Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Soil and Composting: Burpee Soil Test Kit from Lowe's

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 4, Views: 125
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9065717

I bought a Burpee Soil Test Kit at Lowe's today for $3.97. I've had my soil tested several times in the past by our University Extension office, but it's been about 4 years since I had that done. My test results came back fine last time, and they were much more detailed of course, but the University doesn't test for nitrogen. Since I think my garden soil is OK but it's been awhile since I had it tested, I thought I'd try this basic kit.

For the money, I've got to say I think the kit is very useful. There are four tests included, pH (soil acidity), Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium (potash). Best I can tell by matching colors with the chart included, my vegetable garden soil results are:

pH: Neutral, maybe just a bit on the alkaline side.
Nitrogen: Low to Medium
Phosphorus: High
Potassium: Medium

This matches what I'd expect. My pH has always tested about 6.8 with the University, but that could have easily changed to 7.1 or so. I'm always adding a lot of organics (sawdust from my shop lately, shredded leaves last fall), so it may have cost some nitrogen to break those down. I'll add some high-nitrogen fertilizer or manure. I'm a big believer in high-phosphorus fertilizers, and since I've been using those for years I'm not surprised the phosphorus tests high - good. Same thing with potassium, it looks like it's fine.

It's good to have this kind of approximate pH and macronutrient verification from a basic test kit, and for the price I think this one's a good deal.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9067194

Thanks! Time to hit Lowes and see what else they have on sale.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9080395

Thanks for the review!
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9093843

Ditto the Thanks for the review! Sounds like a good price for the convenience of doing the testing at home…Thinking that I'm headed to Lowe's today!!!
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

May 6, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9113431

I am going to Lowes Long Beach to see if they have one that I might purchase!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America