Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9063565

April 2012

Farmers Calendar

1st-4th Grub Out Weeds, Briars, And Plant Pests.

5th-7th First Day Good For Planting Corn, Melons, Squash, Tomatoes, And Other Aboveground Crops. Last Days Favorable For Planting Root Crops. All Days Favorable For Sowing Grains, Hay And Fodder Crops, And Planting Flowers.

8th-9th Good Days For Planting Beets, Carrots, Radishes, Turnips, Peanuts, And Root Crops. Also Good For Cabbage, Cauliflower, Lettuce, Kale, Celery, And Other Leafy Vegetables. Start Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.

10th-12th Barren Period. Do No Planting.

13th-14th Favorable Days For Planting Beets, Carrots, Turnips, Radishes, Onions, And Root Crops.

15th-17th Excellent Time To Kill Weeds, Briars, Poison Ivy, And Plant Pests.

18th-19th Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops, Extra Good For Vine Crops. Set Strawberry Plants. Good Days For Transplanting.

20th-21st Poor Planting Day. Break Ground Or Cultivate.

22nd-23rd Favorable Days For Planting Beans, Corn, Cotton, Tomatoes, Peppers, And Aboveground Crops.

24th-25th Poor Days For Planting, Seeds Will Rot In The Ground.

26th-27th Plant Tomatoes, Beans, Peppers, Corn, Cotton, And Other Aboveground Crops. Plant Seedbeds. Start Flower Gardens.

28th-30th Grub Out Weeds, Briars, And Other Plant Pests.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9063573

1 - 2 April 2012

Leaf day
Moon Waxing gibbous

Synodic:
Sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Cabbages, Celeriac, Celery, Dill, Lettuce, Spinach . Do not sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans, Cucumbers, Peas, Tomatoes.

Sidereal:
Moon in Cancer: This is a good time for germination
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9064510

3 - 4 April 2012

Leaf day
Planet Cancer
Moon Waxing gibbous

Synodic:
Sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Cabbages, Celery, Dill, Lettuce,Rhubarb, Spinach. Do not sow Fruiting plants like Aubergines (Eggplant), Broad Beans, Cucumbers, Peas, Peppers, Tomatoes.

Sidereal:
Moon in Leo: Dry and barren. Good time for garden maintenance.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9067438

Hi Cristina, I have a question for you (please forgive me if someone already asked this) What about transplanting a plant that was started from seed on a favorable day, is it okay to transplant it to the garden on an unfavorable day?

I have some tomato plants that were started in Feb. and I have time to put them in the garden tomorrow (Tues April 3) but tomorrow is an unfavorable planting day. I will be busy on Thrusday and Friday with Passover preparation so should I wait for the next good days which will be Sunday and Monday April 8 and 9?

This has happened before where there was a mild, cloudy day that would be good for transplanting, but it wasn't a planting day according to the Biodynamic calendar. What is the best thing to do, take advantage of good weather, or wait for a favorable planting date? Would appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks in advance!
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9068664

Ladypearl sorry I'm late, I do not do ANY gardening with Leo around, even if the biodynamic calendar say that it is ok.

Leo is barren, dry, fiery, masculine and very strong planet, your plant will continue growing and it will look nice BUT it will not produce plentiful and the plants may have any and all kind of problem. No matter what any calendar, almanac or moon gardening book would say, I will not sow, plant, transplant anything when Leo is around.

Virgo is another one that is not a good sign for planting veggies, but flowers, ornamental & vines will do very well when planted under this sign. Vegetables will produce lots of growth and the plant will look beautiful but will NOT produce well.

All these I experienced by gardening for many years and following my own notes that I write in my journal.

Unfortunately, the next planet is Virgo if I was you I'd wait til the 10th when you will have a very fertile planet Scorpio.

