Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Weather: April Showers?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 160, Views: 944
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9068151

It's time for a new weather forum. April's here and things are at least two weeks early (maybe three!) in my garden. Yesterday it was 88 and sunny - today it's supposed to hit 79 with a chance of rain... I hope so, because it's getting dry in my garden.

Pic 1 is a group of "Sum and Substance" hostas as they look today. Pic 2 is how they looked on April 26, 2011 - three full weeks later! This warm weather has certainly affected the growth in my garden!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Click an image for an enlarged view.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9068219

It is overcast now, warm and muggy, it has been sprinkling. It says a high of 80 with a 40% chance of rain, but it's closer to 100% here, it is 76° now. I figure a heavy sprinkle is just right for watering plants. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

Yikes! That's what I have to look forward to?! I think the clay is keeping my 'Sum And Substance' from getting big too fast here. I expected big though, hope they get as big as yours.
Mine were small when I bought my 3 'Sum And Substance's 2 years ago, they were only $5.99 ea. at Kmart, maybe they won't be huge for a couple years.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9068334

If your soil is heavy, the "Sum and Substance" (or any other hosta, for that matter) definitely won't reach their full potential. They really need to have very loose, well-drained soil to thrive.

If I were you, I'd dig them up (now, while the full growing season is still before you), pull most of the dirt off the roots and re-plant them. While you have them out of the ground, dig a much bigger hole and fill it with compost (I use a horse manure/straw mix that I pick up at a local stable - they pile it up and after a few months, it has formed a nice, loose compost). Plant your "S&S" in the compost and add more to fill the hole. Water them and stand back!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9068417

Thanks, I have a couple that are planted in clayey soil, the rest are still in pots, I'll do that when I plant them. It'll be kinda difficult to dig the other 2 and repot, I have weedfabric in there and it's not really the ground, it's a rectangular patch that I filled in with soil that was dug up when we had the deck built. I think at the most it might be 8 inches deep of that soil, but I want them to thrive so I may be digging them up and repotting. Right now, it's a Francee and a Blue Angel in there. There is 2 Heucheras, 2 Ligularias and a Ghost Fern also in there. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9068563

Here is the spot today, the Hostas are sprouting finally.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9068597

Hot and humid til the rain moved in this morning. Moved in much earlier than was supposed to. Oh well. We need it. Just wish it helped me pull the chickweed!!!

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 3, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9068797

It is hot this afternoon but must not complain, beautiful Hawaiian weather. We have been praying for it and now we have it.

Billyporter - Been in Hawaii 36 years. Raised in England before that. The soil arrived yesterday evening. Its almost black. Looks good. Turns out the guy thats selling it gets large loads of free green waste mulch from the County. The County has mountains of green waste that they grind up into mulch and then give it away free. Trouble is you need space to let it sit for 6 months to a year to rot down. This guy does just that. He adds fish water from his ponds, manure from his animals and then heats it up, turns it and breaks it down into what we had delivered. He does all the work and us gardeners get the benefits for a price. He is stretching things to describe it as organic. I had 10 ton of County mulch delivered some years ago and found plastic bottle tops, golf balls, nails and all sorts of junk in it. It is also known that they add broken pallets to the heap and who know if they are termited treated. I'm happy. I now have a 2 cubic yard pile of potting soil just waiting to be used.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9069029

High 83, cold front moving in, 30% chance of rain, which we still need.

Took the plants out of the GH so if it does rain they can all have a drink now.

Need to get some seeds planted and plants, esp. plumies repotted...

Still working at Mom's. Hopefully it'll be cooler in the garage with the cool front coming in.

Happy Easter Everyone!

Jeanne

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2012
3:17 AM

Post #9069098

51°/67°/38°
Partly cloudy. Winds ENE at 15 to 25 mph.

Thanks Lea,
I think we're about that far ahead here in Iowa. A month for some things and then we're to be down to 31° Thursday night. I hope nothing is damaged as so much is starting to bloom. Especially the lilliput iris.
Wow! Isn't that some difference in the hostas!

Will,
Your weather has the same daytime temps as mine, but my nights are much cooler.

Pepper,
Chickweed and dandelions are what I've been concentrating on. We aren't getting much rain so I've been out every day, all day...

Mike,
Wow, 36 years in Hawaii and England first. You've seen a bit of the world :o)
Awesome on the compost!

Jeanne,
I peeked at my seeds and was suprised to see them sprouting already! I took them outside yesterday for some fresh air, LOL! They'll have to stay in now since we won't be in the 70's this week.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9069735

80 degrees yesterday, in the 60'S today, raining near ,not here though.lot's growing ,be back later with the pic's
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9070100

Low 60s for a high, cloudy and sprinkles a couple of times.

I didn't get anything done outside today. Grrr... I have decided that I will still pull the chickweed out of the garden but cardboard is going down after that to really kill it. I'm putting tomatoes in buckets this year so that will go on top of the cardboard. Everything else I will cut holes out for them. Except potatoes and onions and they will have a bare patch open. It's the only way I can control weeds this year in the veggie bed. Everywhere else it's handweeding when I get a chance. Well, one other bed will have cardboard on it but it's bare so the cardboard will help me create a new and better bed.

I have a few garden pics but none on the computer yet. Busy working this week. A couple hours today to help unload plants for the greenhouse and about 6 hours on Sunday for our BBQ cookout we do to bring in customers.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9070194

A few yellow and red tomato seedlings, lettuce, and spinach, we will see if after next week, as there outside.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
3:36 AM

Post #9070428

46°/62°/30°
Mostly cloudy skies this morning will become partly cloudy this afternoon. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph.

Juhur,
We love pictures!
The seedlings look great! Mine shot up before I knew it and I didn't have the lights on. They got leggy fast. Luckily, when I transplant the tomatoes and peppers, I can sink them.

Pepper,
The cardboard with tomatoes on top to hold it down is a great idea! I never have any luck planting veggies in pots. I think I overwater. Any way... if you are lucky you'll kill any seeds too. Maybe preen and water in first.
YUM! I'd come for the BBQ!

We had a full moon with a fog of clouds around it . Two long jet trails ran paralell right beside it and I could see other clouds. Neat sky for being five in the morning

The warm temps have brought spring to my yard. I just hope Mother Nature takes pity on me.

