What's for dinner? (Part 30)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244615/ but it's time to start a new thread! I'm honestly not sure what's for dinner tonight. I have a list of must-do's as long as my arm today, so it may be a catch-as-catch-can kind of dinner. What's on your menu for tonight?

Thumbnail by Terry
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Youngest son is coming for dinner and we've got a busy day. I put a brisket, carrots, celery, mushrooms, previously slow roasted cherry tomatoes and Vidalia onions in the crockpot. This should give us leftovers to take to Maypop tomorrow.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

It's a clean out the fridge meal that is yet to be determined.

Peas are up.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

A friend of mine recommends Fungi Perfecti for mushroom kits. She's a hoot. Never to do anything just part way, she joined the mycological society when she got interested in mushrooms. I've considered growing mushrooms at times but have not tried it yet.

I had a clean-up the fridge and freezer dinner. Cabbage, red peppers, onion w/ground beef and homemade roasted tomato sauce. Its become a staple meal. Tastes great and so healthy!

Tam

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Chicken fajitas tonight! Still without an oven, the one I thought I purchased last weekend did not work out (it was a floor model and turns out has no back legs). Back to square one.

Dinner last night was hamburgers, fresh fruit, and a spinach salad.

Sorry about your oven, Mary. That's frustrating.

We will be en route shortly. Dinner is an uncertainty.

Dinner is ham steak, fresh sweet pea soup, acorn squash, and one other thing yet to be determined.

That sounds so refreshing, Susan. Is "fresh sweet pea soup" from the garden? My peas are only four inches tall.

Speaking of gardens, that's where our day has gone. I was out from early until 6:15. I have simmered chicken for matzo ball soup and we are going to have some of that chicken in tortillas with fixings. Tomorrow night is the last night we can eat certain grains for a week, including wheat, so we are indulging now.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I don't grow peas (like Susan might have had from her yard), but I had some fresh asparagus from my garden tonight. Yum.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Wow, my asparagus hasn't broken ground yet!

Half of my asparagus is planted in a rock-faced raised bed against the house, so it's warmer, and always a lot earlier than what's in the veggie garden. Even at that, these were just a few spears, not an abundance yet.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I so need time to get my garden going!!! I have to visit my parents this weekend so it'll have to wait 'til next. I do have peppers & tomatoes seedlings going in the greenhouse. Maybe the asparagus will be up - will check today.

Susan - what did you do with the acorn squash? I still have a number of butternut squash from last year I need to eat.

Tam

I've had to replant spinach, chard and leeks because almost nothing came up.

I scored with some duck confit from Maple Leaf Farms - super good price although for some reason they don't sell duck fat. So I'm going to try some tonight along with Pommes Sarladaises and a green salad. I had Pommes Sarladaises in Sarlat, and it was delicious. I can use some of the duck fat from the confit to cook it.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

We are picking a few asparagus sprigs, but we had a bad infestation of voles this winter, and I think they ate a lot of the roots. Just make me sick, as it takes so long to get a bed of asparagus started.

One way I like to fix it is to heat olive oil in a skillet, add crushed garlic, asparagus and saute, then put a little balsamic vinegar over it right before serving. Yum Yum.

Ack, voles in the asparagus! Deb, you just reminded me that the asparagus in my veggie garden is just a few feet from that area where the voles ate parts of every single one of my sweet potatoes last year. So... I may not have any asparagus there anymore. sigh.

Columbus, OH

Leftovers. I roasted a chicken yesterday, and made some noodles with yogurt and basil cream and broccoli to go with.

I wish I had room for asparagus...

No such luck on peas out of the garden yet. Although we should be able to harvest some of the pea greens soon. The recipe I used was off of yesterday’s Chew. To my surprise the DH liked it and I wasn’t as happy about it. It’s healthy as it uses Greek yogurt instead of cream as a base. And it was easy to make.

