-
AuthorContent
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9067913

I'm having the worst time with this. They come up in the garden every year eventually, but I want them earlier and where I want them.

I cluster sow in a 2" pot on the surface of seed starting mix, water with 9:1 peroxide mix and a drop of Superthrive (first time using this year, it's been fab!), and put the pot inthe Biodome over a heat mat. Soil temps hover between 70-80 degrees. Nearly everything else loves it, germinates early. I know Verbena Bonariensis is a slow starter, but it's been nearly 3 weeks. Does it need darkness? Cold? Is Deno better? The seeds seem too small to soak, but should I? Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Pam
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

April 3, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9068039

Verbena bonsariensis is a slow erratic germinator.
It does best with a long cold period.
I have done them in the house,but only after refrigeration for a month.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9068134

Thanks, I'll try that.

Pam
trc65
Galesburg, IL

April 3, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9068210

Pam, I'd also watch your temperatures closely. Some species really like the warm, but for many getting towards 80 degrees is too hot. If it is really cool in your house where you are germinating, I'd put pots of cool germinators next to flats that are on a heat mat to give them a little warmth without getting them too hot.

Also if you don't have one, I'd recommend you look into getting a thermostat for your heat mat to prevent them from overheating. I just bought a digital one from Amazon for under $30. (Hydro Farm brand)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America