Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

April 2012-Too early for the heat!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

New thread for April!!!!

I'll have new pics to post later this week. So this one has to stand empty. Sorry!! LOL

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I'm here. Sorry for posting on the other link.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Crit, I've always had good luck with Coneflowers from the seed packets. I put mine in a pot of dirt and cover them up about a half inch or so, not much, it probably isn't the right depth but it has always worked for me. I've never bought a Coneflower plant. In my experience Coneflowers will droop after only one day without water, I don't think they could go extended periods of drought in a pot or container of dirt. I'd like to someday have an area about 10 feet square just in Purple Coneflowers, definitely in the sun so lots of flowers!
Thanks, you reminded me that a friend gave me tons of Purple Coneflower seeds last Sept. (very late Sept.) I'll be curious to see if they sprout, if they do I'll send you some with the ROS.
WitchHazel is still available at the state nursery, 25 seedlings for $8, maybe somebody in Joplin would have them sent to their house and you could reimburse and get them there, (it's MO. residents only). I'd be glad to have them sent here but it wouldn't be such a good deal for you after shipping from here to there. - http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all
scroll about 2/3's down to see Ozark WitchHazel, ordering only available until April 15th.
Will

Thanks Will !!!

Your welcome! Oh, I forgot to say about the Coneflowers that I never expected them to sprout the year that I planted them. They always went the Winter outside in a pot for the cold spell first.
For ex. if I got them in July of this year I wouldn't expect them to come up until the next Spring if sowed outside or in a pot outside. I don't know if Ehow is an authority on seeds but they seem to tell stuff pretty good it seems - http://www.ehow.com/way_5672610_do-flower-seeds-need-stratfied_.html Actually, what I have done before, if you buy the seed packet early enuff, say May, then you can put them in the fridge for 90 days or so and they will likely sprout in the Fall. I usually just sprinkle seeds in a pot outside (and lightly cover up with dirt), and wait till the next Spring myself though.
That reminds me that the Coneflower seeds that I think about now were in the garage over the Winter. I thought they'd get enuff cold in there but the Winter was so mild that I'm not sure now, there's no green in those 2 pots. It stays a little warmer in the garage and it may have been too warm. Although, I haven't really scrutinized the pots for them yet. I may get Coneflower seeds from her and try it again this year, she has Purple Coneflowers everywhere.

That ROS is greening up more every day.
I hope it doesn't do like I've seen before on a few cuttings, where they get little leaves for a while and make you think they are gonna be fine then the leaves dry up and fall off and the cutting is dead!

I looked closer in the pots that I suspected that the Purple Coneflower seeds might have been in and this one out of about 12 pots had some little seedlings coming up in them. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it's the Coneflower seedlings, the label in there even says Cone, I am cautiously optimistic! I've been fooled by little seedlings before, it could just be weeds, but if they turn into little pointed leaves like Purple Coneflowers, that will be a good sign indeed! I put down some more weed fabric today! I am getting closer to the big mulch day or days!

I Googled Echinacea Purpurea seedlings and they appear to resemble the ones in this photo, so I'm hopeful! - http://www.google.com/imgres?q=echinacea+purpurea+seedlings&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1C1CHHJ_enUS400US401&biw=1920&bih=947&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=wSxdUWBscRGMAM:&imgrefurl=http://torontogardening.blogspot.com/2009/03/echinacea-purpurea-seedlings-looking.html&docid=uGCxbyb0C-4lFM&imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y_vbHJBaX3c/SdLDqpdKvSI/AAAAAAAAAi4/I4Lgq1EiH-M/s400/Echinacea%252Bpurpurea.JPG&w=400&h=300&ei=wFd6T6CpHaWL0QGb2Jz2Aw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=187&vpy=57&dur=696&hovh=179&hovw=239&tx=141&ty=97&sig=118209040957246920607&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=176&start=0&ndsp=49&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

If they get more conical and veined in the next few days then I'll be pretty sure!

This message was edited Apr 2, 2012 8:55 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
(Zone 5a)

54/76/47
Some sun this morning with increasing clouds this afternoon. Warm. W winds shifting to N at 10 to 20 mph.