Anyone have a served cold soup that they like and would be willing to share? I'm trying to find some that I can use in the summer. So far the experimentations have been only okay.

Yum on the asparagus. We’ve talked about planting some but haven’t yet. The rhubarb that we planted a couple of years ago looks like it died from the drought last fall. Or something ate it all. No sign of it in the garden.

Lavender arrived yesterday. We got both cooking and baking lavender. Now I just have to figure out how to cook with it.

We just cut it in half and baked it plain. It was a small acorn and so worked well that way. Ways we like to cook the acorn is (1) stuffed with a combination of pear, cranberries, honey and cinnamon; (2) sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the inside; and (2) Stuffed with apples, honey, and cinnamon: (3) cut in slices, tossed in canola oil and some kind of herb like sage. My parents used to stuff their acorn squash with spicy sausage. It's good that way as long as the sausage or meat is lean. If it's a high fat meat then the melted fat tends to pool in the acorn.

I have a couple of recipes that use lavender as a seasoning, including a dessert. Some people don't care for it but I really like it.

What about gazpacho and vichyssoise? We like both of those in the summer.

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Susan, here is a cold soup that we enjoy, I think it is derived from a Southern Living recipe a number of years ago:

Cucumber Soup with Dill Cream

2 cups half and half -- divided
4 cucumbers -- peeled, seeded, and
chopped
2 green onions -- sliced
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 container sour cream -- (16 oz)
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 teas. hot sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill weed
Garnish: fresh dill sprigs

Process 1 cup half and half, cucumber, green onions and lemon juice in blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
Stir together cucumber mixture, remaining 1 cup half and half, 16 oz sour cream, salt and hot sauce. Cover and chill 8 hours.
Stir together 1/2 cup sour cream and dill; dollop on each serving, and garnish, if desired. Yield 1 1/2 quarts (6 one cup servings)
Prep time: 15 minutes, Chill: 8 hours.

Thank you for the recipe and ideas.

Dinner is cajun turkey breast, spinach salad, and carrots.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Dinner is roasted chicken, green beans with onions and garlic, mashed potatoes, homemade noodles, and banana nut bread for dessert. Haven't had this for a long time, so am really looking forward to this meal.

We are having assorted grilled breads (crostini) with a variety of toppings. It's our last bread meal for a week. Big progress is being made on the garden.

Nice sounding meals. Glad to hear the garden is moving along and SO is progressing on foods he can eat.

We are headed into the garden for more planting this weekend. Seems like the herbs go in next. I've started putting out the tomato, peppers, and eggplants to harden them off. They go in soon. We started the watermelon and cantalope seeds inside this year to see if we get earlier or better yeilds.

I got into the kitchen and changes what we were having for veggies. Left overs from last night plus a salad made out of sliced fennel bulb, chopped fennel frons, sliced pear, dried tart cherries, and toasted hazel nuts with an overall dressing of verjus and mustard. Salad turned out well.

Tonight is the first night of Passover and we are having a quiet seder here in the mountains. Matzo ball soup with veggies for starters. An herb roasted leg of lamb with rosemary, garlic roasted potatoes, in schmaltz, and the last of our fall planted garden cabbages. That and all the ritual foods like roasted eggs, ground horseradish and a dish made with apples, ground toasted nuts, honey and spices. There is beautiful parsley in the garden for the spring green component of the seder plate. Now off to cook.

Sounds like a lovely start to Passover, Laurel.

I know parsley is a biennial, but mine I planted last summer haven't come back. I was at least hoping for seeds. Can't blame it on the winter because it was mild enough that my ONE artichoke survived and it should flower and fruit this summer... if the frost tonight (and again later next week) don't do it in.

Everything is under control 'cept I almost went blind from horseradish fumes when the top to the food processor was removed. So strong it hit my lungs too. Phew! I make SO taste it every year. Must be just right since he was reeling and choking.

