General contractor + subs - do I tip?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

In the middle of our first foray of remodeling. I have to say. It's been a positive experience, I have been very happy with everything. We are remodeling/updating our 15 year old cookie cutter house. The work has been on time and truly we have only had a few issues. It was kind of brought to my attention that I might want to tip the subcontractors. Keep in mind that my home is wide open, meaning we moved out while this entire home is being redone. So, I don't know all of the people doing this work, who is who, etc. Some work has been completed. We are probably 50-60 days before completion.

Advice? Have you done this? Or opinions too. :)

Greenfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Being a plumber by trade, I have done many remodels and I have never expected a tip beyond what I was charging nor do I believe anyone should.
But, I have received a few tips in the past and I tried to turn them down.
Its your call.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I was glad to see this thread. It's always a problem to know when and whom
to tip. I don't tip contractors themselves but have on occasion slipped a tip to
the workers.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never tipped contractors either...best thing you can do to thank them for a good job is spread the word about your good experience so that your friends, family, coworkers, etc will hire them when they need work done.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

I thank you all for this advice. I agree with spreading the name, and I have done so a couple of times with interested people. Thanks for answering my post! Have a great weekend. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images