Will,
The lilac looks great! Very sturdy, It should grow up in no time. The rest of the plants look good too.
Smiling, that's a grackle. Not quite as big as a crow, and we usually never see them drink.
I would have been in the tree before your Dad, LOL! Did you take them home, or have the recorder with you? Neat story either way :o)
Wow, a brand new wagon?
Oh, a Red Flier! What a shame to have to get rid of it. It really looks good from the top.
You know, the red phlox would look really good in the fish too. Both colors would pop.
Put netting over the blueberry bushes. No sense in letting the birds have any!
Nice witch hazel and the bulbs and daylily look great! Next ten photos all look good!

Happ,
Drooling over your nursery shopping! I see pictures of new plants this year from everyone.

Pepper,
I'll bet the suprise trip was so much fun. Especially since you already knew you were going, LOL!!

Will,
I put down black mulch too, so don't feel bad. It was nice while the color was new :o)

Crit,
I think you could have just thrown the coneflower seeds in the bed and they would have started.

Thanks for the new thread Pepper,

With the exceptional weather I've been outside all day. My arms are tan and even tho I had sunscreen on yesterday, my shoulders got a bit red. Good news is, all the dandelions gone from some of my flower beds and I've mowed the whole yard :o)

Saturday night we heard a HUGE boom at 8:30 pm. We went outside to look around. Two neighbors were out also. One a first responder. The next day we found out a house in the country, in another town exploded, a little over 15 miles away as the crow flies. No one was home and rumors are it was a meth house.

It rattled our windows! I was looking here, to make sure everyone's house was ok, and there was lightning way north of us, but I sat outside for a half hour and it never made a sound. We thought it might have been a stray bolt, but I knew it wasn't.

The rhubarb is close to being ready to pick. I got a tub out of the freezer and made a rhubarb custard pie yesterday. We each had a piece and then a second. Half a pie gone in minutes, LOL!

My small intermediate iris are starting to bloom. I can't believe the weather we are having!!

I took this the other day after we got back from a jeep ride :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

Awww.. a little bunny rabbit at Easter time! You must not have feral cats everywhere! Well, I took back four dead and dying houseplants to Walmart and got nearly twenty dollars.
They even beat me out of a dollar at customer service but the lady was done so I just let it go. I may have said something like, "just give it to the Walton heirs", I'm terrible I know!

I got a bag of 25 Liatris Spicata bulbs. I wanted something to plant in this big rectangular planter that I built nearly 2 years ago. 25 bulbs was just right, some of the other plants that I was looking at only had 3 bulbs I was like "no way, that isn't going to work". I almost bought a bag of 20 Gladiolus bulbs, but I preferred all that solid purple in Liatris and perennial to the Glads multi-colors and I wasn't sure annual or perennial.

Yeah, it's a new wagon, years ago the elderly, disabled lady was really into Radio Flyer stuff. I remember even for Christmas like 14 years ago I got her all these miniature Radio Flyer wagons and bicycles and stuff, even a Radio Flyer wheelbarrow. Just give me an empty toilet bowl to put flowers in and I'm good. I set that old wagon out by the curb for our bulky item pick up and even before they came a guy down the street stopped (I was out in the yard) and asked if he could have it, he recycles metal. He does that for a living I think, I always see his truck full on the street. He agreed it was done too. I told him it doesn't even roll anymore!
It was about to fall apart, the axles were barely hanging on from all the rust and rot. I was having to pick it up even last year to mow and I'm too old to be picking up wagons full of dirt.

I've seen from just driving around some really big Lilac bushes. What have I done?! I'm gonna have to dig one up and give them more room. Here is my 'James Macfarlane' pink Lilac. -
The other regular Lilac will probably be the monster. It will prolly be the only one that I'll need to move. It's the one without a label on it.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

At 2:33 am I was awake in my bed and watch TV that I felt earthquake shook my bed so I check the USGS sure it pretty weak around here and here's the link you see where that at:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/usc0008uyu.php

See the blue square box that where earthquake hit:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/32.42.-100.-90.php

There is 800 response report:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/c0008uyu/us/index.html

Oh I just hate earthquake again like I was living in Southern California!

