-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9065717

I bought a Burpee Soil Test Kit at Lowe's today for $3.97. I've had my soil tested several times in the past by our University Extension office, but it's been about 4 years since I had that done. My test results came back fine last time, and they were much more detailed of course, but the University doesn't test for nitrogen. Since I think my garden soil is OK but it's been awhile since I had it tested, I thought I'd try this basic kit.

For the money, I've got to say I think the kit is very useful. There are four tests included, pH (soil acidity), Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium (potash). Best I can tell by matching colors with the chart included, my vegetable garden soil results are:

pH: Neutral, maybe just a bit on the alkaline side.
Nitrogen: Low to Medium
Phosphorus: High
Potassium: Medium

This matches what I'd expect. My pH has always tested about 6.8 with the University, but that could have easily changed to 7.1 or so. I'm always adding a lot of organics (sawdust from my shop lately, shredded leaves last fall), so it may have cost some nitrogen to break those down. I'll add some high-nitrogen fertilizer or manure. I'm a big believer in high-phosphorus fertilizers, and since I've been using those for years I'm not surprised the phosphorus tests high - good. Same thing with potassium, it looks like it's fine.

It's good to have this kind of approximate pH and macronutrient verification from a basic test kit, and for the price I think this one's a good deal.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9067194

Thanks! Time to hit Lowes and see what else they have on sale.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9080395

Thanks for the review!
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9093843

Ditto the Thanks for the review! Sounds like a good price for the convenience of doing the testing at home…Thinking that I'm headed to Lowe's today!!!
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

May 6, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9113431

I am going to Lowes Long Beach to see if they have one that I might purchase!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America