Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Orchids: Awesome April Orchids

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 193, Views: 1,296
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9065379

We're coming http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244761/ More talk and photos to share for the month of April. Please join in with comments or questions. Compliments are always welcome. :)

This one is no April Fool's joke. It is clownish though. The color combo is for real. Odontonia Debutante 'Oxbow'.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9065384

Two flowers are now open on Cattleytonia Jet Set 'White Cloud'.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9065390

Views into the greenhut of Dendrobium fimbriatum. It's one of the few big orchids in my collection.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9065413

The first time I saw Dendrobium unicum was at a show. Though diminutive, it's so brilliantly colored, it attracted me from across the room. Had to have it! So I ordered one from Andy's, April '09. It bloomed in May '09. The first and second photos are of the orchid today and the last is its first time in bloom. You can see it still has lots of flowers to open. The lip looks like a bird's feather. It is semi-deciduous with blooms on the older canes. The green is mostly new growth starting.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 1, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9065582

Great start to the month! I may have to rethink Den. unicum. That is a cutie.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9065588

Thanks for the new thread, Laurel. Amazing color on your Oxbow. I think it burned a hole in my monitor. :>) I also like Dendrobium fimbriatum. Nice size and color.

The Cattleya maxima spike has opened three blooms with more to come.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9065590

My big Encyclia cordigera, var. rosea has several spikes and some are just beginning to open.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9065593

Zygo Cynosure 'Blue Birds' is sending up several new spikes and a few are beginning to open.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9065600

I couldn't resist taking another picture of Blc. Pali Polka Dot 'Nalo'. I just love it.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9065608

Dendrobium spectabile. What an incredible orchid.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9065618

My Oncidium dancing ladies plant is beginning to bloom:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9065620

This is a look at what I call the pink wall in the OC.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 1, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9065629

Beautiful, Jim! I love the "pink wall"!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9065657

Me too and, Jim, you really have a case of the blues.

Carol, Den. unicum gets the cold shoulder and no water in winter except an occasional spraying. Is your humidity ridiculously low year around? I started watering it a few weeks ago when the flower buds began to swell and new growth sprouted.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 1, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9065808

Yeah, pretty much year round. It gets very high at night while we are under the ocean influence, then it drops during the day. Normally May and June stay cool,damp, and gloomy, but who knows what will happen this year.I'm switching between the heater at night, and the fan blowing across water during the day. It works as long as I keep the door closed and we don't get any seriously bad winds.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9065994

Jim,
I have an Oncidium dancing ladies "I think" came with a tag and pic that looks just like yours...However, I may have mine seriously over potted judging by your plant. Mine has not bloomed since I got it on the Lowe's Rescue rack...maybe that is the problem.
I am having no luck finding the right shading and size with the Aluminet...either it's too big/small or the size I want doesn't come in the shading I need. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9066355

I fell in love w/Dendrobium fimbriatum and then Jim posted Dendrobium spectabile and it was double love. I so NEED 1 of each!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9066590

My Den. fimbriatum came from Fuch's down in Hoemstead. It's heat tolerant in summer and cold tolerant in winter. In fact, it must go through a cool, dry period to bloom well. They are slow growing but bloom on year old canes and re-bloom on older canes as well. Some of my blooms are on very yellow canes that would not look capable of flowering.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9066695

Go for it Jean! Life is short; don't try to live it without the things you NEED.

This is Blc Walanae Leopard 'Mai Ling' X Bc Richard Mueller which opened last night:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9066705

New blooms on Blc. Mem. Vida Lee 'Limelight'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9066709

Here is Brassavola tuberculata. It is delicate and beautiful.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9066723

Finally, Zygo Cynosure 'Blue Birds' has opened up a bit more.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9066837

Mjs, are you looking at the Aluminet in increments of 7' widths and you buy it by the foot? Here is another site I looked at http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/shade_aluminet.htm I recall their prices being the same as the first link I sent you and they have other shade options but their minimum order was slightly larger. It gets expensive when you order from companies that prefab set sizes with finished edges meant to cover travel trailers, dog kennels, etc.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9067043

MJ, the pot on my dancing ladies feels like it is going to explode. I think I best repot after this blooming cycle.

Jim
pearl
(Deb) Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9067985

Hi again; I do so love reading all the post and I'm getting so much insight on growing orchids. We just recently had an Orchid Show here in Pensacola and I had bought a Den. superbum just like what my mother had on Guam. What happened when I looked out my back window to admire my recent acquisition was two mature stem broken off and also a brand new one too. What my question is; will the canes be able to grow again or is all lost?

Thumbnail by pearl

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9068089

Hi all, got back from sailing last night and all orchids survived our vacation - Yay! My anonymous Phaius is starting to drop lower flowers but the second spike burst into bloom while I was away too. A little Phal that was all buds when I left has a magnificent plume of flowers now, too. Camera's down on battery so more pics later. Best thing about going away is coming home to see what's bloomed.

You've all been so busy, it's taken me forever to catch up from the last part of last thread. Some absolutely gorgeous flowers posted there - love the Dens and Paphs. Jim the two Psychopsis are fabulous, too.

Oh, Pearl what a shame about the damage to your new Den! Maybe a squirrel took a liking to it? Is the picture above before or after the damage?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

pearl
(Deb) Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9068382

Here's what I have left. Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by pearl

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

April 3, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9068411

The den will grow back as it still has the new canes, I m not sure if you can re root old canes?
dyzzypyxxy- wow love that Phaius better than any of them!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9068492

No harm in trying though? I'd certainly give it a shot - wrap the ends of the pieces in sphagnum and lay on a bed of moss. Keep them moist in the shade, and you never know . . you might get roots. Those are pretty vigorous plants, and it's spring!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9068518

Squirrels are bad about gnawing on those canes! The broken ones will not re-root. However, you can try laying them horizontally on a bed of perlite, sand or barely damp sphagnum. They are capable of producing keikis from the joints on the canes. I know...not the same as re-growing full sized canes capable of flowers. You'll be years away from bloom size plants if you are able to get keikis but think positive; you can share your superbum with DG friends! lol As an aside here, I want to encourage people with questions to start new threads with appropriate titles and, if there is no response, poke us here on the main thread. I don't mind being OT at all but care and culture questions and answers gets buried in a thread with a title having nothing to do with the problem. When DGers do a search or come to the forum seeking general advice they will never see this response.

I have arrived at Maypop to spend the week on the garden. No orchid photos from me.

Elaine, we grew up sailing, I on single handed. SO's family kept boats in Dinner Key (Morgan Out Land 33') and the BVI's (CSY 44'). We used to spend part of the summer with the kids mostly in the BVIs but also the American Virgins. My SO misses it but as much as I love the water I never loved sailing for more than a few days. Maybe because I was the one who had to go overboard and tow in the dingy every bad storm. lol

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9068693

Great info on the Den problem though, Laurel! Pearl, try some anti-terrorism stuff on your squirrels. I've had some success with scent deterrents like pepper or mothballs (although I couldn't stand the smell) to keep the little beggars away from my mangoes. Spraying them with the hose is good, too. Doesn't hurt them but scares the bleeps out of them.

