-
AuthorContent
LIGladLover
Brentwood, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9063061

My sister lives in White Plains, NY and has decided she wants to do a flower box this year and asked for recommendations. It will be on the E-NE side of the house, fairly shaded and she would prefer to just let the rain take care of watering for her. My first thought was Coleus but I suspect she'll want some actual flowering plants. Any suggestions? I have Coleus, Hostas, and Daylilies in the few shaded areas of my yard so I'm not sure what to tell her.

Thanks.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9063076

If she adds some reconstituted water crystals (available at big box stores and nurseries) to the soil and she plants impatiens she would have infrequent watering to do.

These were in a ENE exposure.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LIGladLover
Brentwood, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9063329

Thanks, I'll let her know.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9064796

If she wants to just leave it there with little attention, Heucheras will make her happy and will bloom. For constant blooms there are lots of annuals that she can put in. If she wants perennials, they will bloom only once or may re-bloom and Heucheras do very well. Also great with Heuchera and Coleus are Ipomeoa (Sweet Potato vine).

For that early sun exposure, she could also put in some Caladium bulbs. You cannot expect blooms, but the foliage is wonderful.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 7:59 PM

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9067839

Plumbago works well in the shade too, and tolerates neglect well. Just ask mine! =) They'll give her a pretty blue bloom.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Shady Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwood Shrubs (flowering) Goldengirl 18 May 19, 2008 11:50 PM
info on shade-loving vine? Horseshoe 29 Oct 2, 2007 6:30 AM
Just a little shady corner. CountryGardens 7 Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM
share your shade garden pics IowaAnn 198 Sep 15, 2008 4:42 PM
Problem area-wet shade, Please help Shadyfolks 52 Sep 13, 2008 3:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America