This message was edited Apr 3, 2012 4:12 PM

Ack! This is Missouri, I don't want no steenking earthquake! I read the article, glad it was only 4.0 on the Richter Scale.

I got the 25 Liatris all planted up in the big planter. After I cut the corners off with my trusty circular saw. I hadn't planned to do that until the last minute, I finally concluded that it looked too goofy the way it was with the ends being about 2 inches lower than the front and back, so I cut the front and back corners off! Here is my progression of photos and the Liatris. I hope the Liatris turns out nice, my housemate here says she hasn't heard of it, and she didn't like the picture of them on the package! I think she's just being contrare, they are plenty nice!
Here is a random shot of the waterpond, (as it started to sprinkle heavily)!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I spoke too soon about the "demise" of the Banana 'Basjoo's, they are coming up to my delight. Well, 2 of the 6 have came up. Even one of the 2 Hibiscus is back and sprouting from the base, which I guess is better than not sprouting at all. Here is the Rose-Of-Sharon cutting that I'm sending to Crit. I finally unloaded the 8 buckets of rocks out of my car. This is the second year for my Lily Trees 'Purple Prince' from Brecks. This year, I have 5 sprouts from those 3 bulbs I got! In this photo you can see where one bulb was planted yet 2 Lily Trees came up! The far one is out of the photo but it has 2 as well. That one in the middle has only one so far. Well, that's the play by play! I'm trying to ease up on all the exclamation points! It's not easy you know!
Will

(Zone 5a)

51/67/38
Partly cloudy. Winds ENE at 15 to 25 mph.

Will,
Oh but we do and one especailly is good at catching squirrels and rabbits. It's spring tho and every yard in town has a rabbit, LOL!
Good, you got most of your money back! I'm sure they aren't happy with their pay rate, compared to the Walton heirs :o)
I love liatris and a large grouping of them look best. You'll love them in the planter!
Put the lilacs where you need privacy and just let them spread out. You can dig up the suckers if it moves too far into your yard or close to the neighbor's property line. Or, just trim these right after they bloom to keep them small.

Wow Rusty,
I would hate earthquakes too. At least it was weak, but what if the next one is a lot bigger?

Will,
Wait till she sees how bright the liatris are. Spicata has a lot more rosy red than the lavender tall ones. I can't wait to see them growing in the box! Nice pictures of the boxes and nice dirt, LOL!
Hibiscus usualy take a while to show in the spring. The warm weather triggered it sooner. Give the rest time to show. No reason why they won't.

We're cooling down this week and are predicted to have 31 Thursday night. I hope the ground stays warmer than that so things aren't nipped. My little lilliput iris are starting to bloom.

BOY .... am I GLAD that I copy long threads I'm typing on occasionally!!!!! This one disappeared on me. So trying it again.

Will, you make me tired just reading about all you are doing! ^_^

Yes, the ROS start seems to be doing well. You can give a gentle tug on it and if it resists, there are roots down there. If it pulls up at all, not much there. I do that with my brugmansis starts to see if they are rooting.

Been in the 80's and one day up to 90 for the last several weeks. Low and behold, a cold front has come through and we are on ly 60* right now. Suppose to get to 71* but even that will be cool with the overcast skies. I was all ready to work on my new iris bed too. DRAT! I've gone outside several times thinking "I can do this or that", then change my mind. Guess I could put on some sweats instead of shorts and go ahead and work. Really got spoiled by the warmness. We are at our normal temps now.

Will, I was looking at the ws'ing jugs, and have some life in several of the coneflower jugs. I put them out first, so they did get some of the cold weather to jump start them. Guess I was just too impatient. Another gardener said they put whatever jugs don't come up to the side of their house and check them once in a while. Even leave them until the next spring and have had the seeds come up then.

billyp, I don't have the bed ready where I am going to put the coneflowers, so can't do the broadcast thing with the seeds.

These are some of my beds after I got them weeded. The first one I doubled in size this year from what it use to be. That is my dog Bowser in the pic. ^_^ I now have the little white metal fence up around it and some seeds planted. I am going to add some plants to it also.

The 2nd one is one of my lily beds. This runs along between the house and the sidewalk.

