Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
helenchild
Decatur, GA

April 3, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9068162

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting coffee stains from a stainless steel thermos. I would rather not use scouring powder or steel wool cleaners. I think they scratch and potenitally making the staining worse.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Helen
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9089712

Hi, Helenchild. I don't know what to use either. I thought of ammonia. I use it to remove the coffee and tea film from glass containers, but I don't know how it would react to aluminum. Sometimes I put baking soda on a washrag and push it down into the narrow opening of my thermos with a long carving fork and rub it around the insides. I have never had a bottlebrush worth a dang, the end bristles disappear.

Hope this helps!
helenchild
Decatur, GA

April 20, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9090032

Thanks huckleberry,
My thermos is stainless steel so I think a lot less reactive than aluminum.
I wonder if a long soak might budge the stain.
Helen

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 20, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9090235

Fill the thermos with water and add a tablespoon or so of dishwasher soap (not dishwashing liquid - you want the kind meant to be put in dishwashers). Let it soak overnight, and your thermos will be bright and shiny in the morning! That stuff is magic - especially on coffee stains.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

April 20, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9090650

WOW Jeannie, I am so excited to try this tonight. Thank you.
Helen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9090981

I use baking soda to get coffee stains off of everything
helenchild
Decatur, GA

April 21, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9091206

Jeannie, it worked like a charm. My thermos this morning is sparkling clean. It went from black to spotless. Chunks of old coffee residue fell of with the bottle brush.
Thanks again. I love Dave's Garden.
Helen

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 21, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9091222

Glad to be of service :)
rogueraven
Gladstone, OR

May 27, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9140576

For Helenchild, Have you tried baking soda + white vinegar? My boyfriend can never seem to keep track of his many thermos bottles, with creamer and sugar in them. This has been the best fix I've used of late. Pour baking soda in thermos (1/4 cup? or so) then pour in white vinegar (1/2 cup). MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS IN A SINK AND AT ARMS LENGTH. The chemical reaction is fast, kind of boils/foams. My first time , I used way more than needed, was a large Stanley and had to mop up a mess. When this stops I put the thermos aside over night, sometimes it has taken more than once but has worked to get that gunk out and stain too. Just realize this combo is what we used to fuel our toy rockets when we were kids. WARNING: Do not put any lid on a container, or it may look like those pranks the kids are doing these days with Mentos candy in a plastic soda bottle - They violenty explode!

Second photo is silly, but keeps me trying at things with a smile.

Thumbnail by rogueraven   Thumbnail by rogueraven
Click an image for an enlarged view.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9140794

I don't know the chemistry behind this but...put ice cubes in anything that has contained coffee (decanters for the electric coffee maker, etc.) gently slosh around and the coffee comes out.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 29, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9143730

Thanks rogueraven and LouC. But when I used the dishwasher powder, see above, all the stains and residue come out completely.
Helen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America