I took all these yesterday

Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9070776

Today is 58 tonight31 or so, same tomorrow approx.Two freezes in that forecast for two days later this week.
The lettuce and spinach are in SWC's so I don't have to bother much about watering.And I'm not all that worried about the cold with them as i've seen them easily survive 28 degree freeze or frost.
Nice pic's also to you billyporter,and does Mothernature ever take pity on anyone?
She reminds me that she's predator number #1!!

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9070871

Cool (59 degrees at 1:45 pm) and partly cloudy. Overnight low in the low 40's - perfect growing weather for the hostas. We've had (very) light rain for the last 24 hours. Not enough to do any good, but it made spots in the oak pollen dust on my car (LOL).

Why can't we have had this weather last week, instead of the heat that fried my tulips?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9071141

Chilly this morning and when the sun came out we warmed up to lower 60s. Not too bad once it warmed up.

Bp, Preen won't do much good in that bed. I'm fighting roots. Hence the cardboard. I have to take the potato fork hopefully tomorrow and loosen them up some before pulling.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 5, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9071438

Wet most of the day yesterday while we were over on the hot side of the island. Drier by cloudy today

Thumbnail by microb

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 5, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9071446

Having trouble sending multiple photos. Took my wife to a local truck stop for lunch :). This was the view behind us at the restaurant table

Second picture is Mauna Loa Volcano that was on our left as we drove across the center of the island.

Thumbnail by microb   Thumbnail by microb

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 5, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9071449

Lunch was actually at one of the luxury resorts on the Kona coast. Here is a photo of Mauna kea that was on our right as we drove across the island. Both mountains are about 12,000.

Also another photo from our lunch stop.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #9071483

Man oh, man, what I would'nt give to be there tonght and tomorrow,Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
3:37 AM

Post #9071549

33°/62°/36°/
Plentiful sunshine. Winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph.

Juhur,
No she doesn't!!! LOL! Father Time isn't very kind either :o)

Lea,
Awwww, your tulips!

Oh Pepper,
Roots are bad. I think the cardboard will at least kill thise under. If they sneak up around it they can be sprayed or mown off.

Mike,
Of all the wide open scenery, I notice your wonderful highway first!
Oh, now that is picture perfect. How could you not touch the water everytime you saw it?
Neat volcano picture too! It covers a very large area!
LOVE the statue!!

Juhur,
You and me both!! It's beautiful there!

My neighbor called me last night. She had been talking to the nursery that comes out to planrt trees for her. They told her our 30° temps shouldn't hurt anything. I'm waiting for the sun to come up, but I don't think anything here will be hurt.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9072063

I think we got to 30º last night, too. The ground is not frozen so everything here should be fine, too. No frost, just snow. About an inch or so. It's almost gone now.

Mike, thank you for those pics. Makes me homesick but I feel calmer now. LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 6, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9072397

Another ho-hum day. We've had a lot of them this spring. 50º to 60º, sunshine & windy.

Hired a collage grad to be head gardener this summer. She has a BS in horticulture from U of MN.
She cleaned up my flower bed. Really nice work.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012

Post #9072442

Cold this morning. Actually was chilly if you weren't out there for long but I was out in the greenhouse picking off dead blooms and my fingers got numb after a few minutes. lol. Much warmer this afternoon with temps in the low 60s and sunny. Gonna be this way for the foreseeable future. Highs in 60s, lows in 40s or 30s.

Still plan of posting pics soon but am swamped so haven't had time to download them. I will get there soon!!! I hope.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9073093

Man, was it cold here last night 30degrees at midnght and was still getting colder,Well, two more frosts to go.60's and sunny today that's what it's suppose to be all week. I'll be glad when the cold moves on.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 7, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9073287

Sure glad you are getting frost instead of us. Low overnight was 49º. Today in 60's.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9073303

Sounds like today and tonight here , should I wish you an Easter or May blizzard?{LOL}.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9073449

That's evil, Juhur! LOL!!!

We hit 60º today after a low of 29º last night. I covered up a couple of birdhouse gourd plants but they're dead anyway. Oh well...time to start again!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9073463

60s for a high and cloudy all day. A few sprinkles here and there but not enough to make any difference.

Kept most of the plants in the greenhouse at work again. I'm not even bringing them out during the day. Just too cool out. I'm so glad I haven't started my garden yet!!!

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 7, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9073529

Frequent moderate rain showers, occassional blustery winds, just a little sun this afternoon, temp never went over 70f.
Supposed to dry out over night and tomorrow am, then another period of showery rain Sunday pm and Monday.
I guess our perfect Hawaiian weather took a break again.
Waterlilies will never get going without more sun.
Was able to get Gloxinia seeds in a tray. Not sure if I will succeed with them.
Fuchsias going crazy with buds and blooms
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9073530

Same here as Pepper, overcast most of the day and kinda gloomy. I have noticed the big stores have already put annuals and stuff out and have had out for a few days, I hope they don't get a suprise! Hi billyp, your temps seem like they'd be a little more iffy on bringing stuff out early, I'd be pulling my hair out there! I'm not bringing anything out early here except a Wandering Jew plant, for a houseplant they can go down to 15 or 20 degrees.
The nites get cool! The ac was on then I turned the heat back on.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9073667

The cool weather here today (hovering around 60) was perfect for a day of work in the garden. Low in the 40's tonight, which is seasonally correct. I saw this bleeding heart blooming today and could not resist a photo.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9073754

35°/68°/38°
Plenty of sunshine. Winds W at 15 to 25 mph.

The only frost damage I had was to the butterfly bush. The leaves on top had blackened patches, but I don't think it will affect any blooms. Naturally it's out way too early. Everything else looked great and the bleeding hearts are blooming away!

The little lilliput iris are also all coming into bloom and are a nice show of color. Add that to green green grass and it's looking good here!

I had hung clothes out yesterday morning and was going to mow after dinner. We had a piddling rain move in and ruin that. So, I'll be working out today. I really need the exercise. I haven't done much since we had the boys. We walked, but they don't power walk, LOL!

Bernie,
Is she the same girl you had last year? Wow! Very nice work!