We were sailing on a Moorings Beneteau 50 out of Tortola for the week. Cruised 4 days then raced the last three out of Nanny Cay. Beautiful wind and weather, easy boat to sail, no worries, lots of fun. I learned as a kid, too. Raced Lasers for many years while we lived in Utah and now we race here all the time.
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9069787

Wow, all this talk about sailing . . . sounds beautiful.

Elaine, that anonymous Phaius is beautiful! I can't remember seeing so great a contrast between petals and lip. Very striking!

Maypop, I am going to be gardening too this weekend, working on my mom's garden in Pennsylvania turning the soil. Not looking forward to it even with a rototiller, it's such a patch of weeds. This year much more mulch will be used! Will be planting peas (edible and flowering), lettuce, chard, beets, and leeks.

Jim, beautiful flower shots. Especially love the Blc Walanae Leopard 'Mai Ling' X Bc Richard Mueller and Blc. Mem. Vida Lee 'Limelight' (I almost bought one of those recently). So exotically pretty. BTW, I'm really enjoying my Epidendrum cordigera. The flowers seem to last and last, and the fragrance in the sun is like vanilla perfume. I'm going to enjoy growing it to larger proportions!

Will have some photos to post soon.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9070054

I'm going back a few posts to let Jim know how beautiful his flowers look. Evidently there's been a lot of shopping going on without me. I'm checking your shoes, Jim, the next time we get together.

Elaine, the Moorings, Fleet Indigo and CSY were the three charter yacht anchorages in Tortola when we had our boat down there. The boat was in charter for all but June and July when the family had the boat. I think the Moorings is the only one left.

I thought I had no orchids to post this week since we are putting in our veggie gardens at Maypop but a young Calanthe is almost open. I'll be here for several days so hopefully there will be a photo or two.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9070725

I have found an excellent fire retardant that I pre-apply to my shoes thus eliminating the constant problem of smoldering pants cuffs. Actually, most of those orchids are oldies but goodies. That reminds me, Elaine, are we still on for the 12th?

Currently, I am hot on the trail of another hard to find palm. I talked to a grower in Bartow, FL., yesterday about an Allagoptera arenaria (Seashore Palm) and will head there tomorrow cash in hand. I've been looking for this one for over a year.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9070785

Looking forward to a foray to Fenders Floral next Fursday, Jim. btw. Their ad for the sale says to bring your own boxes. I have lots. I'm walking around my garden saying "I wonder if Jim would like a start of this, or one of those".

Laurel? You definitely need to join us if the planting is done by then! Help me keep Jim from lighting my shoes on fire? Lots of flights from Atlanta right into SRQ. I'll pick you up. Bring a big suitcase.

My list is getting longer and llonnggerr and I'm probably buying for PtP, too. (we may yet need to take the Tundra!)

Here's my little Phal that I've had for nearly 3 years. It's 3rd bloom cycle anyway. This is the one I showed a while back with the purple leaf reverses and dark leaves with silvery markings. It's lived its whole life outdoors, too! A survivor.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9070918

Jim, how great to collect palms! One time vacationing in florida I picked up a book on palms and was amazed at the variety. Some incredibly beautiful ones. Wonderful hypnotic patterning to the growth. I think I'd collect them as well if I was down South!

Elaine, I love the "wild" look, if I can call it that, of your phal. Must be more than a bit of schilleriana in it, no? Very nice.

At the SEPOS show I picked up a replacement for a plant I had when I was a teenager and really loved: Slc. Jewelbox 'Sheherazade.' I had bought it years ago from Jones & Scully and it used to bloom for me all the time just under lights in the bathroom. Wonderful plant that succumbed only when I went away to college and didn't take it with me. Here are a couple of photos with different lighting. This time I'm hoping to grow it to specimen proportions!

Speaking of Jones & Scully, I recently got my hands on a copy of their old 70's "Recommendations" catalogue, and have been having a ball looking at the old hybrids and remembering dreaming over the plants in that same catalogue when I was much (much) younger.

Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter   Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter

PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9070928

Here's another shot of the NOID red phal/dorit. Just love the color on this. Can't quite capture the fluorescent purple on the end of the lip . . .

Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter

PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9070930

And another shot of the whole plant. I don't grow in this type of decorative container, but it seems to work well with this plant.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9070941

Very good pic of the red Phal, PtP. The Slc Jewelbox has good color and form. I wish you luck in growing the new one.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9070950

Wow, the colors on those are spectacular! I can see the bright purple on the lip of that red Phal just fine! Amazing.

I don't know the name of that white one sadly. The tag faded right out on me so it is another anon. I like to let the flower stems trail 'au natural' rather than staking them up. This way the flowers know which way to face when they open. (well, sort of)
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9070954

Haha . . . yes, I usually let my phals bloom 'au natural' as well. This was actually the first year I tried staking them, mainly to get them to fit in my windows better!
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9070955

Thanks, Jim!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9071055

I like what Doritaenopsis adds to Phals.. The hybrids are always so nice. A little harder to grow, IMO.

Elaine, it takes several months to get the garden in and is close to a full time job. We not only grow much of what we eat but we also trial seed for other growers. We started in March with clearing, tilling and planting peas, cilantro, parsley, arugaula and hardy perennials while still tending overwintered veggies. I've got one head of cabbage left from fall planting and forty young plants to go in by Sunday. There are all kinds of red lettuces and buttercrunches. The fava beans overwinter too. Next week we'll plant out broccoli, broccoli rabe, kale and chard. The first of eight or ten varieties of heirloom beans and southern peas will get planted. I've grown out over two hundred heirloom/open pollinated tomatoes and over one hundred heirloom/open pollinated peppers and eggplants. They will go out from late April to early May. Okra, summeer and winter squashes will fit in somewhere. I transplanted Japanese Soyu cukes today. Several other varieties will get planted over the next few months. Did I mention tomatillos? You'll have to make sure Jim takes his medication before the shopping trip otherwise there will be no stopping him.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9071183

Yikes! Ok, I'm tired just from reading all that. Here I thought keeping my seven Earth Boxes going was hard work.

I sure hope you have lots of good help with all that wonderful bounty you're growing.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9071195

My help is an old hippie who needs a new hip. Still, he's working hard. I'll keep him.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 6, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9072224

I don't blame you one bit. I like that old one hipped hippie too. :>)

I'm back from the long trip to Bartow and am now the proud owner of an Allagoptera arenaria, aka Seashore Palm. That makes 30 different kinds of palms I have growing on the property. I also picked up another Cycad. I know it is a Zamia but need to search some to nail down which one. My guess is it is fairly rare.

Happy Easter everyone.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9072262

Happy Easter and tonight at sundown is the beginning of Passover. We are having a mountain seder...matzo ball soup with chicken and veggies, leg of lamb that daughter slaughtered and butchered, garden cabbage and the ritual foods on the seder plate.

