Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Central Midwest Gardening: April 2012-Too early for the heat!!

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 123, Views: 861
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9066018

New thread for April!!!!

I'll have new pics to post later this week. So this one has to stand empty. Sorry!! LOL
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9066141

I'm here. Sorry for posting on the other link.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9066178

Hi Crit, I've always had good luck with Coneflowers from the seed packets. I put mine in a pot of dirt and cover them up about a half inch or so, not much, it probably isn't the right depth but it has always worked for me. I've never bought a Coneflower plant. In my experience Coneflowers will droop after only one day without water, I don't think they could go extended periods of drought in a pot or container of dirt. I'd like to someday have an area about 10 feet square just in Purple Coneflowers, definitely in the sun so lots of flowers!
Thanks, you reminded me that a friend gave me tons of Purple Coneflower seeds last Sept. (very late Sept.) I'll be curious to see if they sprout, if they do I'll send you some with the ROS.
WitchHazel is still available at the state nursery, 25 seedlings for $8, maybe somebody in Joplin would have them sent to their house and you could reimburse and get them there, (it's MO. residents only). I'd be glad to have them sent here but it wouldn't be such a good deal for you after shipping from here to there. - http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all
scroll about 2/3's down to see Ozark WitchHazel, ordering only available until April 15th.
Will
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9066767

Thanks Will !!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9067006

Your welcome! Oh, I forgot to say about the Coneflowers that I never expected them to sprout the year that I planted them. They always went the Winter outside in a pot for the cold spell first.
For ex. if I got them in July of this year I wouldn't expect them to come up until the next Spring if sowed outside or in a pot outside. I don't know if Ehow is an authority on seeds but they seem to tell stuff pretty good it seems - http://www.ehow.com/way_5672610_do-flower-seeds-need-stratfied_.html Actually, what I have done before, if you buy the seed packet early enuff, say May, then you can put them in the fridge for 90 days or so and they will likely sprout in the Fall. I usually just sprinkle seeds in a pot outside (and lightly cover up with dirt), and wait till the next Spring myself though.
That reminds me that the Coneflower seeds that I think about now were in the garage over the Winter. I thought they'd get enuff cold in there but the Winter was so mild that I'm not sure now, there's no green in those 2 pots. It stays a little warmer in the garage and it may have been too warm. Although, I haven't really scrutinized the pots for them yet. I may get Coneflower seeds from her and try it again this year, she has Purple Coneflowers everywhere.

That ROS is greening up more every day.
I hope it doesn't do like I've seen before on a few cuttings, where they get little leaves for a while and make you think they are gonna be fine then the leaves dry up and fall off and the cutting is dead!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9067526

I looked closer in the pots that I suspected that the Purple Coneflower seeds might have been in and this one out of about 12 pots had some little seedlings coming up in them. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it's the Coneflower seedlings, the label in there even says Cone, I am cautiously optimistic! I've been fooled by little seedlings before, it could just be weeds, but if they turn into little pointed leaves like Purple Coneflowers, that will be a good sign indeed! I put down some more weed fabric today! I am getting closer to the big mulch day or days!

I Googled Echinacea Purpurea seedlings and they appear to resemble the ones in this photo, so I'm hopeful! - http://www.google.com/imgres?q=echinacea purpurea seedlings&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1C1CHHJ_enUS400US401&biw=1920&bih=947&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=wSxdUWBscRGMAM:&imgrefurl=http://torontogardening.blogspot.com/2009/03/echinacea-purpurea-seedlings-looking.html&docid=uGCxbyb0C-4lFM&imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y_vbHJBaX3c/SdLDqpdKvSI/AAAAAAAAAi4/I4Lgq1EiH-M/s400/Echinacea%2Bpurpurea.JPG&w=400&h=300&ei=wFd6T6CpHaWL0QGb2Jz2Aw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=187&vpy=57&dur=696&hovh=179&hovw=239&tx=141&ty=97&sig=118209040957246920607&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=176&start=0&ndsp=49&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

If they get more conical and veined in the next few days then I'll be pretty sure!

This message was edited Apr 2, 2012 8:55 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click an image for an enlarged view.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9067788

54/76/47
Some sun this morning with increasing clouds this afternoon. Warm. W winds shifting to N at 10 to 20 mph.

Will,
The lilac looks great! Very sturdy, It should grow up in no time. The rest of the plants look good too.
Smiling, that's a grackle. Not quite as big as a crow, and we usually never see them drink.
I would have been in the tree before your Dad, LOL! Did you take them home, or have the recorder with you? Neat story either way :o)
Wow, a brand new wagon?
Oh, a Red Flier! What a shame to have to get rid of it. It really looks good from the top.
You know, the red phlox would look really good in the fish too. Both colors would pop.
Put netting over the blueberry bushes. No sense in letting the birds have any!
Nice witch hazel and the bulbs and daylily look great! Next ten photos all look good!

Happ,
Drooling over your nursery shopping! I see pictures of new plants this year from everyone.

Pepper,
I'll bet the suprise trip was so much fun. Especially since you already knew you were going, LOL!!

Will,
I put down black mulch too, so don't feel bad. It was nice while the color was new :o)

Crit,
I think you could have just thrown the coneflower seeds in the bed and they would have started.

Thanks for the new thread Pepper,

With the exceptional weather I've been outside all day. My arms are tan and even tho I had sunscreen on yesterday, my shoulders got a bit red. Good news is, all the dandelions gone from some of my flower beds and I've mowed the whole yard :o)

Saturday night we heard a HUGE boom at 8:30 pm. We went outside to look around. Two neighbors were out also. One a first responder. The next day we found out a house in the country, in another town exploded, a little over 15 miles away as the crow flies. No one was home and rumors are it was a meth house.

It rattled our windows! I was looking here, to make sure everyone's house was ok, and there was lightning way north of us, but I sat outside for a half hour and it never made a sound. We thought it might have been a stray bolt, but I knew it wasn't.

The rhubarb is close to being ready to pick. I got a tub out of the freezer and made a rhubarb custard pie yesterday. We each had a piece and then a second. Half a pie gone in minutes, LOL!

My small intermediate iris are starting to bloom. I can't believe the weather we are having!!

I took this the other day after we got back from a jeep ride :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9068269

Awww.. a little bunny rabbit at Easter time! You must not have feral cats everywhere! Well, I took back four dead and dying houseplants to Walmart and got nearly twenty dollars.
They even beat me out of a dollar at customer service but the lady was done so I just let it go. I may have said something like, "just give it to the Walton heirs", I'm terrible I know!

I got a bag of 25 Liatris Spicata bulbs. I wanted something to plant in this big rectangular planter that I built nearly 2 years ago. 25 bulbs was just right, some of the other plants that I was looking at only had 3 bulbs I was like "no way, that isn't going to work". I almost bought a bag of 20 Gladiolus bulbs, but I preferred all that solid purple in Liatris and perennial to the Glads multi-colors and I wasn't sure annual or perennial.

Yeah, it's a new wagon, years ago the elderly, disabled lady was really into Radio Flyer stuff. I remember even for Christmas like 14 years ago I got her all these miniature Radio Flyer wagons and bicycles and stuff, even a Radio Flyer wheelbarrow. Just give me an empty toilet bowl to put flowers in and I'm good. I set that old wagon out by the curb for our bulky item pick up and even before they came a guy down the street stopped (I was out in the yard) and asked if he could have it, he recycles metal. He does that for a living I think, I always see his truck full on the street. He agreed it was done too. I told him it doesn't even roll anymore!
It was about to fall apart, the axles were barely hanging on from all the rust and rot. I was having to pick it up even last year to mow and I'm too old to be picking up wagons full of dirt.

I've seen from just driving around some really big Lilac bushes. What have I done?! I'm gonna have to dig one up and give them more room. Here is my 'James Macfarlane' pink Lilac. -
The other regular Lilac will probably be the monster. It will prolly be the only one that I'll need to move. It's the one without a label on it.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9068433

At 2:33 am I was awake in my bed and watch TV that I felt earthquake shook my bed so I check the USGS sure it pretty weak around here and here's the link you see where that at:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/usc0008uyu.php

See the blue square box that where earthquake hit:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/32.42.-100.-90.php

There is 800 response report:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/c0008uyu/us/index.html

Oh I just hate earthquake again like I was living in Southern California!

This message was edited Apr 3, 2012 4:12 PM
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9068774

Ack! This is Missouri, I don't want no steenking earthquake! I read the article, glad it was only 4.0 on the Richter Scale.

I got the 25 Liatris all planted up in the big planter. After I cut the corners off with my trusty circular saw. I hadn't planned to do that until the last minute, I finally concluded that it looked too goofy the way it was with the ends being about 2 inches lower than the front and back, so I cut the front and back corners off! Here is my progression of photos and the Liatris. I hope the Liatris turns out nice, my housemate here says she hasn't heard of it, and she didn't like the picture of them on the package! I think she's just being contrare, they are plenty nice!
Here is a random shot of the waterpond, (as it started to sprinkle heavily)!

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9068778

I spoke too soon about the "demise" of the Banana 'Basjoo's, they are coming up to my delight. Well, 2 of the 6 have came up. Even one of the 2 Hibiscus is back and sprouting from the base, which I guess is better than not sprouting at all. Here is the Rose-Of-Sharon cutting that I'm sending to Crit. I finally unloaded the 8 buckets of rocks out of my car. This is the second year for my Lily Trees 'Purple Prince' from Brecks. This year, I have 5 sprouts from those 3 bulbs I got! In this photo you can see where one bulb was planted yet 2 Lily Trees came up! The far one is out of the photo but it has 2 as well. That one in the middle has only one so far. Well, that's the play by play! I'm trying to ease up on all the exclamation points! It's not easy you know!
Will

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9069099

51/67/38
Partly cloudy. Winds ENE at 15 to 25 mph.

Will,
Oh but we do and one especailly is good at catching squirrels and rabbits. It's spring tho and every yard in town has a rabbit, LOL!
Good, you got most of your money back! I'm sure they aren't happy with their pay rate, compared to the Walton heirs :o)
I love liatris and a large grouping of them look best. You'll love them in the planter!
Put the lilacs where you need privacy and just let them spread out. You can dig up the suckers if it moves too far into your yard or close to the neighbor's property line. Or, just trim these right after they bloom to keep them small.

Wow Rusty,
I would hate earthquakes too. At least it was weak, but what if the next one is a lot bigger?

Will,
Wait till she sees how bright the liatris are. Spicata has a lot more rosy red than the lavender tall ones. I can't wait to see them growing in the box! Nice pictures of the boxes and nice dirt, LOL!
Hibiscus usualy take a while to show in the spring. The warm weather triggered it sooner. Give the rest time to show. No reason why they won't.

