AuthorContent
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

March 31, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9065033

Great to read the last 3 months of the flowering thread and I read the Brugmansia thread also, great things happening Chrissy, Cetsrum and Dianne, well done. I hear Alistair has gone OS to grow exotics, much wider market for the commercial trade so hope he's successful. After coming back to OS I can't imagine a better place than Aust

Well my garden at the big house has flourished with the monsoonal rains that have hopefully gone now. We have settled in our other beach house 2 houses away from our big house and can close this up when ever we want to leave, it's so easy to maintain . My new passion (for plants that is ) are the new Aglaonemas that are going to hit the Australian market big time in the next year. I was able to get my hands on 6 new varieties that I got by tissue culture in Thailand . These little darlings thrive outside in the tropics and ABSOLUTELY nothing eats them. Below is a picture of a couple that I have just planted out. They are quite small but as you can see by the pic that the old common Silver Queen near it, is so plain compared to these new hybrids. I have no idea how they pollinate and not much research literature out there so will have to keep on digging... wow you can put 5 pic's at once on here, were we always able to do that or is that a new feature?

I noticed Cestrum that Judy's yellow oleander flowered for you, mine is over 6ft and still no flowers, oh well maybe next season. I'm back for the winter here on the Island , the best place in the world to spend winters so will pop in regularly. I had my ipad and it's so frustrating with these mobile internet servers ,so slow that doing online forums is the pits, we won't even talk about the limitations of the iphone and how slow that is, give me a normal computer anyday...can you tell I'm menopausal, no patience at all.

Hope this photo turns out OK on here, do I need to resize???? can't remember,

This message was edited Apr 2, 2012 10:49 PM

Thumbnail by MyaC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 31, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9065068

Welcome back, Mya.
So glad that everything has gone well for you in your move from one house to the other...
I will have to look those Aglaonemas up...they look very colourful...and nothing eats them!!!

The 5 pics is a new feature...a handy one too.
The photo was fine, if it gets too slow to upload, sometimes it's better to resize them.

Alistair has a coffee plantation in Colombia, he's home at the moment and that book he's been writing is due this month..
He is on Facebook too if you want to see what he's been up to.

Not many of my cannas survived, but your FiFi has been successful with cestrum and Chrissy.
Good to have you back.
Dianne.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

March 31, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9065077

Quoting:Not many of my cannas survived, but your FiFi has been successful with cestrum and Chrissy.
Good to have you back.
Dianne.

My cannas are fantastic however they are under lock and key otherwise they wouldn't have survived either,some as tall as 10 ft. Thanks for the tip re resizing and oh what a joy to stick 5 pics in at once, will try that with this post. I had a gardener put some cannas in big pots for me (I hinted pretty hard that's what I wanted) and they look stunning, especially the bronzed leaf type.

I'll have to ask Cestrum and Chrissy to post a pic of Fifi, would love to see what she turned out like. My brugs are all gone, too hard to maintain them here with the wallabies and possums but I love to read all about them, they are one majestic plant.

Also would love the link to Alistairs FB...thanks

Thumbnail by MyaC   Thumbnail by MyaC   Thumbnail by MyaC   Thumbnail by MyaC   Thumbnail by MyaC
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 1, 2012
12:23 AM

Post #9065107

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=529997369
This will get you there Mya, but Alistair will have to friend you, which I have no doubt he will...
Beautiful Cannas..they do look majestic in pots.

Here is a link to some Fifi pics and discussion http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243283
cestrum and Chrissy will have more to show you.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 1, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9065113

thanks Di on both links
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 1, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9065146

"These little darlings thrive outside in the tropics and ABSOLUTELY nothing eats them."

I gather you don't have a feral pig problem? I sure wish I didn't :O(
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 1, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9065170

tropicbreeze wrote:"These little darlings thrive outside in the tropics and ABSOLUTELY nothing eats them."