Congrats on your new palm, Jim. I keep thinking palm is the first syllable in palmetto bug. Another reason I don't miss FL. Your place must be looking like Jurassic Park what with the palms and cycads.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9072422

[quote="MaypopLaurel"]My help is an old hippie who needs a new hip. .[/quote]

Kinda sounds like me...
SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9072521

Hippies are great helpers!!
SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9073977

I'm not the biggest phan of phals, but they sure do look like Easter. Here's the phamily. Hope everybody has a wonderful day...

Thumbnail by SCBegoniaGuy

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9074021

Now that's a happy phamily, Scott.

I have been gardening for hours this morning. Most of the cabbages are in. We are returning to Atlanta today just to check on things and then back for more planting. This reminds me to go check the status on that Calanthe discolor.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9074029

I agree they are phussy, and imho whoever decided they should be the "beginner" orchid was a mean person. But . . when all's said and done, awfully pretty, very long lasting flowers.

Scott that's a lovely picture.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2012 8:50 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 8, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9074347

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday. Den. Yellow Song Canary and Sea Marian

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 8, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9074646

Wow! Your Canary sure looks alot better than mine! I got two little spikes, and a bunch of kikis.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

April 9, 2012
12:42 AM

Post #9074954

wow nice Phals guys and love that yellow Den.!
Heres a better look at a tiny Den i have flowering, the flowers are about 3cm wide and scented.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2012 3:42 AM

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9075342

I like that yellow Den. too, Ted.

Bree, does your Den have a name? It's lovely.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 9, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9075619

Bree, I love that little Den!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9075858

Scott, nice phamily photo.

Very nice Dens.

As for me, my voice is returning slowly. Four days in a row with several songs per service has done it in.

Here is an update on my Encyclia cordigera, var. rosea:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9075860

My Cattleya maxima now has 6 huge flowers open on a single spike with one bud remaining. What a majestic plant!

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9075865

Finally, a first time bloomer for me is Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler'.

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

April 9, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9075905

No my Den doesn't have a name Laurel. It was given to me by a grower when i bought another orchid from them, think they had grown it from seed but it didnt have a tag.
Maxima is excellent Jim, it would be up there with my few favourites like purp.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9075939

I agree, Bree. I posted a list of my top 8 must have orchids somewhere and the C. maxima and L. purpurata were both among them. Some orchids are great enough to rise above the bumbling of us amateur care givers.

Jim
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9076052

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend!

Wow, some great photos posted. Scott, your phals are particularly "Eastery." Very nice! Ted, I love Yellow Song 'Canary.' Just beautiful. And Bree, your den. is very sweet looking. Jim, maxima is breathtaking. And your encyclia . . . my little plant with the 5 or so flowers . . . every once in awhile those flowers release an amazing vanilla-y scent. I can't imagine how your multitude of flowers must scent the air. I've some so close to purchasing a Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler' several times. The color combination is superb.

Maypop, I was going to go on about my tilling and gardening efforts over the weekend, but hearing of all of your endeavors greatly humbles me. Do you post about your gardening on another thread? Would love to read about your experiences.

Hope to have some photos to post soon!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9076079

Jim I've been eyeballing that Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler', It's got color and form I really like.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9076177

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist posting a pic of my jacaranda tree in full bloom. It's a traffic stopper.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9076278

Jim, your Jacaranda tree is beautiful. Thanks for posting the photo!

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

April 10, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9077364

Jim they have a Jacaranda festival here in Grafton, theres streets with them growing along both sides and when there all out in full bloom they have the festival, its every year.

Thumbnail by breeindy

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9077442

I'm all over that Encyclia, Jim. Three spikes makes for a plethora of flowers! How hardy is the Jacaranda?

Bree, what a beautiful picture.

Pinetop, my most recent posted garden photos are on the Georgia forum where I started this thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217421/ I started a thread here on Orchids several years ago titled "What's In Your Garden" that went on for a number of installments. It's there if you go back over old threads. I didn't go back to review but there are surely photos of both houses and the gardens of other DG members past and present.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9078523

Jacarandas are good in zones 9b and above.

Tomorrow I'm leaving early for Sarasota where I hook up with Elaine for a discount orchid hunt. I've cleaned the turbo fuel filters on my buying shoes and everything worked well on a test run. I'm taking extra meds just in case.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9078648

I'm just hoping I can keep up with Jim. An extra shot of espresso in my latte tomorrow, for sure!

I called today to ask if they take credit cards and they do - arghh. So much for restraint! We are taking the big truck, too. Whee ha!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2012

Post #9078735

Look what I found while misting the orchids this afternoon. This is Enc. atropene, var. alba 'Jim' X Bepi. Bradly's Judy 'Spots'.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9078822

Have fun and come home with lots of photogenic beauties. With our temperatures flying up and down there's been no time for photos. Either I'm rushing around opening up the greenhut during sunny days or sealing it up and setting the heaters up for cold nights. I'm hauling tray after tray of veggie seedlings out every morning and back in at night too. The greenhut is too big (or maybe there are to many orchids?) to accommodate veggies.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 11, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9079037

LOL! Laurel, I took all my 'chids that could hang out to get a good soaking and washing last night. It didn't get below 52. Well, the big storm pretty much passed us by and they didn't even get a decent watering. Tonight, it's back to the heater as temps are dropping again. SIGH... I still have to fill my water features. I know this sounds silly to y'all, but I'm just so sick of this rollercoaster ride. My plumerias have inflos, but are dropping the leaves they held on to all winter, my bulbs are about finished, my lilies are comming up (one is in full bloom), I have one over-zealous daylily scaping, but I can't plant my tomatos yet. I hope "MOTHER" is done punishing us for our sins against her...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9079848

Carol, we have trees that have bloomed and leafed out and trees that are still bare! Our giant old redbud that used to overhang the deck and be covered in spring flowers is dead. I have been very good to MOTHER. She should treat me kindly.

Here is the young Calanthe at Maypop. It didn't open by the time we left. Looks pretty in the shade garden. Hopefully it will still be in bloom when we return.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9079857

Posadaara Orchidum 'Magician'. This intergeneric Tolumnia hybrid has been in bloom for several months. I don't think the RHS recognizes this grex.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9079861

Miami neighbor gave me a few pbs of her NOID Oncidium three years ago. It's grown very rapidly and is blooming for the first time. Got lots of hairy roots.I can see this one as getting too big for my space.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9079862

This Paph. is taking it's sweet time to open.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9079863

Dendrobium unicum is in full bloom. That's Procyclea Little Nuggets in the background.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9079867

Procyclea Little Nuggets 'Mendenhall' HCC/AOS has eight spikes. I'll try to round them up when it is in more full bloom.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9079886

A favorite Tolumnia Memoria Ralph Yagi 'Palola' AM/AOS. SEveral months ago this plant had two spikes full of flowers mysteriously abort. Maybe that was when the greenhut got so cold. Now there is this back bloom of a few sweet flowers.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9079889

Ascocentrum curvifolium keeps on going.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9079891

Den. Aussie's Chip seedling has three flowers.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9079894

Maxillaria variabilis blooms here and there since last fall. This was a bare root piece that was mounted at that time.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9079895

Laurel, absolutely love that 'Magician' and the Little Nuggets is a beautiful color, too.

