Click an image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9068565

Here is your beautiful Brug Allan :-) thank you very much for the swap, I will send some of any seeds I may be lucky enough to make back to you if you are interested, wish me luck ...my doubles are all opening at once by the look of things so keep your fingers crossed that we may achieve some double kids out of this Autumn.
Fernando has had to deal with many adverse conditions here but once the sun came out, so did the buds !
Tenshi shyly pokes a bloom out from behind leaves as long as my arm ! (pic 1)
Twilight Time and Zabaglione (pic 2)
Ditto (pic3)
M T (Alistair) (pic 4)
Tenshi in pale mode (pic 5) she goes a deep Coral in heat.

We came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1247588/

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 3, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9068584

Good one Chrissy! Ours is yet to bloom.
I have been trying to contact Allan Little (email bounce) to let him know about a seedling of his that came into full bloom yesterday...
'Musketeer' x 'Fernando'
One of the seedlings has bloomed. Over 12 flowers in this first flush!
As you can see, a single that is very long (400mm).

I am impressed with the number of blooms and the length of the flowers.

Not quite a white or pink, but an elegant bloom with good genes.

Fernando is yet to bloom.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 3, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9068589

Forgot to add Allan...
Please let me send some cuttings if you would like them.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9068615

hi there Chrrisy and wayne hope you both had a good break.
Chrissy all your babies are lloking great the spring and summer was bad but it looks like the Autumn is going to have a bounty for you this years.

Wayne, the cross you have seeded for alan looks amazing and the length is outstanding it should now be crossed with a double to see if the length will be kept

I hav many plants in bud i think all my aurea are in but but 1
i have 2 apricots with im crossing to validate 1 or the othere.
Butterboom is flowering also EP, WR, Knightii (X:2places) DRC, Tantra, DP'n'G, sanguinea 'Yellow' Culebra is in a flush mode with about 10 flowers coming
SB, Munchausen, and a few others are coming throw

crossing aurea to aurea to to check the validity and see if many are 1 in the same

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 11:32 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9068648

I have to say that loooong white would rival Avalanche ! Wayne, thanks for the picture.

Sounds like you are doing very well Shaun ...I will be ruining quite a few of my doubles over the next few days (going in through the sides to pollinate them.
You know I did a cut open of the blooms that are being open pollinated in an effort to understand why and guess what I found !
The mummy bit is way down low towards the end of the opening compared to the ones that have mummy high up in the bloom.
I found that quite interesting.
PP has set pods in just about every bloom without my help, so has LP no 9,Earth Angel x Pink Smitty and Axelrose.
I just hope Winter won't be too harsh, though some of these pods may mature before the frosts.
The ones I am hovering over are doubles to doubles (my deliberate crosses) ...doubles made here would be the ultimate, for me a twirly whirly (heavenly scented) white my ultimate goal.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9068675

Chrissy, I think that after your Big Wet you are getting spring, summer and autumn blooms all at once LOL (BTW, can you remind me what M T Alistair is?) Fernando is a wonderful bloomer, judging by your pics here and Allan's earlier one showing his plant just dripping with blooms. And the blooms are so big. And scented. A heavily-blooming giant scented coloured double brug--pretty much ticks all the boxes! Unless you're looking for the perfect double white ;-)

Wayne, you need a tape measure for your Musketeer x Fernando seedling--a 30cm ruler just isn't long enough! (BTW, what are you feeding your brugs to get them to bloom so quickly, dammit: enquiring minds want to know!!) The blooms look white--do they acquire a tint as they age? PS I'm not complaining about it being white, just responding to your description of it as being not quite a white or pink. Very regal and quite arresting, aren't they? And fabulous genes of course ...

Shaun, glad you got the seeds this time: it pays to look into the bottom of the package! (Recycled envelope, hence the US stamps.) Looks like you're about to get a bloom explosion too ...

Meanwhile, my Pink Smitty x Dorthea#2 has another (small) flush. The flower looks looks ugly when viewed head-on but the tendrils are gorgeous when viewed side-on or from above. It does remind me a little of Musketeer, the way one side of it is curled up like a hat--a musketeer's hat, of course! I guess you'd call the pollen hot--look at the seedpods on it. Virtually every flower I've pollinated has set a pod. When this flush first opened a few days ago, I walked past the white not-quite-unfurled blooms at dusk and got the most intense perfume--of vanilla! The vanilla tone is not as strong now but this is a perfume I hope it passes on to its seedlings.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 11:07 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 3, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9068682

Boy, isn't Autumn wonderful, all these flushes and new cvs and finally getting to see Fernando flower...
My Fernando is about a week away...but with these hot days who knows...
I am not certain cestrum but MT could be Meroo Totty?
Allan's crosses of OA x Fernando and Musketeer x Fernando, have Y'd but no signs of flowers yet...I think they will probably be Spring babies.
PP is my promiscuous one and I think that Ivoire might be the same.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9068707

I fall in love with the Earth Angel x Pink Smitty tendrils and yours look very similar to mine don't they ? this one in this picture set so many pods ! (without my help) ...I did not bother because this plant kept ditching the buds in the rain and I thought no way that it would carry seed pods, but it has, maybe because we finally have some dry weather (hopefully it won't be too hot for crosses).
My first season making seeds was wet too, I wonder if the wet conditions aid in the open pollination as well, I have a feeling that it helps so long as there is no wind, and the rain isn't too heavy. We are having delightful foggy mornings now and that keeps things nice and damp (for crossing ) but then the day is pretty warm, much warmer than Summer was.
Guess we will find out when we harvest the donated pods,if it has worked. Maybe only one or two seeds in each one if it was a bee that only dropped one or two pollen grains. You can see here who the pollen donor probably is ...up close and personal. Maybe some lovely whites.
This is how we learn.
edited to fix my reverse cross ...fixed now :)

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 9:06 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9068709

Yes sorry it is Merroo Totty :)
I think PP is somehow related to Sugar Pink Dianne.
Love love love Autumn !
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 3, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9068747

Hopefully this connection holds... not too sure what is the problem with my access to Dave's.
Not to worry, sort it later.
Glad to be back if just to read and pop in as much as possible.

Lots of open pollinated pods here on anything with a 'Pink Panther' background. Also on 'Clementine'. Have mentioned to Chrissy a pod on her 'Twilight Time'... nothing to do with me! :)
Taking very much care of this potted plant over winter...
Also, another open pollinated pod on a seedling of 'GHA' x 'Butter Bomb', seed from Chrissy! So this will be interesting. This plant is in the nursery next to another seedling 'Old Apricot' x 'MP'... both were in flower at the same time.

Cestrum, our plants get mainly Dynamic Lifter with a three month Osmocote when in pots. Ground grown plants get the same plus a mulch of cow manure.

I have been working outside on some treated pine nursery benches... Allan's seedling is keeping me company. I keep looking up from my work and admire those perfectly vertical, 400 mm blooms. In the sunlight they glisten!

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 3, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9068861

You mentioned Ivoire's mother, Chrissy...here is her son this morning.
I know it's painful having to look at him all the time...but he loves blue skies...lol

Just had a thought, when all of the Ivoire cuttings grow tall, he will be looking out over, NSW, SA and Croydon and Merino in Victoria...are you sure you don't want him cestrum? lol

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 1:44 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9068895

Never apologise for posting photos of your beloved, Dianne! (Blue sky background does look a treat too.) So post away. Just wish you could upload the perfume too :-)
I did break my own rule just recently and exchanged brugs with Shaun, taking a cutting of his Dr Seuss to complement my own Dr Seuss X. I'll find a spot for it of course but really, no more! No more LOL
Here is one of the good blooms from one of the double pinks--so many have been deformed this season. What I find interesting is the existence of definite yellow tones amid the pink--that's not just a quirk of the camera ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9068903

Post away Dianne I know how you feel :-) and it's such a good one !

cestrum that's lovely , the subtle yellows in the rinse are certainly beautiful. names ??? lol :-)

Oh Wayne that sounds so wonderful ! the blooms are mesmerizing aren't they ?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9068906

No name ... not worth naming because of the number of deformed blooms.
I'm hoping the seedlings won't have that problem.
PS Read something about separated anthers (as on yours, Dianne) signifying something about the percentage of aurea in a brug? Or perhaps I got it wrong ...?
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9068909

Chrissy... Good to see that Fernando is finally going to bloom for you. Hope you like it when it opens fully. Obviously Fernando does not like the hot Australian Summer temps. My Fernando bush has flushed, but is continuing to produce new buds. I did give him some good flowering fertilizer which helps a lot!!
Looks like Wayne and Dianne will also soon have Fernando blooms.