We're cooling down this week and are predicted to have 31 Thursday night. I hope the ground stays warmer than that so things aren't nipped. My little lilliput iris are starting to bloom.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9069608

BOY ... am I GLAD that I copy long threads I'm typing on occasionally!!!!! This one disappeared on me. So trying it again.

Will, you make me tired just reading about all you are doing! :-)

Yes, the ROS start seems to be doing well. You can give a gentle tug on it and if it resists, there are roots down there. If it pulls up at all, not much there. I do that with my brugmansis starts to see if they are rooting.

Been in the 80's and one day up to 90 for the last several weeks. Low and behold, a cold front has come through and we are on ly 60* right now. Suppose to get to 71* but even that will be cool with the overcast skies. I was all ready to work on my new iris bed too. DRAT! I've gone outside several times thinking "I can do this or that", then change my mind. Guess I could put on some sweats instead of shorts and go ahead and work. Really got spoiled by the warmness. We are at our normal temps now.

Will, I was looking at the ws'ing jugs, and have some life in several of the coneflower jugs. I put them out first, so they did get some of the cold weather to jump start them. Guess I was just too impatient. Another gardener said they put whatever jugs don't come up to the side of their house and check them once in a while. Even leave them until the next spring and have had the seeds come up then.

billyp, I don't have the bed ready where I am going to put the coneflowers, so can't do the broadcast thing with the seeds.

These are some of my beds after I got them weeded. The first one I doubled in size this year from what it use to be. That is my dog Bowser in the pic. :-) I now have the little white metal fence up around it and some seeds planted. I am going to add some plants to it also.

The 2nd one is one of my lily beds. This runs along between the house and the sidewalk.

The 3rd pic is of one of my hosta beds. It also has 3 rose bushes and some ajuga in it.

The 4th is a pic of beds along the front of the house. I'm going to dig the daffodils in those beds as it is on the east and they don't bloom well. I have put hosta and caladiums in them. May add some shade flower mix to it.

The last one is of another hosta bed that is at the end of the long beds.

I have another big lily and daylily bed in the back that I just got cleaned up but no pics. No pics either of where I am going to make another flower bed in the back.

I have some red poppies blooming. They are seeds I left in the tub last year after they bloomed, then I plant summer flowers in it so I get double duty out of it. I don't think any of the other poppies I planted in Feb-March are going to make it because it got so hot. :-(

Well, that's about all for now.

Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9070116

I have so much to do outside it's not funny. I'm having a cookout next weekend and no time to weed or plant. I worked a couple hours today helping unload plants at work and now I'm working Sunday because we are shorthanded for our Zarda BBQ event. I'm gonna get crossed eyed here pretty quick!! LOL
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9070240

Man these Water Irises grow fast.

Here is a BIG bucket of what could be Bamboo from all over a friend's backyard, if it decides it's going to live in this big planter. There is no way I'm planting it in the ground though!
The Bamboo is a little green so my fingers are crossed! To show how little that Soapwort was last year, here it is in June 2011 left of the yellow pot, not that small now. And the other one in the top left corner, thanks Pepper!
Will

edited to say Water Irises, I had Waterlilies..lol

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 10:19 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9070241

Thanks billyp. Tonite I put that planter box in the border. Hopefully in a couple weeks or so it'll spring the Liatris forth! Haha, it's okay dirt, you know how it is you put the so-so good soil on the bottom up to nearly the top then put on about 2 inches of potting soil to fool everybody! I've trademarked that so sorry you can't do it! I uploaded 3 photos of the Rose bush so there is more than 1 blurry one!

I'm not sure but could these Rose buds be flowers in wait?! Unfortunately the buds are the most blurry things in the photos. The Rose happ gave me might be getting ready to bloom!

You've been busy yourself there, Crit! Nice landscaping, I see you do rocks too Crit! I figured out what ws'ing is, it is Winter Sowing jugs! Cool Crit, you might have the sought after Purple Coneflowers! Thanks, I may try that with the ROS, altho with my luck I may kill it!

How about this little plant of Soapwort in the fish, it just gets nicer everyday!

I have alot to do outside myself, even tho I've done alot lately, there is alot more to do, I hope the cops don't come and give us a $100 fine before I can finish!

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 9:10 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9070443

46/62/30
Mostly cloudy skies this morning will become partly cloudy this afternoon. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph.

Crit,
I never do a thread without notepad. Even if I accidently lose it, I can usually hit undo and get it back :o)
I hear you. If the temps drop I'm ready to put a stocking cap back on. I almost can't bear the cold wind in my face.
I hear you on not having a bed ready too.
Nice beds! Love Bowser too!
Smiling over the picture you took and managed to NOT get your reflection :o)
Yep, you have great beds around the house!

Pepper,
There are days like that. The good thing is, when the weeds get big and you pull them, it really looks like you've done something. I've weeded, but the small flower foliage still looks like weeds.

Will,
I was watching Victory Garden yesterday and they mentioned your Bamboo. It is greening up :o)
Can't wait to see your pond in bloom this year!
The liatris will grow in wet ditches, so keep it watered off and on, even tho they say it's drought tolerent I've found it really isn't. Same with the sedum and coneflowers. They like a little water too.
Smiling. I think the cops crossed you off their list :o)
The planter box fits in there perfectly! I hope all the bulbs grow.
Everything looks good!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9071252

Hello I was wondering if shortleaf about the roomate convo had heard of blazing stars. Same thing ,the Liatris, they sell those in the dollar store here. I'm working on getting the white ones to grow.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9071340

I've always heard grubworms were bad for gardens, and I think Will said something about stepping on them, but I never knew WHY they were bad. Can you tell me?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9071447

This planter box has made quite a transition, and it only took a little under 2 years, see the photos..haha!

Grubworms eat on plants' roots. - http://www.ehow.com/info_8267274_grubs-bad-garden.html I named a cat Grubworm!

Thanks billyp, I hope that pond blooms this year. Really, I'm just happy if a plant has green leaves, flowers is a bonus! If the Waterlily decides to bloom this year in the pond, I am buying a lottery ticket! Oh, I water alright! In the Summer I water everyday, I think that's been my not so secret to keeping stuff alive that I get, because I have had hundreds of pots to the neighbor's and code enforcement's dismay. Oh, the Bamboo in the red/orange planter pot is an unknown Bamboo, my other Bamboos (Phyllostachys Bissetii) are coming along back there in the kitty litter buckets. I don't think their too happy about the pots they are in, but they are adapting, they seem to be developing pretty good bamboo shoots so far. I intend to trim them to only 4 to 6 feet high or so, so the roots don't suffer too much from being in such a small space. You can see them in the kitty litter buckets here, I dug a hole for them, they don't stick up much.
I hope the cops look elsewhere for trashy yards in this city, they are here for sure! This yard just has an unorganized and messy look while it's under my long term construction.
It hasn't looked very good, that's for sure, but I have big landscaping plans for it.
I used to use Notepad but the posts always came out narrow and long looking.

Hi juhur7, welcome, They are called Blazing Stars too?! I saw another name besides that one in reading about them on the web - "Gay feather"! - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/86/#b
After I got purple I saw there is an Alba or white Liatris. I plan to kinda change up the plants and/or flowers in the planter box. I'd love to have the white Liatris in there someday, maybe white then purple then white or something like that. I still like the purple, I'm going to give it a go first. Walmart had a bag of 25 Liatris bulbs for $5.38. Home Depot had not such a good deal on them, I saw them there yesterday there - 20 roots for $6.98, I'll hafta go check out Dollar General's selection.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9071480

The Liatris are about 2.50 for 15 or 18 bulbs not so bad after all.Am only begining to get more from seeds,look better in bunches don't they?That about price was about the dollar store.
Giant bamboo just getting started,your nightmare, my garden stakes and trellises.

Thumbnail by juhur7

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9071557

33/62/36/
Plentiful sunshine. Winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph.

Juhur,
I had a white volunteer and it grew a couple of years before I lost it. It seems like I ordered another, but to be honest, I'm not sure I have one now, LOL!!

Crit,
Most grubworms eat roots. In the grass, you can pull just back the grass they've eaten the roots of. They aren't the same as it iris grubs, which is why only the imitripiclid (sp?) works on them. There is another for the lawn.

Will,
Nice link on the grubs.
I'm sure the bamboo want's to put out runners. It will be interesting to see if they live in captivity.
For notepad, I go to format and use the font ''Times New Roman.'' Also set it to ''word wrap'' for continous writing.

Yep, all three names for Liatris.

Juhur,
Yes. the more liatris in a bunch the better. I just love them and move them all over. I have the tall lavender ones too which woulf be more of the Gayfeatheer. There are more kinds than just these two.

My neighbor called me last night. She had been talking to the nursery that comes out to planrt trees for her. They told her our 30 temps shouldn't hurt anything. I'm waiting for sun-up to see.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9071773

Thanks for the link on grubs Will. I am now informed!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9071855

Just recently getting started with the white one's.I'LL be starting the white later this summer from seed. Have some planted now only I don't expect to see them for some time.
I lost my bannana plant tree year before last,we had water up to the front porch about an inch from coming in the house.Stting in all that water they rotted and died.All that wasn't as good for the garden either,I got one cherry tomato plant to live and one melon plant.
billporter; thank you for the flower info I knew about some bloom difference only not that there was more than those.
My tomatoes all breezed through last night ,Be back in three or four days with the pics.More frost and freeze for tonight and three more days forecasting frost Waiting till after it happens.Nice today though 60 degrees and sunny.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9072587

Haha! I like to be informed too! I rely on others to tell me what I don't know, which is alot!

Thanks billyp, I do quite a bit of Googling myself and I have grown to like Ehow. Although, I don't dare use Ehow in Scrabble!
Oh, word wrap never occurred to me before, but I wonder if it still pastes to DG okay? I hope that Bamboo prospers, my friend really likes some Bamboo.

I manned up and bought a 4 x 8 sheet of waferboard at Home Depot and brought it home on top of the Dodge Durango. I tied it down good because I did not want it to blow off on the way home. It was only $11, so I wanted it bad, the shed will look so much better after I repair it.
Fortunately, it never budged an inch up there, it helps when you only average 30 mph. I knew I could do it, my friend was the pessimistic one about that, not me so much. Now, I can repair the worst side of the red shed. She was right to be concerned about transporting a waferboard sheet that big (on a windy day), but it needed to be done and I was pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem. She wanted me to get her something, so I got her a green Coral Bells called 'Birkin' there.