For tomatoes Scorpio, Cancer, Pisces and some people say Leo (not me!)
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9068692

5 April 2012

Fruit day
Planet Leo
Moon Full Moon

Synodic:
Sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Leo: Fire sign. Sow Fruiting plants: Eggplant, Broad Beans, Cucumbers, Peas, Peppers, Tomatoes. Do not sow Leaf plants: Cabbages, Celery, Dill, Lettuce, Rhubarb, Spinach, Fruits harvested now will have to be eaten soon.

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9069864

OK, I will ask a question as well. sometimes plants come to your house in the mail and they at least need to be potted up. I could not wait for a favorable time to do this, though I have not yet planted them in the ground. Are they doomed???

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9069965

Nope. The "signs" are merely the optimum times, not the only times...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9069968

Thanks! Whew!
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9070074

The main thing is to make sure that the roots are protected and covered with soil and provide moisture.

Transplanting at any stage is good to provide a second chance to your plants.
Soon after the Full moon til the Third quarter, the gravitational pull is high,there is a higher water content in the soil, and at this point the moonlight is decreasing, giving us a perfect opportunity to transplant, under a fertile sign like Cancer, Taurus, Scorpio, Pisces and Capricorn these fertile/ semi fertile signs will promote a great root growth. Use Libra for flowers, ornamental shrubs, trees and edges.

You can always right something done "wrong", in all things all the time and always with plants.

Once more, remember transplanting is a new beginning for a plant, a second chance so it is Important!
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9070114

6 - 7 April 2012

Fruit Day
Planet Virgo
Moon Full Moon

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Virgo: Earth sign. Sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Potatoes, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Shallots, Spring Onions. Do not sow Flower plants: Broccoli, Cauliflowers, Globe Artichokes, Fruits Harvested will not keep for long.

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

Note:
Virgo, The Virgin
Good for Herbs: borage, chervil, dill, caraway, mint, morning glory, lily, horehound, lavender, marjoram.
Feminine Earth sign but Barren sign, will produce foliage but no fruit: a shrub yes, tomatoes, no.
Virgo is an excellent zodiac sign to plant flowers and vines.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9070358

Okay, I'm convinced - going to wait till a favorable sign to transplant. We got 2.5 inches of rain on Tuesday whoooohooooooo!! Thank you for answering questions for us Cristina.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9070825

Ladypearl I've been in DG's for many, many years. When I did visit the moon gardening forum for the first time, on October 23, 2009 this forum was practically dead, there was not movement and people did not show much interest at all.

Slowly the forum regain life and when I saw this change It was great, so I will continue to make time and try to answer any question if I can help.

I have learn a lot all the years that I done the biodynamic way, in Australia is very popular and organic farmers and gardener follow this because it is so rewarding getting such a quantity of produces and beautiful home gardens that one wants everybody to enjoy the same.

Many, many people help me along the way, I have to repay that, somehow.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9070952

Ladypearl I am so happy for you to have some rain, I thought I did wrote that comment for you; water is so important and all over there is lack of this precious element .

Over here in this region of Chile is classified as a temperate region with a rainfall of over
1200cc per year, this year we are in drought, I hope that we start getting some rain and I'll be as happy as you!
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9072726

We had a severe drought last year (spring through the summer) (finally started raining some in late September 2011, I think). It was brutal to the trees and bushes; and all the grass died. There weren't even any bugs for the chickens to hunt. But this year, except for the dead trees and bushes which everybody is gradually cutting down, you would never know we had a drought here. The grass and weeds are growing like crazy. The garden is doing pretty good too.

Well I appreciate that you revived this forum and answer questions for us.
bluepoppy
Landisburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9072906

I was planning on putting some strawberry plants out today..Looks like that wouldn't be good with virgo...So would Monday be better???

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9072954

My 2˘ worth: I'd wait for Wednesday after 10 AM, or Thursday after 8 am, both are Fruit days on my biodynamic calendar. Planting Monday and Tuesday will give you lots of leafy growth, but at the cost of less fruiting.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9073097

there you go! that is good for greater amount of produce and your strawberries will be nice and plump.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9073098

8 - 9 April 2012

Flower day
Planet Libra
Moon Waning gibbous

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Libra: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants like Angelica, Borage, Broccoli, Caraway, Cauliflowers, Globe Artichokes, Do not sow Rooting plants Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Horseradish, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish,, Shallots.