Pepper,
I hear ya! I just unload the camera and then go take more pictures, LOL!

Juhur,
Cracking UP! We could very well have a May Blizzard!

Aww Celia,
I hope you have more gourd seed :o(
Beautiful Forsythia! We have yards full of the most beautiful flowering trees, shrubs and lilacs around town. Just gorgeous! I hope the sun comes out and it warms up because we can't smell them on the air yet.

Mike,
You have to have bad weather days to fully appreciate the good days :o)

Shortleaf,
I saw Walmart bringing things out too, but I know better than to be tempted by anything yet. Not even pansies.

Lea,
I just love the Bleeding Hearts!

Have a sunny Sunday everyone!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 8, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9073901

No, this is a different girl. Fresh out of collage & happy to be working in the dirt. Said she was stuck behind a computer in all her jobs through school.
Faint rain yesterday, totaled .01", wow!
Cloudy & windy today.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9074785

Sally, I went to HD to get more and found one more kid pack with gourd seeds. I got it home...it has no seeds in it! Somebody took them. Now, I have to go back and try to find them somewhere else.

70º toady, sunny and beautiful.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9075079

42°/62°/29°
Windy with sunshine. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph

Bernie,
I hope she really likes her job. Being outside gives you a different outlook!

Celia,
I read that with my mouth hanging open. Someone was low enough to steal seeds from a packet. Then I just had to laugh at the chance of that happening! I hope they really needed them.

Freeze watch tonight and I am so hoping we miss it. Everything is green and blooming. I mowed yesterday!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9075137

Sally, it was one of those little cups that have growing medium and instructions for kids. It was probably a kid who took them.

75º-80º today. Woohoo. Snow later in the week. No...really.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9075288

56°/83° Sunny

Boy did I have a lot to catch up on. Love all the garden photos. Billy love the old house, so cool to have the foundation where you grew up making a garden plot for you. I wish I had that much land for gardens. Sorry so many got a dip again in temps, that always seems to happen around the first of April, even way down here...I guess that is Mother Nature's April Fools.

We had three days get up to 90 last week, a taste of summer, but then a front cooled us back down, not near enough rain that we so desperately need. But this weekend and today are lovely. Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter weekend.

Some photos of my little backyard garden end of March.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012

Post #9076169

Temps shot up to 70 today with some nice sunshine. Enjoying it while it lasts!!

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 9, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9076356

Grey skies, light to moderate rain showers, no sun, temp never went above 65f today. Its pounding down again right now.

Enjoyed the garden pics Sunkissed.

I remembered a garden we drove past in Kaneohe on Oahu. It was a small lot and the only open space was just enough room for the owner to park their car just inside the gate. The rest of the yard was totally imersed in plants, either in the ground, in pots on in hanging baskets. You could not see the house. Plants were hanging over the sidewalk. Narrow allyways between the plants indicated how to get to the house. All the plants were healthy with many varieties..
That was my dream garden when I lived on Oahu. Now I still want to have my yard planted to that intensity but with a couple of acres it means thousands more plants. I did nail up a 20 foot metal rail between two trees last week for hanging baskets. The lawn is slowly shrinking. so I'm moving in the right direction..

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9076447

77º today! Wooooooo!

Mike, my dream is much the same. So many plants, no one can find me. Heh heh heh...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9076482

It's already in the 30's here tonight, suppose to be colder tomorrow night, low 50's for tomorrow ,BRRRRRRR,don't like cold weather even if it does kill bugs and pathogens.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9076920

It also kills my happy for Spring. We should be having snow tomorrow or the next day. Yuck!

62º now and headed for 80º. Welcome to Utah.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9077033

Cool and windy ,windy 25 to 35mph , 50 degrees forcast for today, it ain't there!!

Spent the winter in UTAH once ,snowstorm that winter took two days to dig the T-bird out .Woke up one morning ,no roads,no cars, only white prairie and a few rooftops. not me noooooo, not anymore;

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9077325

LOL! I say that every year but here I sit...

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 10, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9077390

Grey, rainy and cool again. Today temp has not gone over 62f. Is this really Hawaii? Where did we put the sweaters? Last year we got depressed with three months of grey wet weather Jan - Mar. This year is a repeat. Need an umbrella to get to and from the greenhouses.

Local newspaper had article about concerns regarding mainland weather. They say temp overall has been 6 degrees above average this winter and there is concern about what is in store for the summer. I keep reading it in all your weather entries.

Maybe the earths axis is not going to shift all at once in December but is on a very slow shift. I wonder if anyone has measured the location of the equator recently.

No gardening yesterday or today
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9077541

Temps reached mid 60s and sunny today. Had threat of frost last night and freeze warnings out for counties north and east of me tonight. Be nice if it would stay warmer at night.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 10, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9077587

Just finished covering all our strawberries. Every blanket we had plus some rolls of insulation. Going down to 22º tonight. Apple & grape people are really worried. Apple shouldn't be blooming for another month, but they are very close. Goofy weather!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9077733

The forecast said low 50's it never got past 50 where I am. and it's cold 25mph winds gusts 10 or 15 beyond that, it's in the 30's now dropping like a rock. My fruit trees have been done bloomjng a while except for one apple tree.
Hey kwanjin, well, when it snows you can look forward to having more to do(lol

microb Not a big believer in disaster scenario ,only thing is if mother earth does that, after a long swim we all mostly are'nt going to have worry about it anymore,(lo).

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9077833

At 11:31 ,26.7 degrees and falling, man I'm looking at 21 or 22 degrees at sunrise . Go away cold weather , the genie commands.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9077867

Are we talking pole shift? If so, my understanding is, if that does happen, we won't even notice. Compasses will look funny but that's all.

I can't even think of 20º anymore. LOL I liked my 83º today. Temps won't fall below 40º, even at night.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9078660

how's this, tomato made it shade tree didn't

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9078835

Awwwwww...is the tree dead or were the leaves just killed?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9078858

The tree will live, the leaves are dead ,about 70% of them. And it's still cold.,I'm not a happy camper.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9078980

Highs in high 50s and sunny all day. Had to wear my hoodie all day to stay warm!! Covering up plants again tonight just in case though the threat of frost is mimimal.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 11, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9079127

Partly sunny this morning, cloud came in during the late morning and by early afternoon it was continuous rain again. At least temp crept up to 69f.