Here is that Rose of Sharon, the leaves are taking the shape of an ROS. I noticed another little leaf on the main stem of the cutting, I was hoping it would leaf up too.
Here is a 'Sum And Substance' Hosta of mine in a big pot.
Here is a 'Blue Angel' Hosta in a pot. Here is the biggest one so far of my 6 Banana 'Basjoo's to come up, in the black mulch (that I promised to remove, not the Banana, the black mulch).
And that's one of the volcanic lava rocks that was going to help add a tropical look to my "tropical spot". It'll still be tropical hopefully but minus the black mulch is all. I want to grass seed the heck out of that spot now, when the black mulch is all gone, not looking forward to shoveling, raking and just picking it up, I'll prolly need to use a pushbroom too!
Will

This message was edited Apr 6, 2012 9:23 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9072604

Will, use cardboard to help control weeds. Then put mulch on top of that. Much cheaper than plastic (FREE!!) especially if you go to a store and ask them to save boxes for you. Just make sure that you cover what you lay down quickly so neighbors don't start complaining again. lol. That's what I'm gonna do to my veggie garden and my former chicken pen area so I can control weeds and still plant.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9072655

I got some cardboard down, not as much as I'd like tho. Oh, it's too late for cardboard not to look bad to somebody. It has been on the ground I'm afraid for months without mulch on it yet.
I'm sure it added to a trashy appearance. Neighbors probably thought my Bamboo was weed (marijuana) and the cardboard on the ground was trash. That's a BIG water-tank box that I got from the neighbor last Summer. I even took photos of it back in the day! Here is one half of it recently, (I cut it in half). I didn't plan on waiting this long to cover up the cardboard, but it'll get covered up eventually!

Edited to say, ironically, that's also the side of the shed that I'm repairing soon.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2012 10:36 PM

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9073438

It's ALIVE! lol Looking good there Will.

Alll my hosta's (except S&S) are just peeking out of the ground. I'm so glad to see them all coming back after last years heat.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9073454

Thanks Crit! The Banana's are coming around! That Blue Angel up there has to be by far the biggest Hosta so far. That pic doesn't do it justice, that pot planter it's in is big.
That Sum And Substance right up there is the same one that I was showing you in the other photo, this is a much more recent photo and I got the label in the photo.
Will

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 7:02 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9073461

I had enough cardboard to cover about half of the veggie bed. So on Tuesday, our next truck day, I will get some more to finish. I pulled what chickweed I could and got it thinned out. Now to cover the rest of garden and cut holes to plant my veggies.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9073468

I forgot to mention. I have lost 2 roses to this mild winter it appears. Climbing Don Juan and climbing Golden Showers. I will try ordering my roses from Pickering or Palatines from now on. I have 2 roses coming in here pretty soon so will see how they do. I'm gonna amend their spots too so that hopefully will help them. Both were on north side of the house. My climbing Peace, Knockouts and Blue Girl are all doing great though. And Queen Elizabeth looks good but I think I need to bury her so maybe she will sprout more canes.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9073483

pepper23; I have some cardboard under mulch on one my tomato beds.That works real nice as long as you get it mulched good if not everything burns up because it gets hot!, hot!,hot!, under that doesn't it?
I'll get around to using it for daylillies and bamboo.It is one of the better older ideas and good luck with roses,do we get pics later to see them?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9073510

I had a bunch of boxes outside just waiting to be put down, but I think they were on the list for the cops to look at as something that needed to be removed. I'm not sure, but when they came to inspect, they pulled up right in view of that cardboard that I had stacked up to use as weedblock and it was gone when they looked so maybe that was their items of interest, they only stayed a couple minutes to look. They might be a bit confused by all the black weed fabric that is down, it must look bad. I think they've moved on. Now, I just hope they catch whoever it is that's ringing doorbells at 4 in the morning! If you don't get cardboard down for weedblock right away in a residential area, I think it looks trashy maybe!

I think mild Winters can just have that effect on Roses, the same thing happened to 3 that I had just got from Springhill year before last. It wasn't the Winter so much but I think the same principle.
I stored them and most everything else in pots in the garage, come to find out, after the Winter was over, there is a heat vent in there that is open. I am kinda sure it kept the garage too warm and many things didn't go dormant and they expired for lack of water. That's my opinion anyway. My friend here still reminds me about the Magic Roses that I killed! Just yesterday she was telling me how she likes Magic Roses and we had 3 of them. Roses are so expensive, sorry to hear that Pepper. We are really looking forward to the one happ gave us it is doing very well.

Here is my shade garden tonite, it is coming along good. My latest acquisition is from Home Depot yesterday, a Coral Bells 'Birkin', it's in the pot. Boy, I wish all Hostas were as stunning as 'June' is! It's in the pot there, I am wondering if I have enuff room for it in the middle. I am glad that I have two of them, that June should be very proud whereever she is!

My Grandma just has an awesome climbing red Rose at their house and as long as I remember it's always been there, I'll post a pic of it I took last year.
Will

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 8:23 PM

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9073526

I plan on mulching my cardboard and putting it on thick!! LOL. I'm hoping it makes it where we don't have to till it anymore.

Pics are coming!! I'm trying to catch up on weeds so pics fall on back burner right now. Especially with all the bare holes that need seed tossed on them. But I started taking a couple today and hopefully later in the week I can post some. I have an iris open right now and my tree peony is blooming still too.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9073557

shortleaf; This is part where I get to tell you a story from some time ago,When I lived in a maor city with lots of people near.I built some raised beds for small vegetables,the city agents like your cops came by.Investigating a body dissapearance, they began poking rods through my beds(that was without asking or saying a word).I 'm not sure to this day if they really were cops or not but i'm sure they were detectives.(pretty sure anyway).
And no, I wasn't hiding any bodies, neither had Ikilled anyone.I suppose when everyone's close together and doesn't really know what another is like some just have to press to be in everybody's biz. I could tell you the beds were longer than usual and why I built them only that's another story.
pepper 23' always in favor of less work myself,and my iris won't be blooming for a couple of weeks or so.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9073598

Ack! Cops poking the garden with rods?! Juhur buries folks in the garden! Just kidding, but that would be pretty nuts right there. I guess at least they didn't bring a corpse sniffing dog into your garden to dig it all up, I think I woulda sued, what a violation any way they did it. The city I'm in (Sugar Creek) actually only has a population of 4,000 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Creek,_Missouri not alot of people here, but they are close, oddly enuff Sugar Creek borders Kansas City on the East. This isn't a very prosperous area, unfortunately people are proud of their drugs and such around here.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9073776

35/68/38
Plenty of sunshine. Winds W at 15 to 25 mph.

Oh Juhur,
Did the water stay long enough to do any damage?

Will,
I used to have to fix the post because they would paste in short bursts. Now even tho my notepad is only 2'' to 3'' wide over to the side of my webpage, it all pastes perfectly. All I have to do is correct my spelling. I don't hit the keys well, LOL!

Getting the shed fixed and painted will be great! I'm not suprised that you didn't lose it, LOL!

Speaking of tropical, Hawaii does have the black sand, LOL! I'm not sure what to do about my black mulch. I think just covering it will be a better solution rather than taking it up. You might save yourself some work doing that.
Nice looking plants, and lava rock!

Big boxes are hard to come by. DH used them to lay under the car and change the oil.

Pepper, if it's dry, you can hoe and rake up the chickweed. If it's wet, yep, cover it!

Wow! I know we can't have Don Juan here because of the zone, but what a shame you lost it. It's a beautiful rose!

Will,
If you were going to get ticketed for the yard they would have done it that day. You are in the clear. Just keep on cleaning and planting and fixing and the neighbors will eventually look trashy :o)

June is a nice hosta nd the coral bells are so big! Nice!!
Wow! Gorgeous rose!! You shold try rooting a tip of it. It sure would be a great memory plant of her.

Juhur,
All I watch on TV are CSI and Criminal minds. You can't leave me hanging with a great story like that, LOL!! Now, why di you raise them and why WERE the beds longer than usual?

Will,
Interesting history on your town.

I walked the flower beds and the only frost damage I had was to the butterfly bush. The leaves on top had blackened patches, but I don't think it will affect any blooms. Naturally it's out way too early. Everything else looked great and the bleeding hearts are blooming away!

The little lilliput iris are also all coming into bloom and are a nice show of color. Add that to green green grass and it's looking good here!

I had hung clothes out yesterday morning and was going to mow after dinner. We had a piddling rain move in and ruin that. So, I'll be working out today. I really need the exercise. I haven't done much since we had the boys. We walked, but they don't power walk, LOL!

Have a sunny Sunday everyone!!

I took these the other day and more has bloomed so I really need more pictures, LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9074247

shortleaf The city as was mentioning was say 230,000 when I moved there and was about 2 to 3 million when I left.The one i'm at is about 50,000 and shrinking.

billyporter; Water being what it is always does some damage.One can only reply with maybe 'yeah but where would we be without it'
My story for building the garden beds is because they were on a sloping hill.Two sides that came together making a pond in the backyard.So I got a large truckful of earth and while filling in where the water ran to I found that it would flow by the beds raised up with drainage channels placed at either end. Elongated there was less erosion and the water ceased to flow downhill.
Ok,anticlimatic huh,would you like to here one from the sixties or sventies when I met John Gacey or farther back during a foriegn vaction when I walked past Mohmar Khadafie and his major named Hussein.

I think it would be better to stay with the idea of the thread though, so my tomatoes and vegies all look pretty good so far.The first three days of the week coming we are expecting freezing temps. I'll be back with a couple of pics and questions then.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9074496

I had a Queen Elizabeth when my kids were growing up that had the largest, best smelling flowers!!!! Poor thing, the kids would crawl through the railings on the deck to catch the bus and tromple all over her. Then when she started to grow in the spring it wasn't so bad and by May when school was about out, my son would take a bouquet to a friend of his whose b'day was the end of May. She always looked forward to that. After schoo was out the bush grew like wild fire! I did nothing special for her, unless you count ignoring. LOL I have another one at the other house I am going to get starts from. I need to go prune all those and get starts before it gets to far into spring. Oh wait, it's only April ... plenty of time. :-)

My mother always loved the Blaze Climbing red rose. It was one of her favorite climbers. Her favorite bush rose was Fragrent Cloud, and I have one here at the new house, in memory of her. She thought it would be a white rose, but is a coral red and smells heavenly!

Dreary here today. Only day that we don't have a chance of rain is Tuesday. I started to replace the iris that were here and I dug up to move because they didn't bloom. Now it is really rainy.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9075113

42/62/29
Windy with sunshine. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph

Juhur,
ROTFL! Anticlimatic, but interesting none the less. You had me at truckful of earth, LOL!!

Oh I don't know. Your stories sound pretty interesting!