I gather you don't have a feral pig problem? I sure wish I didn't :O(

OK you win, maybe something (pigs) does eat them...I was actually talking about my own demons...wallabies and possums, thank goodness we have no feral pigs on the Island, that would just about make me give up gardening... how do you cope? electric fence?

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 1, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9065672

Mya's back! How lovely :-)
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 1, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9065974

cestrum_SEQ wrote:Mya's back! How lovely :-)

Where's Chrissy ????

Has anyone heard from Judy ????

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 1, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9066056

MyaC wrote:

OK you win, maybe something (pigs) does eat them...I was actually talking about my own demons...wallabies and possums, thank goodness we have no feral pigs on the Island, that would just about make me give up gardening... how do you cope? electric fence?

Yes, I have an electric fence. But the wallabies broke it and shorted out the hot tape. From the tracks looks like a medium pig with some piglets got in. Luckily no permanent damage. Some plants chewed up and a lot dug up. Being the end of the wet season everything is drying fast, but I got to the plants in time and also fixed the fence. So now only the wallabies, possums and bandicoots can get in.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 1, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9066108

Mya, my Gloriosas came up about 4'' and gave a couple away to friends[thank you again]...heres 'mauve cricket'-Anthony

Thumbnail by g_whizz

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 1, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9066206

tropicbreeze wrote:
Yes, I have an electric fence. But the wallabies broke it and shorted out the hot tape. From the tracks looks like a medium pig with some piglets got in. Luckily no permanent damage. Some plants chewed up and a lot dug up. Being the end of the wet season everything is drying fast, but I got to the plants in time and also fixed the fence. So now only the wallabies, possums and bandicoots can get in.

oh my and I thought I had it tough with just my wallabies and possums, we do have bush turkeys but my pup love's to chase them out of the garden through the day and I let him, gives him exercise and keeps the turkeys on their toes, he has never come close to catching one they are super fast when they want to be... I've read some of your posts in the tropical garden section and love the diversity of your landscape, must be a real challenge yet rewarding when it all comes together, a real credit to you.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 1, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9066209

g_whizz wrote:Mya, my Gloriosas came up about 4'' and gave a couple away to friends[thank you again]...heres 'mauve cricket'-Anthony

would you believe that on my travels I found a pure yellow one and yes it did come home with me...was there any doubt...no flowers and alas probably not till next summer now ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 1, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9066290

You certainly must post when that one flowers...yellow must be beautiful.

The orange Frangipani you gave me, did get to 15cms and then a slug/snail ate thru the centre, so it is now only tiny again...but still going..it sprouted new leaves this summer so I know it's ok...
Are you still growing them from seed?

No one has heard from Judy unfortunately, she was going to cut down on her garden...hope she kept her Oleanders...

Chrissy is secretary on BGI, so she is very busy...there is a FB link that she updates for them as well.
She hasn't been here for a week or so,

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 2, 2012
12:00 AM

Post #9066293

Anthony, Mauve Cricket is lovely...those spider types are beautiful...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 2, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9066548

Thanks Mya. Yes, it is a challenge and sometimes makes me ask why keep doing it. Then I realise I'd feel lost not doing it.

We don't have Bush Turkeys here but the Jungle Fowl (or Orange-footed Scrub Fowl as the Twitchers insist is their right name) do the same job.

A couple of Spathoglottis plicata still flowering now.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 2, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9067473

What beautiful pictures !

How are you settling in in your new home Mya ? so you have a new love ...Aglaonemas, I am unfamiliar with that plant I must google and see what it is ? it looks like a house plant, is it a foliage plant ?

I certainly will post pics of Fifi when she blooms again, it's crazy weather here (well it has been for months). The Brug buds are all taking ages to go from green to colour because of the recent cool nights, but we are having a heat patch at the moment (of course it may play havoc with crossing the impending flushes but I am loving the ground drying up a bit). I will post Fernado hopefully in the next day or two ...it's hard to tell when exactly but very soon.