Wayne..thanks for showing me the seedling blooms of Musketeer X Fernando. It is a very long bloom indeed and I love the bloom form. I hope it has a nice perfume. A coloured double bloom would have been preferable but 'white' appears to be very dominant. I think I gave you some seeds of the reverse cross which may be more likely to produce a double seedling. Wayne I have a new email address as I had to change server. I will D-mail you with my email.
Allan..

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9068923

The yellow in the bloom looks lovely, you would think that it would help with the melon colour, mixing with the pink.
I read that too, cestrum...on Bgi...the poster said that the separated anthers did signify a high proportion of Aurea in the brug...can't remember which flower he was talking about though.

Won't be long now, Allan...it feels like years...woe betide any bugs that go near him now...lol

pssst...I think that the PPfasc. is holding it's ovaries, maybe all 5...not speaking out loud just in case.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9068928

Er, does that mean 5 seedpods from that amazing 10-pointed flower? Is that possible--you'll need to provide the equivalent of one of those pregnancy belly support belts for the poor thing! (Well, at least some pantyhose ...)
Now I'm going to have a look at all my aureas when they flower, to check out the anthers ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9068941

Fernando is very healthy Alan it is nudging the clothesline in the cottage area, I put it in there under the cover of plastic netting after we had the terrible hail. It has many buds and I see further small ones forming, I have had so much rain that I had to nip the tips out in order to let the water out of the buds, all of my poor Brugs have had way too much water.
Fernando has done very well, it dropped some buds in awful weather but as soon as the weather improved it got going straight away, this is quite common for doubles.
The seedling from Fernando is very Elegant ...congratulations to you and Wayne .

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9068943

PP fasc #1 had 2 ovaries
#2 had 2 ovaries
and #3 was a fused ovary, two in one...
=5

If it does occur they'll all be in pantyhose before they know it...all the ones that I have pollinated are wearing
the ankle hose...they look very much like sausages hanging there...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9068955

Lol cestrum

check the calyx too, the neck is always covered with more than one slit if it is heavily Aurea.

chrissy

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9068964

Proper support pantyhose is what they'll need, Dianne!

OK, then. Aurea characteristics:
1. Small flower and classic aurea fragrance described as honey/almond. (But that's not how it smells to me! I mean, what do almonds smell like--I can only think of almond essence. And I can't smell that in the aureas. As for honey, putting aside my leatherwood honey which is quite distinctive and can't be called a classic 'honey' fragrance, I think of the ordinary buddlejas ... and the aureas smell a lot better than those. Anyway, I digress, as usual ...)
2. Separated anthers (i.e. not fused).
3. Two or more slits on the calyx.

Yellow/gold/cream/white are the most common colours, I know, but we've got some true pinks with a lot of aurea in them ...

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 2:04 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9068993

Think almond honey nougat with butterscotch toffee coating.
Milky honey, think warmed milk with honey stirred into it.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9068996

chrissy100 wrote:Think almond honey nougat with butterscotch toffee coating.

Dunno how that smells ... but it sounds *delicious*!
Where can that? To eat, I mean?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9069008

http://www.thekitchn.com/taste-of-provence-nougat-de-mo-122326
you haven't had one ? ...here is recipe ...I chucked the toffee note in :-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9069022

I've eaten nougat (and I remember seeing it being made on TV--I don't like it enough to do that!). But I don't remember the *smell* of it. Just its sweet chewiness. Not an evocative (olfactory) memory for me, alas.

Not surprisingly, the key to good/early blooms seems to be lots of fertiliser! I've been pretty good on the watering but slack there. I would also add sufficient sunlight, as quite a few of mine are in shade (my canopy at last!) and that seems like a sure way of deferring flowering/first flowering for a year or two. (But it does protect against frost!)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 3, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9069025

Plus we have lots of seedlings with the genuine pink Rothkirch in them...that's if it is the genuine pink Rothkirch?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 3, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9069030

There used to be a chocolate bar that was Honey and Almond...about 5 separate pieces with a whole almond in the centre of a caramel liquid..add a bit of butterscotch to that bar, not too much and you have it..an Aurea.

Jean, where are you?...I hope you're not out in that sun...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9069036

Seachanger wrote:Plus we have lots of seedlings with the genuine pink Rothkirch in them...that's if it is the genuine pink Rothkirch?

In my case particularly thru the Rubiline group via Dorthea. Which probably explains the smaller blooms. (Mind you, I didn't know mine were smaller blooms until I eventually realised how big the others were!)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
12:04 AM

Post #9069057

well iv been away for 3 hours and have come back to a flurry of info

Alan it looks like your getting an number of crosses with doubles in them congrats

Cestrum i cant tell the difference between honey & oats but my aurea's have a different fragrance from each other im not 100% sure which is the strongest and best to my nose but i don't care as my yard smells Beautiful with the aurea & suaveolend perfume wafting throw
and yes you did brake your rule's hahaha i knew some one could but i did not think it would be one of my BABIES hahah

Dianne post away i do like seeing the pics in different poses

Chrissy looks like your going to have no time again on your hands with all of those beautiful blooms and all of the new 1's coming throw also

I have started a few seed in Perlite and it seems to have worked in about 6days i have germination of Phanomenal X.? so should be interesting to see what comes from this way of propagation and i have put all of yours in this way also Cestrum!!

Cestrum ????? what is your name?????do you mind ??????
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 4, 2012
12:24 AM

Post #9069061

That must be a (Phanomenal x Superspot) x unknown cross. I'm looking forward to seeing those bloom too ... what are the odds that they'll be pink LOL Although maybe not, as the seedling parent (i.e. the PxS) has yellow tinges amid the pink too. I hope there's a yellow lurking there somewhere ...
It's just cestrum, Shaun Wayne

This message was edited Apr 5, 2012 6:44 AM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
1:17 AM

Post #9069067

Cestrum i got mine from Germany as Phanomenal X so i realy hope ther eis something special there i do like this variety so what ever comes from it will be fine by me

i hope (PxS) shows you a few interesting blooms when it dose show it's face in the next 12-18months
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 4, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9069848

I misunderstood, Shaun; thought you were referring to the Phanomenal x Superspot crosses I'd sent you ... which should have germinated by now, as the batch I'm thinking of was posted last year.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9069895

cestrum the seed that were sent early November 2 ssed lots did not germinate
Golden Butter' X. Pink Sweetie* (* Bruce's Pink x.Alphonse Mucha)
('Phanomenal' x.'Superspot') X.Unknown
Sorry to say that but this is the luck of the draw when it comes to seed i have about 10 -12 seed lots that have not done anything at all

I have not had much success with crosses that have Sam & Phanomenal .
i must say that i it is my full 1st season of germinating many see batches at 1 time

but as time goes by im learning very quick about what & how to germinate, Im now working with perlite and have had seed germinate in 6days very quick

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 4, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9069904

Yes, it does happen with some batches. Don't know offhand whether those batches failed for me too (I've lost so many to snails/wilt etc that I've just stopped noting them down) but I do know that one batch failed for us all, despite having viable-looking kernels. So nothing to do with your germination techniques. Some seeds definitely do germinate faster than others, some can surprise you by germinating four months later, and some are simply duds. BTW, 6 days at any time of year is very fast! (For a warm-climate brug. But some seeds are so viable that they start sprouting while being soaked in water before sowing.)

This message was edited Apr 5, 2012 7:37 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 4, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9069925

PP is opening. Pics later .

Shaun, I have the same thing happen here. Its not us , its the seeds.
I have had seeds germinate in the greenhouse in winter and some wont germinate at all even in the warm weather .
Its the same in nature. Imagine if all seeds germinated ? We would be over run with plants.

I have been using those coir bricks for years both with perlite for seeds and mixed in potting mix for plants.
I have found here , that if I keep my seeds wet, they do better.
I use the biodegradable pots which sit in plastic trays, I buy my sweet potatoes in . Just right for 6 pots each.
I water every few days and I keep just enough water in the bottom to keep the pots damp .
The trays all sit in the mini greenhouse inside the large greenhouse first, then graduate to the benches . From there once potted into 8"pots , they go to the shadehouse. . I know this works for me, but every place is different.