Crit,
That's pretty good testimony for Queen Elizabeth. I find myself wanting one and wondering if my zone is too cold. Is it a hybrid tea?

My Mom had Blaze too and it was pretty!

I had Fragrant Cloud and it eventually died :o(

Luckily iris can stay out of the ground for a while if it hs to. Just wet the roots to keep it fresh. Or did you get it planted?

We have a freeze warning tonight and I hope the weather liars are so wrong!

Yesterday I mowed and we finally dug out the four corners of the new driveway and sidewalk. I planted one corydalis in each corner and mulched with the black mulch we bought last fall. I have four bags left to top off the hosta bed, which is the next work in progress. The corydalis came from there and I pottted up 8 or so for the free pile. I still have that many lining another bed, LOL! One sickly plant saved from Walmart many many years ago...

Thumbnail by billyporter

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9076417

How about this Lilac Globe Tree at my Mom's house?! That thing is getting good size and it is very fragrant, we spent most of Easter Sunday out there.
That's me sitting on the swing, and my Mom's dog. I got a spare tire on me, I am working on that! lol That privacy fence is just leaning there. It's not looking very good, but it was just put there because the big dogs in that other yard were scaring my Mom's little dog. Her dog wouldn't go on that side of the yard before, she got that fence from a neighbor who was throwing it away, but it's falling apart now.
I got that sheet of waferboard cut in half and finally gonna get that side of the shed covered up soon.

I hope your right, Sally, I don't want no steenking ticket! Your new driveway looks great Sally, and the plantings will look wonderful.
I like your pics, you do rocks too! We have a birdbath similar to the one in your second photo. It's behind the Globe Spruce -
Yeah, I agree, I may try again to start that red Rose of hers. I tried it last year but all I can think was they weren't warm enuff before I dunno, I'll try it again this Summer.
Thanks Sally, I hope them shade plants do okay. I think that Coral Bells 'Birkin' is so big because this time of year they promote the bigger ones at Home Depot for a somewhat decent price I guess, $5.98.

They say on channel 41 a low of 35 Wed, nite in the KC area if it is a thing for anybody in this area. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
That forecast changes pretty often though, so I'd check back, it could be different tomorrow.
Will

This message was edited Apr 9, 2012 9:49 PM

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9077555

I'm hearing lows below 32 tonight for most places. Freeze warnings north and east of me. I covered up my big planter that I just planted and brought stuff in that I didn't get a chance to plant yet. I'm getting some more potting soil tomorrow so I don't have to drag them in and out anymore.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9077566

billyp, I don't know what the zones are for Queen Elizabeth and don't remember what it is. Sorry.

I am still in the process of planting the iris. I'm keeping them wetted and we are having rain off and on. The others are still in their holding pots and doing fine, even blooming!

I don't know what corydalis is, so am looking it up on Plant files. Whic one do you have? Color? They look like a neat plant

Will, that lilac tree is beautiful. I can imagine how fragrent it is! I want to get a lilac bush. That is one of my favorite flowers. They had them at Walmart for $20. Still trying to decide whether to buy one or not. These were in bloom and smelled soooooooo good!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 10, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9077585

Just finished covering all our strawberries. Every blanket we had plus some rolls of insulation. Going down to 22 tonight. Apple & grape people are really worried. Apple shouldn't be blooming for another month, but they are very close. Goofy weather!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9077590

Plantfiles says 6b for Climbing Queen Elizabeth but that is not accurate. I have it of it growing all over it the place so I think it should be fine up there for you Bp. Just mulch it.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9077594

Goofy weather indeed!!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9077882

I saw maybe that weather forecast too, they said St. Joseph and surrounding areas could go as low as 29 to 30.
Isn't that Lilac Tree just awesome! It's almost done growing, good thing, the house power line is about 4 feet above it. Here is a closer up of it's flowers.
I am just in awe of the fragrance it has!

The TropiCanna Pepper sent me appears to be coming back in this big gray pot this year I noticed recently. It's not in the center of the pot where I put the big bulb so hope another sprout might come up somewhere else like the middle! lol

In the green grass photo, the 2 trees way back there are 2 Shumard Oaks that I planted in my maternal Grandparents' yard way back in July 2004. Here is a photo from then, they were about as big a round as a pencil, I had just got them out of a then Missouri Conservation regional office dumpster in Blue Springs, MO.
Next is a photo of them yesterday, they have grown considerably to my Grandparents' and my delight. That closer evergreen is a Black Hills Spruce that I also planted, but not until 2005, it is also growing good. That other tree over to the right is the neighbor's tree and it's dead, they oughta cut it down. They are nice neighbors, they keep a watch on my Grandparents also, they even cut their grass for free.

22 after being so nice would be a bummer. It isn't supposed to reach freezing here but we've been surprised before. The only things I set out is some Sugar-Snap Peas, so I'll get those if I need to, I have more of those seeds if I need them.
Will

This message was edited Apr 11, 2012 12:41 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9080555

53/57/52
Through 9am: Light rain developing by mid-morning. Becoming mostly cloudy with temperatures falling to near 46F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Rain showers early then thundershowers for the afternoon. High 57F. Winds SSE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Nice picture of you Will!
Love the lilac! I've never seen one like it before. Is it that shape naturally or was it trimmed over the years? Love the birdbath!
Yeah, that's a very decent price compared to ordering and paying shipping.

Crit,
I'm thinking it's zone 5 for the Queen. I could Google it :o)
I have the yellow corydalis. It is a neat plant and reseeds very well. It's delicate, but tough and survives very well. I also have wild fumewort which has a similar bloom and is blooming right now. Then it disappears for the summer.

Bernie,
I hope you saved all your plants.

Thanks Pepper :o)

Will,
Love the overhead of the lilac blooms. Isn't the sky something!
That's a nice sprout!
Love the green grass photo. You certainly have a green thumb with trees :o)

We watered asparagus and have been eating it. Boy is it good! Just yesterday I pulled those stubborn stalks from winter and got most of the weeds. Today we're to get rain and I sure hope we do!

I weeded in the garden yesterday but the chilly wind just gave me a headache. I can't decide if the coughing the boys did here, morphed into a cold or sinus. At least I got the root grass out before it turned into a huge problem.

First is corydalis and second fumewort

Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 13, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9080594

Planted carrots, beets, & some seed onions yesterday. Still no rain, but promised!
All things came through the frost, I think.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9081528

I'm just sitting here waiting on bad weather to show up. Gonna be a crazy and tense weekend.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2012

Post #9081627

Thanks Sally! It's a goofy photo, but I've come to know that all photos of me are goofy!
That's the natural shape of the tree. I thought she called it a Lilac Globe Tree, she bought it in 1997 for $100, it flowered the first year.
A birdbath at her house with the Lilac Tree? There are 2 there in the photo. Actually, the one on the right I got her from a home foreclosure cleanout that I did for HUD in 08', the other one is kinda crumbling apart on the bowl itself part. The concrete on it wasn't made right or something. The one I got her has fish going up the pedestal, I think the date of the photo obscures that but it's a neat birdbath up there. But by golly, I have the biggest and best birdbath of all! Mine is the fourth photo, I brag on that thing because it weighed a ton!
Thanks, a green thumb with trees eh? I only show the photos of the trees that lived! lol It's funny, in that green grass photo if you squint real hard you can barely see the disturbed dirt where I had just planted the 2 Shumard Oaks. The photos offline are quite a bit bigger but I think you might be able to barely see them as saplings in that photo maybe in DG.
Nice Corydalis and Fumewort, Sally, they are a nice yellow.

The TropiCanna is coming back in a big way. Here it is sprouting already, if you look above the leaf you can see a second little red sprout coming up in a more preferable place in the planter, closer to the middle, boy was I glad to see that sprout! I need to somehow tie the sprouts together or something, the wind broke off an entire full grown stem last year, I was bummed right out!

I planted 8 Lily-of-the-Valley roots today. I planted them in the front of my shade garden because they don't get that tall. In this photo, that is 5 roots on the right that I'm planting, I had already planted 3 roots in the front on the left (see the top of the Lily-of-the-Valley sticking out, the biggest one was over there). They aren't really anything special but my friend really likes them, and they're pretty. They were cheap at Wally World, 8 roots for $5.38.

The Rose-Of-Sharon cutting is really coming along. It has more little leaves coming on all the time. It's the third photo. I plan to pot it up within a month or so to send it to Crit, so it can be there in time to experience an Oklahoma Summer firsthand.

Yeah, I read zone 5b for the Queen Elizabeth Rose too - http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.5045 pretty Rose.

Yeah, something is brewing with this weather this weekend, it seems like that anyway, it's all ominous and crazy looking.

In this last photo I just wanted to show my Lily-of-the-Valley package, that's the 'Francee' Hosta and Coral Bells 'Key Lime'? next to it.
Will

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 10:12 PM

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9082448

YEA. My baby ROS is about to be adopted to me! :-)

The corydalis is really pretty

We are having weird weather too. Had 1 3/4" of rain last night. Chance of severe storms again tonight. I'm glad to have the spring rains so the ponds can fill up and we can get out of the drought situation. We are now, but just barely.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9082576

Yes Crit, you are the proud adoptive mother of a Rose-Of-Sharon cutting! I did word that wrong, I meant to say I'm shipping it soon, to pot it up and ship it would weigh quite a bit to ship out of state.
I'm just gonna send it bareroot, but moist roots soaked in the stuff that the Missouri State nursery shipped my seedlings in this year. I don't know what that mystery shipping stuff is that they use but it's light and it holds moisture good! I filled up a 1 gallon black pot with it yesterday.

Wow, an inch and three quarters of rain, that's a lot. It's been raining but not nearly that much, but it's always gloomy outside. I was cleaning out a shed today and it got all dark like it was going to bust out with a rainstorm, so I was all worried and was hurrying ( with everything from inside the shed, out), but it never rained a drop!

Happ, the dark red Rose you gave me is well on it's way to blooming some nice flowers, I think that is the first of many, buds are all over it.
That's it in the first photo. I just showed my friend here this photo of it from today and she squealed with delight! Across from it I planted a 'Royal America' climbing white Rose from Kmart for $5.99. There is a micro-climate in the backyard here (you can't see the horizon on the North), so I hope that helps my new findings on that Rose's hardiness, I looked it up it is 6b! If everything blooms on that little Harbor Freight trellis, it'll be a smorgasbord of Rose flowers! I might also plant an apricot/yellow Rose there called 'Penny Lane'.

How about my James Macfarlane Lilac, that thing was like $3 last Fall as a Fall special. My friend is so giddy on it that she wants me to buy another one this Fall she just said. We have a regular purple Lilac that is even bigger and taller than this one but it isn't blooming yet.