Are you going to breed these Aglaonemas ? do they make flowers at all ?

re all your wildlife ...gosh I am glad I only have to contend with the odd rabbit, wild cows and the snakes here and there !
having all those large munchers is a real challenge, I don't envy you.

cestrum I had one of your Apricot (Brugs) bloom but the snails or grasshoppers had gotten to it, sorry, hopefully the next one will be ok.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 2, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9067548

So many snails in my garden now that I'm finding it difficult to get anything done outside, because pretty much wherever I look my gaze falls on a snail. So I have to keep stopping what I'm doing to pick it off and crush it--it's really distracting! And they're all small, so harder to see, more tricky to pull off (with gloves)--and a LOT more of them!
Here's that nodding yellow abutilon that self-seeded from god-knows-where around my compost bin. Wonderful thing is that I harvested a seedpod and have tiny seedlings of it--I wonder what they will look like?
Mya, it's too bad you had to give your shrimp plants away because, once they're established, they are tough plants and in your climate would survive pretty much without watering. But not if they're in hanging baskets, of course, where they need regular watering ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 2, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9067579

Cestrum I love shrimp plants however in hanging baskets they do need constant care and I just wasn't around regularly enough to keep them looking lush and the wallabies eat them in the ground, so its a no brainer really...have you got a picture of your orange shrimp in your picture files? love to see it thanks.

Chrissy oh my, these Aglaonemas are gorgeous, you're probably familiar with them, the other name for them is chinese evergreens and they are indoor foliage plants in cooler climates...traditionally they only used to have the green with the silver fleck through them until the Thai's got hold of them and started breeding these coloured hybrids. They do wonderfully up north here and practically double in size within a few weeks. They do get flowers non descript but I'm thinking this is how they are cross pollinating and coming out with these new hybrids. It's good to stumble on a plant that does so well in my environment that the wallabies don't eat...the wallabies also leave the dieffenbachias (dumb cane) alone will try and cross pollinate these with my coloured Aglaonemas as well. I have NO idea what I am talking about so really need to research...anyway here's a link for the common aglaonemas but my coloured beauties are so much more striking than these however these are the bloodline so will try and cross pollinate when my coloured ones flower.

http://www.hartsnursery.com.au/plants/indoor_plants.html

This message was edited Apr 2, 2012 10:48 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 2, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9067640

Ok I do remember looking at some in the nurseries ...they looked very tropical so I passed by.

I found this for you
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep382

Those @#$%^& tiny little snails are eating through the calyx and leaves no matter what you do cestrum, some are so small that they look like a bug poop,good luck with your Lantern seedlings cestrum.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 2, 2012
11:41 PM

Post #9067730

chrissy100 wrote:Ok I do remember looking at some in the nurseries ...they looked very tropical so I passed by.

I found this for you
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep382

Those @#$%^& tiny little snails are eating through the calyx and leaves no matter what you do cestrum, some are so small that they look like a bug poop,good luck with your Lantern seedlings cestrum.

Chrissy that's fantastic how did you find that, I have scoured google and nix and you pull the rabbit out of the hat, with that link...you're a legend, thanks. I've printed it all off ,don't understand it at all , so will have to dissect it bit by bit ...just like those snails of Cestrums.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2012 2:46 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 3, 2012
12:58 AM

Post #9067736

How's the colour of this one...will your's be like this Mya?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9067739

Golly there sure are a lot of them.

/photos/14676023@N06/sets/72157602296385921/
Amazing.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 3, 2012
2:03 AM

Post #9067747

Di tell me that's not yours or if it is, lock it up, cause I know where you live...aren't they stunning most new hybrids are so vibrant that you wonder where they got the red/pink colour from initially as most of the aglaonemas were so plain.

