Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Orchid Cactus: EpiForums

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 61, Views: 539
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9068291

The EpiForums and Epigallery seem to have vanished from my browsers. Is anyone else having this problem? bob

Picture is Oxypetallum

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ginger749

April 3, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9068324

Not entirely sure what you mean Bob ?

I do know tery from admen is closing Forums that are not active.
She closed My Outdoor BBQ Thread much to my dissapointment.
So if people don't show a tad more interest here on •The Orchid Cactus forum•
That may be closed as well.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 3, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9068453

Appearently, epiforums is closed
ginger749

April 3, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9068504

Isn't it a pity admen don't have the courtesy to consult the regular participants ???

Smacks to me of our Prime Minister Julia Gillart's attitude.
All she says is "it's the right thing to do" ? But to whom and for whom ?

krowten
Greensburg, PA

April 3, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9068649

Old forums represent an archive of past knowledge. We are losing out history and the ability to search for past info and threads. This is not a good thing.
ginger749

April 3, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9068662

You bet Krowten.

I'm not sure how old the rest of Yall are ?
But I remember reading this same thing happening in Europe.
The “Enabling Act” of 1933.
A tad before my time but a history lesson for US all the same.

kell.

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9069130

What about our EpiGalleries----what happened to them?

Thumbnail by orchidman1

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 5, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9070927

I have missed them too. I don't get to check in too often, but I do look around to see what is new or look stuff up at times.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9329151

Ginger, I looked up the enabling act of 1933. I already knew that Hitler declared himself dictator. When I read this, I thought about American politics recently. Luciee {;^((

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9329162

krowten wrote:Old forums represent an archive of past knowledge. We are losing out history and the ability to search for past info and threads. This is not a good thing.

I agreed with krowten whole heartedly. I'm not talking about politic, only my concern of gardening forums here at DG. Too many forums are deemed obsolete because there isn't traffic? That's not right, doesn't one rest every so often? Why not allowing a forum getting that same breaks every now and then? That's my two cents!

luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9329170

My main concern is gardening, but I just could not let the chance go by without telling Ginger "thank-you" in a round about way. Luciee {;^)
ginger749

November 10, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9329830

luciee wrote:My main concern is gardening, but I just could not let the chance go by without telling Ginger "thank-you" in a round about way. Luciee {;^)

You are more than welcome Luciee. :-)
As a financial member I feel we should all be able to have a say.
Too many members are afraid to say anything negative for fear of getting booted off DG.
I like your smilie.

luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9329982

Thank you, Ginger. I copied it from several places. Luciee {;^)
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 24, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9395869

Orchidman, is that an April Shower epi in your picture. If so, I have one and it only blooms in December.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9396297

Ibartoo:

This is April Showers and mine blooms in late April. Very faithful and prolific bloomer. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 24, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9396610

I have been curious about this since I joined DG. All of my Epis bloom in spring. I wonder what the difference is. I see others that get blooms and/or second blooms that are in very similar latitudes.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9396725

My two bloom in late June/July. One is a bit sooner--the other a bit later.
Gita

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9397964

I hope they do not close this thread because I have a few questions regarding my orchid cactus that the men on cactiguide tells me it is a hybrid of Disocactus phyllanthoides x Disocactus speciosus. This plant has been confused as the species Disocactus ackermannii. the original plant was cultivated in the early to mid 1800s, but towards the turn of the 20th century, this hybrid plant was introduced.
They also went on to say that the true species plant of Disocactus ackermanni is difficult to grow. Yet, I see many so called Disocactus ackermannii advertised, I am wondering if they are really what they say they are. It is so confusing for those of us who know nothing about these beauties and we have to rely on what we are told by others who have the broad experience.
I thought that was very interesting, but I wish I knew what to do with it.

Ibartoo, it is good to see you are ok. I have been thinking about you since the storm, wondering how you made out. We took a beating big time. I think over the years you sent me some orchid cactus. They have grown to be beautiful plants but never bloomed. I need to know where to put them in the GH so they bloom. I would guess Spring is the time when that will happen. What about this big Disocactus x hybrid?
Gita you know the one I am talking about, you have one similiar I think. How can I help it along. Does it like more water than the normal weekly watering others get (if they need it ...I use the touch method of checking my CC. If you have time to answer my questions I would appreciate it.
Orchidman, you can probably give me some pointers here. I am really new at the orchid cactus and am doing some research but there are so many and it gets really overwhelming. Do you treat each one individually or can you give them all the same basic treatments?

