Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Native Plants and Wild Plants: Everything seems so early!

Communities > Forums > Native Plants and Wild Plants
bookmark
Forum: Native Plants and Wild PlantsReplies: 7, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NativeVA
Craig Co., VA
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9066436

At least in my neck of the woods, everything is jumping out of the ground a lot earlier than usual. I guess the mild winter kept the ground from freezing hard so it warmed up early and all the wildflowers are popping! How about where you live?

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9066905

Up here on the extreme northern Virginia border many plants are a good 2 to 3 weeks ahead of normal.
l6blue
Coon Rapids, MN
(Zone 4b)

April 2, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9066908

Usually at this time of year we still have snow cover, but that's all long gone. I have plants several inches high that in a typical spring wouldn't be up for another five or six weeks. My hepatica are in full bloom, and they ordinarily start here in early May. If you go into your yard looking for blooms based on when you usually see them, you might miss your spring ephemerals.
NativeVA
Craig Co., VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9067946

We have redbud and dogwood blooming at the same time! It's very pretty!

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9067975

Everything is here at least a month early. My hepatica and trilliums are blooming right now, and a new bloodwort bloomed 3 weeks ago! Crocuses only lasted three days, and the azaleas were done in two.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9074875

The California poppies are blooming everywhere. I'm going to have millions of seeds if they continue like this through Summer. Definately early this year.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9129494

Early to rise, but our spring is lasting longer this year as well, seems as if the flowers just keep blooming and seeding, days are hot, but the evenings are so cool!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9129861

I definately think Spring is coming and going in record time. All of my iris have finished blooming and the daylilies are all going off at one time. I've been out tying soap to plants in the flower garden to keep the deer at bay. Our weather has been perfect, in the mid 70's, slight breeze. I wish this could last forever, but I know the Summer heat is just around the corner.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Native Plants and Wild Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
FREE Florida DOT Wildflowers!! sungrasses 3 Apr 10, 2010 9:10 PM
The Dead Lawn Society BloomsWithaView 257 May 22, 2008 8:45 PM
Variegated Skunk Cabbage Penn_Pete 10 Mar 16, 2008 3:39 PM
Joe Pye is heading for the sky. raydio 51 Oct 18, 2008 11:16 PM
Native Plant Nurseries Equilibrium 97 Apr 4, 2008 4:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America