Sidereal: April 8th
Moon in Libra: A Good time to sow green manures or cover crops.
Sidereal: April 9th
Moon in Scorpio: An excellent time for planting, germination and strong sturdy growth will result.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9074217

10 - 11 April 2012

Leaf day
Planet Scorpio
Moon Waning gibbous

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Scorpio: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants like Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Dill,  Lettuce, Rhubarb, Spinach. Do not sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans, Cucumbers, Beans, Peppers, Pumpkins, Sweetcorn, Tomatoes.

Sidereal:
Moon in Scorpio: Good for planting, germination and strong sturdy growth will result.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9075988

12 - 13 April 2012

Fruit day
Planet Sagittarius
Moon: Last quarter

Synodic:
Do not sow anything in the garden. Time for cultivation, weeding and harvest. Build a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Sagittarius: Fire sign. Sow Fruiting plants: Broad Beans, Cucumbers,Beans, Marrows and Courgettes, Peas, Peppers , Pumpkins, Sweetcorn,Tomatoes. Do not sow Leaf plants like Basil, Cabbages, Lettuce, Spinach...

Sidereal:
Moon in Sagittarius: Dry and barren. Good time to plant onion sets and bulbs.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9078978

14 - 15 April 2012

Root day
Planet Capricorn
Moon Last quarter

Synodic:
Do not sow anything in the garden. Time for cultivation, weeding and harvest. Build a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Capricorn: Earth sign. Sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Leeks, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Potatoes, Turnips. Do not sow Flower plants: like Angelica, Broccoli, Cauliflowers, Globe Artichokes.

Sidereal:
Moon in Capricorn: Potatoes and tubers planted now will have a strong growth.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9082407

16 - 17 & 18 April 2012

Flower day
Planet Aquarius
Moon Waning crescent

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aquarius: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants like Angelica, Borage, Broccoli, Caraway, Cauliflowers, Wormwood. Do not sow Rooting plants like Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Leeks, Onions,Turnips ...

Sidereal, 16 - 17 April 2012::
Moon in Aquarius: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance only.

Sidereal, 18 April 2012:
Moon in Pisces: This is the best sign for planting soft fruit. It is a time of maximum water intake for plants.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9084785

Just an FYI to add to your biodynamic planting notes:

root crops (including onions and leeks, which are not technically root crops) do best if sown when the moon is passing through earth signs

leafy crops do best when the moon is associated with water signs

flowering plants do best when the moon is associated with air signs

fruits do better when the moon is associated with fire signs

Earth signs: Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn
Air signs: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius
Water signs: Pisces, Cancer, Scorpio
Fire signs: Aries, Leo, Saggitarius
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9085211

Darius good to see you around. Hope you're well.
Thanks so much and of course, that is the case.

But I do reiterate, during many years of biodynamic gardening experience, for me Leo is good to harvest produce but nothing else other than weed eradication and garden cultivation and composting.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9085285

Cristina, I cut the grass the last time in Leo, and it extended the time between mowings by 3-4 days!
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9085495

Yes, that is what usually happens, also if you have to dyed your hair you trim the end a bit or have a hair cut on Leo better still on the Last Quarter in Leo and tint the hair, it will last 1 or 2 more weeks.

It is good for some things...

This message was edited Apr 17, 2012 11:08 AM
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9086187

Does that mean it is a good time to plant flowers today (moon in Aquarius)? My DH bought a flat of raspberry colored vinca for me and it is a cool (not hot temperature wise) day to do some gardening.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9088044

Yes. yes, yes!

Flower day is for flowers annuals and perennial, herbs.