Thanks in advance for your help. JB
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 26, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9398027

Maybe then, mine is not really an april showers. LOL I don't remember whether I bought it or received it in a trade. I have had it for several years. My flowers look just like the ones in your picture Orchidman, but it only blooms in Nov/Dec. Thanks for posting the picture tho. If it isn't April Showers, Any idea what it might be? It looks like an epi, blooms like a Rhipsalidopsis, ( kind of) but never in the spring.

JB, it is good to be back. It has been a rough time for the past while. I may have to catch up with you in an email. The orchid cacti cuttings I sent to you will not bloom until they are root bound. We just had some rain with the storm. Not a lot. I kept all my friends covered in prayers during that time though. I know it got really bad where you are. In the greenhouse JB, I treat my orchid cacti like my Christmas cacti. I let them go dormant around October and then begin bringing them out of dormancy around late January.

We haven't had a killing frost yet though, so who knows when my last frost will be. Our weather is so weird sometimes. LOL

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9398109

You also sent me a Sunrise and a Starfish Cactus and they are looking really good also, Linda.

Did I show you that orchid cactus I spoke about above? Here that is. I hope I am on the right thread with this thing. The flowers on this seem to all come out at the ends of the stems. ?? Is this one I can get some guidance on here or should I move on to another thread?

Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger      

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 26, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9398567

That is definitely 1 of them JB, but I have no clue which one. This is the right place. Maybe Orchidman can help us.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9398607

J{ This may help you:
Disocactus x hybridus 'Ackermannii'
1. Flowers red
2. Stems 2-3 angled, flowers campanulate, stigma lobes white - D. x hybridus 'Ackermannii'
Disocactus Ackermanni
1. Flowers Red
2. Stems never 3-angled, flowers not campanulate(Shaped like a bell, as certain flowers are.) , stigma lobes purplish red - species - D. ackermanii

The second description is the stock Ackermannj and hard to find. 'the purple stigma lobes are the sure identifier, along with the flower shape.. Most collectors call both Ackermanni without note of the difference. The first is a hybrid, of course. The older plant is not hard to grow-just hard to find. I've purchased several species plants but have yet to bloom a true species Ackermanni. When I find it, I'll make sure you get sev. stems bob

This message was edited Jan 26, 2013 9:52 PM

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 27, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9399017

Thanks Bob, I knew you were probably the right one to help.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9399045

Thank you Bob, I am sorry I did not mean to imply I did not know what that cactus was I should have ask, how oo I keep it happy and healthy?

It was identified as a hybrid of Disocactus phyllanthoides x Disocactus speciosus. It has long been confused with the Disocactus Ackermanni. Which I wish I had one of those too.
I have a friend in the Atlanta Botanical Gardens and he is helping to look for one also. I will share with you if and when I get any...do not hold your breath. LOL

I am concerned how to take care of this old girl and when I got on this thread I saw all these beautiful flowers that look similar I thought I would ask how do you care for them and how do you propagate them. Which parts do you twist off for cuttings? Can you guide me to a place to get those answers. At the present time I am treating it like I treat my Schlumbergeras and it seems happy, but the plant is so big and ugly and has nasty needles that I was not sure I was doing the right things. The cuttings are not growing as fast as I thought they should. I need help in my propagation for sure.

I apologize for not telling you what it was, I must have been having one of my senior moments. I am 84 and holding. I knew you would be able to help me if anyone could.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9399570