Someone said the earth was supposed to tilt on its axis making the poles on the equator and the equator at the poles. Maybe that would not be bad. We would be in the same place but in the southern hemisphere. I think its all a bunch of hogwash but makes a change from global warming. :)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9079530

I'm with you, Mike. Hogwash is a good word.

Maybe I should start a thread on rumors that caught us up. :-)

48º and overcast.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9079577

it's breezy about 48 here too going to be 60 and it's sunny!! 40's tonight maybe,

kwanjin; what's the plant in the pic?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9079608

Oh! That's Sambucus nigra 'Black Lace'. One of my favorite perennials.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9080118

Cold and wet today. Temps only reached low 50s and we had scattered rain off and on all day. We have chances of rain and storms thru Sunday.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9080412

About 50 degrees currently maybe around 40 tonight don't know if that will be. no wind and calm.
planted grandma's lilac, mowed the lawn, mulched tomato, added earth to the garden, raked the grass.Plucked out winter sown tomatoes that dwarfed and burned.started tomato seeds for later summer harvest. took some pics.

sambcus nigra is a pretty,pretty, plant!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9080541

53°/57°/52°
Through 9am: Light rain developing by mid-morning. Becoming mostly cloudy with temperatures falling to near 46F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Rain showers early then thundershowers for the afternoon. High 57F. Winds SSE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Celia,
Have you found any more gourd seeds?

Sherri,
I could use a lot bigger garden, but sort of ''painted myself into a corner'' with the one I do have. Not much room to expand.
I love your little back yard! The stone walkways are really neat and I love the round central planting in the first picture! It seems very private, but I imagine you have neighbors very close.

Pepper,
Tthose 70° days are perfection!

Mike,
I too would love a whole yard of nothing but flowers and paths, but when I look at my sea of grass, I realize I need that balance.

Juhur,
I hate any feel of cold weather right now and it was not cold enough last winter to kill any bugs. Yesterday I had gnats bugging me. I thought they needed water to hatch and we've had no rain at all.

Mike,
Your days do not sound very Hawaiian :o(
I think the world is going to change this year. Natural or man-made is the question. I think both.

Bernie,
We lost baby grapes. I can't tell about the apples, but north of here they aren't very hopeful :o(

Celia,
No, we won't notice a pole shift, but I do think the weather is going to change. What's funny is, when they revised the zone map a few years ago I was zone 5a. I am now, after a newer revising, zone 5b.
What is real tho, is the moon moving away from the earth. That will be our changes.
Do you have any suckering with the sambucus?

Juhur,
We stayed warmer last night and I'm hoping that the below 30 temps are over!!

I weeded in the garden yesterday but the chilly wind just gave me a headache. I can't decide if the coughing the boys did here, morphed into a cold or sinus.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 13, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9080595

Looking for rain.
Stupid radar shows us in a yellow area. Not a drop of rain yet.
I think they take pictures of clouds & not the actual rain. To fancy equipment these days.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9080776

Currently it's 55 in my garden with a light mist. The forecast calls for mid 70's today and thunderstorms all weekend. Oh well, we need the rain and I could use a weekend off from garden chores.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 13, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9080809

We got about 2 tenths inch of rain.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9081515

It was about 65 here today around 50 for tonight,very slight breeze.

Grandma says the plant damage was acid in the frost.

billyporter;I get peat knats every once a while, and the others in summer that are hard bodied and hurt when they bite,I'm glad they don't stay long.

countrygardens; That's here as is, radar forecast showing rain and zilch,nada. Forecasts play with us and our hopes some .

Planted some seeds calypso cukes, and hierloom tomatoes,Watered the marigolds ,african daisy,and garlic chives.Oh yeah planted some zinnia and morning gories in the flower beds.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9081525

Waiting for storms to hit again. Got hit with a boomer last night and already tonight have storms in Olk that have spawned tornadoes. Those storms will reach us later tonight. Tomorrow under a risk for tornadoes. High risk is in Kansas but that's not very far!! Just gotta keep eyes on sky.

Temps were in 40s this morning and got up to low 70s.

Clematis blooming. That's my iris bed then lilies right behind those against the deck. I have catmint, tree peony, tall phlox, butterfly plant, geranium, snapdragon, columbine and turtle plant around the clematis. Had Don Juan climbing rose there but he bit the dust over the winter. So now either Penny Lane or Westermoreland climbing roses will go there. And will go on the other side of the trellis to get the southern exposure. Maybe that will help.

Thumbnail by pepper23

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9081972

Oh wow I am so sorry for the cold snap...I haven't been watching the weather much this past week. Tornadoes again...stay safe.

Mike if I had land like yours I'd diminish my bank account. My lot is small but I still manage to find a spot for a plant I like. I like the metal pole idea.

I love the Black Lace plant, very nice and clematis is so pretty, I've seen some have luck with it here, but I never have.

Billy yes I have neighbors all around me, but can't see them and they can't see me. ; -)

Anyone here from Texas gal since all the tornadoes went through Texas?

Oh and my weather...well the same as last time.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9081996

I heard last night there is tornado warning around here and I'm safe...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/severe-weather-warning-midwest/story?id=16139021#.T4mGiNWkAuc

I has been ill since last Wednesday until now I just hate the allergy around here! I just get little better but long way to heal up...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9082032

light rain no severe weather ,return afterwhile with more.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9082232

Thunderstorms and 70 degrees, How's with the tornado's central south,heraring there's been a few. Saturday and everyone's into something,me ,I'm sitting, watching it rain.
No gardening this weekend while it rains, that happens a lot here.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 14, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9082439

Weather is nice and calm and quite dry now for a few days. A few light showers at night but things are drying out.

How do you folks survive in the tornado areas. They seem so unpredictable I think I would live in fear all the time.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to have someone give me a Buddha's Hand citrus tree. It is a rooted branch cutting so will probably not fruit until next year but the parent tree had fruit and it is weird. Like an orange with an squid attached. Can't wait to get mine to fruit.

Spent $16 of great local fruit and veggies at the local farmers market this morning. Change out of $20 was just enough to buy a nice dark blue miniature Iris that I don't have. Similar bloom size to the light blue and yellow walking Iris.

