Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Perennials: Surprize plants

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 7, Views: 182
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9063987

I am real careful to include a zinc plant ID marker or plant the cardboard marker with the new plant till I can get a more permanent one made. Each morning when I got to driveway to pick up the newspaper, I look around the two flowerbeds I have. I keep finding plants I have no idea what they are and don't recall planting them. The newbies I discovered this morning may be a type of snapdragon I planted last year but its leaves are different than my other snapdragons..Umm! Hopefully I'll find a marker somewhere hidden among the foliage to ID it.

Do you ever run into this problem in your flowerbeds when Spring rolls around? I'm going to leave it because of the location of the plant makes me think it might be those snapdragons. I know it is not a weed. I usually have dwarf fairy candytuft in that area and their foliage doesn't look the same. I wintersowed some of that and those are almost ready to plant out because they are crowded in the WS milk jug and are ready to come out. Has a lot of foliage, not just several leaves.
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9064068

that happens to me, but more often with volunteers, not perennials. Here's a good site with photos of seedlings, but you have to have an idea of what it is, because it's alphabetical
http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Seedling_Photo_Gallery.html
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9064167

Perennials can volunteer too, I suspect that's what is going on. If you post some pictures on the ID forum someone may be able to to confirm what you have.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9064196

I'm going to leave those plants where they are; maybe if I look back on my handwritten records of Wintersown plants last year, I'll figure this out. That happened to me last year and it turned out to be rose campion. I figured it out once I saw the dusty grey/silver leaf and the plant bloom. It doesn't look like dwarf candytuft but I remember having a variety of snapdragon at the corner of the bed and I think that is what it might be, but its foliage is not like the snapdragons in another flowerbed..It'll come to me eventually and I'll post my findings. I just don't recall seeing it in the flowerbed yesterday or day before! I make a habit of looking around the flowerbeds each morning when I go out for the newspaper. Depending on weather, things can pop up and bloom in a day's time. I know it's not columbine, I know it's not a mum, nor shasta daisy, or forget-me-not, not larkspur,nor poppy.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9071420

Well, you got us curious! Let us know!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9090958

The other mystery plant is starting to bloom and the landscaping man that does my mulching, and prunning looked at it today and didn't know what it is. As it opened up more this afternoon because it was 76 degrees, it llooks like it might be in the dianthus family but the flowers are smaller than dianthus and this plant has a different foliage than sweet william, The flower as I said looks like a dianthus but very tiny and dainty. As more blooms open up, I'm going to take a picture of it. Somehow I'll send it to somebody whose address I know and ask them to post it for me. I have no idea where this plant came from.

I looked over some mail order records and the other one that I was unsure of, I'm pretty sure it is Rocket snapdragon. They have not bloomed yet, but my other variety(?)is starting to bloom, so maybe they won't be too far behind.

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9100471

My gardening friend came today to pick up some plants I was giving her and I knew she would be able to identify the one and without hesitation she told me it was Silene..That was what I first thought when I saw it pop open to bloom but the one I had rec'd from another gardening friend 3 yrs. ago was planted in another flowerbed and the foliage was not like this one..but I know she knows her plants..I thought it might be Lychnis viscaria
"Feuer." but I found my 2011 WS spreadsheet and there is no such seed listed. I will now go and look and see when I planted that other Silene(in other flowerbed)I think I might have pulled that one up because it was too spindley it's first year and put it in yard waste that gets picked up twice a week.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9100632

The flower on Silene is same color but shaped a bit different. Look on Diane Linsey's website and look up Lychnis Viscaria "Feuer" and you'll see my mystery plant. I went out and measure the height and it is at least 26 in. I've emailed Diane Linsey to see if she still has record of my seed order from back in 2009 or 2010 to see if I could have ordered this seed from her. If not, I will order some seeds from her, plant them and see if they are the same in two years. It's a beautiful flower, the color is stunning with my creeping phlox.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America