Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Agastaches and Salvias: Agastache "tuttie fruitii"

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 7, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 1, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9065284

I bought 2 of these but nothing about them. Does anyone grow these? I put them in good soil in a slightly raised bed that has good drainage. How picky are these about soil? None of my agastaches survived last summer and I am hoping these do.
C
I also put out 3 A. cana in another drier bed but that is where last years plants failed so I am worried.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2012 11:16 AM
rampbrat
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9085266

It was the summer from hell. I wouldn't judge any plant by last summer (atleast in Texas) I think as long as you have them in soil that drains well, they should be good. I had an acapulco and it did well even in less than perfect soil.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9085413

Yep, good drainage is key. They don't need a rich soil either--I find they do best if you plant them & ignore them (not too much water, and I don't bother fertilizing them). I don't find caring for them to really be any different from any other Agastache.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 16, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9085419

The soil is pretty good so that might not suit them. I actually think the heat didn't kill the agastache last year, it was overwatering to compensate for the heat! Hopefully the 5 plants I put out will make it this summer.
C
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9093850

I failed miseriably the first time I grew them but that was years ago as a newbee so I'm trying them again this year along w/ an abundance of new salvias since that's what did the best for me last year in the heat and drought.

P
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

October 25, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9314825

I have tried native and non-native species and varieties and none has lived more than a summer! I have no idea what is the issue. I tried different soil from rich to poor and from composty to sandy. I grow all sorts of salvia, including many native to TX and they all thrive. I won't be wasting more money on Agastache any time soon. They are lovely though.
C
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9314886

What time of year are you planting them? In a hot climate like yours, you will probably have better success if you plant things in the fall instead of spring (and the later in the spring you plant, the more trouble you're likely to have). My summers aren't as bad as yours, and I still have much better luck with things that I plant in the fall since they have a chance to get their roots going before they get hit by summer heat.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

October 26, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9316280

I did plant most of them in the fall.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America