The 3rd pic is of one of my hosta beds. It also has 3 rose bushes and some ajuga in it.

The 4th is a pic of beds along the front of the house. I'm going to dig the daffodils in those beds as it is on the east and they don't bloom well. I have put hosta and caladiums in them. May add some shade flower mix to it.

The last one is of another hosta bed that is at the end of the long beds.

I have another big lily and daylily bed in the back that I just got cleaned up but no pics. No pics either of where I am going to make another flower bed in the back.

I have some red poppies blooming. They are seeds I left in the tub last year after they bloomed, then I plant summer flowers in it so I get double duty out of it. I don't think any of the other poppies I planted in Feb-March are going to make it because it got so hot. :-(

Well, that's about all for now.

Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit

I have so much to do outside it's not funny. I'm having a cookout next weekend and no time to weed or plant. I worked a couple hours today helping unload plants at work and now I'm working Sunday because we are shorthanded for our Zarda BBQ event. I'm gonna get crossed eyed here pretty quick!! LOL

Man these Water Irises grow fast.

Here is a BIG bucket of what could be Bamboo from all over a friend's backyard, if it decides it's going to live in this big planter. There is no way I'm planting it in the ground though!
The Bamboo is a little green so my fingers are crossed! To show how little that Soapwort was last year, here it is in June 2011 left of the yellow pot, not that small now. And the other one in the top left corner, thanks Pepper!
Will

edited to say Water Irises, I had Waterlilies..lol

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 10:19 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Thanks billyp. Tonite I put that planter box in the border. Hopefully in a couple weeks or so it'll spring the Liatris forth! Haha, it's okay dirt, you know how it is you put the so-so good soil on the bottom up to nearly the top then put on about 2 inches of potting soil to fool everybody! I've trademarked that so sorry you can't do it! I uploaded 3 photos of the Rose bush so there is more than 1 blurry one!

I'm not sure but could these Rose buds be flowers in wait?! Unfortunately the buds are the most blurry things in the photos. The Rose happ gave me might be getting ready to bloom!

You've been busy yourself there, Crit! Nice landscaping, I see you do rocks too Crit! I figured out what ws'ing is, it is Winter Sowing jugs! Cool Crit, you might have the sought after Purple Coneflowers! Thanks, I may try that with the ROS, altho with my luck I may kill it!

How about this little plant of Soapwort in the fish, it just gets nicer everyday!

I have alot to do outside myself, even tho I've done alot lately, there is alot more to do, I hope the cops don't come and give us a $100 fine before I can finish!

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 9:10 PM

(Zone 5a)

46/62/30
Mostly cloudy skies this morning will become partly cloudy this afternoon. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph.

Crit,
I never do a thread without notepad. Even if I accidently lose it, I can usually hit undo and get it back :o)
I hear you. If the temps drop I'm ready to put a stocking cap back on. I almost can't bear the cold wind in my face.
I hear you on not having a bed ready too.
Nice beds! Love Bowser too!
Smiling over the picture you took and managed to NOT get your reflection :o)
Yep, you have great beds around the house!

Pepper,
There are days like that. The good thing is, when the weeds get big and you pull them, it really looks like you've done something. I've weeded, but the small flower foliage still looks like weeds.

Will,
I was watching Victory Garden yesterday and they mentioned your Bamboo. It is greening up :o)
Can't wait to see your pond in bloom this year!
The liatris will grow in wet ditches, so keep it watered off and on, even tho they say it's drought tolerent I've found it really isn't. Same with the sedum and coneflowers. They like a little water too.
Smiling. I think the cops crossed you off their list :o)
The planter box fits in there perfectly! I hope all the bulbs grow.
Everything looks good!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hello I was wondering if shortleaf about the roomate convo had heard of blazing stars. Same thing ,the Liatris, they sell those in the dollar store here. I'm working on getting the white ones to grow.

I've always heard grubworms were bad for gardens, and I think Will said something about stepping on them, but I never knew WHY they were bad. Can you tell me?

This planter box has made quite a transition, and it only took a little under 2 years, see the photos..haha!