Some of my nice looking buds fell off a couple of the brugs yesterday but most are hanging on.
I am going out to try another lot of pollen on GHA as hes the only one fully out at the moment.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 4, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9070006

I've had terrific success in seed germination generally by placing the individual pots/cells of seeds into a shut mini-propagator in a warm spot outside in dappled light with a little bit of water in the base, half a cm initially although it's been four times that after rain (which manages to get in thru the closed vents anyway). That is, the cells have actually been sitting in up to 2cm of water. Note: this has worked only in warm weather, and only outside (there seem to be problems with gnats in the mix etc inside for some reason.) Plus, I generally pour out the excess every week or so to avoid it becoming stagnant.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9070135

Oh P x SS looks wonderful ! cestrum

Gosh you must be frustrated Jean ...I have felt like that all Summer but it's on for young and old right now as it seems Summer has decided on a late arrival ! (grrr not good for crosses- but you never know)

Seeds can be quite contrary Shaun, sometimes you give up and chuck them out and suddenly up they pop ! I found out the hard way ... :-) quite early on. It was only the imported seeds, that is when I started peeling one in ten seeds to check for viability.

Well I have been out just before dawn to take advantage of the cool moist air, hence some pics are a bit dark. I dusted doubles to doubles (I really hate hurting the beautiful blooms, but it is the only way to do it with them). Fernando has a lovely big landing strip, not hard to find at all and was easy access, I only did two because I want some pretty Brugs in their final stage to show you Allan, and everyone. I hope the day heat won't stall the seeds setting, but I have to try. I crossed Heart of Gold to it and T T (can't reach FFA) The pollen in him (Fernando) is not yet fluffy, it was fluffy in my blooms so they were donors.
I am sorry the pictures are not of the individual plant but after the hail I panicked and moved precious Brugs into the cottage garden for more protection, hubby threw a plastic net thingy over the clothes line in that area. So of course the Brugs are jostling for room. The weeds are nuts in there too because it gets the run off from the cottage roof when it rains so it has been quite a swamp. I managed to do some more of the Heart of Gold to TT and visa versa, the funny thing is that they both have the same shaped pods (different to all the other pods) sort of stubby fat shorter types. The open pollinated on Axelrose is like a fat finger, The ones on LP no 9 are long thin ones (just like versicolor ones-so far anyway) EA x PS are like a mix of both. Pods on BB are almost like Aurea but slightly elongated, the huge Pods on PP are like a long cucumber with a pointed end. I am finding the pods quite fascinating.
I can see Elfin Pink going off it's head down in the jungle section but I don't dare go in there because we have seen two Brown snakes and the red bellied blacks were guests in there in past Summers, so sad to say I can't visit a lot of my lovely Brugs down in that section.Elfin Pink is towering above the others.
Well here is a few of Fernando this morning ...I couldn't smell anything but it may have a fragrance at twilight tonight.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9070157

Further shots of Fernando
I have had severe bug attacks and pulled slugs and snails out of the plants and blooms his morning, the constant rain has presented me with filigree leaves and some chewed blooms.

It's wonderful to watch the different colours at play here in this Brug ...thanks again Allan, I hope you are proud :-)

This message was edited Apr 5, 2012 12:09 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9070168

Here are some quick shots (I ripped into some of them after the pics)
Meroo Totty can hardly reach it and I had to pull it forward and reach up to remove a big fat grey slug from one of these lovely blooms. grrrr. This has much improved since it's first flush. I really love it !

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9070191

Tenshi ...I took some pollen and donated some pollen (EA x PS) and visa versa. pic 1
open pollinated pods on EA x PS. pic 2
FFA out reach as usual ...but waiting on the short one that is about to bloom again. pic 3
E A x PS with a pod. pic 4
T T with pods ... fingers crossed (no hail this time !) pic 5
Note my pods are not marked on the TT Brug because I am only crossing her with other doubles so far only Heart of Gold, in another week or so I will add a tag, just making sure the pod is maturing well before I mess with a tag, it's all written down.
I am so happy the doubles are all commencing their flushes at the same time, luckily these ones keep opening for a while, this warm temp thing will end on Monday and I will be ready and waiting .
Hopefully the frosts will be late this year so the pods can mature without injury.
I hope you are all busy or getting ready to be busy when the temps are right for dusting :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9070201

In the 2 pic above you can see uneven fertilization ...you don't know how many seeds will be in there, see how uneven it is ?
The no three pic above is even so hopefully it means good fertilization.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 4, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9070206

Look at all those blooms!! You used to dream about this, Chrissy :-)
Interesting how many of the Fernando blooms have the long inner/short outer skirt combo. Seems to happen quite frequently, as both of my double pinks have some blooms like this. (And then occasionally the blooms will be reversed, where they look like singles because the inner skirt has not dropped, although this isn't as frequent.) It's a push/pull feeling when it comes to pollinating the blooms. On the one hand, of course you want to breed from them. On the other, you want to leave the blooms on the plant to watch them all the way to maturity and just enjoy the beauty (and fragrance) of them. (Although I do find that mutilated blooms generally retain their fragrance.) Ah, what a dilemma :-)

PS I take as many photos as I can before cutting open the blooms too, often filling up the memory card before I'm finished and having to go inside to download the photos so I can clear the memory card and take another round of images!

This message was edited Apr 5, 2012 11:46 AM
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 4, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9070277

Chrissy your pictures of your Brugs are outstanding...taken like a true photographer, so much love goes into your photos, it really shows...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 4, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9070323

Fernando is really looking good, Chrissy and Allan...I like the separation between the skirts...

Now Chrissy, remember back in October last year, I had 2 plants, both of which produced single lemony/yellow flowers, you identified the smaller bush which had a lot of flowers as Angioletto...
The taller growing one only had the one single flower, which was very confusing because it was supposed to be FFA...well the smaller growing Angioletto stayed small and has since flowered again.
But the taller one grew even taller and this week produced these flowers.
Obviously he is taking a while to acclimatize...so next Spring will be interesting...take note of the corkscrew
corolla teeth in the last pic.
Jean, I wonder what yours will do?

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9070340

Flowering here too, if you want him up close, you need to cut a bit of the stem from below the Y (include the Y ) and plant it, I forgot I did that, and finally I have pollen to use and I can smell the bloom too.
He likes warm weather.
Glad he bloomed for you Dianne

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9070342

Awww Mya ...does it really show ? what a lovely thing to say. :-)
I love my Brugs .
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 4, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9070343

Sure, FFA is pretty ... But the smell, the smell--divine :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9070346

Came back to say Dianne use the pollen if you can cross it to one of your doubles if possible otherwise a brug with a double parent or two :)

Oh cestrum you should smell the air around here as soon as the Sun starts to sink ...true true heaven.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 4, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9070351

I believe it, Chrissy. But there's something about the perfume of FFA that just hits the spot for me--I think the smell centre of my brain quivered in delight when I smelt it!
Have you had a chance to smell it yet, Dianne?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2012
11:30 PM

Post #9070374

It comes from New Orleans Lady evidently it is famous for it's scent hence the choice of that cross, I was after that perfume and tendrils, I never thought I would get colour ! I am pretty sure it must have inherited that stunning fragrance from NOL.

It would be so lovely to have generations of FFA kids with that same stunning fragrance.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 4, 2012
11:55 PM

Post #9070378

Yes cestrum, it is lovely...when they all flower, I imagine the perfume will be very strong.
There is a smaller branch about a metre high that has flowers on it too...that's the one that I am going to use as a cutting...
The main stem will go into the ground and the small one will stay in a pot.
At the moment, GHA and Macedon are scenting the whole garden and near to the back door Knightii, Tantra and Clementine and now FFA are doing their thing.
A few more days to Fernando yet, but another double noid is about to flower, it's only a noid until I transplant it and locate the tag in the pot...and the last of the Apricot Versicolor seedlings will be open tomorrow.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 5, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9071011

I'm watching PP still. He doesnt want to come out and see me. ( pic 1 )

Look at the tendrils all bunched up in the 2nd pic. This is my seedling Genevieve x Rothkirch.
I think it will open before PP.

pic 3 ... buds on OE

Bb has had a fit and tossed half the buds on the ground. Even some large ones went , but plenty more to open. ( pic 4)

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9071115

Do you think you have a double in that second one Jean ...it looks full ! Good luck with it.

Well up very early to do the deed with the doubles, I found two E.Pink blooms and used their pollen on PP (had two blooms not yet unfurled on PP so hopefully I got in there before the pixies that are open pollinating all the rest.

