Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Should I transplant my broccoli?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 11, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9066657

I have broccoli seedlings which I started 2/15. They have been hardening off for about a week, but still look rather weak. They're about 2 1/2-3" tall and have 4-6 leaves. They'll be going in a raised bed. I am in Zone 6b. Any advice?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9066747

None but plant away, they'll adjust soon as established, and like cool nites and warm days so it shouldn't be too hot for you yet

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9066843

Transplant them as soon as possible.

First make holes where they are to go. Fill each hole with water and let it drain. Add fertilizer to the holes and stir it in really, really well.

Lift your seedlings with a trowel, taking as much as the soil they are in as you can. Carefully place each plant in a hole, and pull up soil around the stems. It's okay to set them a little deeper than they originally grew.

Each broccoli should be at least 18" inches (preferably 24") from it's neighbor as they grow really big when they are well fed.

Once they are established, feed them every two weeks.

When the main head is large enough, cut it, but leave a stem with some leaves. You will get lots of side shoots with "florets"

You'll soon have more broccoli than you know what to do with!
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9066896

Go ahead and put them out. Watch out for cabbage worms. They hide real well and a salt water bath before cooking doesn't always fluch them out. The only sure thing is to put row covers over them.

Thumbnail by yardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9066901

Bee,
What do you do with your broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower cuttings at the end of your growing season? I have this humongous smelly pile of bagged broccoli cuttings in the side yard of my house (thank God you can only smell it if you're over there!!!). I intended to use them in the compost pile, but I had NO IDEA how putrid a smell they can give off. Extremely odiferous!!

I spent all day Saturday drilling holes in three trash cans to make composting bins in that side yard. I layered some bagged leaves, and some of the broccoli cuttings in two of the cans. The Third can will remain empty so I can dump can #2 into can #3, then can #1 into can #2, then reverse the process so it's all mixed and aerated. I figured this was easier than rolling them all over the yard. I'll just use the pitchfork.

Please LMK if it's worth it to continue saving the cuttings for the compost bin. I figured it was the lack of air that was causing them to smell. Once they're in the bins and well aerated, maybe they won't smell so rank?

Thanks

Linda

Thanks!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9066914

Linda - I throw them into the compost pile as I pull them out of the ground. My bins are away from our house and all the neighbors' houses so no one can smell anything.

I'd go ahead and put those smelly things in your bin. They'll break down eventually.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9066956

Thanks, Bee!
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9066978

Thanks for the advice everyone! Linda, I thought you'd answer for sure. . .you & I both did Arcadia Broccoli. I guess you agree with everyone else-? Broccoli is ranking'. If I put even a little piece in the crock to take out to the compost bin, my husband smells it. Luckily, the compost pile is way out in back of the house.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9067533

Peggy,
No, I don't agree with everyone! But, they seemed so definitive, I started doubting my instincts, and backed off. But, I hear my Mother's voice in the background, saying, "to thine OWN self be true...". So, here's my take on things. And, hugs to you in advance, Sweetie, for considering my opinion worthy.

IF IT WERE ME (disclaimer), I'd say, "these wee seedlings look like they could stand a bit more beefing up before I send 'em out into the big bad garden."

In my observations of the cold weather brassicas, they have a mind of their own, and they do what they want, when they want to, quite contrary to other plants like tomatoes. Subsequently, they have to be treated according to their own character.

Tomatoes are go-getters and wanna be somewhere else once they have 4 true leaves. Broccoli are just plain LAZY!! Really! I actually walked thru my bucket garden, spied the Broccoli just sitting there doing absolutely nothing, and I said "You all are just plain LAZY plants!!"

And, broccoli absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cooler temps, both night and daytime. Steady temps between 45-55 degrees and they are in "smelly" heaven! (Hey, I like that. From now on, I'm referring to the brassicas as "smellies!". Remember, you heard it here first, folks!)

So, Peggy, Linda would keep 'em under lights til they look stronger- maybe 8 leaves. They'll be fine in the transplanting. Besides that, putting 'em out so small in my pillbug-infested yard would be certain death. They'd stand a far better chance going out bigger and stronger.

And they do appreciate some organics in the soil, so add a bit of compost if you can. They are Lazy, water-hogging, HUNGRY HIPPOS, that will try your patience, but reward you in the end with those prized big heads and prolific (Arcadia) side shoots.

Linda

idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9068087

Thank you, Linda. . . they're outside on a table enjoying the beautiful weather. I'm getting tired of moving them undercover everytime hail is predicted, but oh well, that's the life of a "farmer" I guess!! They're my smelly little broccoli babies, and I must take care of them!
Grins,
Peggy

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9068110

Peggy,
If they're still smallish when you plant them, I'd sprinkle some Sluggo Plus around your plant bed perimeter. It's a bit $$ ($25 for the big cannister), but it only takes a little to do the job, so you'll have it a good long time. The stuff works fast, and lasts through a couple rains. Do it before you plant them out, and there'll be no nibbling of your babies!

Linda
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9069241

Thanks for the tip. On my list-

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America