I just saw today what might be the Lobelia coming back from the ground. I'm not sure that's what it is, if anybody can help know for sure that'd be nice. I would like to have the elusive Cardinal Plant in the garden.

Here is my three 'Satisfaction' Lily Trees. I don't know how that one got out of line with the other two, it tried to escape I think. It's not as neat on the top because I wasn't expecting it to be out there and I went over it with a weedeater! I'll put it back in line, by the fence, with the other two this Fall. My other set of, originally 3, now 4, 'Purple Prince' Lily Trees are doing good on the other side of the yard, (which isn't far away..lol).

Offline, where the photo is much bigger, I counted over 20 peaches coming on in this shot itself, on my 'Red Haven' Semi-Dwarf Peach Tree. Right now they are harder to all see in a smaller pic, the peaches aren't yet the typical round red shape, they still look a bit like leaves in some's silhouettes. This single self fruiting tree is going to be loaded with peaches in years to come.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 6:38 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9082601

shortleaf; what's the difference as to 'cardinal plant' and cardinal flower, as they both begin with Lobelia.I'll just give the 'OH' now instead of waiting.

As it is ,my imagination is failing me today,it needed to rain ,I'm even glad it is,but man, I am bored.

I have some rose of sharon seeds , what do hybrids look like?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9082677

Juhur, I don't really know. I said "plant" but I think it means "flower". Actually, I'm not sure if mine 'Queen Victoria' is gonna survive a normal Winter here, I see it says zone 7 here - http://www.perennialreference.com/perennials/lobelia.html As far as hybrid Rose-Of-Sharon's, I really don't know that either, I know they sell them, I've seen them at stores. Sorry that I couldn't be more help. Now, I can tell you how many are in a baker's dozen, 9! But, those Altheas or Rose-Of-Sharon hybrids are nice if you got the room for them - http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHHJ_enUS400US401&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=g#hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=hybrid rose of sharon &pq=hybrid rose of sharon&cp=29&gs_id=1o&xhr=t&q=hybrid rose of sharon Althea&pf=p&rlz=1C1CHHJ_enUS400US401&sclient=psy-ab&oq=hybrid rose of sharon Althea&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=af73696fe4de10c7&biw=1920&bih=947 The hybrid ROS are very nice I bet.
I might opt for a Lobelia siphilitica. Lobelia siphilitica, great blue lobelia. 2 - 3'. Great blue lobelia is very similar to cardinal flowers but the foliage is more rounded and the flowers, of course, are blue. Zones 4 - 8.
I copied and paste some stuff from informative sites. I wish I knew about more of what I talk about. My Mom and Sisters tell me that too when we're playing Scrabble! Like I'll use the word "zed" and they'll be like, "ok, what's it mean" and I'll say, "I zed something", they just laugh! lol
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9083265

We got another 3/4" of rain this morn. Were in a severe thunderstorm watch about 5:45 a.m.
Lots of wicked weather all around us and a tornado up in Kansas. Our family made it home before it hit. Only had bad hail damage.

LOL @ Will and the bakers dozen and Scrabble!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9083578

What do lilac leaves look like as the buds open?Are they usally red?What shape are they? I have need of some id info for grandma,she got a bunch of trees and we need to identity the lilacs.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9083820

Crit, glad the worst of the storms missed you. They were pretty wicked last night!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 15, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9083830

Showed up here today. Nothing hit that I know of. Weather spotters said there were funnels on the ground, but mostly small & in fields.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9083835

Glad to hear that.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9083857

Photos are great for id'ing stuff, juhur, if you can, take some photos. Here is the 2 Lilacs in this yard, the other regular purple one is in the background, it isn't flowering like the 'James Macfarlane' Lilac in front of it. Yeah, nasty weather, it's been thundering and raining but nothing severe really. I hear lots of tornadoes in other states though. I haven't seen much news, I been gone all day.

Haha! 9 glazed donuts is a baker's dozen isn't it?!
Will

This message was edited Apr 15, 2012 7:21 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9084095

Pretty, pretty, pretty, love the flowers! Have to wait on the pic, the seedlig transplant is only now beginning to leaf. The little 2 dollar for postage digital cam won't do for that.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9084318

Thanks juhur,. A 2 dollar camera eh? Is yours on a keychain too?! I don't use my keychain camera, I think it was a bank gift from depositing my millions. I'm lucky that I was left a decent point and shoot digital camera when my Dad passed, it's 8 years old but it takes good photos, it was all the stuff back in 2004 (for a point and shoot camera). Oh, I wanted to show Sally the birdbath here that looks like hers. I need to scrub it out and maybe paint it that RustOleum gloss black, it's a little faded.

Oh, how tax time is here again! This is one time a year that it pays a little to actually NOT be rich!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9084707

I just mow the grass while ago and I saw this Robin's nest with 2 blue eggs!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9084906

Well it's not a keychain camera only I guess it could be, about the size of my little finger and i'm small handed.As for for my millions and tax time, we all know who owns the money anyway.Did make a 70% bracket once years ago,not as fun as I thought it would be. My imagination would have to be much better these days to even have such things coming to mind.
And my first clematis blooms today! Right in time to be wind damaged.BOO?!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9085218

Ack! Yes, sounds like a $2 camera there!
Sorry to hear about your damaged Clematis juhur. It's been really windy recently here too but no damage here. The tornado destruction is here again! Well, not so much Missouri, but Ks. (mostly), Ok, Iowa and Ne. I hope I got this right, Woodward, Ok., Thurman, Iowa, Wichita, Ks. and in Nebraska, not sure where. They showed where tornadoes were at and the whole state of Missouri was spared according to the Weather channel. - http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/tornado-damage-recap-apr12_2012-04-15
You made it to the 70% juhur?! They say the 6 Walmart heirs have as much money as the bottom 30% of all Americans.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 11:03 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9085301

Here is one of my clematis!! It has more blooms on it now but this is the best it has ever looked. I'm thinking my new Penny Lane rose would look good with it. Gotta be better looking than an orange and purple combo!! Oh wait, I love the crazy combos. Hmmm, I think Westerland rose will go there instead. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9085569

Neat Clematis and trellis there Pepper, I like how the trellis is 4 sided. I wonder what goes with a black Rose?!

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 11:13 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9086649

Anything goes with a black rose!! lol
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9086781

Well Will, if you get 9 when you get a bakers dozen and your happy, so be it! LOL
In my area it is 13. :-)

Does anyone have any small purple (or white) lilacs that they could dig for me? I would send you postage. I LOVE lilacs, especially the old fashioned purple. They smell so good! WM has some for $17, but money is pretty tight.

All the bad stuff stayed west moving north from us, Praise God! I know there was a lot of damage done from them that night!

I saw the prettiest orange rose at the nursery the other day. They had it planted in their yard and was about 5 feet tall. I asked what it was and we checked the tag. It was About Face. I WANT ONE!!!! So pretty. Don't know if it was fragrent though.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9086973

I've seen those nearly black roses for sale. I used to work at a flower shop many many years ago, (I was the delivery driver). Anyway, there was all colors of Roses there! You know how? They spray-painted them! Haha, just kidding about the 9 donut baker's dozen! I think it's 13 here too but I don't think they are around anymore, I imagine a thirteenth one probably cuts into the owner's bottom line.

There is 2 Lilacs here, a pink one and a regular purple one, but they're tiny. From what I read, digging up suckers is the best way. You can always buy a fairly small one or small one, like we did and wait the few years for blooms. - http://www.homeandgardenideas.com/gardening/shrubs-bushes/care/how-propagate-lilacs I don't know if doing Lilac cuttings is that easy some say it's easy, some say it's hard I see. I think some sites assume that you already have a big one to work on.

Here is my Lilac package from 2 or 3 years ago, it started out very small and is still pretty little. It either came from Lowes or Home Depot, probably Lowes. I tried to keep my bowl out of the shot but I see I got the edge of the bowl.

I think I may need to dig mine up. I only gave it 4 feet on either side and I've seen old ones that are like 15 feet in diameter!

Crit, it'll be okay if the postage is gonna be too high to ship that ROS to Ok., they are prolly proud of shipping that far. As somebody that's on unemployment I understand totally.
Want me to see what the shipping is first? You might be able to get a store bought one for this regular one.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #9087070

It's not so bad.They'll bloom some more.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9087336

That'll be fine Will. Then I'll know what to expect.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9088001

shortleaf; I wasn't ignoring about your parent, mine passed in 91 the other is still living although has been having recent trouble.It's always difficult losing someone near and respected.
And these days I'm a limited budget income,that's not much fun either!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9088200

Ok Crit, I'll get it ready soon and see what they say at the USPS.

Oh juhur, I know, don't give it another thought.
Losing family members does stink. That's a nice Clematis you got there.

Well, I think I'm gonna be digging up this Lilac, I don't think it has enuff room. It's in the middle of this first photo, those up there across the top are some Ozark Witch Hazels. To the right of the Lilac is another Lilac, but it's a different kind (james Macfarlane and I'm guessing it doesn't get as big as the regular one. On the left side of the Lilac is a Spirea. Does anyone else think the middle Lilac doesn't have enuff room? That's only about 4 feet between them. Here is that Lilac much closer if anyone wants to see the leaves, the label says it is Syringa Vulgaris, it's the second photo.

I got my latest addition planted up, the 'Penny Lane' climbing rose, I got it from Pickering Nursery, mailorder. It is on the far side of this trellis in the third photo. On the close side, a few blooms so far, is the dark red Rose that I got from happ about a year ago. Next to the 'Penny Lane' (beigish/apricotish, waiting to see) is a whitish/yellowish climber called 'Royal America'. I hope that cheaper ($5.99) Harbor Freight trellis holds up.
It could be 2 or 3 years before the 'Royal America' and 'Penny Lane' bloom, but I can wait, I am a patient sort. The third photo shows the whole trellis, the fourth photo shows the Penny Lane I planted today and the Royal America next to it that I planted a 3 or 4 days ago.

The fifth photo is my 3.5 by 7 foot shade garden, that Ligularia on the back right is really getting some size, lots of leaves and they are getting BIG!
Will

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9089584

I just had to share another pic, of the front shady bed that I made today. It will have 18 Lily-of-the-Valley roots, 6 Christmas Fern roots and 2 Chocolate Chip Ajugas (those 2 from Home Depot) planted in it hopefully tomorrow.

I have a question, does anyone know how "bulbs" or "roots" can stay viable and fresh so long in those bags at Walmart and Home Depot, (for examples of stores)? Are they sun AND moisture activated perhaps?
Because I wouldn't think dry roots, (like in a green bag of roots) would be good for the viability of a plant, but all the bulb and root sales obviously isn't in agreement. Is it because the bag inside is so dry and opaque and little to no light gets in the bag, that they can stay in there for extended periods? Like my Lily-of-the-Valley roots and Christmas Fern roots say "roots" on the bag, should it really say bulbs? I can kinda see a bulb being viable but these dry "roots" in the bags?