We don't have a formal seder plate at Maypop but SO sliced a 2" thick tree slab awhile back and that will do fine. We forgot to bring our haggadot, the ritual order of the service. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggadah_of_Pesach SO found several online versions. We'll be sitting at the table with the 'droids. That's pretty New Age for Old Toots. LOL

I am always offline from sundown on Fridays until after sundown on Saturdays so if I'm not back here this afternoon I want to wish those of you who celebrate Passover or Easter a very meaningful holiday. Of course good food wishes go without saying.
Laurel

Have a happy passover or Easter!

Asparagus and Soft-Fried Eggs on Garlic Toast
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/asparagus-fried-eggs-garlic-toast.aspx

Asparagus sandwiches used to be a favorite,

This year my rhubarb is large enough on all 3 plants for a decent harvest. So far I'm thinking a rhubarb BBQ sauce, rhubarb turnovers (maybe with another fruit like blueberries or raspberries, or maybe not) and a rhubarb sweet and sour sauce for chicken or pork.

I'll dehydrate and/or freeze whatever else I can safely harvest for use later.

I may still have some containers of Victoria Sauce from rhubarb; it's been in the freezer for years. We have rhubarb but I tend not to use it.

Last night we went out for dinner and I had Oysters Rockefeller, with lobster bisque for first. It was delicious. Tonight we're having lamb shanks and lentil in the crockpot, and tomorrow I'm doing my rather casual version of a seder. We always celebrate it on Easter Sunday because the kids are over and it's a good way to have everyone together.

Columbus, OH

Wow, rhubarb sweet and sour sauce sounds good. I make ginger-rhubarb jam, and freeze a lot of sliced, I make rhubarb crumble and rhubarb coffee cake in the winter.

Leslie, what's Victoria Sauce?

I haven't had oysters except in oyster stew in years. You are lucky, living at the coast!

Anything rhubarb is my favorite. I have a family recipe for rhubarb quick bread if you are interested in it. Usually we just cut the rhubarb up, throw it in a pan with a little sugar, cot it, and eat it by itself. Sometimes I also throw in some tapioca. We both like the sauce tart. It works great as a sauce over other things also.

Dinner is a fusion of two recipes. DH is cooking beef satay stir-fry.

I don't remember how we made the Victoria Sauce, Darius. I just looked in my old, yellowed "Receipts" looseleaf notebook but it's not there and I have no idea where I got the original recipe. I made it when we lived on our island in Washington State and haven't done it since. I think it was rhubarb and raisins and sugar cooked down into a sauce, but there may have been other ingredients, too, like cinnamon.

I really love Oysters Rockefeller and fried oysters; there's also a scalloped oyster recipe that's good. A couple of Sundays ago we went with friends to an oyster and ham dinner at a local fire hall; none of us ever touch the ham, and the oysters are all-you-can-eat. We do make pigs of ourselves!

The BBQ sauce sounds good. I've never grown rhubarb and have only eaten it a few times in my life. It is not so common in the hotter south.

Leslie, my mom used to make the best oysters Rockefeller! We were just talking about them a few days ago. Maybe Darius remembers the restaurant, Tony's Fish Market. They had wonderful ones too. Lobster bisque brings back memories. We had that as a first course the first night we were married with a surf n' turf dinner. Looking back this is not sounding like such a healthy diet. lol Have a good seder. Have you seen the two minute seder on line? It's a riot. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/low_concept/2006/04/the_twominute_haggadah.html

I think I vaguely remember a Tony's Fish Market, over on the Beach, IIRC. We never ate out much, but there was a great Portuguese restaurant in downtown Miami some boyfriend took me to when I first started dating.

Laurel, I love the two minute seder! Just printed it out for my family to enjoy.

I have matzoh balls simmering in my chicken soup now. The hen was cooked overnight in the crockpot...

Columbus, OH

I've already made vegetarian matzoh balls with dill and parsley, it's so funny to see the traditionalists be at once horrified but enjoying them. I use coconut oil instead of schmaltz.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images