Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: What's new in your garden this year?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 41, Views: 390
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9066852

There are a total of 91 votes:

I'm adding a new bed or growing area.
(17 votes, 18%)
Red dot

I'm adding a new structure or hardscape item. (tell us!)
(7 votes, 7%)
Red dot

We're trying differnt vegetables this year. (like what?)
(6 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I'm adding some new trees and shrubs.
(12 votes, 13%)
Red dot

A new water feature for me!!!
(2 votes, 2%)
Red dot

I'm trying some new annuals or perennials. (tell us!)
(17 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Nothing new for me, I've run out of room!
(13 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Other. (tell us!)
(17 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9066874

I'm starting all over with my garden. I went from a 1/2 acre to garden in to just 2 feet wide planting areas down the side of this mobilehome. That's all the park will allow us. I'll be doing raised beds by using large pots.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9066906

Not doing much different, just improving what I have and trying to stay ahead of the weeds this year! Space is not a problem (I sometimes think I have too much), but I would like to tweak a few things if I have time. It has been summer way too early, so I may have missed my window of opportunity to dig up and re-plant some shrubs without heavy watering. We'll see what happens.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9066998

I've put in fruit trees and berry bushes (blue and black) to see if I can get some permaculture going; also planting fewer vegetables and more flowers. Just need some Pretty this year.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9067024

I'm reworking the whole front of the house. I had the generic crimson barberry bushed pulled out last fall and am going to change the face of my front planting area completely!

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9067064

Woeking on my wish list-

vitex Shoal Creek

and another blue Vitex

clematis texensis Princess Diana

rosa Variegata di Bologna

new to me heirloom tomatoes

Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9067113

I'm in my fifth year of what I have informally called a five year plan and this last step is perennials and bulbs. We did the first of the bulbs last fall and this year will be adding coneflowers, daylilies, creeping phlox, pachysandra, lamiastrum, columbine, ferns, and so on. Small front of the bed type things. My first four years were the bones (trees), bed layouts, establishing a lawn, and the large and medium shrubs.

Had my spring cleanup done by April1st this year so am very excited for this growing season.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9067127

Adding some new things I've never tried before...Chaenomeles, Buddleia, Japanese Iris, Colocasia, Anemone.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9067151

Adding six new floribunda roses. Having both Zuzu (the Rose Queen) and JasperDale (the Rose King) makes it hard to resist roses. This year we're having the property sprayed every other week to (hopefully) deter the deer.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9067165

I'm trying some new varieties of Daylilies, also starting some flowers from seeds that I've never had before Siberian Wallflower and Mountain Phlox
Also some new shrubs Daphne and different variety of Weigela, new Hibiscus
New plants I never had before are Guara and Butterfly weed
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9067246

I enlarged my one bed, added a second bed and am attempting to grow lots of new things. I'm cutting down one tree and planting a new tree and building a flower bed around it. Hopefully i will also begin reclaiming the backyard and then adding a flowerbed out there.
mclar133
Wyandotte, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9067271

I am building 3 planter boxes, 1'hx1'dx6'L and will be hanging them on my wooden fence. I am hoping to plant tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in them. Ideally the tomatoes and cucumbers will spill over and hang from the planters. I won a "Proven Winners Water Wise Irrigation System" and will use that to keep the plants watered. I am a novice gardener and have no idea if this is even feasible but I am tired of my dog running through the garden and the squirrels and rabbits and the root system from my huge old maple tree making my plantings mediocre at best.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9067294

Although I could have checked all of the above, I chose trees/shrubs, simply because at the moment I'm working on screening two neighbors. Both houses went into foreclosure and are pretty rundown. We are also working on Year Two of a patio/firepit area so that will need lots of attention. Always adding new perennials and usually digging up new beds or slyly expanding those I already have.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9067793

Dead Grass and weeds!

New water restrictions.. hand watering with a hose one day a week only two hours allowed on that day to do the entire yard... no sprinklers allowed..no automatic systems. The weeds are already taking over since they are tolerating the lack of water much better than the grass. I guess I am going to let the front yard die and keep the back alive so my dogs will have something nice and I can enjoy it back there.

Please...Pray for rain!
ericabelle
West Plains, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9067806

We are adding new hardscaping: finishing our rock garden project from last year with rock steps down to it and a small pergola at the top of the steps. Once again, we have made what could be a simple project, very complicated!! Also, I am trying to incorporate more bushes into my flower gardens, to anchor them.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9067829

Our front "foundation" planting has been SO boring! A row of Boxwoods! So this year we're jazzing things up a bit by adding a row of Loropetalum chinense in front of the Boxwood to add a little depth and pizzazz! We chose the plum delight variety, and I also added 3 of the plum pixies to a perennial bed also in the front yard.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9067850

A vole is new to my garden this year. It lives under my patio, and has been nibbling my perennials like a buffet. Cute little critter. I asked for advice here on DG, and I have a plan. I can save my flowers, and the vole can eat the birdseed.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9067868

Not sure if it is a "new water feature" or "other"...

RAIN!!!

That's what is new in our gardens in Texas this year.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9067954

Added an Ein Shemer apple, a pomegranate and a new bulb bed; adding 3 Monnuka grapevines, 2 blueberries and 10-12 raised beds, each 5.5' x 18" x 11" in the side yard for veggies. Also replacing the side gate with one built by hand without any screws except for the ones to attach the hardware. Once I get rid of the metal shed I'll be adding more raised beds in the backyard.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9068146

Built my first raised bed!