I took some pics, did some potting and we have enjoyed our Hot Cross Buns for breakfast, I look forward to them all year, with real butter ...mmmm !

•.ΈΈ.•*`. ❤..(―`••΄―)
...(\(\(―`••΄―)*•.Έ.•*/)/) ✽
✽..(=':')•.Έ.•*...(':' ✽
...o((")(")..─❤─..(")("),)

HAPPY EASTER ...may it be a safe and blessed one.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9071123

Fernando today ...:-) I think this length comes from versicolor.
Nice strong tendrils ...I think this will throw triples with a bit of maturity just like TT and FFA does, I am only crossing my doubles to each other and Fernando this year so as to ensure the best possible outcome for double brugs in the seeds.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9071130

Fernando ... hopefully I haven't doubled up on any :-) it was a joy to take these pics , as we know you can never truly capture the true radiant beauty of these lovely things, but anyone who has one knows that they are real heart tuggers.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9071138

Now I found a little Easter baby down amongst the weeds and snails, I almost missed this little cutie ! I love it Shaun, a real little fairy flower, tiny as can be !
The tiniest Brug I have ever seen ! very arresting.Most certainly a pink Aurea ! I will be putting it in the ground next Spring.
Thanks so much !

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9071150

Finally ...just bits and pieces,the last being a pale Butter Bomb and her FFA baby pod. Hoping it will survive our Winter.
Easter represents new life so I thought it a nice one to finish with.

•.ΈΈ.•*`. ❤..(―`••΄―)
...(\(\(―`••΄―)*•.Έ.•*/)/) ✽
✽..(=':')•.Έ.•*...(':' ✽
...o((")(")..─❤─..(")("),)
:-)

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9071173

well in the garden i have started crossing Aztec Gold with OA, EP, FP & Dr Seuss
i have started to collect pollen for spring also,

here are a few pics i gathered in the last day or so
1: suaveolens (1022)
2: aurea (Barkley St)
3: 'Apricot' (1023) = 'Old Apricot'
4: Candida (Peach) = 'Old Apricot'
5: sanguinea 'Midas'

unlike all of you i dont have doubles to work with at present so i have to work on 'Knightii' which i dont mind he has about 6 pods forming on him and trying to get 'AG' to work on him also to start a yellow range of australian doubles, if there is any type of out come i would be greatfull,

Chrissy thats sounds realy good crossing doubles to each other.
Hvae you thought of crossing the siblings of a cross back to them which should bring out better traits from the cross?

Jean, G x.R looks as chrissy said a double dose it feel that way???
good luck all with the potential crosses that may come about

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9071264

Really lovely pics, all the singles and doubles look great...

GHA is really flushing at the moment and with Macedon right next to it, the perfume from around 5 is intoxicating...
Zabaglione is just starting up, too. the perfume on it stays around most of the day...

Put the Iochroma in for contrast...pretty thing.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9071268

Shaun, do you think Midas is different to the yellow sang you mentioned? Could try x crossing them to find out...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9071273

Lucas Midas and my yellow sanguines are 1 in the same i got this information from Alistair

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/22933-yellow-sanguinea/

wish i had 2 different yellow sang's would be a handfull

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9071292

Shaun, can you please quote that info, I cannot see it.

I saw some midas for sale, badly virus infected. I got a yellow one from the burbs, could be midas, see some roots forming on a cutting now. my sangs are still flowering in 31 degree temps..
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9071296

Chrissy, you've sent my internet connection into meltdown and I've only now managed to get it back up again LOL
I know this isn't how it works but I'm going to ask anyway--any chance you could dust some FFA pollen over a bloom from Shaun's dwarf pink aurea? Because I'd stick my hand up for some seeds from that cross LOL The first-gen cross mightn't be as good as either parent, but it will carry genes from both and that's what excites me ...
Shaun, I'm about 1800km away from you but I can still hear the yearning in your words :-) Remember that Chrissy started importing doubles a year or two before the rest of us and so now she is literally reaping what she has sown! Just give yourself a couple of years and you'll be rolling in beautiful blooms too :-)
That yellow sanguinea is a gem--hope you've got something to breed it with. And you've got the cold-climate seedlings going too, right? Incredible potential there ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9071302

What lovely pictures are being posted !
Wow those GHA blooms are going off Dianne ! it has hot pollen and is a great mummy too.
The Iochroma is just lovely, my coral coloured one is out too but it does not bloom as profusely as the lilac one.

Shaun your dwarf pink and green is so cute, teensy tiny thing :-) I almost didn't see it down there under the pots.

Good luck tracking those cool climate babies and Aurea boys.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9071307

Dianne: wow, GHA has gone to town in your garden--it looks superb--so good it looks almost fake!
My Pink Smitty x Dorthea#2 is retaining some scent during the day too, despite the warm temps ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9071308

I am so delighted with this little baby pink Aurea I will send Shaun a double, Shaun which one do you want ?

cestrum, the little mummy bit was already brown when I found the bloom ,it was actually sticking out of the bloom like someone poking their tongue out. :)

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9071322

Ah well, too late then. I wonder if the bees got to it?
It's such a pretty little pink aurea--different from any other that we are growing--but it was the combo of the two (it and FFA) that really got me excited ...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9071325

Is Wayne the only person so far who has brought a FFA seedling to flower? (From memory it was a single pink.) Did it have the FFA scent?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9071332

Sorry I had to go get something for Hubby before I could comment on your pretty bloom cestrum.
It's very pretty isn't it.
I promise to be alert for the next one (bloom) and try to dust it with FFA.
I got quite a surprise to see it bloom so quickly, most unexpected, it was hiding under a big leaf !
Only found it while pulling out some weeds.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9071342

Alistair has flowered it (remember the poached egg comment lol) and also Allan.
now Dianne too.
Alistair commented on the "superb scent" so yes.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9071346

It's worth weeding now and again :-) Does it have a name--is it a named cultivar? (dwarf PinkNGreen?)
Shaun's not going to forget this Good Friday in a hurry--however will he choose which of your delightful doubles to grow :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9071347

Sorry misread the post, I don't know if anyone has flowered a seedling by FFA except Wayne though I sent some out.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9071350

Yes it is Dwarf Pink and Green from that bloke up North.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9071351

Ah ok, you've pre-empted me!
I agree with Alistair: the scent of FFA is magnificent. (Inherited from New Orleans Lady, you said.)
I hope the seedlings inherit it too ...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9071356

I don't remember the poached egg comment, but obviously you have!
In the few flushes I've had so far, there's been quite a variation in the FFA blooms--some look almost single because the inner skirt hasn't descended, some look looser, some more tightly bunched together, some paler, none of them ugly. They tend to have a very pleasing 'chubbiness' about them, those blooms--a cherubic chubbiness :-) Regardless of shape or colour, all smell superb ...

Typos fixed

This message was edited Apr 6, 2012 1:08 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9071360

Wayne had a pink that was a GHA cross (one pink out of all yellows), it was one of my seeds.
Having witnessed the prolific pods set by donors, I would say that it may have been an odd grain of pollen from something else.
I have a bloom flowering that is supposed to be a FFA cross, but I am doubting it because it is too huge, not sure what it is really.
I have a lot of plants yet to bloom from that cross, so I will wait to see what happens, who knows with Brugs. These days I am very very careful how I deal with a deliberate cross,( else something got there before you did.)

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9071368

No doubt there are some named cultivars whose parents--the pollen donors--are not those attributed to them because an insect did the pollination before the person did ... It does mean tying up the bloom before it opens, quite difficult to do when you're thinking of how beautiful that bloom would look if it were left to open and mature ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9071369

You will find it is one that improves with maturity ...well at least here.
TT is very stable right from the start (but she is less messed with gene wise).
Heart of Gold is one that keeps getting better too.
You hear these same comments on all the sites across the pond, that the doubles usually get better as they age and I agree after watching them.

chrissy.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9071380

Of course conditions matter quite a bit too.
Some like it hot !
Some like it cool or temperate.
Wind, humidity etc.

chrissy.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9071392

And all like that lovely rich market-garden soil in your garden :-)
Here's a FFA bloom from December with the inner skirt tucked up inside.
You can see why I called it cherubic :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9071397

Chrissy & Cestrum, i don't know which 1 was offering a double ahhahah i got lost when you guys were talking about crossing DP'n'G x.FFA sounds a right treat but i also think crossing Fernando x.DP'n'G would also throw wonderful babies. but i cant really state much about crossing as yet as i have not the experience. but it would sound great.

