Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Seed Germination: Trouble with Thalictrum

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 3, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9067931

Years ago at another garden they self-sowed prolifically in pots near where they had flowered, but I can't seem to make that happen indoors. I soaked the seeds 48 hours in 9:1peroxide water with a drop of Superthrive, then did the paper towel/baggy trick 1 week warm, 2 weeks cold in the frig. Then on 3/11 I took them out of the frig and planted them in a 3" pot in seed starting mix, more peroxide water, more Superthrive, and put the pot in the biodome over a heat mat. Nothing.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks,

Pam
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

April 3, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9068036

I suspect that they need a longer stratification period.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9068136

Do you thInk a month is enough? Do you think they might germinate in the frig, like penstemon does?

trc65
Galesburg, IL

April 3, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9068203

What temperature is your heat mat set on? Most references say to germinate around 65-70 degrees. I would give them another 2 weeks to see if they will germinate and then if none, put them back into the fridge for another 4 weeks. It is possible they will germ in the fridge, checking them once a week should be often enough. Trying to shorten the stratification will work for some species, but for others I never get germ.

They germ so easily/readily outdoors because of the longer stratification period and the varying temps/moisture outside. If I have bad luck with something I'm trying to stratify indoors, I will usually also winter sow some so that I have a backup. I will also double sow (indoors and outdoors) if I am trying some new plants and have no experience with germinating them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America