Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: General contractor + subs - do I tip?

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 4, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sue_WA

Sue_WA
Seattle, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9063192

In the middle of our first foray of remodeling. I have to say. It's been a positive experience, I have been very happy with everything. We are remodeling/updating our 15 year old cookie cutter house. The work has been on time and truly we have only had a few issues. It was kind of brought to my attention that I might want to tip the subcontractors. Keep in mind that my home is wide open, meaning we moved out while this entire home is being redone. So, I don't know all of the people doing this work, who is who, etc. Some work has been completed. We are probably 50-60 days before completion.

Advice? Have you done this? Or opinions too. :)
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9063271

Being a plumber by trade, I have done many remodels and I have never expected a tip beyond what I was charging nor do I believe anyone should.
But, I have received a few tips in the past and I tried to turn them down.
Its your call.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9063286

I was glad to see this thread. It's always a problem to know when and whom
to tip. I don't tip contractors themselves but have on occasion slipped a tip to
the workers.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9063317

I've never tipped contractors either...best thing you can do to thank them for a good job is spread the word about your good experience so that your friends, family, coworkers, etc will hire them when they need work done.

Sue_WA

Sue_WA
Seattle, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9089047

I thank you all for this advice. I agree with spreading the name, and I have done so a couple of times with interested people. Thanks for answering my post! Have a great weekend. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America