How about the Water Iris from happ putting out a yellow flower? Is that some green water or what? lol
Will

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9090014

LOVE that color green! LOL

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9090044

Suppose we should all get together and send some algae eaters?

That is an interesting artistic display of green, imaginative, creative, eye catching, really unique!! (lol)

Pardon I could not resist.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9090274

Haha, thanks! Yeah, that's your green water right there and it hasn't even gotten really hot and sunny yet. I scoop water out of there sometimes to water other plants and it's funny pouring this green liquid on them! Plants don't seem to mind the water being green, they perk right up when I water them with it. Although, I don't think I'd recommend a person drinking it!

Haha! Really, it'll be okay, don't send algae eaters, those things are expensive. I'd rather have green water than be able to see the liner bunched up in places. There isn't anything to look at like fish, when I get fish then maybe I'll break one off for one of those UV clarifiers.

Besides, it DOES bring out the artist in me, maybe I can freeze some cubes in ice cube trays and sell cubes of them for $100 apiece on Ebay. If people on Ebay will buy stale French Fries, McNuggets and cow patties on there maybe they'll like some funny green water! Maybe I can say it just appeared and filled up a bucket in the yard on 420! That water does have a certain uniqueness and it just kinda adds to the whole theme of doing stuff on the cheap! I might just leave the green water for a while, it's a neat conversation piece and it's eyecatchingly cool! Now, when I put the one liners on the ladies in the garden centers I can tell them about my green water and ask them how to fix it!
Will
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9090404

ROFLMBO ... toooooo funny! I'll take a 'bakers dozen' of your green ice cubes, please. lol

You need FISH. Buy some cheap feeder goldfish and throw them in there. I use to do that to my stock tanks to keep out the larvae and keep the water clear. I got solid gold then some gold and white ones. Cheap Koi! I left them in there all winter too. They just snuggled down into whatever was in the bottom. UNTIL I was gone to long on a trip and the water got down low enough that I ended up with frozen fish. I'd had them for several years and they were about 9-10" long. UGH

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9090604

Ehh, just playin' some shortleaf,Since I don't have a rain barrel or small water garden I let water turn green in water jugs. The plants seem to like it better like it better as you said.

Was'nt; 'tryin to getch all a riled up' touchy, touchy, artists.

GREEN ICE CUBES; maybe it 'll catch on, like' green onions.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9090907

Wow, thanks Crit! That'll be $1300!
Oh I know juhur! I have a good sense of humor, my days of getting mad and flaming on the internet ended years ago, I never get mad.
I'm not all riled up or anything, I'm not like that..lol I like the interest in my goings on!
There is life after green water!

Seriously though, the Water Irises must love the green water too, that's quite a flower on that one. I just got those from happ about a year ago, they've grown alot since then.

I've been looking at those feeder goldfish at the store. They are only $1.50 for a dozen at the pet store where I buy crickets for my lizard. I see mosquito larvae I believe in the water already. The feeder goldfish aren't warranted so I wanted to wait till it's always warm so they are less apt to die. Sorry to hear about your Fish were so big when they died. Years ago, we found out a Great Horned Owl was helping itself to my Grandmother's Koi at nite. They were nice Koi, she had had them for years. They prolly woulda retailed for a thousand dollars apiece at the store, they were 2 feet long some of them. Unfortunately, they were disappearing all the time, before we found out why. I was in a rural area then and the owls were more brave about sitting around in trees in your yard. At this one job I had I came home at 2:30am and a Great Horned Owl would fly off when I got out of the car from right above the fish-pond.

How about this TropiCanna from Pepper, it already has 3 sprouts.
Will

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9090991

I need to get my tropical stuff out and planted. I just haven't yet due to the wild swings in temps. It's crazy!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9091048

I don't have many tropical plants, maybe 2, the TropiCanna and a big pot of Elephant Ear bulbs. My houseplant collection is my tropicals. Yeah, the lows have changed yet again, they now say low lows until Tuesday of next week. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast That could all change, it usually does, May 1st is only a few days away, I may wait til then to put my houseplants outside.

Banana 'basjoo's are kinda tropical but so far only 2 of the 6 in the yard have came back from last year, 1 of my 2 'Luna red' Hibs came back, so far. I hope the other one comes back, I'd like a big red tropical looking flower.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9091700

As earlier my tropical looking all bit the dust in a flood a year or two ago, your all familiar with story.

Here's a mulch pile made of cardboard , fiber as bags filled with leaves and compost, and garden lawn grass clippings over that. Looking a little messy yet ,only as it greens it cleans. At least two the view

Realizing it has been some time ago that was where the conversation was I will add my own slow...to that.

Thumbnail by juhur7

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9093315

Thats what I'm gonna try to do with the cardboard in my veggie garden.

I have the rest of it covered now except for a big corner. Have to put yellow squash there. Everythinh else will be in buckets this year.

Thumbnail by pepper23

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9093414

That's a good idea as long as it does'nt dry out under the cardboard.The nicest thing about it is after three years or so ,as the worms and natural microbes develope you get earthy garden soil that looks like it came from a forest floor,especially if you amend it organic. CoooooooooL HUH!?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9093575

I was thinking maybe I ought to add I remember when you talking about the board drying out, The only problem I've ever had is pillbugs ,but not as many now as has been in the past.Besides they don't eat much ,only they will occasionaly attack a melon..
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9093693

You guys got some work there. The other day I cut and put up the wafer-board on one side of the old cheap shed, you can see part of a big cardboard box that I broke down and put on the ground as weed-block.
I need to make a decent compost to amend this clayey soil here in the yard, I go thru a lot of Miracle-Gro.

Here is my new terrarium (an antique milk jug), complete with a Pilea 'Aluminum' in the back and a smaller Polka-Dot Plant 'Splash' in the front. That's the cat Rudy investigating, she can't get in it after I put the lid on it.
I want to add some rocks or some smaller plants to it later, I just made it a while ago. Don't mind that crazy Santa Claus on the tricycle, he wanted to ride into the photo! lol I made sure not to damage the jug, I didn't drill holes in it or anything. It's my roommate's, she wasn't crazy about dirt and plants going in it, but she likes it now.

In this new bed in the front yard by the ramp, I am going to plant 4 'Chocolate Chip' Ajugas, 6 Christmas Fern bulbs and 18 Lily-of-the-Valley bulbs, hopefully tomorrow, maybe a couple smaller Hostas (maybe 'June' and 'Patriot') if there's room. I need to dig up and nurse that 'Guacamole' Hosta, in that pic, back to health some way, it is staying puny, I got other Hostas that are doing better to put there.

My lizard isn't right, it finds comfort laying on top of the cactus in there, Mammalaria Banksiana. I think he likes it up there so he can look on his supply of crickets and he prolly eats them up there, they also like the top of the cactus, oddly enuff, there's a couple of them down lower on the cactus.

Ewww, going down to 35 Monday nite according to channel 41 here in KC. http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
Will

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9093811

40/62/43
Mostly sunny. High 62F. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph.

Hi, sorry to be gone so long :o)

I have been outside every day doing things. I have some garden in and need to reseed inside what didn't grow. Today I will be at DD's all day babysitting. It's a chilly day so it's a good day to do that.

I've been so busy that I haven't had time to take any yard pictures :o(

Hope all goes well for you as I'll be missing off and on now that spring is here.

Have a warm day! Mine will be chilly and windy :o(
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9095230

Ok, it only got 12 Lily-of-the-Valley roots, the 6 Christmas Fern roots and 3 'Chocolate Chip' Ajugas in that new bed in the front yard. When I got to doing it, there didn't seem like enuff room for everything I thought before, I don't even know if there's enuff room for the 2 Hostas I boasted about.

It's been chilly and windy here too, Sally! Although, warming up drastically starting tomorrow, 84 tomorrow they say! - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9095751

The terrarium looks great Will. I love the polka dot plant. I have one and it gets really big in the summer. Dies back in the house during the winter. I'm sure that it doesn't have anything to do with not watering it often enough. UGH.

I like the light bark where your hosta's are a lot better than the black. What happened to the planter you made for the triangle?

I've spent the last 2 days potting up and dividing some plants I bought at the Herbal Festival here in SS. I got so much neat stuff. Some of it is not real big, especially the pieces I seperated, but they look GOOD. Tonight is a chance of high 40's for a low, but after that it is smooth sailing with lows in the 60's. I'm planting my ws'ing plants now. Next is to clean out the leaves in the big front flowerbed and off of the Amarylis and other plants that are against the north fence. I'm so excited! lol
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9096334

I just planted at least 16 perennials today when I got home from work. And bulbs. lol. I had to take advantage of the weather. Plus I was tired of looking at the pots. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9096518

Thanks Crit. I love the Polka-Dot plant too! Wow, I hope it doesn't get that big. Oh, that's just MiracleGro garden soil in that bed by the ramp, I can still put cedar mulch on top of it. I'll see what is gonna sprout in there then I will ask about putting cedar mulch in it, I wouldn't want to cover anything up right now.

Oh, that planter is still out there, but the plants in it aren't coming back yet like I hoped. There were some hardy mints and stuff in there that I thought might come back, but so far it looks like weeds is the only thing coming back in it. That's it in the foreground in the photo, it's doing procrastinator duty right now, I don't really know what to do with it! Good memory tho Crit! It was on that pedestal for a long time, I'll probably fill it back up with a Sweet Potato plant and some Coleus and put it back there on the pedestal. That's a Euonymous Gold something or other there now, it's a good sport, it doesn't require much! I Googled it, it ranges in hardiness it seems, from minimum zone 5 to 7, but it does well here over the Winter in a metal bucket.
Here is the Google -
http://www.google.com/search?q=euonymus golden&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHHJ_enUS400US401&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&ei=rlKXT-nQM-f10gGz3YzDDg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=1&ved=0CDAQ_AUoAA&biw=1920&bih=947

In the photo, that's that fourth 'Chocolate Chip' Ajuga that I have left after planting it's 3 brethren.

You guys have been busy! This is some crazy weather, 90 high tomorrow then a 50 high Saturday.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9097074

I found the neatest 'tri-color' potato vine at the Herbal Festival here Saturday. I had never seen it. Just the lime and black. I'll get a picture of it if I remember. It is small now.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9097203

Wow Crit, a tri-colored Potato Vine, I'll have to look out for that, I'd like that too. Sure, if you can, a photo would be neat. I might even put one in my terrarium.
I just mowed up some grass, oh joy!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9097739

Went and bought a new rose today. lol. I just couldn't resist it. OSO Easy Paprika. I just love the colors on it. Also got Fire and Ice hosta and Golden Joy Oriental lily. lol. My garden is filling up fast.