Chrissy yes they are all OS but slowly filtering in the country via the tissue/flask culture system ,this is done in a big way and the people that have initially started the importing have made a grave mistake by not setting up their production up north here...it's taking them absolute ages to get them growing because they need a humid warm climate albeit in shade to thrive. I'm experimenting at present and I have them in full shade ,full sun ,filtered light,as an understorey plant and honestly they are just thriving ,new leaves galore. You know how we used to baby our brugs ,petrified because they were so rare, well never again, they swim or sink...look how little this was 2 weeks ago, it's literally doubled.

ebay sellars are now releasing some stock,this will go down in price once bunnings get there hands on some...

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1311&_nkw=aglaonema&_sacat=See-All-Categories

This message was edited Apr 3, 2012 5:09 AM

Thumbnail by MyaC

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 3, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9067786

Wow, I wouldn't go back to eBay for a while Mya, if I were you...some of the ones on there are stunning...Do you know if the colouration on your babies will increase/decrease?...Neecie, one of the sellers, mentioned that feeding and light can alter the result...isn't that the same with Bromeliads?.
I won't be tempted, I'm still trying to get my Bat Plant to flower again...
Though just imagine a garden massed with Aglaonemas...
Mya, how do you pronounce it's name is it Agla ony mas?
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 3, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9068431

Dianne it's pronounced (see below) and I still have to break it down in my head like that otherwise gibbly goop comes out.

Aglaonema
ag-luh-oh-NEE-muh

Here's a link for pronouncing Latin names...I use it all the time now...my friend who is a horticulturist uses the Latin names all the time and has no problem rolling the names off her tongue, she is is so good that she finishes my plant word with just the start of the letter I'm trying to pronounce.

http://overplanted.com/resources/latin.php
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9068610

That foliage is glorious, Dianne. Mya, you already have the perfect climate for adeniums, so go for it if you can get these new hybrids to grow. How exciting to be trailblazing this way :-)

My orange shrimp plants are just beginning to flower: there are literally only three flowers in total. These cuttings have taken ages to get established, and the seedlings are still very small--no chance of a flower on any of them for at least another year.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 3, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9068877

Thanks for the link, Mya ...I have bookmarked it.
Cestrum aren't there some magnificent Adeniums available the colours are incredible ...an eBay seller keeps sending me news of his latest seeds for sale ...I can only drool, can't grow them here...did you keep your's Mya?
I can't go tropical but I can go cottage...these Monkshood flowers are among the loveliest of them all in my eyes...I haven't been able to get a plant for ages, then last year I found one...it's flowering for the first time now.
To me they have always looked like Conquistador's helmets rather than monk's hoods...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9068915

Dianne is that this one ?
http://www.alchemy-works.com/aconitum_napellus.html
It's very pretty ...it isn't the killer one is it ?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9068921

chrissy100 wrote:
It's very pretty ...it isn't the killer one is it ?

Says she who grows "killer" brugs LOL
So that's a true blue? Not such a common colour, and rare in my garden. (I wonder if there are fewer blue flowers that grow well in the subtropics than in more temperate/colder regions? Just a thought.)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9068938

Yes, Chrissy that's the one...beautiful and deadly...what a combo...sound slightly familiar...lol
Love the blues, cestrum especially in the Salvias..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9068960

yes it sounds familiar lol, oh except they murdered people with it.
I expect it is like the Brug , common sense is all.
Er please don't eat the daisies oops I mean Monk's Hood.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9068970

Whereas brugs have historically been used for hallucinogenic purposes ... I mean, rather than for killing. By people who aren't just growing them for their beauty and fragrance, as we are.
I notice that Alistair's book is going to have a discussion of the shamanic use of brugs; I guess in a book intended for an international readership, you can't ignore this aspect of brug history.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9068975

I remember a famous grower saying Brugs put a spell on you and force you to love them :) In folklore only I am sure he believed it too. :-) I look forward to the book. We need it here in Australia.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 4, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9069110

