Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Will Japanese Beetle Grubs destroy vegetables?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 11, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dervish2
White Plains, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9067961

I prepared my bed yesterday (so sore I can barely type). In doing so I found numerous grubs. I am not really surprised because my lawn is a mess and I don't use chemicals.

I have applied milky spore twice and will do so again in August. I am worried that the grubs will destroy the vegetables in this new bed. Does anyone know if they are a problem in vegetable beds? And if they are, what can I do organically to help?

Thanks
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9068022

I'm not sure what you mean by numerous but I believe you will probably be OK with what you are doing.
University tests have shown that it may take 2 to 3 years for milky spore to build up enough concentration to be effective and even after that there is questions on its overall efficacy. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2001.html
I have had a lot of grubs but never so many that I worry. I'm satisfied with tilling them up and disposing of them. (if you have chickens they'll gladly gobble them up for you)
Someone with more experience with organic treatments may chime in, but I think it is cheaper to chop 'em up.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2012 9:59 AM

This message was edited Apr 3, 2012 10:00 AM

Thumbnail by yardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9068032

Ditto, what Yardener said. =)

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9068084

When I see Japanese beetle grubs I squish 'em - unless my dog sees them first - she eats them! I suspect she also digs them up when I'm not looking, 'cause I find little holes here and there around the garden.

I guess that's an "organic" way to get of them - right? LOL
ErockRPh
Glocester, RI
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9068316

I haven't had issues with grubs damaging my vegetables. Generally by the time my garden is in full swing the grubs have hatched into full-grown beetles. The adults sure do a number on my raspberries and fruit trees, though.
dervish2
White Plains, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9069805

Thanks everyone for your answers.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

April 4, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9070088

They seem to LOVE Irises. So don't plant any of those near your veggies!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9070169

I have found them while Im digging and planting my garden, I have also pulled up veggie plants that were not thriving and there were grubs attached to the roots, so yes they will eat veggie roots, but Im already seeing June bugs now so maybe they wont be an issue this year.

I do get a certain satisfaction in squishing them...this year Im battling snails for the first time. The fire ants use to take care of them, but I stopped treating for fireants and they seemed to have vanished.
gardenworm2
Standish, MI

April 10, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9077752

Yes grubs will bother root crop veggies. I once planted potatoes and out of the 40 bushel that I harvested I discarded half because of the damage caused by grubs.

I really don't think that they will bother the root systems of crops that are not root crops. So I would think that things like beans and tomatoes, etc would be all right.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9077780

Like I posted above I have found them eating the roots of my tomato plants and other veggie plants. According to my paperwork they are usually found where grass has previously been grown.
gardenworm2
Standish, MI

April 11, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9078072

1lisac

Sorry, I missed that. So they do hinder the growth of all types of plants. I have not had problems with them bothering anything but root crops. So I guess the key is feed them carrots and they will leave the tomatoes alone? HA!

Yes they do appear mostly when when you turn under sod. When I grew the first crop of spuds it was in an area that had just been newly turned sod. I do not find them in the garden after the first year unless I make the garden space larger and turn under more grass.

I have found that Seven is a good treatment for Grubs. I use it in the row as powder when I plant. This has worked for ants and other insects.

I would like to know if anyone has used an organic method to control grubs or even ants. That will work the first year you treat.

Thanks for correcting my posting

This message was edited Apr 11, 2012 8:39 AM
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9078082

when i overturned my sod and discovered the new found "pets", i use my trowel, scoop them up and fling them on the road. the heat and cars take care of the rest of the "dirty" work

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America