Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Agastaches and Salvias: Germinating concolor, pallida, tomentosa, cyanescens

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 2, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
drdata
Olympia, WA

April 2, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #9067713

Greetings,
I was anticipating difficulties with the last 2 but not necessarily the first 2, as they come from warmer regions. And, I only have one seed left of each! Concolor is available now from nurseries but the pallida is that beauty from Ibera on Robin's website. This is the one I am most interested in getting any thoughts about.

I have the typical setup of heat mat, thermostat, flat with a dome. I sewed the seeds in small pots in early March and again in mid-March, surface sewing with a little bit of vermiculite sprinkled on top. They are still in the flats, I haven't disposed of any yet.

Questions I have: should I try putting the pots of tomentosa and cyanescens in the fridge for awhile enclosed in a baggy? Try the Deno baggy method in the fridge for awhile? Just wait awhile longer?

Pallida and concolor: has anyone germinated these? Do they have a low germination rate? Days to germination? Any thoughts on improving my chances?

Thanks so much.
David - Olympia, WA

K_Carter
Elk, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9068645

S. pallida and concolor germinate like meadow grass. S. cyanensis for us is slow - I use GA3 and a cold stratification period, and then very warm for several weeks before there is any action. S. tomentosa has been a low percentage species, but not difficult in any way.

Kermit
drdata
Olympia, WA

April 9, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9076528

Thanks Kermit, I usually don't have problems with the easy ones, which I assume is what you mean by meadow grass,

David

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America