Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Carolina Gardening: Ack!!! Ticks already!

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 18, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9064470

Just pulled one off - probably going to be a very bad year for them since winter was so mild.

Just a heads up to start checking!
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9067773

I agree. And I'm a tick magnet.
Barb
gardenspot107
Summerville, SC

April 16, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9084574

The dreaded "con" of gardening!
Thankfully there arenn't many "cons"!
Happy spring gardening.
Oh, a friend sent me an article about putting soap on it and it will back out? What is your method to the madness?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9084696

If they are tiny and just attached and easily reachable I pull them off with tweezers .. not easily reachable I scratch them of with finger nails .. If they've been there enough to start fattening up I usually pinch them off .. They really are bad this year .. I've actually been considering getting a few guinea hens for their epic tick eating abilities .. still researching it .. only down side to it is that they are really noisy.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9092015

Never never put soap on an attached tick it will cause it to empty it's stomach contents into the bite, you could contract Lyme, Ehrlichia or another tick disease this way! Please remove it with a tweezers or go to the Dr. They would remove them at the hospital or clinic for free in CT
Believe me I have had my fill of dealing with tick diseases, My daughter had Lyme and still suffers some of the affects of it, she had Bell's Palsy when she was 12 from it. I also had to treat my dog for Lyme and Anaplasmosis took over 5 mos for his titers to go down . We lived in Connecticut for 10 yrs.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9095121

I've met people who had gotten Lyme's disease. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Barb
Sighhbrrgal
Cool Springs, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9123221

Forgive my ignorance about ticks ... but I thought they lived on deer and other animals but not in the grass. I guess I was wrong about that and after working in the garden for 3.5 hours yesterday I should start searching. I have two kittens but they are not allowed outside. However, I know that I can carry them into the house and so I check them anyways.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9123262

Ticks actually get on bushes and branches and drop off on to warm blooded critters. They are only on critters when they are feeding.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9123683

Sometimes you can see the tiny deer ticks on the very tips of the blades of tall grasses. They look like coffee grounds sitting there just waiting for a warm body.
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

May 21, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9132712

I'm allergic to their bites for some unknown reason (still fighting some I got last year!), so I pay attention when they (inevitably) show up! What X and Ardesia said...they hang on shrubs/low hanging trees waiting for a warm-blooded food source to brush against them. A person riding/pushing a lawn mower along the edge of close-growing shrubs is an IDEAL hang-out for them! So are pets, but they're (hopefully) protected by Advantage, et al. I get more ticks on me than my pets do! Asked the vet if I could take Advantage too. He looked at me cross-eyed and ran me out of there. In a hurry! But I was serious. I HAVE found out that if I spray my belt area, fly(!), ankles and arms with mosquito repellenant, they don't like me so much anymore...one way of dealing with a problem, I suppose, but it works...IF you remember to spray... I wish they'd stick to deer...
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9133425

I walked in ankle high grass for approximately 10 seconds yesterday and there was one, crawling up my leg. Grrr!
Barb
mrstedger
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9137510

I've had to remove three ticks so far this spring.
Now that the skeeters are biting I've been constantly using my bug spray and the ticks aren't bothering me any more, yay!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 2, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9149663

I sprayed with repellent today and went outside to do yardwork. The other eve walked with granddaughter out to car to say goodbye and a mosquito got me good. Been itching and oozing ever since? So super careful today. BEAUTIFUL day in the piedmont of NC to do yardwork. Low humidity and not hot.

Hat. Long sleeved shirt over sleeveless tee. Long pants tucked into knee socks and tnen slipped into knee height UGGS. UGGS expensive for yard footware but great for protection and comfort and indestructible. I just got tired of ruining shoes and never happy with performance. Snakes welcome to try getting through my Uggs! Anyway...raking...trimming...felt something fall on my neck from above ( from my hat??) looked down and there was a tick charging like it was on fire going down my shirt. Got it and no bite. Later felt something on face -- swiped and nothing ..then saw/felt on eyelash -- quick knocked it off and saw it was female lone star tick and nice size. One too many ticks for me! Went inside to shower and I looked and found another inside my hat! Stiff helmet style like "Miss Jane" used to wear on Beverly Hillbillies--- So ---- checked out the rest of body and then into the shower using really HOT water --- much hotter than I normally would tolerate. Lots of soap and shampoo and more HOT water. Blow dry hair with highest heat and comb attachment ( was paranoid by now and wanted a "tick roast" but was sure there was none on me ). Got dressed and off to Cracker Barrel (chicken and rice on Saturdays.) On the way...felt something on face near where sideburns would be if I had any. Pulled and looked and YUP another big fat lone star! Eeeeeech! Now, I feel like I'm crawling. Got out the IPAD to look up tick borne disease and headed over to DavesGarden to see if anybody else noticing how abundant ticks this year and found this thread from March! I have a ton of yardwork to do --- what am I gonna do? Ticks and snakes -- just make me want to run!

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9149708

Skeeters are just as bad here .. thankfully I'm able to get the ticks that fall on me off before they attach. Found 2 today in between my toes!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 2, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9149728

I have a hard time seeing the tiny tiny ticks. Mostly when the itch starts and I feel the critter -attached like a hinge -can swing what I feel back and forth- then I know it is a tick. By then too late and for me it can be a week of swelling and oozing and then weeks of residual itch even when I can no longer see the bite. Are those the kind you had? I know they like toes!
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

June 4, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9152586

Sounds like my problem, missingrosie! Only my bite-sites last for a lot longer. My Dermatologist prescribed a prescription product (Clobesetol Proprionate) for me, and the stuff works like magic. Stops the awful itching within hours, and for as long as I remember to keep applying it. Unfortunately, once it stops annoying me, I forget to apply it...and the itching comes back! So does the inflamation. But if I put the goop on when it itches and keep applying it, it eventually gives up, and goes away...
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9152881

Haven't had any ticks attach themselves to me yet, but the mosquitoes and yellow flies (oh, how I hate them!) are just awful. Think I need a "Miss Jane" hat w/mosquito netting. Woke up to more rain showers this morning, and the grass is growing like it's on steroids. Need to keep it short to avoid ticks and red bugs/chiggers.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9152884

More rain here for today .. had a really noisy storm pass thru yesterday morning around 6am .. woke me up! Lightning sounded like it was just outside - got half inch out of that one .. I also pulled another tick off of me yesterday too - thankfully they are always flat when I find them so they haven't been on very long. I'm mowing about every 5 days!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 5, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9153326

Clobesetol Proprionate - I will save this and give it to my doctor to prescribe Thanks!

bites starting to settle down now.
but the paranoia remains! HA!

we just got a wee sprinkle.
I added this Rid X --I think that was the name -- to my pondless (but there is a nice sized pond unfortunately) waterfall. It is for septic tanks.. supposed to break down and get rid of organic matter. I figure if it works in septic will work in this ornamental pond (no fish or plants) that microlift and other pond cleaners are big $$$$$ I hope this bright idea from a Walmart visit works and doesn't wreck the pump or turn the water blue! I was hoping for some rain to add to the water level.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America