Grubworms eat on plants' roots. - http://www.ehow.com/info_8267274_grubs-bad-garden.html I named a cat Grubworm!

Thanks billyp, I hope that pond blooms this year. Really, I'm just happy if a plant has green leaves, flowers is a bonus! If the Waterlily decides to bloom this year in the pond, I am buying a lottery ticket! Oh, I water alright! In the Summer I water everyday, I think that's been my not so secret to keeping stuff alive that I get, because I have had hundreds of pots to the neighbor's and code enforcement's dismay. Oh, the Bamboo in the red/orange planter pot is an unknown Bamboo, my other Bamboos (Phyllostachys Bissetii) are coming along back there in the kitty litter buckets. I don't think their too happy about the pots they are in, but they are adapting, they seem to be developing pretty good bamboo shoots so far. I intend to trim them to only 4 to 6 feet high or so, so the roots don't suffer too much from being in such a small space. You can see them in the kitty litter buckets here, I dug a hole for them, they don't stick up much.
I hope the cops look elsewhere for trashy yards in this city, they are here for sure! This yard just has an unorganized and messy look while it's under my long term construction.
It hasn't looked very good, that's for sure, but I have big landscaping plans for it.
I used to use Notepad but the posts always came out narrow and long looking.

Hi juhur7, welcome, They are called Blazing Stars too?! I saw another name besides that one in reading about them on the web - "Gay feather"! - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/86/#b
After I got purple I saw there is an Alba or white Liatris. I plan to kinda change up the plants and/or flowers in the planter box. I'd love to have the white Liatris in there someday, maybe white then purple then white or something like that. I still like the purple, I'm going to give it a go first. Walmart had a bag of 25 Liatris bulbs for $5.38. Home Depot had not such a good deal on them, I saw them there yesterday there - 20 roots for $6.98, I'll hafta go check out Dollar General's selection.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The Liatris are about 2.50 for 15 or 18 bulbs not so bad after all.Am only begining to get more from seeds,look better in bunches don't they?That about price was about the dollar store.
Giant bamboo just getting started,your nightmare, my garden stakes and trellises.

Thumbnail by juhur7
(Zone 5a)

33/62/36/
Plentiful sunshine. Winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph.

Juhur,
I had a white volunteer and it grew a couple of years before I lost it. It seems like I ordered another, but to be honest, I'm not sure I have one now, LOL!!

Crit,
Most grubworms eat roots. In the grass, you can pull just back the grass they've eaten the roots of. They aren't the same as it iris grubs, which is why only the imitripiclid (sp?) works on them. There is another for the lawn.

Will,
Nice link on the grubs.
I'm sure the bamboo want's to put out runners. It will be interesting to see if they live in captivity.
For notepad, I go to format and use the font ''Times New Roman.'' Also set it to ''word wrap'' for continous writing.

Yep, all three names for Liatris.

Juhur,
Yes. the more liatris in a bunch the better. I just love them and move them all over. I have the tall lavender ones too which woulf be more of the Gayfeatheer. There are more kinds than just these two.

My neighbor called me last night. She had been talking to the nursery that comes out to planrt trees for her. They told her our 30 temps shouldn't hurt anything. I'm waiting for sun-up to see.

Thanks for the link on grubs Will. I am now informed!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Just recently getting started with the white one's.I'LL be starting the white later this summer from seed. Have some planted now only I don't expect to see them for some time.
I lost my bannana plant tree year before last,we had water up to the front porch about an inch from coming in the house.Stting in all that water they rotted and died.All that wasn't as good for the garden either,I got one cherry tomato plant to live and one melon plant.
billporter; thank you for the flower info I knew about some bloom difference only not that there was more than those.
My tomatoes all breezed through last night ,Be back in three or four days with the pics.More frost and freeze for tonight and three more days forecasting frost Waiting till after it happens.Nice today though 60 degrees and sunny.

Haha! I like to be informed too! I rely on others to tell me what I don't know, which is alot!

Thanks billyp, I do quite a bit of Googling myself and I have grown to like Ehow. Although, I don't dare use Ehow in Scrabble!
Oh, word wrap never occurred to me before, but I wonder if it still pastes to DG okay? I hope that Bamboo prospers, my friend really likes some Bamboo.