Kenora Sunset- take a good deep look,.,.it;s brilliant

Thumbnail by g_whizz

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9069145

It's beautiful Anthony ...hot hot colour !
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 4, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9069148

g_whizz wrote:Kenora Sunset- take a good deep look,.,.it;s brilliant

That's one fantastic colour, stunning and I'm sure the camera doesn't do it justice...just WOW

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 4, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9069169

Gorgeous Anthony, that is a great colour...so now it's Liliums and Dahlias?
Where will you sleep?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 4, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9070013

Anthony, that's not a plant--it's a lava lamp LOL
Here's the last of my canangas (C. odorata) to flower (for the first time). I did smell the ylang ylang perfume last night (from the tree near my bedroom I think) but then had to shut everything up because of the smell of smoke from somewhere. Unlike the Cestrum nocturnum, this smell is never cloying. And although they look terrible at the end of each winter, they obviously aren't that tender because they recover every year. (The hot and humid growing season is the key there.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 5, 2012
1:59 AM

Post #9070401

How does everyone feel about growing dahlias ?- I know they are not very popular in the USA..I picked up 30 of these tubers for $10 late afternoon on the last day of the orchid show.,.,.since then, ive ordered 12 'pom pon' babies,,,..Look out , when i win lotto!!!'' Anthonys Flower World'',.,.,.,.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9073680

just got 2 things to show today
1: Nicotiana langsdorfii 'Cream Splash' pic 1 &2
2: Starfish Fungi Aseroe rubra found in the garden under Brugmansia 'DRC"

the fungi looks very cute but with the dirty poo all over it not so much

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 8, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9074618

Is that Nicotiana scented, Shaun? I used to grow a night-scented Nicotiana in Melb.
"Cute" is not how I'd describe the fungi LOL Does it smell the way it looks?

Here is my first ever bloom on my Dombeya burgessiae seedling . It's hard to reach behind the hedychium clump so haven't had a chance to sniff it, might try tonight. The leaves are a soft furry green reminiscent of the leaves of one of those minty scented geraniums, but larger. (And not scented.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 8, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9074795

Nothing much in the way of flowers good enough to take pics of at the moment.
Largely due to me finally chopping half the garden down.

Anthony, I love dahlias and had a wonderful show here years ago when I first grew them here on the hill.
They were so torn to pieces by the wind that I eventually gave up.
I had some lovelies, bought from the Bot. Gardens in Portland where they grow hundreds for the annual Anzac Day display.
I still have one or two around somewhere. .

You will end up with no room for your liliums if you start on dahlias. ...lol

There is always one more you havent got and must have..
hmmmmmm why does that sound familiar.??

Shaun, I had a ginormous tobacco plant here a few years ago.
It just grew from nowhwere. self seeded for a few years then all disappeared, much to my disappointment.
The scent was lovely.

Pic is one of the nerines. I have white, red, red/orange., lt pink, dk pink and about 15 new ones I just had to buy..
Well, I didnt have them, did I ??

Jean.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2012 1:41 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9074813

hi girls, My Nicotiana dose not have a fragrance, the tobacco which you had growing was it a white or pinkish red flower, if it was white it would have been N.sylvestris and if the pinkish on would have been N.tabacum both beautiful in there own right. i currently have N.suaveolens collected in wild Kew Melbourne, Langsdorfii & 'Cream Splash' N.rapunda and 1 other un-named(forgot the name should go get it from the nursery i bought it from)

Cestrum the fungi stinks vial thing but a pretty looking thing

Jean i have no need for Dahlia's i would like a few Lilium's to complement my AT, but im also thinking of Hippeastrum's they look so Wounderful and colorful but not sure about room for Sh1t loads of them AT more important hahahah
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 8, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9074834

It's a stinkhorn that you've got there, Shaun: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/poisonsinformationcentre/plants_fungi/stinkhornfungi.asp

Now I remember: I used to have them throughout the garden, sprouting in the mulch. Usually the first sign of them was that horrific stench! I haven't seen them for the last couple of years, despite last year's heavy rain, probably because I have mulched very little in that time. Disgusting things--wherever I found one I'd try and root it out using a couple of used supermarket shopping bags (to avoid any skin contact, ugh), in the same way that you'd handle dog poo, trying to grab underneath it to grub out as much of it as possible. Yuck, yuck, yuck!