Then, I added a frame over it to trellis my tomatoes!

And, my three tomato plants love it!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9068217

We'll be adding a new growing area to our already large vegetable garden. Hubby is removing running bamboo that has encroached upon the south end of our backyard, and I'll turn it into a winter vegetable garden.

We also have areas, where tree roots are a problem, which get plenty of sunlight. I plan to grow some tomatoes in 7-gallon pots in these areas.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9068273

Gymgirl, that's an awful large planter for 3 tomatoes. I'm using mine for intensive planting, with smaller plants such as onions and strawberries under the tall stuff like corn, tomatoes and peppers. Each one is 5.5' x 18" x 11", there will be 10-12 in all. This one's planted with red corn (for grinding) and Walla Walla onions; I also have one with tomatoes, peppers and more onions and 1 that will get planted this week.

Thumbnail by frogymon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roseycats
Dayton, OH

April 3, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9068517

I've added some iris's most are JI also added at least 10 daylilies and a couple of lilies. Happy Gardening and Watch out for the bad storms
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9068581

Pic 1) I added this statue to the center of my new spiral rose garden. I love her. The rose garden is dedicated to my mother and all other mothers (including me!) You can see in the pic that the boxwoods still need to grow together. Pic 2) I added this new undulating curved bed to the edge of existing lawn. It is quite large---about ?30-40 feet long and varying depth. I planted a yew tree and ceanothus for structure. The rest will be perennials, annuals. Flags mark where poppies were sown.

I'm also enlarging the beds surrounding my greenhouse. We also added a new run for our chickens. I might also add an additional potting shed in the fall next to the chicken coop.

Thumbnail by kosk0025   Thumbnail by kosk0025
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9068768

Hoping to prep a new shade bed by laying cardboard down and building up with compost and fresh dirt, adding new trees and shrubs (dogwood whatever catches my eye), new annuals and perennials (whatever catches my eye), and just trying to keep up with the weeds and keeping my plants alive.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9069201

Kosk0025, your lady is stunning! Love her and your rose garden too.
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

April 4, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9069237

redoing the whole front yard was pretty simple but adding a porch on front of house and a new beick walkway to it so will be redoing the whole front landscape. Keep in mind its only a city lot so not much room but hopefully when done there will be no lawn

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9069409

Oh my goodness, everyone is so industrious! Three cheers!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9069707

Some of us have to keep busy in the garden or we get into trouble elsewhere. Heh heh heh...

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9069944

I'm growing eggplant from seed this year. I've only grown eggplant once from nursery grown plants & flea beetles destroyed them. I'm trying it again because my gr-daughter loves snacking on it raw! My seedlings all sprouted & look very healthy.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9070099

greenbrain, I've always heard that raw eggplant can be toxic, even poisonous….Is that not true? I love eating raw, but now I guess I need to do some more research!

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9070119

Doing my new veggie garden. We moved into the house a year ago, and spent time last spring on the yard, so no time for veggies. I now have a raised bed garden, complete with a deer fence, and my cucumbers and squash are doing well. Peas are up, and my Burgundy beans are planted. Did tomatoes from seed, and they just aren't quite ready to go in the ground yet. I'm gonna baby them for a little longer in their little pots. Still need to decide how to do herbs. But it's coming along well.

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9070123

Im working on balancing my flower garden to have as much interest in fall and winter as I have in Spring and summer.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9070534

Have added an arbor, adding new shrubs, a cotoneaster, a clethra, and a cytisis(sp), am moving some other things around. Thinking maybe a little more sun is all the magnolia needs to bloom at least once.
jafagan53
Morton, PA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9071096

Having a new stacked stone border added to the driveway ( west) side of the house. While getting an early start on weeding last week I asked myself why I'd focused my landscaping time on every place except the one that has the most visibility. Except for a few volunteer Rudbeckia and a straggly transplanted Abelia there is NO interest. When the hardscaping of the 30 foot bed is complete and the soil is amended I'll be combing the local sources for ideas and plant material.
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9071556

We are adding a PVC frame for some interesting gourd seeds, running a little water inside the pipes for irrigation. Adding some PVC arches with 3 inch dowels thru at about 12" intervals for Morning Glories to climb and color
The gourd structure will top at about 10' high and the arches at about 6', both will offer an little shade area for the people and the plants for a break when our temps top out this summer (spring?)
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 6, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9071593

My gardening class has added a new bed at the Talihina Public Library ,and at home I am converting a small bed into a little memorial garden for my recently deceased MIL ,mostly it will feature plants from her yard ..hopefully I will be able to post a pic of the Gardening class

Thumbnail by grits74571
Click the image for an enlarged view.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 7, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9072749

I've got 'SO' many seedling liliums to pot up this year, added to the 400+ pots i already have = too many[but who's counting?]
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9073699

Got a gift of peony and lilly for Easter, Now to find a space :O)
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9074995

The family and I just moved into our new house. waiting for most of my seedlings to big enough to transplant to the front garden. The one big thing I acomplished so far was my vegetable garden, and I am really not finished. So far, I slowly transplant to the garden as the seedlings allow me to, which also gives me an idea how big to make my new sections as seeds germinate.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9075206

Good luck with your new garden.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9075878

thank you, its coming along nicely. slowly adding to it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America