than a week, and back to work full-duty in about 4 weeks. She hasn't had a problem since the surgery and her Mom had the same thing about 2 years ago, and she's in her mid-70's...

Linda, isn't it nice when strangers root for ya, just getting across the street...LOL...

Kevin

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9225029

TOTALLY!

Saint,
The new bunionectomies use laser. Much cleaner, faster, better, stronger, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...

On another note, I had one doctor working on each foot, side by side. I was given only a local anesthesia, so I could hear all the jokes and such. The running one at the time was the irony of either Euwel (sp?) Gibbons dropping dead from a heart attack after years of eating Grape Nuts or Jim Fix dropping dead after all his years of running marathons! (I forget exactly which health nut dropped dead...)

I felt like I was between Hawkeye and BJ in a MASH unit! All they needed was a radio blaring at full volume.

Linda

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9225064

Kev,
This one's for you!

http://www.weekendgardener.net/vegetables/brussels-sprouts.htm
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 31, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9225098

Kev,
How many spaces is involve? Surgery is the only way and the soon you have it done the better for you. i am a retired OR RN and had done several of cervical disc. I hope you think about it. Go to a good neurosurgeon. Good luck!!

Belle
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9225109

They have spoken about a Plantar Fascia Release and removal of bone spurs so not as serious I think as yours GG. Still don't want to have it done!

Time for a quick shower before Serg gets home..why did I pick the hottest part of the day to clean outside...not bright at all!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9225328

Linda, thanks for the link. Just perused it quickly, but will read it thoroughly at first opportunity.

Belle, C5 has calcification, C6 has the bulge, and C7 is slightly out of alignment. Really stupid how it all happened. Did the knees, went to nursing home for rehab, came home and was there about 4 or 5 days. Just pushing up to get out of living room chair felt pop in shoulder. Didn't hurt all that bad to start, but after about 2 days thought I may have pinched nerve, since the shoulder & neck were hurting. Finally got into ortho's office after Christmas, with my head basically sitting on my shoulder... Pain management, scans, electroshock evaluation, then the pair of shots. Another thing they told me was had some carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. While still doing PT for knees, started for neck also.

We were given a referral to an Austin Spinal group, but with it somewhat subsided, never really pushed to go. Of course, when it gets real bad, then it will be too late & I won't have much of a choice.

Kevin

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9225391

They are Supposed to have developed a way to fill the spinal discs if you have burst them,rather than pinning them- I doubt seriously this will happen on govt plans tho, I have gout, sigh, you have my sympathies and I've done a lot of studying on reducing ulric acids in the diet- it bumps into a few other gastric issues I have so I spend a lot of time balancing foods. I avoided allowing Drs to fuse my spine in the late 90's since it starts in my upper neck and never quits. I figure I am turning into a concrete garden statue eventually, so try to stay in motion, but I notice all the time I am less and less flexible. You guys hang in there with us! Were glad you're here!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9225488

The morning of my first knee surgery my ortho walked in and asked how I was doing, not too bad, ready to go... So I asked if we could say the Shepard's Prayer, Alan Shepard... "Lord, please don't let me screw this up..." Everyone burst out laughing, and I guess they didn't screw up...

Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9225525

Uh, I picked okra today and I'm getting ready to pickle a bunch. Yep, okra. lol
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 1, 2012
1:55 AM

Post #9225648

Kev,
Please get a reputable neuro surgeon and if you know of a OR nurse who works under the neuro specialty you can talk to them. The sooner you have it done the better for you.
there are 2 spaces and there are several ways: using your own bone, dehydrated donor bones, plates and screws. The bulge they will remove and might put a bone wedge or bone chips.
Good luck to you.

Ozark,
We are harvesting few okra and we just microwave it and eat it with fresh tomatoes and fish sauce. Yum!!! I had been out 2 times since my accident and it is killing me. I am starting to get depressed but will attend the ladies meeting tomorrow. .

Kitt,
I have few friends who has gout and if they have attacks it can be very painful. A lot of them does not follow the diet , depends on the medications.