Now the nicotiana, on the other hand, was the variety grown for its perfume, so think it was white or white-ish from memory ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 9, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9076003

Not a lot out, but my cannas did well this year. Having them sit in their swimming pool makes them flower beautifully.
This is Cleopatra.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 9, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9076120

Cleopatra is lovely Jean !
I haven't seen one like her before, I bet she is shivering today ...it's very cold here.

Loving the dombeya cestrum, I was just looking at one in FB,it was a white one that only blooms at Easter Time, by the way this gardener showing us his white one is the seedling Parent to Chloe, sad to say he can't remember what the cross is because it was a long time ago. So Chloe is a Hybrid Aurea but classified as An Aurea.

You can keep your stink horns ewe!
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 10, 2012
10:13 PM

Post #9077873

Jean your Cleo is beautiful...my Cannas are still flowering also, here's my Cleo and the reason I love this Canna so much is the burgundy strip colour that gets mixed in the leaves...had one that was half burgundy and half green, unfortunately I didn't take a pic but I will next time.

Thumbnail by MyaC   Thumbnail by MyaC

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 10, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9077901

Yes Mya, I love the cannas. Its lucky they go dormant in the winter so I can grow them here.
I have several with the striped leaves and one with lovely burgundy leaves.
The stripe on Cleo varies with each leaf as does the red on the blooms.
I love this little cutie. ...Little Devil. ...
I must get more of the dwarf ones.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 10, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9077917

Jean , I don't collect dwarf Cannas not that they're not beautiful but because I have to cover mine with net that's 900mm high, so I like the big Cannas that grow way above that. I'm actually putting lots in big pots, with lots of water crystals and then you can leave them without watering for about a week...I guess water crystals wouldn't be a good idea where you are cause of the cold nights but here it doesn't really get below 15C and sometimes below 10C but only for very short periods.

Thumbnail by MyaC

aussie_flower
Vic
Australia

April 13, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9081607

Chrysanthemums
Mauve and Dark yellow and Lighter yellow

Thumbnail by aussie_flower   Thumbnail by aussie_flower   Thumbnail by aussie_flower

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 13, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9081648

They are really pretty, AF...you're doing well.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 14, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #9082925

Nice photos of the Chrysanthemums, coming up to Mother's Day.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2012 6:01 PM

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 18, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9088408

Two abutilons, the Bunnings red and a seedling pink flowering for the first time after being sown 13 months ago.
Chrissy, you were right about my Bunnings abutilons! They had just generic abutilon labels, and cost only $4.95 each for a small plant laden with blooms, but they must indeed be the dwarf Bella cultivars--look at the difference between the two. The red one has a much larger, more erect flower; the pink hangs its head straight down (I'm holding it upright in the photo) and is significantly smaller. Plus, the leaves of the seedling pink are noticeably larger than the red one. The great irony is that I thought the seeds were for the dwarf Bella cultivars until I accidentally re-read the original packet and realised they were from normal-sized abutilons.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 18, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9088415

The first pic is of one of those "freckle" plants, the name of which I have long forgotten...
Lovely little things, they bush out every Spring, but I had never seen one in flower until today..
It's such a tiny thing any wonder I've missed it before...I don't think that it would be inch long, but such a deep lovely purple...sorry for the blurry pic, best I could do.