Stay safe around those tornados.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9082500

Severe tornadoes in Western Kansas and hail in Nebraska. They say it will reach our area (on the border of Missouri, in a suburb of Kansas City) about 1:00 am. I hope we don't get damage.

Here is one of my first iris of the season "Batik" (although a NoID heirloom variety bloomed last week).

OOOPS! I keep forgetting DG doesn't accept vertical photos!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 4:12 PM

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9082505

Let's try this one.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9082730

Olkahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa all have had reports of tornadoes. Nothing here in KC area so far. Highs in the mid to high 70s, humid and the sun came out this afternoon which didn't help the atmosphere here.

Queen Elizabeth climbing rose. I only have one cane since I almost killed it a couple years ago by over pruning. Never has bloomed either. Gotta find a way to get it back on the trellis so it doesn't flop so much.

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 14, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9082739

Raining here this evening. I hope it lasts all night.
Tomorrow the storm system will be east of us, so should be no worry here.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9083030

There is 120 tornado hit...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/midwest-storms-tornadoes-severe-storms-threaten-country-midsection-194415173.html

I have T-storm warning coming around at 11 am today... So, I stay home...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9083253

Windy ,really windy like 35-45 today sunny and going for 80.

kwanjin: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! on your winning photo, AND YES I really voted for the 1st and 3rd in that one.And one of the runnerups also.

I feel like my vote counted.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9084079

I'm very excited! I saw some of the others and didn't think mine would win. Thank you to all who voted.

55º today and sunny. Got the front bed cleared and ready for new soil. Pics to come...

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 16, 2012
2:23 AM

Post #9084219

I haven't seen the results yet, but congrats Celia! Going to check !
I hope the tornadoes didn't do too much damage...so scary!
It rained buckets on Saturday, and last night too, but the temps are up, over 50F during the night and 68F during the day. High humidity though...made us sweat a lot!LOL
The spring cleaning is done and we had a happy Easter...ours was yesterday..., but I miss so much being on DG...I mostly read and had to run back to cleaning!LOL My DD was of great help too, so I wasn't that worn out as I used to be in other years.
Saturday I cooked all day lamb goodies and a cheesecake. The colored eggs were bought already colored so I didn't have to do that also.
We have lots of flowers blooming and the trees are blooming too.
Sending you some pictures with the goodies on the table, the family, Nicholas cleaning an egg, and the hopping bunny toy which we gave Nicholas for Easter.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 16, 2012
2:26 AM

Post #9084220

A few blooms : the cherry and sour cherry tree, primula, fuchsia hyacinth, daffs with a yellow hyacinth.

Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 16, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9085275

Hawaiian weather has returned. Rained all day yesterday but today is BEAUTIFUL. Forecast is to stay nice for a couple of weeks.

Oh Adina, - I come from a family of bakers and that bread looks soooo good. Difficult to get a decent loaf of bread today. We bake our own in a bread maker and its much better than store bought bread.
And those flowers - too many memories of living in England with flowers we don't see in Hawaii.

Kwanjin - How do I find your photos on DG. I was going to enter the competition by sending a photo of a crowd at a ball game - after all we are the biggest invasive species.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9085288

A bit cold this morning, espcially in the shade. But it warmed up to mid 60s with plenty of sunshine and very little wind. A perfect day almost. I even took advantage of it to pull some weeds from a small area of my garden. Got several more areas to go but 1 down is 1 down. lol

Future home of 1 or 2 rose bushes. They will go where you see the hollyhock and burned out area. The other side there is my neighbors. Want to hide them. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23   Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9085936

Mike, the banner on top is gone and I can't find them again, either.

Rain today, .10" and more coming... 47º.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9086004

Sunny and a dry high in the mid-70's in Leawood, on the eastern edge of Kansas (3 blocks from Missouri - LOL).

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9086015

Here's is:

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2012-invasive-species-contest/

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9086217

Thank you!!! Mine is in the Invasive Birds.

Congratulations to all the winners.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 17, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9086496

Thank You JuJu55.

Great photos - Glad to see that someone added the human element being invasive. We don't mind the tourist over here for our economy but they certainly are invasive. When you think of all the forest that is getting bulldozed for new residents I think we do more harm than the animals and plants. Axis Deer is the latest problem. Over 12,000 on Maui and just 50-100 here on the Big Island. Hunters are out to keep the numbers down.

Nearly forgot - Weather is still great!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9086643

Weather's great here today too!! Highs in the 70s and sunny all day. Just about perfect!!

Sweet Tea Huechera

Thumbnail by pepper23

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9086675

Hi! We had LOTS of RAIN, severe thunderstorms, but no tornados came near us, Praise the Lord! We are OK!!!!!!!!!

We took a break from working at Mom's old house over the weekend. Still a bit more cleaning needed, and packing some things. The donations were picked up on Friday, so the garage is looking much better. I think we will list it with the Realtor. Please pray it sells quickly!!!!! It's "AS IS" because it needs so much work, but a great fixer upper for the right person.

It was a beautiful day here, still a little muggy, but great to see the sun!

Plants in the garden look so much greener and happier with the rain! My Amaryllis both red and orange are in bloom, and one red daylily. Several others have scaped.

Take care Everyone!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9087863

70'S here today 40's ,50's last night all the same forecast the next few days.Sunny and beee -uutiful here today!!!

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9088557

Storms likely today, with heavy rain and hail possible. I hope my hostas don't get damaged.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9088602

Very overcast with east wind. Rain on the way.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9089585

I wish it woulda came down here heavier than it did, but some rain is better than no rain. Leawood is only about 40 miles from here, if it came down harder there than here, shame on Leawood!
Heck, it has came down harder across the street..lol Nice Hostas Leawood.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9089651

We got ¾" between 8:30 AM & 5 PM. Beautiful soaking rain. Just what we needed.
Warm & sun tomorrow.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9089671

Yeah, that's a good rain for plants. In the second post up there I said a heavy sprinkle is perfect, but that's not really enuff rain I don't think.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9089940

windy 20mph with gusts, cloudy, suppose to late today, tonight, early into tomorrow, looks like some of the KS,MN, rain and storms are getting here.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9090105

48 degrees and overcast at 10:45 am, but no rain (10% chance - LOL). My border beds are so dry I've started watering. Ugh. If it's this dry in April, what will the summer bring?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 20, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9090253

Beautiful day. Sunny, 50º, going up.
Rain tomorrow.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9090762

70º and sunny!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9090834

Some rain last night but not enough. Temps close to 80 yesterday but today we never left 50s and have chance of frost tonight.