Well, Jim and I were disappointed at the closing sale down at Fender's, I'm afraid. We arrived about an hour after they opened, and the selection was severely depleted by then, prices were not great, and there was a huge lineup to check out. Sadly, we only bought two plants each.

We consoled ourselves with lunch and a tour of the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, so hopefully Jim's trip was worthwhile anyway. He is on the way home now so I get to post the pictures I took of him at Selby.

1. in the greenhouse but not an orchid, I think it was a type of Thunbergia
2. Jim didn't really need to get that close to smell the wonderful fragrance of this Den, I could smell it from where I was.
3. We think you need one of these little Bulbos, Laurel . . .
4. Nearly as big, bulbo with flowers although they were almost over, so didn't smell too rotten

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9079908

They had starts of Maxillaria for sale at Selby, too, and was I ever tempted especially since I didn't blow the budget at the other sale. They sure do smell like coconut, don't they! I may go back and get one.

This was a most magnificent Paph, with leaves over 18in. long and the flower spike was 3ft. if it was an inch.

Lovely color on this little Den. Fredericksianum

This message was edited Apr 12, 2012 6:01 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012

Post #9079918

Great pics, Elaine. If you sent "little" Bulbos like those I'd be hysterical. Glad you had a nice day despite slim pickins'. It's so much fun to be with Jim. We laugh and laugh. Who knew someone from a state starting in "I" had such a sense of humor. :>) As for the dearth of bargains, I've found that's often the case at greenhouse closings. The orchids go to another vendor who adds them to his stock, sells them at shows and takes a percentage. With all the spring shows there's no shortage of ways to sell orchids for retail or close to it. The Redland show is only four weeks away.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9080019

Mm hmm, you see the twinkle in Jim's eye in that pic of the huge Bulbo? He was saying "let's tell Laurel the truck's on the way". As for me, I think Jim has lots of room for that plant.

I think you are on the money as to where all the 'good stuff' went from Fenders. One of the docents in the greenhouse at Selby said she was also at the sale this morning, and had arrived before 9am when they were supposed to open. She says there were people already shopping, and that she thought even then all that was left was, in her words "junk".

These two pics are of one of dozens of Laelias growing - and blooming! -on a branch of a big oak tree at Selby. Pretty amazing that they survive the winters up there considering the tree is exposed to north winds off the bay. There are a bunch of gorgeous broms up there, too.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9080131

Well, I made it home in good order and before the rush hour set in. Elaine was right about the big close-out sale. 95 percent of the sale stock were Catt crosses in 4 or 5 inch plastic pots. All 5 inch plants were marked $35.00, on sale for only $17.50. Very few were in bloom or were even of bloom size. The same plant in bloom would cost $5.00 at Apopka, regular priice. Even worse was the crowd as the single greenhouse was packed wall to wall and folks were grabbing up plants like lunatics. It reminded me of a Black Friday sale. I didn't even fire up my buying shoes. I did come away with two plants:
1. Blc. Chia Lin 'New City' X Pot. Susan Fender 'Cinnamon'
2. Lc. Royal Emperor X Blc. Chia Lin

I'm not sure what the flowers will look like but judging from the parents, I can't wait.

Elaine saved the day by inviting me to Selby Gardens. It's a wonderful place for a stroll with lots of palms and other interesting plants. Isn't that Bulbo something? I kept thinking how impressive it would look in the middle of the green hut.

Bottom line is it was a good day and we had lots of fun. Elaine gave me the tour of her 'jungle' and made me a mean turkey sandwich. I think we need to all meet in Apopka the next time Laurel and Steve come down this way.

Jim
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 12, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9080168

Laurel, The Calanthe is a sweety. Native is always good and I love the stone marker. Hope you can get a pic of it fully open. Nice Onc., but it does look like it could become a monster. In my limited experience the Onc. species seem to be a lot tougher than the hybrids. This is the first winter mine have had any protection from the elements, ndd they bloomed, while my intergenerics have barely survived. Love those Tolumnias. Hm, annual spring garden show comming up, and all the local vendors will be there. I might have to look into those.

Elaine, sorry you didn't get to see Jims buying shoes catch fire, but looks like you had a good day anyhow. That Den. you showed looks like "jonessii' (ruppianum). They are very fragrant, but don't last long...3weeks from first flower to clipping . I agree that those huge Bulbos would be perfect at Jim's place.LOL!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9081083

Here is an update on the Cattleya maxima, now with all seven blooms open. The fragrance is wonderful.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9081089

A last look at Blc. Mem. Vida Lee 'Limelight'. I like the side shot.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9081091

There are now three nice flowers on Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9081094

Tiny Enc. fowliei just opened its first flower ever. The blooms are about a third of an inch across.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9081097

Laurel, I forgot to mention, Dendrobium unicum is a knockout, absolutely gorgeous.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9082563

Thanks, Jim. And the Catt. maxima with the wonderful smell...are you good at painting a description of the scent? Ursula had a special talent for that. I try but suck.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9082655

No chance, Laurel. I'm an either a it smells or doesn't type guy. By the way, did that big Bulbo. arrive at your place yet?

Elaine, I ran into another grower from Sarasota today at the USF spring plant sale. It is Meke Aloha Orchids, owned by Paul and Mary Storm. The address is 5780 Augusta Dr. and the phone is 941-923-5023. They may be worth a visit.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9082674

I forsee dangerous liasons.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9082771

Sounds like fun, thanks Jim. I'll look them up. Google maps has them practically within walking distance - I am in BIG trouble! As you saw, my Wish List never gets any shorter . . .
Franco24
Hammonton, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9082836

Looking very good everyone! My orchid collection has grown past 150 and i just got about 100 of them outdoors today. Let's hope the night temps stay above 45 from now on so I don't have to move them all back in (took 5 hours to get them all out and in place) :P

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9083179

Did you build the shade house you were talking about for your orchids, Franco?

You have a plan for the fall when you're going to college, right? Donating plants to the local botanical garden or something?

Which school will you be going to?
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9083422

Meke Aloha Orchids seems to specialize in Schomburgkias. I bought three from them.

1. Bc Jacqui which is a primary hybrid of Cattleya granulosa x Brassavola nodosa
2. Mcp grandiflora, aka Myrmecophila tibicinis ( syn Schomburgkia tibicinis)
3. C. bicolor 'Lines' AM/AOS X L. undulata (syn Schomburgkia undulata). I can't find it so assume it is not registered.

The new 'chids are of nice size but need repotting. The prices were reasonable.

Jim

Franco24
Hammonton, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9083643

[quote="dyzzypyxxy"]Did you build the shade house you were talking about for your orchids, Franco?

You have a plan for the fall when you're going to college, right? Donating plants to the local botanical garden or something?