DP'n'G is from up north and i was told it was a bad bloomer "Not named" but i threatened my plant with the compost heap and i have had the best flush since i got it about 5-6 years ago im so proud of it. The seed parent has not named it at this time but i should email and ask if it is likely to be named in the future?????

cestrum im sighing over all of the Beautiful New Brug BABIES coming throw now and i do know im a bit behind and that's is my issue, i can still get jealous of all of them and that's fine i have seed and a few plants that can help me get some where like all of you which i envy
Love you all for your kindness and help to build my collection in such a short period
Shaun

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 11:35 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9071399

Wow that sure looks different.
Like a chubby starfish ! but cute ...did I tell you FFA in the shorter plant in the shade looks quite orange to the naked eye and it's tendrils are funny too, I will see if I took a picture of it ...I am not sure !
Ok I found it...it looks pale in the shot and a bit stressed but in real life it is quite orange ...I never have had FFA in shade so I am wondering if that makes a difference in the colour ...you know Gelato colours and all that.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9071403

They're such chameleons, aren't they? Here's a shot of the same bloom from another angle.
I like FFA in all its forms :-)

Shaun, it was Chrissy who was asking you to choose a double from her selection--a heavenly choice you've got there! You'll have to pour yourself a stiff drink before you work your way thru the photos she has posted :-)

I'm glad you didn't throw your little pink aurea away! Did I understand you correctly--that it isn't a named cultivar? And that the person who crossed/grew it hasn't actually named it?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9071406

I forgot HOPE which is probably more your thing Shaun, so far only a semi double but it's pretty special.
I have rooted ones.
This plant had been hit by a huge storm and Hail but survived better than most of the others last year so it looks a bit battered and torn.
What about this one ? Bloomed at 3/4ft.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9071407

I was going to photograph these tomorrow, but going by the forecast, they will be very bashed about by then.
The first one is the last of the Apricot Versi seeds to flower...a nice white long Versi cross...the corolla doesn't have the Versi shape but on those long calyx it is attractive, smells nice too.

Then there is the white double that flowered in Jan, that I was holding out hopes for...no chance to see what it will do now I wouldn't think, maybe a couple of late buds might flower...
It's the Angel's Flight x Charleston...there is plenty of material up that skirt...we will just have to wait and see.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9071409

It is named cestrum Dwarf Pink and Green, but that bloke up North never gave the breeding info.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9071410

Been blowing a a gale here all day. I wish I could bring my budding children inside but they are all too big and one is in the ground anyway.
Hubby says a change is supposed to be coming...thunderstorms...waaahhhhhh
I dont want wind or thunderstorms...
I want to see my babies pop out first, then it can do what it likes.

I tried more pollinating on GHA yesterday and tied the blooms because I do get lots of bees.
Nothing happened last time so I will keep trying.

Loving all the pics of beautiful blooms. Shaun , your DP&G is such a darling.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9071414

Oh it certainly looks stuffed Dianne ...good luck with it !
Very nice shape on the versi, if it is day one it could change colour yet.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9071417

Thanks for straightening that out, Chrissy. Shame we can't find out--or at least, haven't yet--who Dwarf P&G's parents were.
Shame you've had so much rain, ruining so many promising blooms ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9071418

Think cool damp and still for great crossing Jean.
Other conditions are against it, but if any Brug can do it, GHA can.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9071419

sorry i forgot to mention that with DP'n'G yu have to be very early to get the pollen on even before the calyx splits as the style is out of the bloom with in the calyx so its 1 of the more unusual varieties.
I find it a bit hard to pollinate but work on it all the time i have a pod DP'n'G x. Frosty Pink si it will be a (suavaur) i think i'm getting better with these groupings hahaha

I think it could have some thing like Ruffles and Flourishes or even Rothkirch in it buy the way it pokes it's tong out but Ruffles and Flourishes(2009) is a bit late for this a 1

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 11:36 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9071423

Ah, I've lost track of who's posted what. Suffice to say, it's a shame wherever the weather spoils the blooms, esp. the first flushes ...
Very interesting info, Shaun--great photo too. My brugs tend to go the other way, eg the suaveolens take a while to drop the style. It doesn't leave you much time to get to it, does it? By the time you see the pink bloom, it's too late!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9071427

You would have to capture that style before the calyx opens for sure. I would open the bloom up before the calyx splits.
So Shaun which one do you want ?
HOPE ? the semi double yellow ?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9071429

Jean, you must protect Genevieve x Rothkirch...it's the first of the Rothkirch...
we should make a human shield around it...We will be there soon.
Ray's not much help, he'll fall over at the first puff of wind...but he'll try.
Isn't it a bummer, you get them so far then the weather wrecks them...
Hopefully it won't be too bad...

Chrissy my first FFA bloom went very much like Clementine...very orange as it aged.
Shaun, that's a very pretty pic of your DP&G...
cestrum your PS x D#2 is a lovely colour and it doesn't seem to be recurving as much as the first shots...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9071430

For those ones cestrum, you pinch the area just past the neck of the bloom and the Style is exposed (like the parting of the red sea.) ...ha ha ha I must push myself away and go burn off the hot cross buns. Sheesh I am a pitiful case ! edited to say the area towards the end of the style. It all opens up that way.

chrissy

This message was edited Apr 6, 2012 3:08 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9071437

♫ ♪♥ (,) ♫♪♥
...~.| |~ ♪ ♫ HAPPY ♫ ♪
...{░♥░}
...{░♥░♥░} ♫ BIRTHDAY ♪ ♫
.{░♥░♥░♥░}
\€€€€€€€€€€/ ♫ ♪ ♥ ♪ ♫

Gena we hope you are having a great Birthday !
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9071442

Geez, I've been doing it the crude way ... slashing the side of the bloom and then cutting off the filaments to get at the style! (And of course I accidentally cut the style off one of my Salmon Perfektion blooms--there were only two!) Pink Sweetie doesn't want to drop the style until the bloom starts to fade, and even then it's still short and rather difficult to reach.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9071444

I hadn't read that Rothkirch does that with it's style, Shaun...thanks for that...it's something to watch for.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9071445

I have a bloom on Munchausen which will open in the next few days ill love to see that a new 1 for me hahaha

i have bought these things from a $2 shop and find that thwy work wonders with keeping out the insects from pollinating or infecting the pollen
2 different sizes for 2 distinct types of issues
1: is more for your smaller blooms like aurea's and to shut the bloom from every thing
2: suaveolens & versicolor also keeping the bloom closed with out destroying it i keep them on for 2 days after i have pollinated and then allow the bloom to do as it wants

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9071453

Here is one of Dwarf Pink and Green's kids
http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1059&title=brugmansia-angel-trumpet-meroo-pink&cat=515
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9071455

I just use those green twist ties--you'll have seen them if I've sent you any cuttings. Just $2 from Bunnings for a pack of ... 100 I think. Anyway, cheap.
Meroo Pink is a seedling of Dwarf Pink and Green? Didn't know that ... Used to go to that website but stopped since my garden filled up :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9071459

If you ask me I think DP&G is amazingly like Rothchirk
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/30205/
it must be almost pure surely.
What do you think ?

edited to rectify the post.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2012 3:33 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9071461

Both very pretty, but a question for those better informed than I am!
Rothkirch is even a pale yellow in this pic: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/268787/

This message was edited Apr 6, 2012 2:37 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9071465

Chrissy this is what i though also that there could be some of Rothkirch in DP'n'G, i look as a few different pics and put Simular attributer together and sum some thing from them like i said there could have been some of Ruffles and Flourishes(2009) but very much impossible at that time as DP'n'G (2005) so that is very much out of the Question but the simular attributer are there ! well i think so long tong short aurea look with a pink color which could be influence by versicolor

Chrissy i think Hope is the work You want me to say well Hope it is then!
What is the gene pool of Hope?????