J:
When I propagate, I like to use more mature growth. I use a sterilized pair of scissors to cut off a long segment which I usually cut in half to make several cuttings as long as I have at least six inches of growth per start I allow the segments to scale over for about a week before planting. Just set them aside and keep them dry during this period. I the place the segments into a four to six inch container in which they will stay for the next 2 years. I use my regular epie mix in the pot to root them. My mix consist of hard wood nuggets, ground oak leaves, perlite, 10X10X10 fertilizer(handful to a 40 gallon trash can full of mix), and sterilized garden soil/sand mix.
I usually do not water when I plant my starts but let the misters provide moisture daily.
Starts do best in the warmer months but I have good success year round. I like 3-4 cuts in each pot. After two years I move them into 10" hanging baskets or gallon pots. I've always read that they should be kept in small pots to crowd roots but I really don't see any difference in growth or bloom time.
When I find small pieces of my epies on the floor that have been broken off; I pot them no matter their size. I will mark them with the names of the plants in the immediate area where they're found in order to have some clue as to the identity of the plants when and if it ever blooms. These "noids" I usually put in 2-4 inch pots and will give them away to friends, especially kids, who see my collection and want a plant or, once identified, I will put back into the mother plants pot.
I like to have two pots of all my epies that I really like. You never know when disaster may strike a much loved plant. I have lost plants due to freezes that only effected small areas of my greenhouse, to chemical misuse (be careful with sprays since epies react badly to many chemicals, and sunburn.
I feed all my epies with 10x10x10 once a month from March to October. No fertilizer Nov-February. The March feeding will usually be with a Bloombuster Blend of plant food. I mist my plants daily during hot months, 1 x weekly early spring and late fall, and every other week during the Nov.-Feb. period. During the cold period you want a lot less moisture due to greater possibility of root rot and other problems. You may have to water more frequently once in awhile.
Epies are amazingly resilient to disease and insect pest. My biggest problem is with scale and snails which usually only disfigure plants and will not kill them. I use oil spray for the scale and snail bait on my shelving and floor of my greenhouse. I have not found any effective treatment for snails as of yet.

I hope this is the information you want. I have found Epies to be very forgiving and easy to grow There are some hybrids on the market that grow extremely slow or have unusual patterns of growth. I guess that they might require different conditions for growth than I am providing. When I check with others, I find that they have similar problems with certain plants
If I have left out any information you need just let me know. Your pictures are beautiful so you must be doing a lot of things right. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 28, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9399989

Bob, That is a wonderful explanation. I want to copy it and keep it handy. I only had 2 epi's bloom this year. 1 strictum and the confused or mid-identified april showers. I tried to get pics of the april showers, but it is outside and we were all sick during the time it was blooming but I would try to make a daily run to see it and all of my Christmas cacti in bloom. This year the Schlumbergera and Zygocacti outdid themselves! it was a spectacular show.

Do you keep your epis in a greenhouse year round?
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9400094

Ibartoo: No, I place my largest hybrids and all my Oxy's in the trees or the grapevines for the summer and Fall. However, I have around 600 plants now, epies and orchids, and don't begin to move them all. The result was that I missed many blooms this year since they were not in one place and life doesn't allow me to have yard time everyday and work my day job!
My schlums were beautiful this year also. I let several get some freeze damage while displaying them on my screened porch. I think I lost my Rio Samba to frost which did upset me. I also think I lost a beautiful Christmas Fantasy that was outdoing itself. Here are some pictures. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1      Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9400250

Your plants are gorgeous and the flowers are super gorgeous. You are so lucky to live in NC year round. I lived there many many years ago and I loved it. I lived on Wrightsville Beach when my hubby was in the Marines. I loved the island and I am crazy about the outer banks and always will be. Best years of my life. ]

Back to real life. The information is super. I have printed it and will give it a try. I do have another question. When you take your 6 in. cuttings, you let them dry and when you plant them do you plant the cut end up and the growing end in the soil? I read some instructions on eHow "How to propagate an orchid cactus" and if I read it correctly, they say you plant the growing end in the soil. I have never done that and wondered if anyone I know does?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I am so appreciative. Since I am so old I am going to send you a big hug. So there, you young girls...there are some benefits to being 84. Darn few but there are some. JB
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9400293

J:
Either end will grow when placed in the potting mix. However, The CUT END should go in the potting mix; this will grow much faster than if planted upside down. Also, you might want to root them by placing them in water and letting them root. To do this, put them in a jar with about 1 inch of water and let them root after you have let your end callous over for about a week. Our friend "down under" Ginger did his this way. I have done this but like the potting mix way better. bob

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9400360

I have done the water rooting but I do not remember letting them callous over first. What is the reason for the callousing? I never callous my CC either when I cut them. Most of the time I root them in water also. I always put the cut end in the ground. Thanks for reinforcing that for me. JB
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9400450