I manned up and bought a 4 x 8 sheet of waferboard at Home Depot and brought it home on top of the Dodge Durango. I tied it down good because I did not want it to blow off on the way home. It was only $11, so I wanted it bad, the shed will look so much better after I repair it.
Fortunately, it never budged an inch up there, it helps when you only average 30 mph. I knew I could do it, my friend was the pessimistic one about that, not me so much. Now, I can repair the worst side of the red shed. She was right to be concerned about transporting a waferboard sheet that big (on a windy day), but it needed to be done and I was pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem. She wanted me to get her something, so I got her a green Coral Bells called 'Birkin' there.

Here is that Rose of Sharon, the leaves are taking the shape of an ROS. I noticed another little leaf on the main stem of the cutting, I was hoping it would leaf up too.
Here is a 'Sum And Substance' Hosta of mine in a big pot.
Here is a 'Blue Angel' Hosta in a pot. Here is the biggest one so far of my 6 Banana 'Basjoo's to come up, in the black mulch (that I promised to remove, not the Banana, the black mulch).
And that's one of the volcanic lava rocks that was going to help add a tropical look to my "tropical spot". It'll still be tropical hopefully but minus the black mulch is all. I want to grass seed the heck out of that spot now, when the black mulch is all gone, not looking forward to shoveling, raking and just picking it up, I'll prolly need to use a pushbroom too!
Will

This message was edited Apr 6, 2012 9:23 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, use cardboard to help control weeds. Then put mulch on top of that. Much cheaper than plastic (FREE!!) especially if you go to a store and ask them to save boxes for you. Just make sure that you cover what you lay down quickly so neighbors don't start complaining again. lol. That's what I'm gonna do to my veggie garden and my former chicken pen area so I can control weeds and still plant.

I got some cardboard down, not as much as I'd like tho. Oh, it's too late for cardboard not to look bad to somebody. It has been on the ground I'm afraid for months without mulch on it yet.
I'm sure it added to a trashy appearance. Neighbors probably thought my Bamboo was weed (marijuana) and the cardboard on the ground was trash. That's a BIG water-tank box that I got from the neighbor last Summer. I even took photos of it back in the day! Here is one half of it recently, (I cut it in half). I didn't plan on waiting this long to cover up the cardboard, but it'll get covered up eventually!

Edited to say, ironically, that's also the side of the shed that I'm repairing soon.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2012 10:36 PM

It's ALIVE! lol Looking good there Will.

Alll my hosta's (except S&S) are just peeking out of the ground. I'm so glad to see them all coming back after last years heat.

Thanks Crit! The Banana's are coming around! That Blue Angel up there has to be by far the biggest Hosta so far. That pic doesn't do it justice, that pot planter it's in is big.
That Sum And Substance right up there is the same one that I was showing you in the other photo, this is a much more recent photo and I got the label in the photo.
Will

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 7:02 PM

I had enough cardboard to cover about half of the veggie bed. So on Tuesday, our next truck day, I will get some more to finish. I pulled what chickweed I could and got it thinned out. Now to cover the rest of garden and cut holes to plant my veggies.

I forgot to mention. I have lost 2 roses to this mild winter it appears. Climbing Don Juan and climbing Golden Showers. I will try ordering my roses from Pickering or Palatines from now on. I have 2 roses coming in here pretty soon so will see how they do. I'm gonna amend their spots too so that hopefully will help them. Both were on north side of the house. My climbing Peace, Knockouts and Blue Girl are all doing great though. And Queen Elizabeth looks good but I think I need to bury her so maybe she will sprout more canes.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

pepper23; I have some cardboard under mulch on one my tomato beds.That works real nice as long as you get it mulched good if not everything burns up because it gets hot!, hot!,hot!, under that doesn't it?
I'll get around to using it for daylillies and bamboo.It is one of the better older ideas and good luck with roses,do we get pics later to see them?