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 11:37 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9071466

Well I have seen this tiny bloom up close, it has the same open mouth and Green inside.Calyx looks the same (this may be a little longer) pictures don't always show true.
I didn't measure it, but it is less than the length of my hand from the beginning of the stem to the end (my hand isn't long) the bloom is maybe very small. Oh now I am giving myself a headache ...goodbye :) pushing away, I think I can ...I think I can ...I
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9071467

Cestrum that is the immature color as the bloom opens and like most of out blooms are not what you first see is not what you get.

that just looked like it had literally just opened that day and it could be a cooler night when it was taken, You can just get a tinny glimmer of the color change on it also, I m glade that it's not a yellow/gold color but a nice pink color i think that's why so many people love it and desire it just like all of us wanting the aurea genes this is a good one for it

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9071468

No your choice, I thought you like yellows that's all.
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/974-hope/
Here is mum
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/4362-bergfeuerjpg/
A pink that must carry yellow too (a double) dad is just Aurea but it is a Ludger cross so I am thinking heavily Aurea.
This was from Jean and I am sending one to her now the plants are happy.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9071470

Hope is a Volker Sanders cross of Bergfeuer x B. aurea.
Beautiful and pedigreed :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9071478

Told you I needed to push myself away ...grannie moment ...just come back to change it thanks cestrum, I told you I had a headache, forgot to have lunch in all the flurry :) or COFFEE !!!! :-)
Whew can you tell it's a holiday .

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 5, 2012
11:40 PM

Post #9071504

I still have two of the seedlings from the lot that Hope came from. Maybe they will turn out similar.
One had to be cut back as it was the first to be badly infested with spider mites .
A very strong grower though .
I did post a pic ages ago of one of them that grew sideways to the light .
When I moved all the other brugs over shadowing him , this was the Bergfeuer x Aurea then.
All those large stems growing up from the original.
I was so sad when I had to cut him back , but he is already up around 3'again. Growing straight this time.
Be a while before I see any flowers now.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
1:12 AM

Post #9071527

Sooooo . I have just come inside after a bit more dusting, mind you breaking my own rules because it's been hot right ...but I also wanted to beat any bugs to the blooms in case I get any more donated pods (mind you every Brug in there is beautiful !)

But what I really wanted was to check out the perfume ...can't smell anything on Fernando. But he is beautiful. Maybe later at night.
I went to take a pic but of course the battery is flat. (wonder why?)

Get a grip folks ...the Dwarf Pink and Green has one heck of a fragrance !!!!! it's wonderful ! so of course I floated back inside to report a deepening colour and an exquisite scent. If only I had known, I would have been waiting to use that pollen or dust that cheeky tongue ! :-) it's up there ! Rothkirch or not, this alone means it will be a great parent if it can pass that scent on. delicious ! very very similar to FFA cestrum !

Jean the 6 you sent me are all alive ...I sent back one of these which was the one that stays yellow in Winter but pure white in Summer (heavy aurea scent) from the same cross. I had some y's but lost a lot of the little tree bits in the hail storm. They are not as lusty as my other Brugs, I think they are missing cooler temps or something. The Axelrose ones are very very slow but I thibk I see some pattern on the leaves of one ...just waiting to see what happens. They may set buds in the next month ...I hope so. HOPE seems to be the only one that is a happy camper. Time will tell.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 6, 2012
1:24 AM

Post #9071528

I remember the pic, Jean...Hope is very beautiful, so you need something similar in pink...then you will have 2 beauties...let's keep our fingers crossed for a pink sibling for Hope.
The storm has just past over us, very violent for about 15 mins.
I am not going out to look, I will wait until morning..
About an hour ago I was checking my pods and one was missing...the GHA x Angioletto had ripened and fallen off...it looks like an avocado...even inside...lots of nice big seeds...so they have had a wash and a nip of bleach...sorry the pics are blurry...
Angioletto is the same cross as FFA...Ludger's Windsong x New Orleans Lady
If anyone would like some, Dmail please.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
1:34 AM

Post #9071531

Cestrum, i have just looked at Dr Seuss X. and it has a 1cm root on it hahah that's really funny since the last lot nothing eventuated from it. and less then 2 week the this set root bugger me.
i will be crossing your Seuss to my seuss and see if we can get some of those tendrils to really relax and point to the ground while still having the typical Dr Seuss bloom
Thanks you
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
3:40 AM

Post #9071551

i just remembered
If you guys are finding that the Bubble Pak post pak is $1 each or so there is a little larger 1 for 86c at office works that will save you some money when posting seed out.
I had just sent out 10 envelopes over seas so it cost me $10 just for the Envelopes and the the posting charges with 10 from OFFICE works http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Office-Supplies/Mail-Supplies/Mail-Bags/Bubble-Lined-Mailing-Bags/COBMPS1

i hope that this will hell every one it has me saving of 14c per item

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9072239

Calling Allan :-)

Your Fernando is in the BGI gallery ...I am looking for the Hybridizer name if you have it.
Congratulations on your lovely Fernando, you can add pictures of Fernando into the Gallery now as he flowers Allan and everyone.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 6, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9072272

Good news about Dr Seuss X, Shaun. I'm guessing it was from a trunk cutting? As you know, I just reuse old envelopes :-) Although that would not be a good idea when posting overseas; I think new envelopes would be necessary to meet quarantine requirements. Here's a file photo of Dr S X. It never has many blooms, alas, although a sunnier position helps.
The flesh does look like that of an avocado, doesn't it Dianne. I've often says it looks almost edible! (*Almost* being the key word as it is of course toxic.) When I leave my pods on the branch until they are completely withered, there is none of that avocado-like flesh left. I guess the seedpods have consumed all the nutrients.
Pretty, pink and perfumed scented--is there no end to the loveliness of that little pink aurea? A little treasure!

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 8:13 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 6, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9072284

Chrissy, sad to say that none of the seedling pieces you sent back ever did anything. They all just rotted away within a week.
I guess they didnt want to leave you.

My other Bergfeuer x aurea is out the front and had no mite problem even though its neighbors did.

My AxelRose cross has Y'd , but no buds as yet. Of course its darned high to see the top .

I went out early today to see what damage the wind had done. Thankfully all the buds are hanging on.
Than goodness for the partial protection of the shed .

PP has not opened any further as yet. Lazy B***/
OE was getting most of the wind as she is very tall. Buds hung on well though.
Gen x Roth still has 3 buds too.

Strange, but BB shed over a dozen buds before the wind even arrived. It hasnt been too hot and I see nothing else to cause it. Not only little new buds but larger ones too.
Still plenty there but just odd to drop them like that.
OE shed a couple too.

Going back to the differences in the aureas...
Lucas, there is another flower out on your aurea here. It is still in pale mode but you can see the slightly longer tendrils on this one.
I noticed to that the stamens are separated as is GHA , but the stigma is slightly longer and reaches below the stamens where GHA has his hidden and one has to remove the stamens to get at it.
You can see the color difference in the pic. I put GHA flower next to aurea Lucas.
Mostly GHA opens this orange and just gets a bit darker. In winter he is paler.
aurea Lucas opens pale and darkens slowly .
Still waiting for aurea Shaun to flower so I can compare all three .
Looking at the pics of Golenes Kornett, I think aurea Lucas may be closer to it because of the slightly longer stigma and tendrils.
GHA does have the longer tendrils at times.

pic 1.. aurea Lucas
pic 2 ...inside aurea Lucas..
pic 3... GHA top...aurea Lucas bottom

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 6, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9072291

Seachanger wrote:
Angioletto is the same cross as FFA...Ludger's Windsong x New Orleans Lady
If anyone would like some, Dmail please.

Ah, but I only do swaps now. So if I were to take,say, 2 seeds of your cross, then you would have to take 2 seeds of one of mine.
And you don't want any more seeds, not even, say, 2 LOL

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9072340

I am thinking that some brugs do not like going from one climate to another. This is why I decided to root them up if they are going to a climate with a big difference. I think the time of year and vigor in the plant all comes into play.

Shaun how did you go with your cuttings from me ? I see BB is blooming already, how did the others go ?

