Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: yellowing of tiny new leaves at top of newly planted tomato

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

April 1, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9065724

I have just purchased a rather large new tomato plant for a pot. Now, I have discovered that the new leaves coming out at the top are a pale yellow. What is wrong? Disease, nutrient problem, transplant problem or what? Help!!

Shirley D
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9066168

Did you say you have already transplanted it to new soil? New pot? Hard to tell from what you wrote.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

April 2, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9066871

Yes, just put it in a pot.

ShirleyD
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2012
11:03 PM

Post #9069039

[quote="shirleyd"]Yes, just put it in a pot.[/quote]
With what? Real soil? Artificial "planting" or "potting" soil or media? Did you add fertilizer? What kind and how much? Did you use a soluble or liquid fertilizer or "plant booster"?

What you're describing is typical of a micronutrient deficiency, but nutrient deficiency symptoms can be caused by many different things, e.g. root damage or disease, overwatering, mineral toxicity, extreme high or low pH, changes in light exposure - all sorts of things that can keep a plant from taking up or utilizing the nutrients it needs.

-Rich
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 4, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9069683

I had a bunch of transplants once that almost got frosted and they turned yellow in the center for about a week. They didn't like cold weather at all.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9071354

I have had that happen when I first transplant a plant or they have a growth spurt. They turn yellow at the very center at the top. It has happened so many times I dont think much of it anymore. I think the nutrients just havent had a chance to catch up because the roots are still adjusting. I would watch it for a week or so. Post again sooner if it gets worse or doesnt go away. I have a feeling it will resolve itself. Please let us know if it does get better.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

April 6, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9071570

Thanks so much for all your advice. And, would you believe, patience helps. It is already looking better----------and, I have added a slight dose of general fertilizer.

Again, thanks,
Shirley D
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9072119

Great! I just think the roots need to adjust so they can do their job.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

April 7, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9072751

And, now, I want to know the secret to growing bell peppers!! Some one suggested holding back on nitrogen. But, my problem is no peppers to speak of. The plants look fine------in full sun and in soil that grows tomatoes, roses, etc. Many people in my area (central Mississippi) complain of the same problem. There has to be an answer!!

Shirley D.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9073106

What are you doing up so early or late? Lol. When you say no peppers do you mean the plant blooms and doesn't set fruit or do you just get a few peppers? Can you explain it a little more?

From what you posted great looking plants no fruit I would think the problem is too much Nitrogen also. I grow sweet non bells because I get much better yields of great looking fruit. Marconis are my favorite, but there are many kinds to choose from. Also, I have found that pepper plants can take a little shade.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

April 8, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9073799

Thanks for suggestions on pepper plant----------will hold back on the nitrogen--------and will plant in pots that I can move and give plants a little shade.

I am reduced to planting in pots and getting up early due to a weird disease. Ever heard of Giant Cell Arteritis? All the arteries in your skull are infected------------and the worst possible consequence of this is sudden blindness/ and or stroke. The only treatment is immediate and heavy doses of prednisone ( and as many of you know, that brings on its on problems---but is preferable to blindness). The only symptom I had was about one minute of double vision------went to my eye doctor---------he recognized the problem and before I got home that day I had had 2 blood tests and an MRI. The disease can linger for 1 1/2 to 2 years--------as well as decreasing doses of predinosone. The reason I go into this detail is to warn others in case they have any problem with their eyes----go see your eye doctor immediately!!!!!!

Shirley D.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9074050

Wow, thanks for the info, I'm glad you were so vigilant and didn't just pass it off as nothing.

Keep me posted on your pepper plants. Good luck

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America