J.
Callousing allows the stem to heal a vulnerable break in it's outer armour...just like a scab. It helps prevent plant rot. I ,too, have skipped this step since it will callous by itself in the pourous plant potting mix. This, however, is not as safe as the tried and true method of allowing the stems to callous before preceding. bob

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9400509

Thanks Bob, I never have a problem with rotting, but I guess I will try doing things the right way now, just for the heck of it. You have been so helpful. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9400545

Bob--

Can you correctly ID this Epi? I have had it since 2005 when i got it as a cutting from CA.
It first bloomed in 2008 (pic. 1 and 2). Then--not again until 20010.
Last year it went bonkers. last 3 pictures.

I have been told by some folks here that it is an "Ackermanii". Could you either confirm or
correct this?

JB--This is whatever it is--but you are welcome to some cuttings. Even rooted ones.
Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9400560

Bob,
I also have another Epi. Got it the same year. (2005).

It never bloomed until 2010. Only had 3 blooms that year--but, like my other one--
it blew me away this past year.

This one may be a bit harder to ID. Seems there are many that look alike.
I simply call them Epi #1 (bloomed first)---and Epi #2 (bloomed later).

In picture #4---What causes this scabbing over look?
The frond undersides are smooth green and healthy looking.
This did not, in any way, affect the plant blooming. It just looked so dry and cracked.

Over the winter--my Epis, along with all my other plants, find their little nook in my house.
This Epi is so tilted in the pot that it is impossible to water it.(in the house). It is very heavy--and trying to
hold it horizontal to water it does not work. The top of the soil is hard as rock with all the Epi stems.
I repotted it in 2010 and it really took off. Not sure I will ever be able to do it again.

Also--which fronds would be safe to cut off to root? I do not know which of them are likely to bloom,
so I don't want to be cutting off one that will bloom. How can you tell? I am assuming it is the older, long ones
that will bloom. At least that is where the blooms were last year.

Picture #5 shows the whole, lopsided plant. 2012.

Thanks for your help! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9400576

I have another Orchid cactus called a "Ric Rac" catus.
Not sure when I got it and from whom. It is humongous!!!!

Already gave the first "humongous" one away to an Arboretum. Now this one is approaching
5' in diameter, laid flat and must weigh close to 40lbs.

It has only bloomed once--and only with 2 flowers. That was back in 2006. Pic. 1&2.
Why won't it bloom again?

The picture of it in the house is from 2010. it is bigger now.

Question---What causes the Ric Rac (and Epis as well) to grow these ugly,
dry air roots when inside? Pic. #4 (this is from 2004 0r 2005).

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9400692

Gitagal
Your Ric Rac is beautiful.
they are valued for their stem shape and ragged appearance. Their bloom is unusual and they do not bloom often.
The stringy roots are adventurous roots and should be left alone. They are natural to many hybrid epies. If found in great numbers they could indicate a moisture problem. Usually, however, they are a good thing.
The brown covering is most likely scale colonies. Insecticidal soap or alcohol/water sprayed on them and scrape with your fingernAIL to remove.
The address below will answer most of youe questions about these plants. keep it on your computer for future need, It is excellent.

http://www.theamateursdigest.com/epis.htm

I went out to my greenhouse tonight and found my April Showers full of buds. This is very early. I would bet there are 75 buds on the plant. I took the pictures below.

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9400724

Bob--Thanks for the link. I will bookmark it.

Here is the Ric Rac on my picnic table that is 5' in diameter. This was taken Oct. 2010.

I wish I could find the pic. I took late last year of it. You would get to see how big it has gotten.
I hang it outside on the E. side of my patio roof. It does not get much sun. Just some AM sun
as it passes over. It is also partially under my patio roof.
I hose it when I am watering my garden-but not much water stays in the pot.
It is solid with all the stems and frond bass.

On the scale---I do not have scale on my plants--with the exception of a Shifflera Amate that I bought at HD.
I think the scale on it came from the growers.
The yukky Epi fronds just looked gray and calloused and dry--and if I bent the frond, it looked like
it would crack.
I did not pay much attention to it this past summer--as it bloomed so nicely. It also hangs high up
from my patio roof--so I may not have noticed it. Both of the Epis are now in my LR by the bay window.