Which school will you be going to? [/quote]

I plan to build the shadehouse this fall and use it for next year (had some personal family issues lately that put a delay on everything). Until then I bought 100 pot hangers and have everything hanging in trees in my backyard. Looks a bit like a jungle! haha :P

I'm going to the Richard Stockton College of NJ for marine bio or horticulture (haven't decided yet). But the campus is only 45 minutes from where I live so I plan to keep everything here at home (C'mon giving away my orchids?! You're CRAZY!) I can easily commute back and forth to care for everything.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

April 16, 2012
12:18 AM

Post #9084194

we'd love to see a photo of your hanging orchids Franco24.
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9084875

Me too!

I'll be hanging mine on the garden fence with partial afternoon shade from a star magnolia tree as soon as the night temperatures are trustworthy.

Laurel, thanks for the link to your gardening thread. I am enjoying reading it. My favorite quote is: "I like knowing my food from the time it was a seed." That's wonderful! I will continue to enjoy reading this thread. We share a knack for growing rocks in addition to plants, btw. . .

I am so sorry the Fender's sale was a bust. What a bummer. Jim, the prices you mentioned certainly don't sound like a break at all. Glad Marie Selby saved the day. I mentioned to Elaine I haven't been there in 20 years, but I still remember enjoying it, and still have some of my orchid photos from that trip!

Finally got some film developed (still take some photos the "old fashioned way") and found this photo of Chia Lin 'Shinsu #1' lip from February.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9084894

Glad you are enjoying the thread. I've just opened up two threads for our annual RU. This will be the third year. Feel free to come on down (or up). The photo of Chia Lin should be made into cards. Gorgeous!
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9084912

Thanks, Maypop! And I will check out the threads!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9084938

I can almost smell that beautiful Chia Lin from here.

I awoke this morning to four new bloomers. The first is Vanda Boonchoo X V. Tubtim Velvet. I'm glad I took it down for pictures as I found some nasty fungus on a couple of the leaves and I removed them post haste.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9084945

Blc. Golden Tang opened new flowers.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9084953

The Tolumnias that I mounted on the lizzard log are blooming.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9084958

Finally, B. nodosa X C. netrasiri waxy has opened.

Jim

GreenEyedGuru
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9087507

Miltoniopsis Bert Field "Leash". First open blossom.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 8:47 AM

Thumbnail by GreenEyedGuru

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9087571

So beautiful!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2012

Post #9087835

Very nice Miltonia, Green Eyes. I love them but seem to kill them so I gave up.

Bllras Peggy Ruth Carpenter 'Morniing Joy' has made her spring appearance. I've had her for many years and she needs repotting.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9087843

I have long been a fan of Dendrobium anosmum and here she is right on schedule. This is one of those "multiple blooms on dead canes" type plants.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9087847

Enc. fowliei now has three flowers and is putting out a new leaf.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9087908

Jim, all are just beautiful, esp. the Den with such graceful flowers. Love the color and markings on that Miltonia, too GreenEye! I'm going to satisfy myself with looking at your Miltonias, though. If Jim can't grow them it's highly doubtful I'd be able to either. We did see a beauty in the greenhouse at Selby last week, though. They were keeping the temp cool-ish I thought, so maybe that's what is good for Miltonias?

All I've got are repeat pictures, but I hate to post without a picture, so here's the last gasp of my Nun's orchids, and my two little Phals phaithphully blooming away! Couple of my brassavolas are in spike, and one of my Catts has two big fat buds, though.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9087949

Elaine, don't worry, your blooms will come. I'm not sure it is the temps that does in my Miltonias as much as the rain during our wet summers. They will not take wet feet and when it rains every day for 3 or 4 months they die. Perhaps I could try again now that I have the OC and can control the water much better. By the way, I'm thinking of putting 50% shade Aluminet over the OC roof. It should help with the summer heat problem.

Jim
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 18, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9088218

Green Eye Guru, I love the color on youe Milt.!

Jim, let me know how that works for you. So far, nothing has burned under my dual core plexi, but it hasn't gotten overly hot here yet. I've been thinking about either adding shade cloth, or removing the roof and just using shade cloth. Are your fans not keeping up with the heat? I did remove the eave windows today, and that is working for now, as we usually have a good breeze.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 18, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9088231

Been really busy lately, but have been keeping up. All these wonderful pix. I just love it. Jim, the Dendrobium anosmum is great and Green Eyed, love the Miltonia. Looks like I will have Sodiro's Dracula blooming soon and Masdevallia Mary Staal is spiking again.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9088289

Ohh, I love that Miltonia also, but I think I'll admire them from afar also. That Dendrobium anosmum is one I'd be very tempted by tho...Do they get large ?
I finally got my Aluminet up, and it's made a huge difference and I only did the south eve of the greenhouse since the other side is under a huge Maple tree. I got a deal on a piece that was just the right side...Glad of that cause that stuff's expensive !!

Enc. Green Hornet that I got recently came in spike and is fully opened up now. I'm loving this guy !!

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9088298

I'm limited to one finger typing on my phone but want to say how lovely all the pics are.

Carol, be careful of the heat. Once you overheart for a few hours it is too late. If you have 70s and sun midday you could hit 100 degrees without shade cloth. It would be hotter near the roof.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9088652

Green hornet is just lovely! Mine is between blooms right now, but it lasted over 2 months while it was blooming!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9088721

Green Hornet is a great orchid.

I'm sitting at Maypop with a few hundred veggie seedlings and days of rain. After weeks of nothing we've had four inches in thirty six hours. Dang!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9088750

Laurel I'd take that 4 in. in 36 hours. It still would not get us up to where we are supposed to be. Last report showed our area as being 7 1/2 in. below average...and my horse pastures look it...Supposed to get some starting today thru Sunday...I'm hoping.
I can't get over the difference the Aluminet is making...not only is it staying about 8 degree's cooler,and when you walk in the greenhouse you don't feel the heat radiating down from the ceiling...temp feels much more even throughout the whole gh. I should have done this a long time ago.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9089184

I have a couple in bloom, finally.
Phaiocalanthe 'Ursula' has finally opened as it's going dormant, so the plant is ugly, but the flowers are pretty and Sarcochillus 'Fitzhart'

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9089290

We received some light rain today and a promise of more throughout the weekend. We certainly need it!

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9089291

The above message posted twice for some reason. Strange.

Jim

This message was edited Apr 19, 2012 5:17 PM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9090513

Carol, nice blooms. I especially like the Sarc..

I am running in and out to get things planted between drizzles. So much to do and the weather is not cooperating.
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9090521

Jim, I love Golden Tang! Makes me thirsty for it! I've been a fan, from afar, of Dendrobium anosmum. Nice to see your blooms.

Elaine, I have a NOID phal that is similar to the spotted one in your photo. I bought it to work and sat it on my desk to enjoy closer up (had NOTHING to do with that fact that I've run out of room at home . . . ) and the comments it drew were incredible. Many offices here in NYC have the big white phals at the reception area, or in common locations, but no one ever seems to see the spotted or multicolored ones. Mine practically caused a sensation, and it only had three flowers on it.