Note: in the biodynamic it is recommended to plant broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower because they are all flowers but for me, they do give me the best results planted on leaf days.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9088050

19 - 20 April 2012

Leaf day
Planet Pisces
Moon New Moon

Synodic
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber. Grains are also good to plant now. Produce harvest today will keep for longer.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants : Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages,Celery, Dill, Kale, Lettuce, Rhubarb, Spinach.Do not sow Fruiting plants, Cucumbers, Beans, Marrows and Courgettes, Peas, Peppers, Pumpkins, Squashes, Sweetcorn,Tomatoes, Fruits Harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: This water sign promotes root growth.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9088080

21 - 22 - 23 April 2012

Fruit day
Planet Aries
1. Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, also Grains. Produce harvest today will store well.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aries: Fire sign. Sow Fruiting plants: Aubergines (Eggplant), Broad Beans , beans, Cucumbers, Marrows, Courgettes , Pumkins and Squashes, Peas, Peppers,  Sweetcorn,Tomatoes. Do not sow Leaf plants: Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages,  Celery, Dill, Kale, Lettuce, Rhubarb, Spinach, Swiss Chard. Produce harvest today will store well.

Sidereal, 21 - 22 April 2012
Moon in Aries: Dry and barren. Good time for garden maintenance.

Sidereal, 23 April 2012
Moon in Taurus: This is a good time to sow Root vegetable crops especially when hardiness in drought conditions is needed.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
11:36 PM

Post #9088432

Okay, looks like the 19th and 20th will be good for planting. Thank you Cristina
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9089807

carrots
chives
radishes

What 'category' are these? Have never tried planting by the moon ...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9089950

chives are 'leaf', carrots are 'root'... I'd guess radishes are also 'root'
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #9091198

Thanks, Darius..
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9091718

Chive are root crop, but because they are used mainly by their leaves,they are also cultivated as "leaf day" crop and you even can extend their cultivation as Flower crop if you need their flower, as is the case in France, where they use them in high raking restaurant in dishes as flower garnishes and salads.

Chive is a shallow rooted crop (25-30 cm), so land preparation should not be deep. For virgin lands, ...
http://www.newgmc.com/gmc_docs/Farmers_Manual/chives.pdf

... frost temperatures. Chives, bunching onions and radishes are root crops ideal for winter. Plant by...
http://www.ehow.com/list_6525717_list-garden-plants-survive-winter.html

Early maturing crops - Approximate maturity 30 days. Plant by mid September. Use the dates from the previous page as well as the Best Dates below. The latest dates are for warmer climates, later frosts, or protected plantings.

ROOTCROPS

Chives
Bunching Onions
Radishes ...
http://www.humeseeds.com/falwint.htm

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9091877

24 - 25 April 20 12.

Root day
Planet Taurus
Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals: Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, also any type of Grains.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: Earth sign. Sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives,Leeks,Onions, Spring Onions, Jerusalem Artichokes, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Early Potatoes, Swedes, Turnips. Do not sow Flower plants Angelica, Borage, Broccoli, Cauliflowers.

Sidereal: 24 April 2012
Moon in Aries: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance only.

Sidereal: 25 April 2012
Moon in Taurus: Sow Root vegetable crops especially when hardiness in drought conditions is needed.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 24, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9096405

26 - 27 April 2012

Flower day
Planet Gemini
Moon Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals :Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, also any type of Grains. Vegetables and Fruit harvest today are to be used soon.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Gemini: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants: Angelica, Borage, Broccoli, Caraway, Cauliflowers, Globe Artichokes. Do not sow Rooting plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Chives, Leeks.

Sidereal:
Moon in Gemini: Barren and dry, and yet good for promoting flower growth.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9097242

Cristina ~ If I am growing rosemary for ornamental use, rather than culinary, can I plant them on a
flower day rather than a leaf day?

