Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: SPRING-SUMMER 2012: WHAT IS YOUR VEGGIE GARDEN YIELDING?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 21, Views: 271
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9063039

I've participated in many discussions on seeding, planting, constructing, filling, and maintaining a veggie garden. But, I've never participated in a discussion on just HOW MUCH I should or could expect to yield from my efforts. To date, I've only had a "bumper" crop of cabbages on a regular basis.

I'd like to hear what volumes and yields other backyard (or field, or farm) growers are producing, and what I can do to increase my yield.

My ultimate goal is to direct the majority of my harvests to my neighborhood food pantry.

Thanks!

Let the discussion begin!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9063535

I would say you are an expert on cabbages! This should be an interesting thread- but at this time of the year I sure don't have anything to show off! If you keep adding to the threads you're involved in, where will you find time to do any gardening? Or do you not sleep? :-))

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9063746

Hey, Jo!
This thread will be here when folks begin getting their harvests in. Just anticipating heavy traffic,
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9063760

OK, right- I keep forgetting that you "Suthners" are already growing and harvesting while we "Northners" are still dreaming!!! I was a Suthner for 40 years, and I miss my growing nearly year round. That's why I enjoy all your posts so much. My time will come, and I will have some braggin' time!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9063858

And I will be all ears and eyes!

In the meanwhile, I'd like you to teach me how to beautify my front and back yards like yours. So, don't be bored. Teach me about your flowers, please.

Linda
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9066945

It's way too early to even think of harvest time up here--except maybe radishes--but I recognize those Tidy Cats buckets! Have a bunch of them myself. :) What useful containers they are!
mccaine
Wilmington, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9067174

Lots of lettuce and herbs for friends and family. Carrots, onions, peppers and tomatoes on their way

Thumbnail by mccaine   Thumbnail by mccaine
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mccaine
Wilmington, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9067175

oh and what looks to be a self sown pumpkin plant.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9069731

Gymgirl - the only veggie I am cutting on a daily basis is asparagus.

Peas are sending out tendrils. Garlic is now thigh-high. Onions are looking good. The slugs have started to leave the parsley alone. I think they ate the Sluggo+ and crawled away to die!

Rosemary and Sage are blooming. Mint that looked dead - isn't (I don't think one can kill mint.) Greek Oregano is vowed and determind to take over the garden. That stuff is hard to pull out! The tiny thyme plants I put in about four years ago and now huge, green mats.

Come the week of the 15th transplants will be set out in the garden. Right now I have hardening off: tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, basil, squash and pumpkins.

The "Tasty Bites" melon seeds had 100% germination. They'll be set outside mid-April to harden off for a week, along with more tomatoes.

I have two pear trees. One bloomed, the other didn't. Wanna bet that the one that didn't bloom needed to in order for the other to bear fruit? The fig tree is loaded with baby figs. The persimmon tree looks very green and healthy. (I love persimmons!)

Gorgeous purple irises are in bloom. The yellow ones should bloom next - here are some photos from a couple of years ago...

Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC   Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC   Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC   Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9070922

I keep planting more peas each year, and we keep eating more and wishing we had more. For 1 peas addict and 2 adults who like them, this is what I planted last year - and I did not have enough for freezing (keep in mind I live in the high desert and yields are not what they would be in a climate that didn't go from 30*F to 90*F within a few weeks in June):

100 English Peas
100 Sugar Snap Peas
50 Snow Peas

As a side note, while I don't eat pea tendrils, my chickens love the shells from the English Peas, and also devour all the leaves (by the time I pull them and give them to the hens, the vines are too tough for them, but they still love the leaves and tendrils). They eat the peas, too, but I don't share those much :-)
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9072799

Only thing we've been eating is cucumbers, I'd say the bulk of the tomatoes aren't going to come in until the end of May. The bush beans we have another month on..not sure about the zuke, okra or melons.

I wish I had done a bit of research on the bush beans as I recently (last night) found our their harvest is only a two week window...since I grow in the EB's I'm trying to figure out how to stagger or have plants large enough to transplant. I have three boxes of 8 plants each, about 4 - 6 of the plants are a week or so apart due to the original bean no sprouting. Since these will be used or frozen (Zapita's food) It's not a major concern but she doesn't like the commercially frozen beans much and during the winter the cost of fresh is about 2+ a lb.

Anyone have an idea of the yield per plant? She eats about a cup a day so I'd love to know how much I'd have to supplement at the Farmer's Market to be able to go ahead and process enough to last until next spring/summer when I can plant again.

Thumbnail by araness

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9072881

araness, that is the reason I plant only Pole Beans- they give you a long harvest- plus they are so much easier to pick, and a more efficient use of space. Just give them a decent trellis and you will be harvesting daily! I love my Kwintus beans.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9072913

I wish I had the space..and if they were for human consumption I might see what I could do without tomato wise but since it's for the baby (dog) and next year I can stagger the planting I'll stick with the bush if I can. The DH only had one rule about my garden

**Nothing on the fence!* lol I guess he still has nightmares of trying to battle the out of control ground cover that took over the fence at our last home.

The picture below kinda gives you an idea on the limited amount of space..factor in the tomatoes will soon triple in size and well...

Thumbnail by araness

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9073072

Your garden looks so nice. I've had a burst of energy for the last 3 days and got a ton done, almost got my whole sale order completely potted up. However, I'm paying for it now. I'm laying on the couch hoping I will be able to move again soon. Lol

The pole beans should take up less space and produce more. I let mine grow up really tall tomatoes cages, I only use 2 cages because they are so much more productive.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9075660

I need to get out and weed, thin out the green onions etc..not to mention the zuke that they called compact that is already LARGE.

Don't push yourself to hard it will just make things worse..*G* ask me how I know? I'm so glad the weather has been this mild for us because P.T., acupuncture and doctors appointments are taking up way to much of my time! We spent lots of time outside last weekend and I paid with not being able to walk.

Maybe I can pick up a few more EB staking systems and do pole beans next year. All depends on the productivity of these.

I'm already starting to plan for the fall. I've always envied Linda's and others winter crops so this year I'm going to give it a try. Since the DH isn't a huge green's fan I'm going to try the broccoli and winter squash and beans along with tons of root veggies.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my Dad remains stable so I don't have to split my time between Tx/Al and can focus on the garden this year. LOL might be the only thing keeping me sane.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9075672

araness - is that grass I see you your photo? Perhaps you could remove some of that to plant vegetables.

I'm happy to say I have a grass-free backyard!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9075676

Yes, we do have a strip of grass, the baby (A.K.A. the dog) has put her paw down and demanded that some grass remain.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9075680

araness - LOL!

Our dog didn't get a vote!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9077164

Araness, winter squash, and pumpkins arent grown in the winter, it just stores better then summer squash and usually has a vining growth habit. It also has a longer DTM. You can start it any time. I start it anyime from now until about mid August.

I havent forgotten your seeds I havent gotten them in mail either, but I will.

How do you know that pushing myself will make it worse? Hey, you said to ask.lol
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9077190

lol!

Ohh drats and I don't have more Earthboxes or raised bed space (I want spaghetti squash!) We've talked about extending the EB "bed" a bit to allow more space..which in my mind means more EB's...not sure the husband was thinking along those lines.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9077217

Well you can have spaghetti squash you just need to plant it now. Lol do you have a spot where you can plant in ground just add lots of aged manure and compost in to the specific area.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9077245

roflmao..in ground...ohhh no, we don't do that here. The baby would dig it up and be covered in mud. It's all I can do to keep her out of the herb bed no way I could if she smelled aged manure and it was at eye level.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America