Here is this morning as the sun was coming up ... pics of BF and AG, then Calamine and last a seedling.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9072355

Poison is starting up again (love it now) 1
Seedling Iochroma starting up. 2
cestrum one of your Apricots (sorry I don't know which one :( some of the writing is washed away in all the rain) 3
same seedling in pic 4 (flash bleached out the colour)
Maya blooming ...it will turn watercolour orange over a couple of days. Jean you got this one going didn't you say ?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9072372

And of course the wonderful Fernando !
♪♫•*¨*•.♥.•*¨*•♫♪

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

April 6, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9072375

Chrissy... The hybridizer of Fernando is Paul Hicks in the USA. Fernando does not have a strong perfume. At my last flush on my bush (which is still quite small), there was a definite subtle perfume at night. Wish I had your skill at describing the different perfumes. Perhaps the parents of Fernando, Pink Perfektion and Adeline may not have strong perfume? I am endeavouring to cross Fernando with your FFA in the hope of producing seedlings with a stonger perfume than Fernando.
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9072389

I once said that for me to love a plant that does not have perfume, it had better be a star and have a gotcha wow factor,
Fernando fits that description ! it is a big flusher, the devine blooms last well, good vigor in better conditions (my conditions have badly sucked for the last two years!).
It's a real beauty Allan, yes a perfume added would be the cherry on top, I love it .
Fernando rocks !♪♫•*¨*•.♥.•*¨*•♫♪ :-)

edited to say thanks for the info :) I will submit it :)

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 10:32 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 6, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9072421

Yes, Chrissy. Maya is looking good . She seems to like being here.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 6, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9072426

Chrissy, that would be Big Floppy Apricot (Joli x Angels Flight), almost certainly #1. (All have the same shape, colour and scent, but #1 has the biggest bloom of the seedlings from this cross.) I did send you an unrooted cutting of your own cross OA x BB but that cross looks much more like its mother (i.e. Old Apricot) and a sharp eye like yours would easily be able to spot that. So it's got to be BFA.

PS I don't know much about iochromas, but is that orangey colour common?

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 10:02 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9072472

Very similar cestrum but look at the exposed neck OA does not have an exposed neck ...this is a versicolor type exposed neck :)
OA has versicolor in it but it's neck is mostly covered about 3/4's of the way around. Thanks for the ID. :)

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 6, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9072499

Sharp eyes :-)
Would that be an Iochroma coccineum? Found this superb photo, although I imagine there are many different cultivars of the species:
http://www.floralook.com/en/no_cache/home/photo/iochroma-coccineum/?search_on=1
(The price is for the image, not the plant!)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9072547

This Iochroma is a seed grown one ...not sure if they self or not so I can't say really, I sure hope to get those huge clutches of blooms on mine one day :)

I forgot our little friend we have very warm wind out there and some of the kids are drooping in the heat ...our little rochkirch look alike is standing up to the heat quite well, just a tiny droop at the top of the bloom.when you enlarge the first two pics, that is about the right size of it in real life, a pixie ! in the 3rd shot you see the protruding style, I put the thingy under it so you could see it. Hoping one of those pixie donors may have done it's job on her.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 6, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9072552

Here is a second-generation Golden Butter seedpod. It'll be a single for sure, but what colour, shape and size I wonder ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 6, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9072657

Well, what a disaster...that wind came back later on in the evening and wrecked everything that was tall...
Funnily enough, though...PPfasc is the most vulnerable of all, but it held on to everything, buds, leaves and those all important "might be fertile" ovaries...there are 3 there, just can't see the 3rd in the pic.

But the Angel's Flight x Charleston flowers were stripped..so I still don't know how good it is, but it smells wonderful...
Fernando now has no flowers at all, yesterday his corolla teeth had come down and it wouldn't have been long,before I would see him at last...next season now.
Your's look lovely Chrissy...

The white Versi x had all the bottoms ripped off...and FFA, Chrissy, best that you don't look at pic 2,...one flower left to open...I could have cried.
Zabaglione's flowers all ruined...sounds bad doesn't it...GHA and Ivoire took a pounding but they reflower so quickly, that it doesn't affect me too much...I just think "bugger"

PP must have been shaken so badly that a lot of it's big pods were on the other side of the path...I wouldn't like to get conked by one of those.

But...an LBG x Bergfeuer, that was just showing a bit of colour in the morning, survived the storm and look at it now...
The sun was shining this morning, so I had to blink because all of the garden was bathed in a pink light.
What a pleasant surprise...my first pink.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 2:39 PM

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 4:45 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9072662

Oh Congratulations on your first double pink Dianne it's a really special occasion isn't it.
It looks a beauty too ! did you say fragrance ! any description ? is the bloom petite or large ?

Yes FFA always gets blown badly in the hot wind, usually his head is too high.

Now I have lost count, let me see how many double pinks do we have now ? 6/7 ????
Loving that !
Can you reach her ? to pollinate ? in the next flush ...next two years will see our Australian made doubles.
WOW !!!!! thrilled for you and us :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9072665

I forgot to say they will love that over at BGI ...! they are following it as a Parent *LBG* if I remember ...
edited to say my hubby walked in for coffee before I got to say, so sorry you had your plants trashed, it feels awful and so disheartening. Brugs are pretty tough though so take heart.
Start thinking of a pretty working name.
Yes I found it ...
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/21113-langenbusher-gartens-as-a-parent-or-donor/

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 3:36 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 6, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9072696

Dianne, have you been in my garden ?
I love your new flower , heres why...
OE last season .
twins ???? different parents but so alike. ...lol
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 6, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9072700

Thanks, Chrissy...as soon as I saw it I thought how like Jean's Opale Etoile it was...
It's about 8½ ins corolla tooth tip to corolla tooth tip...the perfume last night was very strong...a honey sherbert is a fair description...I will sniff again tonight.
It is only a small plant, about 5 ft.
I hope the pink goes all the way up the corolla and evens out..It would be nice if the skirt dropped as well...
I know it's very early but it named itself...Autumn Sunrise...
I remember that forum, I posted that I had the LBG x Berfeurer and it was a seedling at that time.
thanks for the reminder.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 4:50 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 6, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9072703

We crossed, Jean...it was a nice surprise, because I like your OP, very much...

The named pinks that we have,
Twilight Time
Opale Etoile
Fernando
I can't think of cestrum's pinks' names..
What have I forgotten?

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 6, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9072707

Your first double pink, Dianne: how lovely! Better recharge the camera batteries and start snapping away to catch it in all its moods :-) Plus constant trips outside at night and early morning to keep sniffing at it :-)
And a name already! Mine My doubles are all unnamed ... I'll wait until they turn 21 and name themselves LOL

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 3:57 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 6, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9072712

Lovely name , Dianne. I would have to take a ldder down to sniff OE . Shes too high . I will try when she opens .
Lots of curly tendrils peeping from the end of the Gen x Roth.
PP is a lazy thing. Just casually yawning and stretching.
I suppose he'll get out of bed sometime over the long weekend.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9072713

Pink Knight :)

I have to name mine or confusion reigns in my head, I have enough nanna moments as it is.
I confess some are yet nameless this time, but I must get to it !
So lovely to watch the parade ... I get so excited my brain switches to channel 8 ! as specially when food and coffee is forgotten in the Brug adventures.

May I ask that if possible for future new babies, if you can ,take a side shot and a face shot ...it helps with the genes tracking.

Congratulations everyone !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9072714

Same here Jean I have to stand on tip toe with arm held as high as possible for some shots. Not sure about Alley trees any more, I like close and personal. :-)

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
11:16 PM

Post #9072717

Autumn Sunrise
Twilight Time
Opale Etoile
Fernando
Pink Knight
_________ ?
_________ ?

Here they are :)
What do we call yours cestrum ?
What happens when the same crosses pop up in the other gardens ?
What would you like us call yours ...just want to slot an ID in if possible that gives them a definite future reference.numbers , letters whatever you prefer.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 6, 2012
11:30 PM

Post #9072723

Mine are all known by their cross names. I guess you can add 'Cestrum's' in front of them if other people have seedlings from the same cross. Unless you intend to register them, naming them can increase the confusion!
Peanut x Ruffles and Flourishes
Phanomenal x Superspot x 2
Salmon Perfektion x Dorthea
Huh--is it possible that I have the most local double pinks so far? That'll change very soon as all those long-awaited seedlings start to flower ...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 6, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9072727

Quickly, before I have to go: naming = registration. Because if you name your brug and don't register it, what happens to that name? What's to stop someone else registering their brug under that name? And is it fair to "lock up" a name if you won't register the brug you've given that name?

Then there's the tendency to rush to registration, so you might end up with brugs that perhaps aren't really worthy of being registered as I'm pretty sure has happened in the early years of brug rego in the US ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
11:49 PM

Post #9072728

Ok cestrum then the cross ok :-) until you decide otherwise :)

Autumn Sunrise
Twilight Time
Opale Etoile
Fernando
Pink Knight
Peanut x Ruffles and Flourishes - cestrum
Phanomenal x Superspot x 2 -cestrum
Salmon Perfektion x Dorthea -cestrum

Yes you have three ! well done ! so is this ok for you ?