When I put it outside in beg. of May--I will look and scrub it clean if i have to and
give it a good spraying.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9400737

Here is a closer look at one of the icky fronds...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9400741

And--a closer one again. it is pitted and gray/yellow...

Would scale do all this? Or--is it just getting old?

Can something this big and old be rejuvenated in any way? Cutting it back?
Starting a whole new plant from cuttings?

How do you keep yours from tipping over on those shelves in your Greenhouse?
Pretty soon--I will have to do something. It is so lopsided and heavy and long.

Would be nice if I could just leave it outside all year--but we actually have a winter here...
Right now--it has been in the high 20's and teens at night. It won't last--they are calling for 60*
on Wednesday. We are all used to this up and down---up and down--here in Maryland.

OK! I'll leave you alone for a while...looking forward to some more answers.

Thanks again---Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 29, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9401437

All of those are gorgeous. I have had a ric rac cactus for a long time and mine has never bloomed. I know I share cuttings with some people last year or year before because it took up too much space in the greenhouse. It was huge. I am really looking forward to the blooms this year. I am hoping I get more buds.

What do you all use to label them? I keep having trouble reading the older labels even when it is written in pencil. Any ideas?
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9401595

Ibartoo: I am sold on the Brother Labeler I bought on AmaZon. I use the Brother PT1290 Home and Office Labeler w/ 1/2 inch black on white label. Adhesion in the greenhouse and outside is excellent and have lasted 3 years thus far. I put the labels on metal markers or directly on plastic pots. The machine cost $39.49 and the roll labels are around $12.00 per roll. It sounds pricey but is really a good value, especially if you have trouble keeping things labeled due to pets or cold weather.

Gitagal: I agree that what you are showing is probably not scale. I believe you might have some form of bacterial problem along with very old branches. The thread I sent you will give you the answer to trimming your plant and also possible bacterial information. It is an excellent guide.

Most of my shelves have a white 1 inch lip at the front edge which helps stabilize plants. The gallon jugs fit securely on the shelf touching the lip and the back wall. I have had a couple of crashes over the years but too few to mention.

bob
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 29, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9401725

Thanks Bob. I will check into it. I am thinking about talking hubby into stamping some for me into metal or something for right now. He needs a new "project" To help him rebuild his strength.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9401811

Bob--

This is where my plants spend the winter--at every conceivable source of light--every horizontal surface
near any light. Overkill,,I tell you!

The two Epis are in the center--I know you can tell which ones they are...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9401902

Tasteful use of plants. Makes me happy!
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 31, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9403998

I was snapping a few pics at work today and came across these two in my phone. They are the only 1/2 decent pics of the epi that is obviously not " April Showers" like she was supposed to be.

Any Idea what it might be, It only ever blooms in Nov/December?

Thanks,
Linda

Thumbnail by ibartoo   Thumbnail by ibartoo         

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9404549

Ibartoo
I really think this is April Showers. Your bloom sequence may be off. Mine is blooming 3 months early this time
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

February 1, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9404615

Wow, Thanks Bob. It has bloomed twice for me and each time has been in the greenhouse in the winter. It is absolutely gorgeous and this year it was breathtaking. More buds than ever before. The pot it is in is disintegrating, so I will have no choice but to repot it, but I am hoping it will still bloom this year.

Thanks a bunch,

Linda
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9404835

Gitagal: I'm sorry I missed your question concerning Ackermanii. I am not sure but really do not feel that this is an Ackermanii but will say that there seems to be a wide variance in what we call hybrid Ackermanii. Any mid size bloom red to orange colored bloom becomes Ackermanii. This could be because it is an old favorite and many plants have been parented with it to produce new but very similar offspring. Your bloom is prolific and beautiful.

I really like your bloom with it's shades of yellow and pink with red. Very regal looking to me. It's a winner, whatever it is. I will try to ID if possible.

DR. Rita Shaw from up in New Jersey sent me some of the nicest cuttings I have ever received of some old favorites. She has a greenhouse and her plants are outgrowing her space. I know that feeling but love watching plants mature and being able to share. Nice to know that our hobby is shared with so many great gardeners., bob

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9405201

Bob--

In your educated opinion--what has to happen to an Epi so it will bloom?