Have a good day to all!!
Belle

This message was edited Aug 3, 2012 7:20 AM

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9225774

Just need some morning sun, watch the flowers workman you' ll get to feelin better! I know for a fact I could be hurting worse! Stay safe!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 15, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9242533

Update on my fractured ankle,
It's been 4 weeks since my freaky accident , cast was changed after the sutures was removed but they placed 4 rolls of plaster so it is heavy. In 2 weeks I will have another x-ray and if everything is okay then I will get a walking cast.

Pain is a lot better although I still raise it on pillows. I am off narcotic pain meds and yesterday I only took tylenols.

i had only visited my garden 5 time in a month but DH goes to pick veggies evryday. He picks the okra even if they are only 2 inch. What a waste!!!

Happy gardening !!!

Belle

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9242647

Gotta love 'em, huh?

Ok, ya'll, I'm only growing ugly okra. What's wrong? They have these marks on em that look like holes, only they don't go through the pods. And, my pods are coming out like fireplace starters...

Help?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2012
11:10 PM

Post #9243143

Ants on any plants? And it really doesn't matterehat they look like if they taste ok- but look for bugs to be eating on the blooms, can you post any pix?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9243475

I have a ton of ants probably herding something-or-other. A Master Gardener I heard recently said to leave them alone, cause they clean up the aphis and what nots.

But, I'm thinking it's other than the ants. Can okra get sun scald?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9243640

Ants milk the aphids, true, then they start eating the okra, and the blooms, and it makes holes, and tips curl over, control the ants, and the aphids, they don't have ants like we do in the south, or master gardener lives in a well protected environment, good luck.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9243647

Ok. Thanks!
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9244473

OKRA AND TEMPERATURE. I've been picking my 33 Stewart's Zeebest okra plants every other day for most of the summer. They won't go three days because if I wait that extra day some of the pods will get too large (9" or more) and some of those will be tough. I don't want to pick every day because if I do many of the pods will be barely my minimum size to pick, 2 1/2", and I won't get so much okra. All through this hot summer I've found that if I pick okra every other day I'll get 80-some pods and most of those will be of a good, ideal size (4" to 5") and very tender.

I've found that all this is strictly related to temperature. If I'd kept track, I bet I could have come up with a formula by which I could calculate average daily air temperature by the size and number of okra pods I harvest - really. During the hottest spells this summer we've had many days with highs in the high 90's and low 100's with nighttime lows in the 80's - summertime Missouri at it's finest, yecch! Okra loves it like that, I guess because the climate is like that of equatorial Africa where it came from. When temps are that hot I'll harvest almost 3 pods per plant on average and the pods will be toward the larger end of the 2 1/2" to 7" range where I want them.

If there's a cooler day, though, or if we get some clouds or a shower then okra yield is significantly reduced. If that happens the harvest will be 2 pods per plant on average (haven't dropped below that yet) and the pod size will be toward the smaller end of the range. The total weight of pods picked drops to about half if there has been a cool day in the 70's, so I know production is going to drop off a lot as we move into fall. I think it's interesting how much temperature affects okra production - it REALLY likes the heat!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9244520

Well, pickin them shorter helps control what amount you have to freeze, chuckl, makes them really tender for gumbo

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9258366

I have an okra update.

I took Kitt's advice and started blasting the aphids AND the ants from the back of the okra leaves. I think the plants are much happier. But, I'm still not getting a whole lotta okra, and still wondering if it's the variety or am I expecting too much? If you only get ~3 pods per plant, it follows that you need a WHOLE LOTTA PLANTS to get a whole lotta pods, right?

Well, my space only allowed for 3 plants directly in RB #1, and 7 additional plants in individual buckets. I'm getting about 7 pods every other day from the combined plants. Should I be getting more?

Plus, I visited my 80+ yr. old neighbor across the street (yeah, the one who grew humongous tomatoes from my seedlings...), and her SCRAWNY okra plants, with hardly any leaves on them, are cranking out like gangbusters! What is really going on here? LOL!