Not being able to grow miltonias seems to be a common thing. I had a beautiful yellow one once. It, and every other one I've tried since, always seem to develop "accordion leaves" which I'm told mean the plant isn't getting enough moisture. Water them more, and the roots start to rot. Such a shame. They are so beautiful and most have a wonderful scent.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9091545

Hi everyone! St. Pete Orchid Farm was having their open house this morning so I headed across the bridge from Tampa to take a look. He had four greenhouses full of orchids - I'm so jealous! I took a few shots of plants I just thought were pretty; I have names for the ones I bought, though. Here's a few random plants he had...

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9091549

Here's a couple more...

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9091552

Here's a picture of one of his greenhouses just to give you an idea.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9091568

Here's the ones I bought. I'm an orchid newbie but I can manage not to kill cattleyas and vandaceous orchids. So I try to stick to those varieties (for now, right?). LOL! St Pete Orchid Farm specializes in encyclias; their website is http://www.stpeteorchidfarm.com/ if you're looking for a new supplier. Ok, the first one I bought is called Lc. Marcia Foster "Bob Sanker". The picture is the sample plant; I bought a baby (much cheaper that way)! The second one I really like and it's called Blc. "Solar Flare". It reminds me of a daffodil.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9091584

And reading from the tag, another one I bought is: Ren. Philippinensis x Ascda. Krailerk.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9091585

The last one is Vas. Red Yen x Ascda. Peggy Foo (which is a little lighter in real life). I hope you all enjoyed the pictures! I usually hang out in the butterfly gardening forum, but I think I'm going to find myself over here more and more! Orchids sure are addicting!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 21, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9091667

Enjoyed the photos, and you got some nice plants. I especially like that last one!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9091692

Welcome, mellie and thanks for the lovely pictures.

That pink and yellow with the fringed lip in your first post is just gorgeous!

Elaine
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 21, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9091704

Excellent pix. Thanks for the show
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9091804

Welcome to the Orchid forum, Melanie. You are so right about orchids becoming addicting and you have found a group of folks that share your fate. I see we are neighbors as I live just off of Gunn Highway in Odessa. Elaine lives down in Sarasota so we have a nice group here in the Tampa area. I think I have been over to the St. Pete Orchid Farm to shop Encyclias. The one you posted in your third photo is beautiful. I hope you post often so we can see your new babies grow and prosper.

Now I'm off to help with the big fund raising gala for the Shepherd Center in Tarpon Springs. Wouldn't you know it, I'm the bartender. :>)

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

April 21, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9092388

Beautiful orchids Melanie. Welome and we sure hope you stick around and share your orchid photos and chat with us.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9092496

Love that Green Hornet - fits in with my my "odd looking Orchid" fetish.

Drove down from MD with my back seat full of my Orchids and my Cockatail in the front seat yesterday. We got some "looks" at the rest stops. All but 1 orchid fit and I'll get her when I go back to MD to get my car in ~1 month.

Have to get the van unloaded & returned to the airport by 1PM. And that is ALL I'm doing today.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9092519

Welcome to Florida, Jean.

Jim
Franco24
Hammonton, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9092881

They say April's showers bring may flowers ... but April's sun also brings sunburn.

I feel horrible for what happened to my prized Den. spectabile. This just goes to show that the slightest amount of sun after a winter indoors can lead to horrific sunburn. What do all of you guys think? I know with some TLC it will be just fine, but is it worth all the sulking in it's near future and lack of blooms - when i can replace this one with a similar sized plant for about 40$ shipped? The source from where i'd get another one is extremely limited on quantity ... so it's kind of a now or never sort of deal. Maybe I'll just buy another and have two?

I'm really torn. What would all of you guys do? Do I spy the start of new growth eyes already?

Thumbnail by Franco24   Thumbnail by Franco24

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9092882

Jim,
I live off Livingston Ave so we are pretty close! I have an aunt that lives in Odessa and I love to head that way to hike over in Brooker Creek.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and I'm glad you liked the pictures. We had a lot of rain last night but everyone made it through just fine. Last time I bought orchids the flowers fell off the next time it rained. I have a feeling the flowers had been open longer than the vendor implied. Grrr!

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9092926

Franco, I would stick with your sun burnt spectabile and try to nurse it along. Be sure to monitor the burned spots so fungus does not set in. It should recover bynext year.

Melanie, I have a friend who lives just off of Livingston and she is constantly fighting wild boars. Her husband built a tree stand and spends half the night up there with a bow and arrow. They sure can do a lot of damage to a garden. I'm enjoying this rain as is my garden. The orchids are all in the OC well protected.

Psychopsis Mendenhall alba 'Yellow Butterfly' has opened another flower.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9092934

C. Lueddemanniana, var. alba X self is just opening a pair of flowers.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9092938

Encyclia cordigera, var. rosea is fully open. It has a wonderful fragrance.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9092941

Vanda Boonchoo X V. Tubtim Velvet is also fully open.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9092955

I couldn't resist posting another couple of photos of Dendrobium anosmum. I love this orchid.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9093009

This is Phal. Salu Rose 'Yellow' X Phal. Golden Sun. It is a huge plant that is walking out of its pot. My plan is to mount it after this blooming cycle.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9093057

Oooh, I love vandas and the color on that one is so unique! I also like the "Yellow Butterfly"; it even has antennae!

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9093151

Franco, what a shame, but don't ditch that wonderful plant for a few spots of sunburn! With your great care and this summer's growth I'd bet you won't even notice the burnt areas by next fall. Just put it behind some other plants for its recovery period so you won't have to look at it. A couple of my Catts got a touch of sunburn in December when we went on vacation but are coming on strong now. With all the new leaves coming on this guy, I'm going to cut off the burnt leaves in good conscience pretty soon. People who show orchids remove any leaf with a boo boo and their plants do fine.

Jim, remember that big Spathoglottis we saw outside the greenhouse at Selby? Here's the one I bought in Apopka, looks very similar, yes?

We got some rain, too, but not nearly the storms and downpour that went by to the north of us. Still rain barrels are all full - Yay!

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9093210

Elaine, that's a great color for a Spathoglottis and a bit hard to find as well. Congrats!

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9097246

Trudging right along, here are better pictures of C. lueddemanniana, var. alba X self. Great fragrance as well.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9097250

Epidendrum radicans is blooming, all ten feet of her.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9097254

Another visit with B. nodosa X C. netrasiri waxy.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9097312

Beautiful, Jim. That Epi looks a lot like mine, too!

Here's my first flower open on Enc. alata x 'Early Bird'. Been waiting 2 months for this spike to do its thing.

Can't get a good shot of this spotty Phal, as its flowers are facing every which way. I think I'll have to mount it to get it to behave. If it ever stops blooming, that is! It started in early March, and still has one more bud to open.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9097413

Forgive my absence. I am a thread deserter for sure. Come April and May we are putting in the gardens. We've spent weeks tractoring out dead trees, fixing fences, prepping soil and planting veggies. It will take another month before I can sit back a bit. This year is more demanding than usual since we are hosting a country weekend celebration for family and friends following DD's city wedding. It's nice to see everyone's orchids when I have the chance to peek in.