I want lots of flowers on these...
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9097698

Yes, that is the way to go with ANY herb that would be grown for theirs flower.
If you want to use them as a ground cover then a leaf day is much better and using the last quarter in a Fiery planet, that is Aries, Leo and Saggitarius
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9097703

28 April 2012

Flower day
Planet Gemini
Moon: First quarter

Synodic:
Sow vegetables with internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Gemini: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants: Broccoli, Caraway, Cauliflowers, Herbs. Do not sow Rooting plants: Asparagus, Beetroot,Carrots, Chives, Leeks, Onions, Shallots, Spring Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Swedes,Turnips.

Sidereal:
Moon in Cancer: Excellent moon for germination.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9100528

29 - 30 April 2012

Leaf day
Planet Cancer
Moon: 29 April 2012 First quarter
Moon: 30 April 2012 Waxing gibbous

Synodic:
Sow vegetables with seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Dill, Kale, Lettuce, Rhubarb, Spinach, Swiss Chard. Do not sow Fruiting plants: Broad Beans, Beans, Cucumbers, Marrows, Courgettes, Pumpkins, Peas, Peppers, Squashes, Sweetcorn, Tomatoes.

Sidereal, 29 April 2012
Moon in Cancer: Promotes seeds germination

Sidereal, 30 April 2012
Moon in Leo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

NOTE: When you plant in a WATER sign, the energy will go into the leaves.
Lettuce, spinach, grass, cabbage, cress, any leafy growth will thrive planted now. This is considered to be the most productive sign, even more so than Earth signs. Also good time for fertilizing and irrigating. Start
composts heaps. Sow peas. Don't harvest now, crops will decay very quickly. Plant melons, grapes, any fruit with high water content will do well with Cancer on a Waxing Moon.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9100707

Good advice Cristina, thank you!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9102582

OK, thanks for the info. I was thinking that I should start melons in a fruit sign rather than a water sign, but that is logical and makes sense.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9102787

cristina wrote:: Promotes seeds germination

NOTE: When you plant in a WATER sign, the energy will go into the leaves.
Lettuce, spinach, grass, cabbage, cress, any leafy growth will thrive planted now. This is considered to be the most productive sign, even more so than Earth signs. Also good time for fertilizing and irrigating. Start
composts heaps. Sow peas. Don't harvest now, crops will decay very quickly. Plant melons, grapes, any fruit with high water content will do well with Cancer on a Waxing Moon.

OK, even though we are advised against planting peas...can we also plant corn, or will there be little ears? I was thinking of well-filled out and juicy corn.

(Biodynamic: Do not sow Fruiting plants: Broad Beans, Beans, Cucumbers, Marrows, Courgettes, Pumpkins, Peas, Peppers, Squashes, Sweetcorn, Tomatoes.)

Thanks for your sage advice based on your experience. Last year I followed you completely with the FA calender, and I must say I was not all that impressed. This year I am trying the biodynamic calendar, but hope to have some planted as controls under a different influence for comparison. (I have not yet had the time or energy yet to do this, as my priority is results not research...LOL!!)

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9103105

OK, I am going to be me, why you don't give it a go and try.

If you look in the " Synodic: Sow vegetables with seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes." and see the result.

I have never use the Sidereal system.
With the Farmer Almanac I didn't use it, as I said some time ago, I buy the FA for the extra information that they do provide, but I am considering not to continue ordering my digital edition next year. I only put the FA in DG's because I thought it was popular in the USA. It took me a bit of courage to put the 3 other calender systems on the thread, but I have been using the biodynamic since 1976 and also, when I want to be "naughty" I use the Synodic just to accommodate myself with what I want to do. I do the entry in my garden book, which took me some few years to do it properly and then learn from the experience.

All that to try to convince you to plant at least some peas and some corn and see how you go!

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9103995

Thank you, Cristina. I just though you might have some experience in growing some other plants under a "leaf moon", since you shared your experience with melons. I will post my sowings on the other thread and later with the results.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9104512

Evelyn I do like reading about your "experiment" and I am sure that even now you are so astonish with the good result you're getting!
Good sowing and enjoy your plants!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America