The other is of my 2 Abutilon "Bellas"...what great little plants these are, I like the soft pink, cestrum...I have found that the double pink Abutilon that we bought last year, is an indifferent flowerer here...It will be interesting to see if they get thru the winter...How are your's Jean?.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 18, 2012
10:53 PM

Post #9088419

Lovely aren't they (the Dwarfs) but watch them in the cold ...I lost mine in the extra cold Winter, it was upsetting because they were so pretty, you have to put them up high to enjoy the daces though :).
Love the Lanterns, mine need more sun. No Sun for 6 months hardly.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 18, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9088420

Your abutilons look terrific, Dianne. I have found the Bellas to be good flowerers but yours look particularly abundant.
What I call orange spider plant (Chlorophytum amaniense) has self-seeded all around the base; amazing that the snails haven't found them (yet).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 18, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9088421

The little freckle plant blooms here too ...one of my favourites ! :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 18, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #9088422

Is that orange spider plant related to the common one ? or is it something else.
polka dot plant Dianne. :)
http://faculty.ucc.edu/biology-ombrello/POW/polka-dot_plant.htm

This message was edited Apr 19, 2012 5:01 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 18, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9088423

Same genus, Chrissy. But this orange-foliaged species doesn't produce plantlets at the end of its stems.
Forgot to say that my original plant was a seedling propagated by a friend, so it pretty much comes true from seed.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2012 4:13 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 18, 2012
11:54 PM

Post #9088437

Dianne, the little Bella abutilon seedlings flower like mad.
I have only the red & yellow but the orphan I bought at Bunnings the other day is a Bella and a lovely pink.
I find they hold their heads up quite well here until they start to go off.
I am hoping to see the plants bush out nicely next spring.
My double hasnt flowered much but has s few buds on it again now.
Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 21, 2012
3:40 AM

Post #9091196

Lilium Wallichianum-grown from european seed[in Tasmania]-certainly an achievement.,.

Thumbnail by g_whizz

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 21, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9091850

Beautiful, Anthony, great effort.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 21, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9092414

Congratulations Anthony, it is lovely.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 22, 2012
2:21 AM

Post #9092438

I didnt realise how rare this was !!- the american site register wanted 4 varied shots, and a possible bulb shot if i repot it..,,.,.[As rare as its owner]
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 22, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9092442

good stuff Anthony - really nice looking lily.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 26, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9099523

look what I found in the epi house this morning.

silly things. The red one should not be out until at least Oct
The white is a nice surprise too. It may be a night bloomer and if so would be flowering now.
It has never flowered before . Label says it is Corrigata. One of those with the zig zag branches..
I have already had one othe rout that was way early so I hope this means a very good blooming season this year.
The Zygos are looking excellent this year. They flowering now at the right time and look like being really full of flowers after a poor showing last year.

pic 1... noid epi
pic 2...epi corrigata
pic 3 ...zygo..Buttrfly Sunrise
pic 3... zygo..Butterfly Magic

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 27, 2012
12:14 AM

Post #9099561

I do like that white, Jean...it's different, does it have any perfume?...I don't know much about night flowering varieties...my Epis have grown heaps since last year, so I'm expecting lots of colour this year..
Nice photos..
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 1, 2012
10:47 PM

Post #9106641

The first flower on my chorisia sapling (I'm holding it against the spiny trunk). It's not scented, but it does look like an orchid flower. I had to cut it down to photograph it so I won't get a chance to see it develop into the cottony seedpods which give it the common name of floss silk tree.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 1, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9106648

I have seen one in full flower at the Botanical gardens here in Sydney, a very beautiful tree, it was very tall, like a telegraph covered in thorns but with the stunning Orchid like hot pink blooms up the top. On another visit I saw the fluffy Kapok stuff, fascinating. Congratulations on now owning one of those exotic trees. :-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 1, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9106655

Hoping it won't become a telegraph pole too quickly ... not until I move out/on anyway!
Four years + 1 week to bloom from seed.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 1, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9106663

The good thing about being "mature" is that the trees won't eat the home before we leave this mortal coil. :)
It's a beauty !

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America