Dwarf willow bushes.

Thumbnail by pepper23

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012

Post #9090843

Currently 40 degrees N.W. wind 15, raining, 93% humidity

Thumbnail by juhur7

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9090900

Severe thunder storms, cooler! We're fine!

Have a great weekend!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9091226

Brrr! this morning so chilly and will be patchy fog and frost...

Clear 38° RealFeel® 42°

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9091586

Cooooooooll 50 here frost tonght, suppose to be this way this weekend with frost chances in the morning through wed. MAN !!! THIS WEATHER!!!! .

Almost forgot light rain currently.

Thumbnail by juhur7

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9091653

Juhur, is that a Clematis? And what are the seedlings?

72º here and head for 80º+.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9091659

Yep! it's a clematis, still have two of the 'oldham strain' I believe they are that . I seem to have forgotten the name of that one at the moment, I do know it though, I'm pretty sure the other red one is ernest markham. they have both bloomed a bunch since the pic the other day, but it 's way too cold do much outdoors and stay comfortable.

The seedlings are orangeglo, watermelons.Early for those yet,even still , what the heck?
Always giving it a try.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9091676

I always have to try, too. There's no harm and always more seeds available.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 21, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9091818

Breezy, 70f. Lots of rain over night and early this morning but now just passing showers. Ground is very wet. Wind should get stronger tomorrow with more frequent showers through Monday and then return to typical Hawaiian Trade wind weather.

Those Hostas are great Leawood. I have four in pots that a friend brought back from the Seattle area but they are really not supposed to grow over here. Leaves just died off so I'm backing off on the water for a couple of weeks and will then try and get them to wake up again. They seem to have a good bulb base.

Thanks everyone for those great mainland garden pics.

This is one of my latest garden paths. Have to cut my way through the forest. Lay a gravel path. Then I clean about 4 feet on either side to plant various tropicals.

Thumbnail by microb

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 22, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9092588

Another lovely low pressure day. Started raining Thursday, some rain everyday. Still raining this morning. We have thousands of onion plants to get in the ground. To wet to figure on planting tomorrow.
They were worried about drought here because of no snow over the winter, HA!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9093286

Absolutely beautiful path! Love it!

It has been a gorgeous day here all day! Sun shining just beautiful!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9093307

Low 60s, cloudy and blustery. Feels like Fall instead of Spring.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9093339

SOME CRAZY WEATHER AIN'T IT!! More frosts, with freeze where I am for tonight ,been in the fifties today supposedly up to 60 according to you know who ,Only It was never anything near that here,only a little sunshine that made it feel comfortable for an hour or two.
Covered the tender plants,listened to every mower for two blocks,while I hoped for tomorrow.

Thumbnail by juhur7

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 22, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9093492

The winds picked up as forecast. Nice to hear the wind whistle through the Ironwood trees along the driveway. Great thing is that the showers never showed up, at least not today. May get some overnight. Its been a beautiful sunny day, about 75f but the wind is breezy.

Are there any DG members out there from England that could give us weather reports - East Anglia maybe.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9093700

I know one lady in NY who is getting it now. I'll let you know what I hear from her.

We hit 86º today. Broke the record for the high for this date set in 1934. That was 83º.

We worked outside most of the day and got a little sun-burnt.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9093807

40°/62°/43°
Mostly sunny. High 62F. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph.

Hi, sorry to be gone so long :o)

I have been outside every day doing things. I have some garden in and need to reseed inside what didn't grow. Today I will be at DD's all day babysitting. It's a chilly day so it's a good day to do that.

Hope all goes well for you as I'll be missing off and on now that spring is here.

Have a warm day! Mine will be chilly and windy :o(

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9094154

Been pretty busy with the garden among other things. Saw some of that nasty weather everyone was getting thought of you all, glad to hear everyone is okay. We got some very much needed rain over the weekend, my garden looks happy and green today. Next couple days nice and cool and sunny.

Will be a pleasant week here. Taking my mother to Bok Towers Gardens this week, it is my mother's day gift to her, but we are going this week since she can't take the heat and by mid May will be hot again. I haven't been there in over ten years, can't wait. I'll take pictures. Really beautiful gardens.

http://boktowergardens.org/

Made a succulent garden out of the old fire pit we used before we built the new one. My wonderful husband been busy too, the trellis he made and new log holder...might be able to have a fire in the pit again tonight. Down to 57.

Have a great week my garden weather friends. Hopefully no more tornadoes.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9094162

Sunkissed, that looks so pleasant.

88º expected today. Ouf...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9094167

Some folks in NY got snow and others just rain. It IS only April but good heavens.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012

Post #9095030

Highs in mid 60s today and sunny. All in all not vad.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9095305

Slippery roads here in Pa. this evening!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 23, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #9095400

Early Bloomer - what a great photo - please post some more like that.

Beautiful starry evening yesterday. No neighbors or street lights so stars were shining down to the horizon through the trees.

Different story this morning. Moderate rain and cloudy skies that lasted all day and is still continuing this evening. There is some level of mystical pleasure driving to work this morning with clouds so low you need headlights. As you get to a lower elevation its the tops of the trees that are in the clouds and then as you lose the trees you can see the ocean in the distance under the cloud layer. Must remember to put the camera in the van.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9095840

OMG! Seeing your photo, Early_Bloomer, makes me shiver!

It's sunny and 68 degrees at 10:00 am. The high is supposed to reach 87 - too hot for April! What's going on with the weather?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9096114

63 Degrees and sunny, winds 15 to 20.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9096291

Onions are all planted. 9 cases, 2000 to a case.
Sunny, so everybody got a little red!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9096313

Highs in the low 80s today. I took advantage and got all my perennials planted that needed planting. Plus a few bulbs. Still need to get onions and potatos planted though. And the rest of the veggies.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 24, 2012

Post #9096356

Rain and grey this morning but turning out to be a nice sunny afternoon and 70f on my day off.