Thumbnail by pepper23   Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9097946

Oh, Easy Paprika has some nice colors, that would be sweet if it turns out like the pictures! I have blooms on the dark red Rose happ gave me. It has a habit so far more of a shrub Rose, but that's okay, maybe it'll ramble up the trellis some. I'm still waiting for 'Penny Lane' to get a leaf but I just got it, I'm sure it needs to grow some roots, but I've been watering it, my other Rose from Kmart is devoid of anything as well, 'Royal America'. I got a photo of the red Rose and the trellis. That's the 'Penny Lane' and the 'Royal America' across from the red Rose. 'Fire and Ice' Hosta eh? I looked it up at Plantfiles, it's pretty small, a good size for a bed here maybe in the front.

I put that Rose-Of-Sharon out to get it ready for a trip to the Post Office, it is getting some nice leaves on it, I got a photo of it here below.

Here is one of my 25 Liatris bulbs coming up! I planted them way too shallow, but I wanted to be sure they could get thru the soil, I do follow directions when I drive though!

How about this yellow Water-Iris in the water with some yellow flowers, isn't yellow and green supposed to make blue! Just kidding, but they must like that water anyway because one is blooming nicely, thanks happ.

This TropiCanna is gonna be nice this year, it already has 3 sprouts, thanks Pepper.
Will

This message was edited Apr 25, 2012 10:24 PM

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9098000

I dug that old fashioned Lilac up to put it somewhere else, that's it in the front and a shade garden of mine behind it.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9098754

Yes Will, I had never seen a tri-color either. If it grows well where I can get a start for you, I'll send you one.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9099129

I still have to get my Penny Lane and Westerland in the ground. I'll wait til after the weekend when I get some input.

WIll, I also have Earth Angel hosta. I bought it last year but left it in the pot til the other day. It looks like it's gonna be a biggie.

Earth Angel just planted in the first pic and Fire and Ice in the second pic.

Thumbnail by pepper23   Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9099193

Amazing how so many hosta are so similar, but have different names! PTL all of my hosta that I didn't know if they would survive last summer's heat, as they were just planted, have all come back! I should have some nice trades in a year or two. They are all named. I got a bunch of them from happ.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9099375

I replanted 2 Hostas that were shriveling up for some reason. The smallest one is the only one that I know what it was, the identity of the other one hasn't came to me yet. The one 'Guacamole' got replaced by one that is a neat variegated one but I don't know the name of it. The other one that got replaced identity hasn't came to me yet but it got replaced by 'Halcyon', which is a nice, cheap blue Hosta. I looked up Fire and Ice and it isn't cheap! lol That unnamed one got unintentionally divided all up, it kinda fell apart when I dug it up, I already potted up all 3 divisions of it, I don't throw anything away, I'll take care of anything, except a weed, until it dies of a broken heart! lol

Just wondering Pepper, how long do you think until the Penny Lanes have flowers?

Okay Crit, thanks, if that works out I'd be glad to have it.

Today, I also rolled up my sleeves and manned up on some rocks and other labor in the backyard so I can get that cedar mulch down sooner than later, I'm tired of it not being done! I did about 40 feet of rocks, this is gonna be "the house of the limestone rocks!"
I wonder if I can win some prize money for that?!

I got some peaches coming in on my 'Red Haven' Semi-Dwarf Peach Tree!

And the number of Hostas, there is I think 400 or so kinds of Hostas! And they get expensive, I think lkozarksgarden said they go as high as 400 dollars for one eye!
Will

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9099625

Squirrel been eating peaches!!!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9099671

Sorry to hear about your Peaches Juju.
Oh.. I never thought about that. I saw a squirrel back there by that tree but in my pots digging and rooting around yesterday. I was watching it out the kitchen window, I was like, "you so and so get out of there", it was just jumping from one pot to the next, man I hope it hasn't and don't discover peaches! It never did any damage that I could see in the pots this time. I need to make a piece of tin or something and put it around the Peach tree, but then it would just jump above it, the tree isn't that tall yet.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9099839

I have squirrels but don't have trouble with them messing with my pots. My bird feeders is "another thing". That keeps them pretty well entertained! I put some squirrel feeders in the front yard, hoping to lure them away from the bird feeders. I think now they are just eating from BOTH! UGH

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9099855

I gonna put fake owl someday!! lf I find it! lol...
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9100090

A fake owl! Haha! The neighbor up the street has something of a vineyard in his yard. Actually, I've seen their wine for sale in a store up the street. They stack it all on top of a barrel, in the aisle, so you'll knock it off and break them and have to buy them, that's probably how they can say it sells. I bought one for a friend for a party gift last year and made sure to pull my jacket in when I walked by it all at the store. Anyway, they have a fake person and I've seen the old standby, pie pans, in employment in their yard too.

I've been doing the mulch thing today until it started raining, that was short-lived, I'm about to go back out. I think I'm gonna need another load of mulch. This time, I might have to present my findings that it's nearly the same to buy mulch by the bag at Lowes and see what he says, I guess the mulch man will either throw me outta there or give me a discount.
Well, back to the manual labor that I so enjoy!
Will

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9100137

Wow I am not even going to try to read all the posts...rofl. I did a hit and miss to see what you all are up to...Working hard I see.

Will great work on the garden, I would water seal or paint that board you put up, especially at the bottom edge (the narrow edge), water runs down and gets soaked up and that is why you lost the bottom to begin with. I did that to the top and bottom of my storage doors so water couldn't drip on the edge. That acts like a wick. I cleaned the pond earlier when we had some warm weather, my yellow and purple water iris are blooming like crazy. For the moment I have the green water under control...(for the time..rofl) More sun more algea, I am like you Will if I get it too clean then you can see the buckets that are sunk. I finally have the waterfall the way I want it, I even squirted that foam in the back to stop the water from running behind the rocks, so I must like it now because I can't take it apart...rofl. I just need some smaller filler rocks and I will finally consider it done. Will since you don't have fish, put a little bleach in the water and it will kill the alge, just don't put so much you eat the liner...you know clhorine swimming pools...same difference. Plus I don't think those little blood sucking misq. larva like bleach...

Pepper you have sure bought some beautiful plants, that rose is amazing!

I took Thursday off and just played and played in the yard. I put down 14 bags of mulch, just another 100 to go...rofl. I am waiting for it to rain so I can pull some weeds, baby trees, and trap some moisture in the ground before I put the rest of the mulch down. I have got to go to Indep. cause I have purchased way too many tomato plants and take them to my sister. Hey, guys southerland has their baskets for 5.00 and home depot has 4 pots of perennials for 10.00 if my brain is working correctly...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9100278

Sutherlands did have their baskets for 3.99 for friends and family members a few days ago. First come, first serve, no limit. I didn't go though we talked about it at work. lol

Happ, I also love that rose. You should see my Climbing Peace!! It's really blooming today but it's too windy for the camera.

Thumbnail by pepper23   Thumbnail by pepper23   Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9100763

Thanks happ. good seeing you again. I sprayed that wafer-board's edges with this clear sealer in an aerosol can. I thought about that too, I'd like it to last a while but half inch wafer-board is so cheap and cheaply made unfortunately. That 4 by 8 sheet was $10 at HomeDepot.

That's a nice climbing rose there, Pepper. I bought one at Kmart today and I'm a little worried because nothing at all from anywhere comes up when I Google it - 'Scarlet Sensation'. I thought I'd plant it next to the one happ gave me to add more red because those other 2 climbers across from it might be more white and apricot than red, with this red one too maybe it won't look so funny.

Here is about half of the landscaped area with a roughly 4 inch layer of cedar mulch, I've used all my mulch up, time for more mulch! I got another photo of it, closer up by my birdbath.
That's ALOT of mulch bags there happ!

Bleach clears up algae eh? I am thinking about getting some feeder goldfish as soon as it stays warm. I want to get the larvae that is swimming around in there before my friend dips all the water out! lol
Will

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9101133

I finally found some info. on the Scarlet Sensation Rose at helpmefind.com. I usually gamble like that, buy stuff before I research it but it usually works out okay luckily. But, ideally, I'd learn a little about something before I purchased it. And of course, Kmart has sold yet another Rose that is out of zone here. The Scarlet Sensation is 6b at helpmefind.com - http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/pl.php?n=5645 , that might work here with the backyard the way it is, but I might speak too soon and it'll die this Winter! I now have 2 from them that are both 6b. I might have to call my connection at Kmart headquarters and profess to them that this is NOT zone 6b! I have Royal America and now Scarlet Sensation, both 6b, they oughta be ashamed of themselves.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9101633

Walmart is doing the same thing with other plants. I was at the one in Blue Springs yesterday and they had Cape Honeysuckle and something else that has never been hardy here before that I know of and they were labeled as perennials. I was rolling my eyes when I saw that. OH!! It was the regular white jasmine! Not hardy here. You have to get the yellow jasmine.

Thumbnail by pepper23   Thumbnail by pepper23   Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9101807

Oh, so much color Pepper, very pretty. Yeah, I always disliked getting duped by buying what I thought was a cool plant only to see it perish over the Winter. I remember one year I bought a Red-Tipped Photinia and 3 Crape Myrtles, these were supposed to be hardy kinds of Crape Myrtles, so I thought I'd have some neat trees. I remember the 3 CM's did come back the next year, 2007, at the BASE! They were a nice flowering bush, but definitely not a tree here. The Red-Tipped Photinia didn't come back, this was when I lived in Kansas City North, closer to the International airport, I don't think I was getting any benefit from the urban heat island effect like I am here, just East of Kansas City.

I need more Irises, now that my landscaped area for plants is getting more defined, I'll likely fill it up in the near future. The only Jasmine I have is a houseplant, Tri-colored Jasmine.
I have a honeysuckle, just a Hall's Honeysuckle that blooms white. It is almost to the top of my 8 or 9 foot tall clothesline-post fence thing I made. It's in the above photo with all the new mulch too.
It's hard to tell it in that photo but that vine goes about 3 feet higher than that post on that fence thing I put up there. I just now got the receipts ready for those 2 Roses from Kmart, I'm taking them back if they don't get leaves in 90 days. It's not actually 3 months, it's only 90 days. I bought that Royal America on 4/12 and it says must be returned by 7/11, if one were to go on 7/12 for a refund they'd prolly
leave red faced.