I had a bunch of boxes outside just waiting to be put down, but I think they were on the list for the cops to look at as something that needed to be removed. I'm not sure, but when they came to inspect, they pulled up right in view of that cardboard that I had stacked up to use as weedblock and it was gone when they looked so maybe that was their items of interest, they only stayed a couple minutes to look. They might be a bit confused by all the black weed fabric that is down, it must look bad. I think they've moved on. Now, I just hope they catch whoever it is that's ringing doorbells at 4 in the morning! If you don't get cardboard down for weedblock right away in a residential area, I think it looks trashy maybe!

I think mild Winters can just have that effect on Roses, the same thing happened to 3 that I had just got from Springhill year before last. It wasn't the Winter so much but I think the same principle.
I stored them and most everything else in pots in the garage, come to find out, after the Winter was over, there is a heat vent in there that is open. I am kinda sure it kept the garage too warm and many things didn't go dormant and they expired for lack of water. That's my opinion anyway. My friend here still reminds me about the Magic Roses that I killed! Just yesterday she was telling me how she likes Magic Roses and we had 3 of them. Roses are so expensive, sorry to hear that Pepper. We are really looking forward to the one happ gave us it is doing very well.

Here is my shade garden tonite, it is coming along good. My latest acquisition is from Home Depot yesterday, a Coral Bells 'Birkin', it's in the pot. Boy, I wish all Hostas were as stunning as 'June' is! It's in the pot there, I am wondering if I have enuff room for it in the middle. I am glad that I have two of them, that June should be very proud whereever she is!

My Grandma just has an awesome climbing red Rose at their house and as long as I remember it's always been there, I'll post a pic of it I took last year.
Will

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 8:23 PM

I plan on mulching my cardboard and putting it on thick!! LOL. I'm hoping it makes it where we don't have to till it anymore.

Pics are coming!! I'm trying to catch up on weeds so pics fall on back burner right now. Especially with all the bare holes that need seed tossed on them. But I started taking a couple today and hopefully later in the week I can post some. I have an iris open right now and my tree peony is blooming still too.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

shortleaf; This is part where I get to tell you a story from some time ago,When I lived in a maor city with lots of people near.I built some raised beds for small vegetables,the city agents like your cops came by.Investigating a body dissapearance, they began poking rods through my beds(that was without asking or saying a word).I 'm not sure to this day if they really were cops or not but i'm sure they were detectives.(pretty sure anyway).
And no, I wasn't hiding any bodies, neither had Ikilled anyone.I suppose when everyone's close together and doesn't really know what another is like some just have to press to be in everybody's biz. I could tell you the beds were longer than usual and why I built them only that's another story.
pepper 23' always in favor of less work myself,and my iris won't be blooming for a couple of weeks or so.

Ack! Cops poking the garden with rods?! Juhur buries folks in the garden! Just kidding, but that would be pretty nuts right there. I guess at least they didn't bring a corpse sniffing dog into your garden to dig it all up, I think I woulda sued, what a violation any way they did it. The city I'm in (Sugar Creek) actually only has a population of 4,000 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Creek,_Missouri not alot of people here, but they are close, oddly enuff Sugar Creek borders Kansas City on the East. This isn't a very prosperous area, unfortunately people are proud of their drugs and such around here.

(Zone 5a)

35/68/38
Plenty of sunshine. Winds W at 15 to 25 mph.

Oh Juhur,
Did the water stay long enough to do any damage?

Will,
I used to have to fix the post because they would paste in short bursts. Now even tho my notepad is only 2'' to 3'' wide over to the side of my webpage, it all pastes perfectly. All I have to do is correct my spelling. I don't hit the keys well, LOL!

Getting the shed fixed and painted will be great! I'm not suprised that you didn't lose it, LOL!

Speaking of tropical, Hawaii does have the black sand, LOL! I'm not sure what to do about my black mulch. I think just covering it will be a better solution rather than taking it up. You might save yourself some work doing that.
Nice looking plants, and lava rock!

Big boxes are hard to come by. DH used them to lay under the car and change the oil.

Pepper, if it's dry, you can hoe and rake up the chickweed. If it's wet, yep, cover it!

Wow! I know we can't have Don Juan here because of the zone, but what a shame you lost it. It's a beautiful rose!