Wow CountryGardens. See how little we know about the weather journal writers. Do you own a farm or is that some big back yard? All that nice looking dark soil that we have to buy in bags. Good Job!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9096600

We have about 5 acres of market garden. 11½ acres total.
Some of the blackest soil you will ever find.
This pic is last year.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9097212

currently 50s sunshine and light rain. chance of severe weather for tonight with more rain and storms local temperature 59 as this is typed. upper 60s for a high today.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9097226

I hears thunder when my alarm went off at 4:30 am (I go to they gym first thing each morning, to get my day 'started' with all the other senior citizens). My first thought was, "Great! Rain to give my garden a drink!" - I've been watering all week and it's only April!

No luck, however. It was just thunder and lightning signaling a significant warm up - the predicted high today is 92 - a record for April 25 in Kansas City. I have a feeling this will be a tough summer.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9097734

That's what we've been saying too. Gonna be a dry one. But it's been coming. We've had wet summers now for a couple years. Time for a dry one.

My weather is same as Leawood. lol. Had some strong winds earlier today now it's not doing much. Tomorrow back in the 80s!!

Climbing Peace finally blooming!

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 26, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9098839

Winds have gone light from the south east bringing up tropical humidity and blue skies, much drier. Just walking in the garden makes you sweat. Going to be like this until Sunday.
Need to make a trip down to the far end of the forest path and bring back some bromeliad and azalea plants that were put in years ago as cutting. Nice mature plants now to add landscape nearer the house. Maybe too hot.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9098914

IT is sunny and warm here today. Nice sixty degree weather,frost warnings for tonight . Some of tomato plants have doubled in size during the past 36hrs. Harvesting a few green onions and some lettuce.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9099094

Hot today (near 80) and sunny. Now (at 7:00 pm) it's still 73 and humid. It's supposed to be cooler and rain tomorrow - yipee! My borders are DRY.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012

Post #9099121

Same as Leawood. lol

Named iris but don't know the name. It either came from Iris Hill at Powell Gardens or a co-op I did several years ago. lol.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
10:13 PM

Post #9099526

Only one of my Irises is open. A NOID from my niece.

.10" of rain so far this evening. 45º and may get down to 35º. We needed this good, long soaking rain.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9100287

No rain yet here. Just blustery winds, colder temps though it says 80 and mostly cloudy.

Some more irises. The purple/white ones are actually darker than in the pic. They are almost black in person. One of my favs!!

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9100435

Gorgeous iris, Pepper!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9100593

GOTTA LOVE IRIS! Frost last night , burned a couple of vegies, 40s -50s tonight and tomorrow. Rain coming with warmer weather,partly cloudy with some sunshine today.

here's the clematis with more blooms

Thumbnail by juhur7

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9100871

44°/53°/40°
Widely scattered showers and thunderstorms this morning. Clouds lingering later. Winds E at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Two weeks ago the boys gave me a cold and it morphed into a touch of sinus. It kind of went away. I've been working in the yard and decided to mow just the back yard. Well, I was kind of tired, but rested and kept going. I got almost done and I was so tired I couldn't move. I didn't realize I was getting the crud. I told DH earlier that the twins wore me out or I'm just really mellow. I'm never mellow! LOL! So down a couple days, still working outside, still babysitting and the crud came back with sinus. :o( It took three hours for my stomach to decide if I was going to throw up or be sitting in the bathroom. Luckily I just threw up the bit of water I had been drinking.

Daughter and SIL were getting goats ready for the sale and I went out yesterday, all day, with two kids who were also a little sick. We all understood each other, LOL!

Today they are to be here pretty soon so they can go over and watch the goat sale. Thankfully the boys stayed with their other Grandma last night and I thanked her for taking them.

I now understand what it is like to be drained of energy even tho I am still on my feet. I have never felt so tired without having the flu.

Today, the headache is going away. I would feel ok if it wasn't for that dang crud headache.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2012 5:51 AM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 28, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9100962

3/10ths inch of rain as of 6:30 AM. Still raining. Working nice on our newly planted onions.

Set out cole crops Thursday. Always nice when planting time comes around.

We will finish laying plastic as soon as it dries off.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9101074

Upper 80's day/upper 60's night, sunny...all week long same thing.

Early_Bloomer, even though the snow picture looks pretty it is hard for me to imagine snow this late after such a warm winter. It would bum me out.

CountryGardens, I always love seeing your fields of plenty, would sure love some of that produce on my table.

Pepper love the tree stump with the climbing peace rose on it. I hope you get your drier season, you can send all the rain down here to Florida, we've been too dry the last few summers.

LeawoodGardener and Pepper love all the bulb flowers popping up, I have one crop of black iris and it needs to get real cool in the winter for them to flower in the spring, they didn't flower this year, so I enjoy seeing your pictures.

juhur7, love the clematis vine, I sure wish I could grow that down here.

Billy hope you shake that crud, I hate when you think you're finally over something and it decides to come back. I love my grandson, but he has given me a few colds.

I never took my mother to Bok gardens, she admitted to me she didn't think she could do all the walking, so I checked on a wheelchair and they wanted $60. for a rental a day...what a bunch of cr@p. So I took her to lunch instead and we had a nice time. It is so hard to see my mother aging and not able to do all the things she loves to do.

My first orchid blooms, and gardenias are blooming, the jasmine and gardenias smell so wonderful this time of year.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9101644

Mostly cloudy with some sprinkles here and there. Temps pretty decent. Tomorrow rain off and on.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9102210

45°/58°/50°
Areas of patchy fog early. Cloudy with occasional showers. Winds E at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Bernie,
We got 8/10'' rain and boy, was that at the right time!

Sherri,
I'm better than yesterday. By tomorrow I should be back to normal.
Oh, beautiful blooms!

Pepper,
LOVE the iris! I actually have three blooming myself!