Here's a pic of the okra that must've been getting bitten by the ants, now that Kitt has explained "herding" and "munching"!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9258474

Just curious-the across the street thing- what is different about the location of your plants from hers- and are you trimming the lower leaves? It can help reduce where the plant sends nutrients to, hot humid sun, can you increase this? are they planted as deep as hers, or are hers in ground?

Thumbnail by kittriana

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9258512

Hers are in the ground (one small raised bed) that she tops off with MG Garden soil every season. The bed runs N-S and seems to get full on sun all day (which mine doesn't).

I'm not trimming any leaves. I don't think she is either. She just snaps the pods off. I think mine might be planted deeper than hers. He stalk diameters are larger than quarter size.

Her eggplants (again, my seedlings) are 1/2 as tall as mine, but they're fully loaded with fruits! I think it must be her sunshine all day. Nothing in the way of her sun...

Shoot...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9258581

n-s is the old way of garden planting- the sun rises and falls across the plants. Hers are in ground, thats why they are the way they are, you would need a lot more ebucket to support okra trees, they just seem to thrive better in ground, it may be because of the nutrients/moistures dosed at different amounts thru the ground. Yours are awesome for in containers tho, I would say you are getting the max you can get with what you have.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9260148

i disagree, i have grown in ground (raised bed) as well as EB and my okra in the eb produced like crazy.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9260155

Araness, what cultivar did you have the best success with please?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9260270

I have Clemson Spineless, Cowhorns, and I think I have at least one Zee's Best growing. I did notice that the three okras growing in RB #1 grew super fast when I set them, and caught up to, and passed, the five okras that had been growing in the EBs for several weeks.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9260409

I planted only Stewart's Zeebest this year, and they're really doing great now. Of 33 original plants I think moles killed about 4 of them while they were small - but I picked 116 okra pods from the rest yesterday. I'm picking okra every other day.

I THINK the Stewart's Zeebest variety from Baker Creek Seeds isn't quite stable yet - my various plants are showing different charactistics. A few plants are bearing pods with a very bad trait that I don't want to carry on - the pods have sharp spines and if you happen to rub them from the pointed end toward the stem end, the spines stick in your fingers and HURT. Then if you happen to rub your eye - well, I don't want that to happen any more!

Of my other plants, a few bear very skinny pods and have few branches. Others have many branches and much thicker pods. I've settled on one plant at the end of one row that I'm going to save seeds from. It has a lot of pod-bearing branches, no spines on the pods, and it's always good for at least 5 or 6 pods when I pick so it's the most productive plant I have. Those are the seeds I want for next year, and I'm going to save seeds from that one plant with good characteristics instead of ordering seeds, because I don't think Baker Creek's strain is stable yet.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9260557

Thanks for the feedback Ozark.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9260599

Umm, not sure what you are disagreeing with- support of the eb versus ground, or the location of gymgirls' eb's not producing as well as her nex door neighbors' ? Eb can do just great, but from the description of her neighbors garden, she's in a better locale and has created an in ground e bucket- and it was other veggies this is happening to between the 2 of em as well. Not puttin down the ebuckets
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9277258

I just sowed 6 Clemson Spineless plants today...late, I know so we'll see how it goes. I plan on playing hookie from work tomorrow so I can get some stuff done in the back yard, like assemble a couple of raised beds for said okra. The RB will be in an untested part of my yard but I believe it will have adequate sunlight. I hope my crops are successful this fall!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9277270

I'll most certainly be back to read more of the posts, but I'm here as I'm giving okra a try in my container garden. I don't eat it but my Dad does so I thought I would give it a try.

I've got to purchase some seeds, and just wonder what varieties would be good ones to start with? now if this has already been answered in this thread no need to reply as I'll find the answer when I come back to read more tomorrow.

I'm growing in 5 gallon containers, and was thinking one plant per container? or could there be 2 to a container?

thanks for any suggestions and help yall.

Jan

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9277361

Only One okra per 5-gallon container
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 17, 2012
3:31 AM

Post #9277438

Linda,
I only visited my garden 3 times because of my freaky accident. Dh said I have tons of of s eeds next year.
I have to check them today.

