Photo by Melody

Passifloras: Incense = Mosaic Virus ...... thank you Clare_A for the tip.

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 7, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SilkKnoll
Tuskegee, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9067936

great. just great.

I suspected the yellow spots on my Incense were mosaic virus, but this year is the first time my three-year-old vines showed this symptom. My internet search turned up a comment on a plantfiles picture by Clare_A that *all* Incense plants carried the virus and that "New Incense" was the only mosaic-free form.

@Clare_A: Thanks for the information. I read it and went directly outside to cut up, bag and trash my three Incense Passifloras together with their chopped-up trellises and the soil from their pots. I wore disposable vinyl gloves that went with them and soaked my pruners in Consan. I sprayed my hands and arms with Consan, too. The pots are in the bathtub waiting to be soaked in bleach.

I was going to sell one that was over 8'. A root section I potted last summer had three shoots coming up. The parent plant had several shoots that were pretty tall, too.

Oh well.

Anyone care to recommend [or share?] a healthy, virus free, equally dramatic and at least as strongly colored and as floriferous or more floriferous Passiflora to replace it?

Check my trade lists if you'd like to help me replace it with a trade.

It was my only Passiflora, though.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

April 13, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9080872

Sorry to hear this I have had mine for years no problem did you mail order these?
SilkKnoll
Tuskegee, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9081130

Now that I reflect on it, they may have been four or five years old.

Yes, originally it came by mail from someone I consider a reputable seller. They only showed the symptomatic yellow pattern on the leaves after they were stressed from a light frost after I moved them outside for the spring. At first, I thought it was some kind of frost damage.

Since I have had no signs of Mosaic Virus on any other plants, I was willing to make such an extreme sacrifice, even though some sources say that the only sign on vigorous plants is fewer blooms. I have too many plants that I've put much effort and investment (blood & treasure?) into acquiring to take chances.

I did have Salvia Dancing Flame (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/159377) last year, and I wondered if its patterning could be due to Mosaic Virus. Internet searches produced some comments from others who acknowledge the similarity but confidently assert that it is only yellow variegation.

However, this apparently authoritative reference claims Dancing Flame carries a specific form of the virus -- http://sciencealerts.com/stories/1737427/Detection_and_identification_of_Clerodendron_golden_mosaic_China_virus_in_Salvia_splendens.html#.T4h3Q6ttouU -- and that it is the first appearance of the this rare form in the US.

If *ALL* Passiflora Incense except "New Incense" carry the virus, then, whether yours came from mail order, a nursery, an online trader or a local friend, yours carries it as well and has just not experienced the kind of stress it takes to manifest visible symptoms.

Here is another post by Clare:

"From what I understand, you are right that a virus is often used to create variegation in the leaves of plants such as Abutilons and Begonias, and I think some plants can live with a virus and do fine. The Passiflora "Incense" hybrid that was propagated commerically and sold all over the country has the Cucumber Mosaic Virus. All the plants sold commerically have it since the parent plant had it. Once the symptoms begin showing -- extremely poor flowering and mottled leaves -- the vine will quickly deteriorate. They have since come up with a new Passiflora "Incense," which is supposed to be virus free. In some cases, a virus will cause the ultimate demise of a plant/vine, and in some cases, a plant can carry a virus and be unaffected. It is my understanding that many plants do carry viruses without showing symptoms and that tropical plants are the most susceptible to viruses." (http://www.mauiplumeriagardens.com/colorbreak.php)

I just found this Plantfiles entry that says "New Incense" is the same as Passiflora Allspice (in the heading, under "additional cultivar information"): http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63291/

Here is the original post, with photo, that alerted me to the problem: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/410359/#post_1183622

I would appreciate more input on this subject. I've wondered if people are not posting because they don't want to destroy their Incense vines and/or because they don't want other members to be afraid to trade with them.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 1:44 PM
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9091864

Eek! Thankfully I don't have Incense. Is it contagious to other passiflora?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9092586

temptation x temptation is a insence x that is free of it.. got 5 million seeds from it .. it looks similar..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SilkKnoll
Tuskegee, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9093188

@Xeramtheum: I'm no expert, but I would think that the running and screaming and tearing of hair and rending of garments whenever Mozaic Virus is mentioned suggests that it is contagious...

@GordonHawk: That IS a beautiful replacement for Incense! What does a fella have to do to get a few of those 5M seeds?

Do you think the cross will come true from seed?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9093544

SilkKnoll.. yes.. it's come true in all the ones I've sprouted out.. but then they are plants/seeds and most anything can happen.. but it's been stable for me.. it's a triploid.. having extra genes... and as RESULT.. GROWS REALLY STRONG.. no insect or disease problems.. it flowers wonderfully.. all the time.. and sets fruit to most every flower.. I can't think of anything I'd change... although to me it has about no fragrance..
I'm traveling this week.. down to the plant gathering in Florala,AL on the 28th.. got piles to do before I can leave.. but I can get some to you on my return.. the middle of may.. or if you were going to be down that way.. I'll be bringing some to trade.. how far are you from I-65 ..I'll be driving south through Montgomery Friday I hope..
SilkKnoll
Tuskegee, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9094754

The triploidy is very interesting! Congratulations on that! I never appreciated much of a scent from incense, so I wouldn't miss it.

I wish I could meet you in Florala! I'm 30 miles east of Montgomery on 85 (halfway to Auburn). I wish I could meet you. Unfortunately, I'm not mobile. Whatever works best for you will be great.

If you can stop by, I'll show you a firebreak carpeted in incarnata. They're nearly petal to petal when they bloom. You're welcome to as much as you want; you couldn't make a dent -- not to mention the other natives. It seems as if every plant you see once you step off the beaten path has made its way into the gardening market.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America