I know it probably needs to be root-bound. Yes? But then--how come mine never bloomed for 6 years
(from 2005) until 2009? And now--ever since.
Maybe my re-potting a couple years ago did the trick?

How come the Ric Rac seldom blooms? Mine is, by now, grossly root bound. It has been re-potted twice since 2005 as well.
That will, probably, not be possible to do any more. Then what happens??
I don't feed them much--maybe that is the problem?
When they are outside--I try to sometimes--but the water just runs off. It is next to impossible with the
heavy, lopsided one. I have to try and hold it level with my left hand as I try topour water on it with the right. ouch!

The 64 thousand dollar question. What is the secret???????????? Gita
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9405365

I can honestly say that none of my epies are root bound. i start them out in gallon containers and most bloom at 3 or 4 years. All my secrets I included in the above post. Sufficient light, monthly feeding (except in coldest months), and consistent moisture are the have to's. Most of us underestimate epie light needs and don't allow sufficient drying out between watering. When mine are outside, God waters, not me. I do continue fertilization though.

Your Ric Rac may not bloom regularly---at least I haven't found that so. Mine hasn't bloomed and I am told that many types don't often. bob

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9405411

Well--I am assuming that hey are root-bound--but maybe they just look that way from the top?

I have a feeling that their root systems may not be all that big--like succulents...

I do have to work harder on the watering and fertilizing...I am VERY lax about fertilizing anything once
the plants are outside. Just too hot to add another chore. Sometimes, when it gets consistently to the 90's,
I have to water everything every day. That can take an hour and a half or more.

I live alone--and there is no one to do anything except me. Besides--I am getting up there in years as well...

Gita

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9413556

orchidman1, Thank you SO much for the link to theamateurs digest…It has been VERY helpful to me and others I'm sure! GREAT SITE!!!! :-))))
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

February 15, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9419697

Bob, can you tell be if there are two different types of ric rac epi? I have the fishbone which I think is S. Anthonyanus but someone brought me some pieces of another one that looks quite different. Thanks, Linda

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9419743

Not sure on this--but I have seen pictures of what I thought was a Ric Rac, but the
"ric racs" were opposite each other--whereas on mine they alternate--
just like the trim you buy in a Fabric Store.

Orchidman--what sayeth Thou????? Gita
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

February 16, 2013
3:57 AM

Post #9420638

Thanks Gita!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9425687

Linda, I noticed you were on here and I wanted to tell you how excited I am about the cuttings you sent me back in 2011. Most have taken off like weeds and the cactus especially are doing so well. I am patiently waiting to see if when they bloom I have them marked correctly.
Thanks so much for bringing such joy into my life. Love you. JB

Between you and Gita, I have lots of new babies to watch grow. You are both very special.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

February 20, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9425739

Love you too JB, Yes, I am on very little. This is really the only forum I keep up with. Every now and then I check FB to see if anyone posts. I hope your cuttings will bloom beautifully for you. Anytime you want to swap or add to your collection, just let me know. You too Gita and Orchidman. It feels good to be back.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9425763

Will let you know if and when the disocactus x hybrid cuttings I planted today show signs of life, I will let you all know and share them with you if you want any. I can always give you unrooted cuttings but shipping is out of the question until the weather gets warmer. See you all later. JB
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9426400

Gitagal-
A Ric Rac should alternate like fabric trim.
I now have buds on Space Rocket, April Showers, and Mor Mor. bob

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9426494

orchidman--

Please post pictures when the buds open...
I am curious if they will be like my one and only I have ever had on my RicRac.
So different from the other Epis.

Here it is again...Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9426666

There is so much to learn about these plants and I can not see how you tell them apart. I love the Ric Rac and maybe I have one but am too stupid to know. Some of the cuttings I got from people were not marked and now I just have a few noids but they are beautiful and growing.
I hope I live long enough to let some of the information on this thread sink in. You people are amazing. JB
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9428142

And I think you are amazing for being able to grow CC and TC to sell. The blooms fell off all I bought this year. The one I had left over from about 15 years ago also lost all it's blooms. Luciee {;^)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America