Belle

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9277897

Belle,
I'm gonna need some seeds!

The first time I saved seeds from okras (when they weren't cross-pollinating!!!) I tried to cut the dried pods from the stalks and had seeds flying everywhere.

Then I had an better idea. I carefully cut huge branches from the main stem (with the pods still on them) and put them into a large garbage bag, tied the end, and beat the
H _ _ L _ outta that bag with a stick. All the pods burst open inside the bag. Then, I cut a hole at the bottom of the bag and poured out all the seeds!

Voila!

Hope that tip gets me a few seeds! LOLOLOL!

Linda

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9277962

Gymgirl,

What was the final outcome of the seed that I sent you?? Between dogs digging up containers and my trips to Florida, nothing of mine survived. I was only able to get ONE pod from a HCR that lasted through July. Cowhorn got 3 or 4 plants, but too much for the 5 gallon Square Root pot. Didn't get a pod off any of those. Baker Creek replaced the Zeebest & HCR seed, but 1 of the 2 was the same lot # as what was shipped this spring. When I seed start for next year, I'm going to make sure EXACTLY which seed is started, and document it's performance.

I direct sowed some Stewart Zeebest in a 5 gallon Square Roots pot, one germinated in about 10-12 days. The other didn't poke through for another month, and that has me stymied as to why it took so long.

I would say some of your drawback is sunlight. You've got a lot of shade in your yard, but like you said about your beans on the patio, how did they grow?? I'm in the opposite end, no shade whatsoever.

Kevin
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9285496

[quote="meadowyck"]I'll most certainly be back to read more of the posts, but I'm here as I'm giving okra a try in my container garden. I don't eat it but my Dad does so I thought I would give it a try.

I've got to purchase some seeds, and just wonder what varieties would be good ones to start with? now if this has already been answered in this thread no need to reply as I'll find the answer when I come back to read more tomorrow.

I'm growing in 5 gallon containers, and was thinking one plant per container? or could there be 2 to a container?

thanks for any suggestions and help yall.

Jan[/quote]

Jan ~ I've grown okra in containers in the past. I planted only one plant to a container and chose a small okra for container use. I grew Lee and was impressed with the success. Good luck ~ Kristi

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9285754

thanks Kristi

Jan

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9285887

Hey, Kev!
All my okra plants grew in full sunshine all summer long. I have shade in the middle of the yard, but the periphery is very sunny.

I believe my okras may have crossed, which might have accounted for the mutant pods I kept getting. Also, ants and aphids were ferocious, and a lot of the pods I did get were chewed on by the ants.

Toward the end of my patience, when I finally figured out how often to pick them (before the ants started chewing), I managed to collect about two gallon-sized freezer bags of pods.

I never got good production from the HCR or the Zeebests. Most of the pods I saved came from the ole tried and true Clemson Spineless.

P.S. I have two okra stems (I topped 'em to take them out) and one okra plant still growing in RB #1, and they need to be gone. However, these stems are huge! The two that were topped two weeks ago have put out new growth so the root system isn't dead. But, it probably goes down deep in my raised bed.

I need ya'lls advice on how to remove these stems and roots systems from this bed. I don't think I can just leave them there, because this is the bed for my root crop (turnips, beets, carrots). Won't they run into the stems and roots underground if I don't take them out?

I'm thinking I could dig down about 11" and use the sawsall to cut the stems off at that level, then backfill. These root veggies (except any mutant carrots) shouldn't go down deeper than 11", yah think?

Lemme know soon! Thanks!

Linda

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9285982

Tryin to remember, think if the bucket only has the okra, you may find the whole bucket is roots. Any way or where you could just dump the bucket and shake the dirt? Or have they rooted on thru to the ground? They will grow until a hard freeze- I have had them slow for a lite frost, but not die, and yeah, even in Jan they are hard to dig down to, think if you sawsall em they might still sprout from available left behind roots, tho perhaps not shortened that deep.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9286205

No, Kitt!
I had seven okra plants growing in free-draining buckets, and three plants growing in Raised Bed #1, the bed I'm about to need for my root veggies. The buckets are even re-sprouting!