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9102216

Anyone else experience the golf to tennis ball sized hail yesterday? It happened 2 hours after I had just finished transplanting my eggplant, tomato, and pepper plants. Though almost every unprotected vehicle suffered shattered windshields, sun roofs, and rear windows; and many homes lost windows and had severly battered vinyl siding; my plants survived undamaged. It seemed trivial that I was concerned about my plants when so many suffered costly property damage, so I kept it to myself. However, my husband understood my relief. He knew of all my fussing and constant care to raise these plants from my own saved seed. Hopefully, I'll be able to share the fruits of my labor with some of yesterday's victims.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9102339

A nice, soaking rain overnight (about 3/4" in my unofficial rain gauge), with the possibility of more today. Now if we could only have a few more days of rain, things would be great!

Rain is God's way of giving gardeners a day off.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9102383

Yellow water lily after the rain.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 29, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9102854

Yesterday was beautiful, sunny with some clouds and light wind.
This morning was cloudy, at about 7am there were indications of rain and by 8am it was coming down steady. Now noon and it hasn't stopped - just a steady moderate rain at about 70f.

Pepper23 - just love those flag irises. The best we can do here are the small tropical regina iris (Giant Apostle or walking iris)

Nice lily LeawoodGardner - We can do water lilies but the crowns are not getting the sun this year so they seem to be behind. We have one peach one blooming right now. Our local zoo/botanical gardens in Hilo has a wonderful waterlily pond which includes the giant Victorian waterlily in bloom (did i get the name right, the one with the large pads with upturned edges)

Greenbrain - that hail sound scary. I'll take our volcano anyday.

Thumbnail by microb   Thumbnail by microb   Thumbnail by microb

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9102948

Rain off and on all day and temps only in the high 50s. My grandma said she got an inch at her place and she is only 5 miles from me so we probably got around that much here.

Had a small delayed birthday party here today. It was supposed to be bigger but several people had stuff come up at the last minute; health issues or plumbing issues mainly and couldn't make it. Still had fun though!!

Climbing Peace rose and OSO Easy Paprika rose blooms.

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2012

Post #9102973

Gorgeous weather, sunshine! Supposed to rain toward the end of the week.

Still working at Mom's old house. Please keep us in your prayers.

We are still having computer problems as well.

Jeanne
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9103069

Storms rolling thru again. We need the rain so no complaints here!! lol

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9103277

I'm fine with the rain too. Please no more large hail! There's hardly a vehicle within a 5 mile radius that doesn't have a window shattered & large hail dents. Strange driving by the car lots & seeing all their damaged vehicles.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2012
3:07 AM

Post #9103433

52°/70°/50°
Through 10am: Low clouds, fog and poor visibility conditions will improve by 7am.
Cloudy skies early, followed by partial clearing. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Greenbrain,
I was looking at a video of the hail in TWC this morning, and how awful!! Not trivial when something we cultivated to grow gets destroyed. Only once has hail shredded my flowers and trees. I felt a deep sadness for the loss. I'd have to wait a year to see them again :o(
How nice to think of sharing the produce. I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated!

Lea,
It is the perfect excuse to have a day off. I love to listen to the rain!
I adore water lilies! How lucky to have them!

Mike,
I would love to walk around your botanical gardens! The zoo too!
How beautiful!! I'd love to be able to grow an iris with those colors!
The peach lily is beautiful too!

Pepper,
At least you were at the party and had fun. I know people in my town are all coughing and getting over their illnesses :o(
Gorgeouses roses!!

Jeanne,
Prayers going out. I hope you cvan finish soon.

Yesterday, IT RAINED AGAIN!! We got 7/10'' on top of the 8/10'' and I am so happy! The weather is warm all week with no more freezing temps. Flowers are going to pop!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9103530

Got good T-storm yesterday and today just watch out for Flash Flooding Warning also still raining that what I need for!

I get still allergy so I keep take allergy medicines for rest of my life but if it need bad!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 30, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9103557

Sun breaking through today. Looking for 70º.

Put the second stage of my desk in yesterday. The 4 large drawers hold hanging files.
Top small drawers are for paper & label stock.
Wood is Knotty Alder.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 30, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9104591

heavy rain all night in the form of passing showers. Today started wet but has slowly dried out and is now a little more sunny with light occassional passing showers. Supposed to keep improving through the week. Problem is there is standing water around the garden. Not fun to work in
Not sure whether I mentioned it but we do have corrugated tin roofs on most homes here. If you pop your head up into our crawl space above the ceiling you see the underside of the metal. The rain really pounds on the metal. Sometimes have to turn up the sound on the telly in the evenings
Orchid Cactus bud and Fuchsia blooms taken today.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9104611

Temps reached mid 60s and mostly cloudy all day with some patchy fog.

Clematis blooming away on it's trellis.

Thumbnail by pepper23

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9104896

Pepper, your clematis is lovely. I've don't know why I've never planted one; esp. since they grow vertically & take up little space.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9104924

Right before the hail storm hit on Sat., I had visited my mom & dug up some lady fern or athyrium filix-femina that she wanted removed because it had spread into the lawn. I had planned to set it out that afternoon, but the storm hit 1st. I forgot all about the 4 potted fern until a while ago. They're sitting off the driveway in a SE corner near the house. The hail storm came out of the NW, so the fern survived unscathed. I just watered the fern & will plant it tomorrow evening rain or shine.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2012
3:13 AM

Post #9105021

45°/76°/61°
Through 10am: Light rain developing around mid-morning. Mostly cloudy with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 60s. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch.
This Afternoon: Some clouds and possibly an isolated thunderstorm this afternoon. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

JuJu,
I'll bet you're as glad to get the rain as I am.
I hope I don't have allergies hiding in this crud.

Bernie,
That is beautiful! I love all the room to file things!

Mike,
We just put steel roofs on a few years ago. First 1'' x 2'' slats were put down and the roof was screwed to them. It's pretty quiet.
Both blooms are beautiful! I love fuschia, but can't get them to grow. I even bought a self waterer just for them and then don't find them for sale much.

Oh Pepper,
That is soooo pretty!

Greenbrain,
I only have one myself :o) My other trellis are for annual sweet peas.
Laughing, a memory fern. My memory plant is perennial geraniun my friend gave me. I threw 15 tiny starts in the garden as it lightninged and just made it into the house before getting drenched. They got moved later and I still have them :o)
It's awesome that they came thru being unscathed tho. Especially being a fern!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9105379

New thread for May.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255512/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America