Photo by Melody

Article: Celebrate! It's Tater Day!: elderberry bush.

Communities > Forums > Article: Celebrate! It's Tater Day!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Celebrate! It's Tater Day!Replies: 5, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Benton, KY

April 2, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9067238

Melody, I also live in Benton. I have just been to tater day parade. Also all day Saturday. I bought a bush and the lady said it was Yellow Tacoma Elderberry. It has nothing on it about care. And I can find nothing on the net about a yellow bush. Do you have any infor for me. I love tater day. This years weather was outstanding. Last year if you remember was a stormy one and the parade was cancelled. Thanks for the help. Love your articles. Also the bush has lovely tube shaped blooms.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9067253

Howdy neighbor!

I didn't go into town today, but was up there Saturday for the flea mkt and we got some ribs to eat during the UK/UL ballgame...( Go Big Blue!)
You're right, this weather was super! Last year's tornadoes really put a damper on things.

Who had these plants for sale? (I'm not finding any info on them either) Were they set up in the middle area by the ReMax offices? I saw plants there, but didn't get down that far. The guy that owns Rodney's IGA out at Draffenville had those plants and I usually run out there after all of the hub-bub has calmed down. Sounds like a good hummingbird plant...hmmm...let me dig some more.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9067256

How about this one?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/71778/

Looks like it is hardy to zone 8, so you'll need to bring it in this fall...I drag my lantanas in and they do fine...they're just getting ready to bloom now.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9067262

Now I'm going to have to get a couple of these!!!

The info I've found says to keep deadheaded and they'll bloom all summer...butterflies and hummingbirds love them.
Benton, KY

April 2, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9067529

I bought the plant from the folks that were set up at REMAX. I got the last one. A huge crowd in town today. Was hot. But so much better than last year.

This lady said she found info on line about this plant. I could not but your pictures are right on. The picture by xevoinorf posted 9-2004 looks just like the one I have.
I will have to try overwintering my lantanas this year. Have not tried that yet and I just hate to throw them out at summers end. I re-potted the elderberry and I will just leave in pot instead of putting it in the ground. Will try and overwinter them also.

I got a delicious bbq sandwich Saturday. All and all a great year for tater day and Benton.

Thanks for your help. I now have a name and info for my plant.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9067942

I just drag my lantana containers into the garage each fall and let them go dormant. I dump a little water on them about once a month until I can drag them back out. My containers are about 15 gal, so they're big and heavy.

I'll probably run out to Rodney's anyway...he has some unusual stuff and the prices are really good. He had oleanders last year and I didn't get one.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Celebrate! It's Tater Day! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yeah Taters! cathy4 10 Apr 8, 2008 5:26 AM
Marshall County taters SharaLeigh 1 Apr 7, 2008 4:07 PM
Tater Day sallygreenthumb 7 Apr 3, 2012 5:55 AM
Tater Day Pictures justmeLisa 0 Apr 8, 2008 12:52 AM
Old cars, Tater Day Pics justmeLisa 1 Apr 8, 2008 5:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America