Will,
If you were going to get ticketed for the yard they would have done it that day. You are in the clear. Just keep on cleaning and planting and fixing and the neighbors will eventually look trashy :o)

June is a nice hosta nd the coral bells are so big! Nice!!
Wow! Gorgeous rose!! You shold try rooting a tip of it. It sure would be a great memory plant of her.

Juhur,
All I watch on TV are CSI and Criminal minds. You can't leave me hanging with a great story like that, LOL!! Now, why di you raise them and why WERE the beds longer than usual?

Will,
Interesting history on your town.

I walked the flower beds and the only frost damage I had was to the butterfly bush. The leaves on top had blackened patches, but I don't think it will affect any blooms. Naturally it's out way too early. Everything else looked great and the bleeding hearts are blooming away!

The little lilliput iris are also all coming into bloom and are a nice show of color. Add that to green green grass and it's looking good here!

I had hung clothes out yesterday morning and was going to mow after dinner. We had a piddling rain move in and ruin that. So, I'll be working out today. I really need the exercise. I haven't done much since we had the boys. We walked, but they don't power walk, LOL!

Have a sunny Sunday everyone!!

I took these the other day and more has bloomed so I really need more pictures, LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

shortleaf The city as was mentioning was say 230,000 when I moved there and was about 2 to 3 million when I left.The one i'm at is about 50,000 and shrinking.

billyporter; Water being what it is always does some damage.One can only reply with maybe 'yeah but where would we be without it'
My story for building the garden beds is because they were on a sloping hill.Two sides that came together making a pond in the backyard.So I got a large truckful of earth and while filling in where the water ran to I found that it would flow by the beds raised up with drainage channels placed at either end. Elongated there was less erosion and the water ceased to flow downhill.
Ok,anticlimatic huh,would you like to here one from the sixties or sventies when I met John Gacey or farther back during a foriegn vaction when I walked past Mohmar Khadafie and his major named Hussein.

I think it would be better to stay with the idea of the thread though, so my tomatoes and vegies all look pretty good so far.The first three days of the week coming we are expecting freezing temps. I'll be back with a couple of pics and questions then.

I had a Queen Elizabeth when my kids were growing up that had the largest, best smelling flowers!!!! Poor thing, the kids would crawl through the railings on the deck to catch the bus and tromple all over her. Then when she started to grow in the spring it wasn't so bad and by May when school was about out, my son would take a bouquet to a friend of his whose b'day was the end of May. She always looked forward to that. After schoo was out the bush grew like wild fire! I did nothing special for her, unless you count ignoring. LOL I have another one at the other house I am going to get starts from. I need to go prune all those and get starts before it gets to far into spring. Oh wait, it's only April .... plenty of time. ^_^

My mother always loved the Blaze Climbing red rose. It was one of her favorite climbers. Her favorite bush rose was Fragrent Cloud, and I have one here at the new house, in memory of her. She thought it would be a white rose, but is a coral red and smells heavenly!

Dreary here today. Only day that we don't have a chance of rain is Tuesday. I started to replace the iris that were here and I dug up to move because they didn't bloom. Now it is really rainy.

(Zone 5a)

42/62/29
Windy with sunshine. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph

Juhur,
ROTFL! Anticlimatic, but interesting none the less. You had me at truckful of earth, LOL!!

Oh I don't know. Your stories sound pretty interesting!

Crit,
That's pretty good testimony for Queen Elizabeth. I find myself wanting one and wondering if my zone is too cold. Is it a hybrid tea?

My Mom had Blaze too and it was pretty!

I had Fragrant Cloud and it eventually died :o(

Luckily iris can stay out of the ground for a while if it hs to. Just wet the roots to keep it fresh. Or did you get it planted?

We have a freeze warning tonight and I hope the weather liars are so wrong!

Yesterday I mowed and we finally dug out the four corners of the new driveway and sidewalk. I planted one corydalis in each corner and mulched with the black mulch we bought last fall. I have four bags left to top off the hosta bed, which is the next work in progress. The corydalis came from there and I pottted up 8 or so for the free pile. I still have that many lining another bed, LOL! One sickly plant saved from Walmart many many years ago....

Thumbnail by billyporter

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.