Photo by Melody

Handyman & Tools: General contractor + subs - do I tip?

Communities > Forums > Handyman & Tools
Forum: Handyman & ToolsReplies: 4, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks

Seattle, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9063192

In the middle of our first foray of remodeling. I have to say. It's been a positive experience, I have been very happy with everything. We are remodeling/updating our 15 year old cookie cutter house. The work has been on time and truly we have only had a few issues. It was kind of brought to my attention that I might want to tip the subcontractors. Keep in mind that my home is wide open, meaning we moved out while this entire home is being redone. So, I don't know all of the people doing this work, who is who, etc. Some work has been completed. We are probably 50-60 days before completion.

Advice? Have you done this? Or opinions too. :)
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9063271

Being a plumber by trade, I have done many remodels and I have never expected a tip beyond what I was charging nor do I believe anyone should.
But, I have received a few tips in the past and I tried to turn them down.
Its your call.

Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9063286

I was glad to see this thread. It's always a problem to know when and whom
to tip. I don't tip contractors themselves but have on occasion slipped a tip to
the workers.

Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9063317

I've never tipped contractors thing you can do to thank them for a good job is spread the word about your good experience so that your friends, family, coworkers, etc will hire them when they need work done.

Seattle, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9089047

I thank you all for this advice. I agree with spreading the name, and I have done so a couple of times with interested people. Thanks for answering my post! Have a great weekend. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman & Tools Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America