Welcome, Mellie. I can honestly and objectively state you've stumbled into the nicest, most talented, smartest group of people on DG. There are also the suave and debonair among us. Ahem.

Franco, I know how sickening it is to have a perfect plant burn or freeze. It will be fine. Spend your money on another plant.

Jim, I have neglected my Epidendrums because they got so unwieldy. I might be able to rescue keikis and start again. Beautiful radicans.

Elaine, your Encyclias is an especially pretty one.

Now back to planting tomatoes.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9097567

Melanie, I don't know if you know about the Tampa Orchid Club but it meets at the Northdale Rec Center on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 10:00 AM. They always have an informative speaker and orchids for show,sale or swap. There is also a guy selling orchid supplies. I have enjoyed the meetings, especially because it is so close. The Tampa Bay Orchid Society meets clear down on Bay Shore and I don't want to drive that far. The dues are like $25.00 a year and it is well worth it in educational benefits alone. Also, there is always a wonderful pot luck lunch. Here is their website: http://www.tampaorchidclub.info/

Jim
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 25, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9097854

Love the Enc. alata x 'Early Bird', Elaine. I'll be looking for it this weekend.

There are two Spring Garden shows this weekend. The annual one at the Huntington BGs got moved up and landed right on top of the same type show in Orange county. That's fifty miles apart. Also our neighborhood garage sale is this Saturday. About 30 garage sales right within 2-3 miles of here. Lynda can smell a garage sale. And of course our annual Rotary gala, which is always a blast as it is open to everyone and provides clothing to needy kids for school, is SATURDAY.

The show in Orange County will have Andy as a vendor, so I think it's up early for the garage sales, over to see Andy and party in the evening.. I will need Sunday to rest.

I got a little excited this morning when I saw 2 spikes from Masdevallia civilis or Masdevallia Ibanez-Behar 'Speckles'. I bought these from Santa Barbara Estate Orchids at the show up there last year as small bare root specimens. And I say or because the foliage is similar on both and the tags got mixed when returning home. What is interesting is that the other plant is slowly growing in a bark only pot, while the one blooming is larger now and I put it in a piece of cork with two other small Iridifolius x Zygostatus Alleniana and various Tillandsia. They get about the same light though the cork get's more waterings albeit spays
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 25, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9097871

Masdevallia Mary Staal in bloom. If I leave it outside it will stay a deep orange. If I bring it inside it will fade to a good looking yellow and the blooms will last longer

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9097964

Ooo, that is gorgeous, Ted. Take it inside so it will last, and you can show us the color change in photos.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9098637

Masdies are so enchanting. That's a beauty, Ted.

I have returned to Atlanta after more than a week away. There are several new bloomers in the greenhut. Time to dig out the camera.
atisch
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9098850

Hello All and congratulations on all the beautiful orchid pics as usual. I've been pretty much out of commission trying to recover from another back surgery. I haven't acquired any new orchids or any plants at all for that matter for well over a year. Losing many plants due to inability to care for them, but the Miltonia pictured here ('Breathless') has been a welcome surprise--Not only blooming under adversity, but flowers lasting 3 months. Flowers from red in sunlight to almost purple under "daylight" fluorescent bulbs.

Allan

Thumbnail by atisch   Thumbnail by atisch

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9098995

I do so admire Miltonias and that one is a beauty. Congratulations Allen, and welcome back. I hope your recovery is speedy and complete.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9099381

Jim, I joined the Tampa Bay Orchid Society since it's easier for me to meet in the evenings. I went to my first meeting tonight. It was lots of fun with many beautiful orchids. Saturday, I'll be going to the Green Thumb Festival in St. Pete where I'll hopefully acquire a few more orchids of my own!

Allan, I lost a lot of my bromeliad collection when I got sick with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. If nothing else, you learn which plants thrive on neglect. Hope you do better soon!

Melanie

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9101216

Ok, this isn't one of mine, but I was at the Green Thumb Festival in St. Pete today and I saw this beautiful vanda. I walked over to it and it had a sticker that said "Rare Species" and a price tag of $250! Trust me to find the most expensive thing in the place. I took a picture since that's the only way I'll get to enjoy it, LOL! And now you can, too. This is V. Goodwin Thai Sunset.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9101237

That's a beauty, Melanie. Did you get the name of the grower/dealer? I'll bet if you visited his 'home' operation, the price would be a lot less for that plant!

I've got a new one opened today, too! Blc. Mem. Hans Graf x Blc. Edisto. Funny, no fragrance as yet, but last time it bloomed it smelled like spice cookies. Maybe it's an evening fragrance.

Elaine

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9101288

Ok, I admit I'm a newbie. I was searching the internet for that Thai Sunset orchid and one site listed it as being a cross between V. Rasri Gold x V. Dr. Anek. Well, I bought a plant labeled V. Rasri Gold x V. Dr. Anek but it didn't say anything about a Thai Sunset. I really don't understand how all these orchids get named anyhow. Was Thai Sunset a special one that came from the cross? Either way, I'm happy with the plant I did buy. Check out the picture and tell me if I bought the same plant or if they are slightly different.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9101357

Melanie, Laurel can answer your question better than I but I know the crosses take time to get registered and receive a name. I also know that there are lots of variations out there. Thus if you cross A with B you may get C. The next time you cross A with B you could get C variation 2, or you could get D. The trick is to get a C or a D consistently which requires a division or a clone.

Anyway, what you bought has not yet been registered and named. The V. Goodwin Thai Sunset has been registered and named. Chances are you have the little sister which must pass some tests before being named. Both are very nice so enjoy your new Vanda.

Elaine, we may have to haul Melanie to Apopka to see Vanda heaven. Nice Blc cross.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9101362

Looks like it could be the same to me, but I'm no expert either.
Franco24
Hammonton, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9101417

After almost two weeks of a cold snap, looks like all the orchids will be moving outside again on monday or tuesday! I'll be sure to post some pics of the jungle!
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9101468

Jim, I think your explanation was very good!
Melanie, Think of them as siblings. You can have many siblings from the same parents, and though they may all have some family features, they won't all look exactly alike. In this case the breeder picked one out of many seedlings and named it Thai Sunset. The rest will either have different names, or not be named at all...in theory. I have one, bought from the breeder that I found three photos of on the internet. Of those three, one was the breeders photo. The others don't look anything close to the breeders photo, nor does mine. Even with tissue culture, they can vary. It's always best to see what you're buying, in person.
The one you got is close, and very pretty!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9101480

Good to hear you got everyone indoors in time, Franco. I was wondering if all your 'chids were ok.

It even got cool down here for a few days.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9101514

Ok, that makes sense. I just joined my local orchid society and went to my first meeting last Thursday. I learned a lot! But you can tell some of these people are very, very into it and are on some kind of scientific level I will never get to. I'm just glad I got a pretty plant and didn't have to pay $250 for it!

