Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Trouble with Thalictrum

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 3, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9067931

Years ago at another garden they self-sowed prolifically in pots near where they had flowered, but I can't seem to make that happen indoors. I soaked the seeds 48 hours in 9:1peroxide water with a drop of Superthrive, then did the paper towel/baggy trick 1 week warm, 2 weeks cold in the frig. Then on 3/11 I took them out of the frig and planted them in a 3" pot in seed starting mix, more peroxide water, more Superthrive, and put the pot in the biodome over a heat mat. Nothing.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks,

Pam
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

April 3, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9068036

I suspect that they need a longer stratification period.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9068136

Do you thInk a month is enough? Do you think they might germinate in the frig, like penstemon does?

trc65
Galesburg, IL

April 3, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9068203

What temperature is your heat mat set on? Most references say to germinate around 65-70 degrees. I would give them another 2 weeks to see if they will germinate and then if none, put them back into the fridge for another 4 weeks. It is possible they will germ in the fridge, checking them once a week should be often enough. Trying to shorten the stratification will work for some species, but for others I never get germ.

They germ so easily/readily outdoors because of the longer stratification period and the varying temps/moisture outside. If I have bad luck with something I'm trying to stratify indoors, I will usually also winter sow some so that I have a backup. I will also double sow (indoors and outdoors) if I am trying some new plants and have no experience with germinating them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America