I cut two plants in RB #1 down, leaving about a 2' stem. The last one is about 6.5' tall and still growing in that bed. They, the bell peppers (loaded with peppers, duh), and the last of the eggplants (loaded with blooms), have got to vacate the space so I can sprinkle my turnip, beet and carrot seeds.

Thanks!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9286542

You need more buckets. Okra doesn't give up easily. I don't know Gymgirl, let us know what you decide to do and if it works.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9286784

Kitt,
(Use your best Joan Crawford voice here):

"No more plastic buckets!!!!"

I sent 60 plastic buckets to my cousin in Hotlanta, GA last summer, via a DGer with a trailer heading that way!

Don't get me wrong, though. I'd use an eBucket in a New York minute if I had to. But, since I have the space in my yard, I'm expanding toward a more aesthetically pleasing edible landscape design.

If I had ever figured out a suitable camouflage for buckets, I'd probably still be using them!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9286929

Chuckl, I understand perfectly! I am home- almost cuz I stopped at Walmart for staples. Jeez! We don't have fall so they bring in the northern colors- (I got lost inside store)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9286998

All those are my wedding colors. Amazing nostalgia everytime I walk into a Wally World or Garden Center!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2012
11:12 PM

Post #9288530

Linda,

Thanks for the reply as to how your okra seeds turned out. The biggest thing I learned from the late start was that it didn't produce anything with the heat killing the young plant production. They hardly had any leaves and no pods. Looking at the root balls they looked to be of decent size and lots of hair. The only other thing I can think of doing would be to add more liquid fertilizer more often.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9288640

Kev,
I totally agree about the fertilizer. I had no idea they were such heavy feeders AND drinkers. I noticed the more I watered, the faster the pods developed.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9288706

yeah, they would happily grow in a marsh- or a shallow water pool like an amaryllis

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9288747

That's good info Kitt!

I could make that happen. Actually, I'm seeing now that I can make okra eBuckets with huge self-watering reservoirs out of the 25-gallon cattle molasses tubs I have been holding on to.

Good thing I didn't drill holes in all of them!

Looks like I'm not out of the container garden business just yet!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9288844

It would make it easier to protect the other plants when removal time chanced, and 25 gal would keep 3 plants well, unless you trim lower leaves, then 4 plants could be planted...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9288869

Thanks, Kitt!
NatalieWitt
Maidstone
Australia

December 13, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #9357788

Okra is so delicious when fry it.. try it mates
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9403362

I just read through all three of the okra threads. We did not get a good crop of okra last summer using Clemson Spineless. I was hoping to get clues as to what happened last summer before I commence on seeds this year.

It sounds like the Stewart's Zeebest was a pretty good producer, but I am sure not impressed with the spines. Okra makes me itch anyway.

I copied some recipes you guys have shared. We too, really like okra. We are also limited on space, but it sounds like fewer plants further apart is better than more plants close together. And, also noted was the importance of very warm temperatures for good okra production.

This okra thread has been educational and entertaining. Ozark, you remind me of my Dad peddling the veggies. I laughed out loud with tears coming down my face as I read your story about the cabbage. My daughter said, 'Well maybe, his wife will tell him not to plant cabbage this year"! BTW, how did the cabbage turn out?

Ozark, you mentioned frying okra like you grandmother used to. I believe as others stated the secret is probably using that cast iron skillet. They make cast iron skillets with a nice smooth colored enamel coating on the outside these days. You might want to look into that. I know Lodge makes this type of skillet. Also, I just recently replaced my electric cooktop for an induction cooktop. It heats up much like a gas stove but looks like an electric cooktop. It gets cookware hot fast and maintains high heat if it's your choice to do so.

Thanks to all for the wonderful in put on growing okra, the recipes and the stories.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9404798

NEW THREAD, "OKRA, PART IV, 2013 Season" HERE:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296441/

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9405303

Thanks, Linda, got busy & didn't get the link here...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9405363

That's what friends are for!!

^^_^^!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America