Melanie
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9101852

Haha! You'll be amazed at how much of that scientific stuff you'll absorb by accident.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9102336

You explained it, Jim. Anyone can cross the same two orchids but then the hybrid seedling needs to be registered with the RHS (Royal Horticultural Society). The registrant owns the equivalent of a patent. Sometimes old crosses go out of favor or have carrier diseases (become virused) or genetic problems and the cross is re-done.

I'm off to Maypop this afternoon but will try to grab some photos for later posting.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9102921

Thanks everyone! Here's one of the plants I bought at the festival this weekend. It's tag says it's Blc. Seto Rainbow "Fantasy" Splash Petal. It might be my favorite, but it's hard to choose.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9102960

It's a pretty one, Melanie, and I'll bet it has a nice fragrance as well.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9102967

Yeah, driving home with all the orchids in the truck smelled soooo good!

Melanie

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9104032

Well, I was checking on my orchids today and found the squirrels ate all the buds on one of my vandas and chewed through the stem of one of my cattleyas. Has anyone found a way to keep the squirrels away from their orchids? Dad's going to be building me a greenhouse (we priced the materials today at Home Depot) so I imagine that will help - or has anyone had critters raid their greenhouse? It's so aggravating to see the buds come out and then lose them to a furry rat. Here's a pic of the cattleya he ate through; at least I got a picture (sniff, sniff). It's Rlc. Hawaiian Wizard.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9104062

There are several ways to control the squirrel problem but apart from a cage or greenhouse, all involve the death of the squirrel.:>)

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9104108

Oh, what a shame, Melanie! That catt flower will most likely last a long time if you put it in a vase in the house, though.

I haven't had problems with squirrels getting at my orchids in the yard, at least not yet. But I have a pool cage, where the ones in flower come so that I can ogle and smell them. They sit in state on the table in there until the flowers are over. When my 'Chia Lin' was in bloom it was so fragrant I think it attracted a whole family of raccoons into the pool cage one night just because it does smell like something to eat. (there is a cat door into the cage)

I also have a bird feeder. While lots of birds eat the seeds, the squirrels eat 'way more than all the birds put together. So, I'm concluding that my squirrels are so well fed most of the time they're not interested in the orchids.

HOWEVER when my mangoes are ripening I do wage war on the squirrels. They nibble a mango stem, let the fruit drop to the ground, then eat about a teaspoon of fruit and leave the rest to rot. When they come back they don't finish the ones on the ground, they get a new one! So, I have two fake owls that are silvery reflective stuff, I hang them from poles on either side of the tree. Also strips of grocery bags tied to bamboo stakes around the tree make a sound like a snake when the wind moves them. And I use a product called 'Critter Ridder' that is a peppery spray scent deterrent. Available at HD or Lowe's. Wear a mask or scarf over your nose and wear glasses when you're spraying the stuff, and don't spray when it's windy. It really makes you sneeze!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9104113

Jim,
My brother has already contributed to their population decline. The county kind of frowns on shooting within so many feet of a home, but that doesn't stop us out here in Lutz, LOL! We're lucky enough to have some Red-Shouldered Hawks in our neighborhood, too. Maybe once the greenhouse is built it will protect the orchids.

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9104148

Melanie, don't forget to factor in the cost of some shade cloth for your greenhouse, so it won't cook your orchids during the summer. Jim was saying he's putting some on his greenhouse this year, too. Did you get your Aluminet yet, Jim?

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9104180

The greenhouse will be mostly covered by a large oak tree so that should help, too. I guess it's more of a partial sun greenhouse. Most of my orchids hang from some smaller oaks in the backyard and get dappled sunlight. They haven't died and bloom a few times a year (the vandas anyway) so I assume they like it. My cattleyas are mostly on the fence between me and my neighbor's house. They face east and are also shaded by trees. I only have so much space to work with so the greenhouse has to be somewhat under the tree. Hopefully, that will be all right.

I have a question about vandas. When they're done blooming, can I just cut the flower spike off?

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9104273

Melanie, yes, you can trim off the spent Vanda flower spikes. Good for your brother. They bake up nicely in cream of mushroom soup.

The Aluminet is more to reduce heat than give shade. The Polycarb roof already eliminates UV rays. The contractor should be here any minute to measure the roof and place the order. All of the local growers use it and love it. The big fans I have do a good job but make lots of noise.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9104400

I love the Aluminet but you still need fans running continuously. The more thermal mass, like a stone floor or pool, the harder it will be to swing temperatures downward. I have misters timed to go off for ten minutes at the time when the sun is hottest on the roof (1 p.m.). The fan disperses the mist and the floor, which is covered in outdoor carpet, acts like a swamp cooler. This reduces the temperature fast. I can go from 92 to 78 degrees in those fifteen minutes. Last year, without the Aluminet and three of the four walls removed AND the fan, it was over 115 degrees when the burnout disaster happened. The greenhut is slightly recessed between a small solarium on one side and the bkfst room in our kitchen on the other. Fortunately, by the time the day is at it's hottest (late afternoon) the solarium blocks the direct sun. The Aluminet helps but is not a sure fire solution. A swamp cooler is really appropriate for a large hot space. I don't know a big greenhouse without one. I have seen some attractive ones decoyed into water features.
Franco24
Hammonton, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9104821

Woohoo! The temps finally a little more loving toward the orchids. I got about 80-100 of my 'chids outside today. Let's pray that i don't have to move them all back in again until October (and for some spikes and blooms too!). Here are some pics! As promised.

Thumbnail by Franco24   Thumbnail by Franco24   Thumbnail by Franco24   Thumbnail by Franco24   Thumbnail by Franco24

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9105057

Those Orchids look so happy hanging from the tree. I had to remove my large Oak last week (it had bore worms). So now just have 1 tree from which I might be able to hang a few. But, after hearing of the squirrel attacks, am reluctant to put many out there.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9105118

Squirrels are terrible. They love to gnaw on orchid pbs. Come fall they dig out the potting medium to bury nuts. I have often told the story of my thirty five year old Catt. aurantiaca that has just now grown big enough to produce its first sheath. Aside from natural disasters over the years that set it back to seedling size multiple times, the squirrels have spent many a summer chewing away. It went missing from spring until late fall one year. Came home and there was nothing but an empty pot. We found what was left of the plant in a pile of fall leaves under the deck.

With good intentions, I took new photos before leaving Atlanta for Maypop. Unfortunately I think we forgot the card reader. Sigh. Hopefully someone will give us a May start.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9105599

I will but I'm currently on phone duty at the Extension office and then head down to a county library to give a talk on cycads. I should be back home around 9:00 PM. Long day for a retired guy.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9105914

I just ordered the Aluminet. It will be 25 X 34 feet with grommets every 2 feet around the edge. They say I should have it in about ten days.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9106302

It's time for a new thread. Please join us at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255626/ .

Jim

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America