In this photo is 2 of my latest additions, the red climber 'Scarlet Sensation' and a Liriope, it says Variegated Liriope on the label. Haha, I got the new rose and the Liriopes' rec'ts safely at the ready..lol, they also get 90 days! Those Hostas are the four divisions that I got the other day when I replaced these struggling ones in the front yard with some better ones. Behind them is some Flowering Dogwoods that I got from the state nursery in a bundle, they are in terrible dirt. I just wanted to get them out of the shipping package that they were shipped in.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9102298

Too much to catch up on. I've been babysitting and sick off an on for two weeks. I hope to be 100% by tomorrow.

Walmart here has been doing that too. I saw something that was might tempting, but thought it wasn't hardy here. I didn't buy it and looked it up later. I would have wasted my money.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9102433

Get well soon Sally. Yeah, some stores have stuff shipped here from states like Florida, of course it looks all lush and nice here in the Summer. But towards November, some plants can tend to look like these dead plants that they tried to sell for a quarter apiece at a local box store one year, they still do it.
The last one is an Italian Stone Pine. In the background is cut Christmas trees for sale.
Aren't they precious?! They tried hard to sell everything before it got cold!

This message was edited Apr 29, 2012 2:21 PM

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9102596

billyp, hope you are back to 100 percent tomorrow, dang being sick.
We are getting rain, and we needed it up here. It would of been nice if it is on the week day but I will take it when I can get it...rofl.
Next week looks like it is warming up again finally. I would love to take the tropicals outside and get them out of the house.
Now that it has rained I can throw down some mulch and help trap some of the moisture hopefully. I have been holding off waiting for the rain. I have a bunch of stuff that need to be planted in pots, I could do that, but I am not...kind of being lazy.

DH has bought some chickens and some ducks, they are so cute...but now he has to build a pen because if chickens get in my flowers dh will be in big trouble, and the ducks, I sure don't want them in my tiny water garden...rofl, and they might eat my fish... He has no idea what kind of chickens he bought, or ducks...he is something else. The ducks are in a clear plastic storage box, up on a shelf, our basset hound is just glued to that area watching...

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9103238

Oh, chickens and ducks! I don't think their allowed here in this city, but they'd be good pets and having free eggs would be great, happ! Lotsa rain here too, I'm glad, no watering for a while!

Here is the Hall's Honeysuckle gonna be blooming some white flowers! Next time I won't get so much green from other trees in the background of that plant.

How do you like how I tied up the 'Satisfaction' Lily Trees with twine, to help protect them from the strong wind hopefully.

Here's my Red Lily clump from Pepper on the left in the photo, it should be blooming some red flowers pretty soon. That's one of the Purple Coneflower clumps next to it.

The next time I show a photo of these there will hopefully be mulch there. I plan to get more cedar mulch this week.

I'd like to get my houseplants outside as well. Now that the sun is more overhead or something, they get no sun, also the leaves on the trees outside could also be blocking it from coming in.

Here's some Hollyhocks that I grew from seeds, they are either the multi-colored Summer Carnival or the glorious black Hollyhock from Seedrack.com. I just gotta wait on those to see which is which because the labels faded bad over the Winter. They are just behind the Red Lily and the Coneflower plant, they get mulch soon too.

Lastly, here is a wide view of the whole thing, over on the left you can see the Hollyhocks behind the Red Lily and the Coneflower. In front of the Red Lily and the Coneflower is a Hydrangea, then all the way in the front is a Soapwort next to the water and a 'Munstead' Lavender left of it. Further back there is a Japanese Barberry and in the blue fish is a Speedwell 'Veronica'. The tree is my 8 year old American Persimmon. WWayyy.. back there, the red tree is a dissected Weeping Japanese Maple, next to that is a Dwarf Mugo Pine (little), right of that is a Colorado Blue Spruce 'Globosa'. Behind that, and hard to see is a Butterfly Bush 'Nanho Blue', in the other blue fish is a Soapwort, Hall's Honeysuckle going up the clothesline-post, 2 yellow Water Irises in the water, there's more over to the right, and out of good sight and sight, but it's harder to see.
Also, the photo that I look at offline is about 10 times larger. If DG uploaded actual size photos their servers would probably always be crashed!
Will

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2012
3:18 AM

Post #9103438

52/70/50
Through 10am: Low clouds, fog and poor visibility conditions will improve by 7am.
Cloudy skies early, followed by partial clearing. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Thanks Happ!
I feel stronger but am still hacking :o(
OHHH, I'll bet they are adorable! My earliest memory is at 2 years old, walking across the road to the chicken house to see the baby chicks Dad bought. I love them to this day!
And eat everything in sight they will. At least they scratch it out of the ground to eat the bugs you disturbed planting it. DD had three ducks and is down to one. He sleeps in the chicken house with the chickens. You will need a small wading pool for them to get in and out of.
LOVE the basset hound watching, LOL!

Yep Will,
The eggs are bonus. The duck eggs are creamy and make good cakes.
The honeysuckle looks great and tying up the lilies is smart. Boy they got tall fast! The mulch is going to make a big difference. It's all really filling in! Looking good!

Yesterday, IT RAINED AGAIN!! We got 7/10'' on top of the 8/10'' and I am so happy! The weather is warm all week with no more freezing temps. Flowers are going to pop!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9103624

Will the garden is really coming together. You should be proud, the mulch will just dresss it all up. Be careful on your tree not to put mulch up on the trunk, it can cause all kinds of problems. I know you see landscape companies do it all the time but you don't want the volcano look, really hard on trees. Keeps moisture ont he bark which can cause rot and/or bugs easy access.

We got lots of great rain yesterday and I sure could of slept in today...in fact I did, came into work later than normal.

Got the side boards for my pergala, DH has to help me put those up because they are too big to do by myself, but he is really busy working on the septic tank and a couple of other things, so I am patiently waiting for him to finish up a couple of projects. As soon as we get those up I should be able to do everything myself. Cant wait.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2012

Post #9104762

Glad to hear you feel better, Sally. Thanks, I'm finally seeing some reward for the my neighbor and code-enforcement troubles! It's starting to look like that worst to first that I was hoping. Now, I need to find somewhere to put away all the miscellaneous stuff that is just sitting around everywhere. If I can just keep the cops out of the backyard I'll be happy! They've been back there three times to investigate (that I know of..lol), I would like to avoid more! I hope they feel like heels, all that supposed clutter was part of the landscaping plan. I've got a lot of plants and pots sitting around, but I find a place for them eventually. Oh well, they are only doing their jobs, I'm sure there are stubborn types that just have a big mess and refuse to clean it up.

Thanks billyp, that Hall's Honeysuckle is getting more flowers everyday. I'll post a photo that I took of it today.

Yeah, those Lily Trees grow fast and this is their first year, for the 'Satisfaction's, that were in that photo. They should get about twice that tall this year. I'm anxious to see the flowers on them. They are supposed to look like this - http://www2.brecks.com/product.asp?pn=73856 I got them last Fall from Brecks in the mail.

Thanks happ, no mulch volcanos here either, I've seen those, aren't they just ridiculous?! - http://primexgardencenter.com/trees/erupting-volcanoes-2/ Here is the Persimmon after it got some mulch today.
That Persimmon has grown on me, to quote Spock, I want it to, "live long and prosper", I'm not even a trekkie, although, I can do my fingers like Spock!

I went and got another 1.5 cubic yards of cedar mulch today and got 5 or 6 wheelbarrows full down and spread out this afternoon. I don't know what their deal is on the pricing, it was $3.75 higher than the same load last time. I didn't argue with them, I just got it and got back. I need to finish with the same supply of mulch that's already in the backyard, but I'll look for another landscape materials place. You'd think they'd give me a break after all that I've bought from them. It's not like they don't remember me (since about 2004!), I have a memorable face, I've learned that over the years! lol

Here is a wider view of the mulched area I'm working on.

Here is my rectangular planter with the Liatris coming up. Squirrels have been munching on the bulbs before they can get a chance to come up! I counted 14 (of 25..lol) that have come up! I know it's squirrels, they just leave holes where the bulbs were! That's their style, just dig a hole and get it! That Delta truckbox just holds the shovels and rakes and stuff, I've had it for years, it never was a good truckbox, it leaks. I set out some old bread and some old shelled walnuts and pecans. I did the same thing with bread and nuts by my Peach tree. I don't think the Peaches have interested them yet, but I'd like to steer them away from my stuff if I can. I watched a squirrel the other day out the window, it was just jumping from one pot to the next, rooting around.

Maybe you can show a photo of your pergola when you get done, happ. That's alot of mulch you got there, that many bags is nothing to sneeze at, only 14 is a cubic yard, which is a bunch of mulch! - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070512053812AAnqBH2 it's nice to know somebody else is laboring with a ton of mulch! lol

Here is my $6 variegated Liriope, I intend to shovel all that dirt outta there before I mulch there, I'm not giving the dastardly weeds a place to take root if I can. I'm looking forward to that Liriope getting big and bushing all out.

Thanks for the kind words guys, the backyard is taking shape after 3 years or so!

Will

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 9:34 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9105041

45/76/61
Through 10am: Light rain developing around mid-morning. Mostly cloudy with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 60s. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch.
This Afternoon: Some clouds and possibly an isolated thunderstorm this afternoon. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Happ,
The chance to sleep in should be taken as much as possible, LOL! I still have a trace of headaches and debated going back myself.

Will,
Any mess can be stacked or lined up. The trick is to not leave them out in the yard that way.
I can't wait to see your liliies bloom too. I don't know anyone who has them.
Wow, overkill on the ''mounding of the mulch'' example, LOL!
Sheesh, I guess they are covering costs by upping the mulch. What a shame.
The squirrels will go for your peaches when they are just about ripe. Too bad they got into the liatris. I've never seen that before.
Well, you've done a lot of work and it looks nice! It just takes a while for things to get big and really show off.
That's really nice mulch!
Yep, it's really shaping up! Get the rest of the mulch on and it will change instantly!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9105253

I have heard putting semi large wire screen over the bulbs will keep the squirrels from digging up the bulbs, big enough for the stalks to come up but small enough to keep the squirrels from getting to the bulbs, I don't know if it works because I don't have squirrels, I am an island in the middle of a bean field, there are squirrels in the tree row by the creeks, but not on my isalnd...rofl. No one will be able to complain about your garden this summer because it is really coming together.

I found my camera last night, took pictures, and promptly lost the camera again...ughhhhh, how does this happen...Will have to retrace my footsteps, I went to the garden room to water maybe I sit it down there, hope so because we got rain somethime last night.

This is the earliest I have a daylily blooming, actually started in April, then now there are big buds on my lilies, roses are blooming, geehz by summer unless these guys keep blooming for a very long time I am not going to have anything in bloom...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9106232

New thread for May!! This thread is CLOSED!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255619/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America