Well mine is named and not registered ...
It is called Known. So long as you are first with that name on a lovely Brug and give permission for it to be shared/released then, no one can use that name for their Brug in an official capacity, that is how I understand it. You can do that through BGI .
Known is good enough for me. :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
11:51 PM

Post #9072729

You don't lock up a name if we are just using it between us.
Don't submit it to BGI unless it's a good Brug .

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 6, 2012
11:52 PM

Post #9072730

cestrum, I don't think that the name is locked until it's registered...our "known" names can be taken by anyone I would imagine...Doesn't really count for much, I think that it's really just for the benefit of growers who find it easier to visualize a flower if it has a name.
So if we want to talk about your SP x D and we put cestrum in front of the number that you give it, it will be easier to remember what it looks like I hope...lol
Yes, you are the champion pink grower...

Chrissy, I had forgotten Pink Knight, how is it going?
Going by what Chrissy said I may be wrong about the "lock"...though I think that it would only apply to BGI...I can't see iBrugs taking notice.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 5:57 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2012
11:59 PM

Post #9072731

That is Alistair's baby so I guess it is ok ...looks pretty good to me.
Once you submit it as a cultivar with a proper name I believe it belongs to you as a recognized Brug ...look at Glass House Angel.
People have it and know it. Providing it has bloomed true in another place/garden/or your own place and witnessed from your cutting.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 7, 2012
12:09 AM

Post #9072733

A brug can be called, and often is, anything by anyone, but in terms of Registration you could not register a name that has already been published and known by that name first.
That is why I put mine in when asked.
I don't intend to have all my names officially known, just the ones I think are worthy and the name means a lot to me.
As to the others, I treat them like a nick name just because it is much easier for me to remember. If they become special then I will research the names and choose one not already taken.
Edited to say submitting it to, and accepted by the Herald (BGI) is having your Plant Officially Known.
Here is the Herald form link. I have TT and FFA known by the Herald ...they performed for a few seasons before I thought them ready to Officially naming them. I have many others that are still under watch ie HOPE ...(who I had to chop up and root)she wasn't a big plant, and I could not afford to let those cuttings go out and die because of the awful weather this past few months.
Here is the link.
http://www.brugmansia.us/cultivars/submitname.html?do=add&category=

chrissy

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 6:28 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 7, 2012
12:23 AM

Post #9072734

Yes , GHA has certainly performed exactly as he should over many years for me and then for all those who have him now.
Couldnt ask for a more perfect trialling

No known parents but probably from an original aurea many years back.
It is entered in BGI gallery with name.
I would like to know that he is recognised as an individual aurea.

I am like Chrissy and Dianne. I like to give plants names so I know which I am talking about.
When one says a name, it calls up an image.
For me a number does not.
Numbers are great if you have lots of seedlings unflowered but once they have flowered and you decide you like a particular one , then a name makes a lot of difference, whether registered or not.

I am still watching that lazy PP.
Tendrils poking from cestrums Big Floppy too.
Have to laugh as the bud is as long as the small cutting its on.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 7, 2012
2:04 AM

Post #9072742

I was in the garden, taking pics of the new one and looking at PPfasc, when I noticed that I couldn't see #3, the fused ovary one...the wind last night must have damaged it, though it hadn't fallen off until sometime after lunch..
Darn it...that ovary was getting bigger every day...I am almost certain that the #1 twins are expecting, still not sure on the #2 twins...anyway so many leaves getting ripped off last night made it easier to search for #3...

While I was looking, look what I found, this is on the growth that started from the top of the fasciation, I used the same pic from this morning, now that I now they are there, they are easy to spot...
The little one is so petite and even the one next to it is far smaller than a normal
PP...I measured them and the little one is only 4ins + a little for the corolla teeth...It is so cute...
The next one is 7ins still 2 ins shorter than the average PP flower.

I had to put an anklet stocking on the tiny one in case a snail ran away with it during the night.
I just want to see it flower...here we go again...
Don't forget that the white arrows were to locate the PPfasc ovaries..

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 8:08 PM

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9072754

Hi guys have only just got on to dave's had problems all day thinking no one had posted
1stly, Chrissy all of the cuttings that you sent have been doing well 'Maya' is about 2 foot tall and looking great, Butterbomb as you can see i have had bloom already, Zabaglione & Musketeer are both showing signs of bud mmmmmmmm looks like it could happen this season,
Vers & Pink panther are doiing well but no signs of bud,

2: about naming plants if you get the plant out to many people or in a plant catalogue, Ebay, or the like with that name then that name becomes a valid name but not a regestered name which is what we all want with our babie.

3: Im with cestrum i have only ever named 1 cross i have created back in 1998 and it is called 'DRC' but i have no history on it it is a NOID, i have older crosses that should be flowering soon or in the spring fro the first time which is a Tantra X.aurea(form) there are 5 of them which i wanna see bloom,

Jean, that is a beautiful bloom ? Autumn Sunrise very good name hope it improves more with age.

Cestrum yes it was the main Trunk that has taken root great guess, My Dr Seuss is in full bud loosing a few on the way but in the next few days i will have a pic that will be STUNNING of him
Gabi65
Newcastle(NSW)
Australia
(Zone 10a)

April 7, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9072894

You guys have me fascinated. I love the Brugs for the gorgeous flowers. I like to paint flowers and I have quite a collection of photos from the 'net. I would like one of these Belles for my garden. I am trying to find what the perfume is like and it seems they are all different. A lot of Roses are different in their perfumes but they still smell rosy.
Complete ignoramus here - what is the FFFcross you are all talking about, seems as though it has a lovely colour and perfume!
That Fernando is something else!
I see from your conversations that the perfume is lovely at nightfall or dusk, can you compare it to Stephanotis or Jasmine or Freesias or Honeysuckle, just to name a few of my favourites?

Appreciate any help you can throw my way, (would any of you like your "babies" painted?) thanks,
Gabi,
Here is a Bluebell Creeper/Morning Glory - flower that I 'painted' with Coloured pencils recently. Sorry the first one is the photo I used as the model for the second

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 7:03 AM

Thumbnail by Gabi65

Gabi65
Newcastle(NSW)
Australia
(Zone 10a)

April 7, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9072907

This is the 'painting'! You can't add another photo once you've posted a comment? I really only want some advice for buying a really perfumed white bloom if you are able to advise me.
Thanks,
Gabi

Thumbnail by Gabi65

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 7, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9073066

Hi Gabi...one of the best perfumed and prettiest white is the double white that you can purchase from any Bunnings store.
The perfume is not like anything else really, I have the flowers that you mentioned and it's as strong as the Stephanotis, as sweet as the Honeysuckle and has the subtle difference that distinguishes a Freesia.
From cultivar to cultivar, there can be a lot of difference.
FFA is a beautiful yellow, that hasn't been released to the public...if you go back on the thread you will see several pics of it.
Fernando is occasionally on eBay.
Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 7, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9073307

Calling Allan ...here it is
http://www.brugmansia.us/cultivars/cultivardatabase.html/_/cultivarnames/fernando-r1534

Congratulations !
Must go but will be back after lunch ...

Happy Easter everyone ...don't eat too much chockie ok ...well maybe just for one day (wish I liked it)

☮ˆ◡ˆ ღ ☼ ☮ˆ◡ˆ ღ ☼ ♥ ♥ ♥

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 7, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9073351

Hello Gabi. I warn you , dont buy a brugmansia or you will end up with the terrible disease we have all caught. "brugmansiatitis".

You will get an urge to want more , more ,more...

pic 1...Heres PP this morning.
Lazy thing finally decided to get out of bed. Still wearing his white pyjamas. I suppose we may see him in pink later.

pic 2 ...Gen x Roth, slowly waking up too.

pic 3... OE also getting out of bed

pic 4...Last pic is aurea Lucas . lovely flowers & buds for a small fellow.
The long bud on the left is from a GHA cutting next to him.

Big Floppy is also opening and lots of flowers on BB.

I will be running in & out all day watching them all.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

April 7, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9073367

Chrissy... Thank you for submitting the information and lovely photos of Fernando into the BGI 'known' cultivar list! I presume that this is not an official registration but stops anyone else using the name Fernando?
Allan
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9073400

Good Morning Guys, Gabi, the painting is very cute it would be nice to see some of out Babies painted and see how they come throw the process, you were asking about what FFF i think you ment FFA= Fire Fighter Angel which is one of Chrissy's babies from OS

here are a few pic's from this morning of my plants coming throw

1, 2: Tantra
3, 4 : Apricot (1023) = Old Apricot ,,, i am crossing this one with only candida 'peach' to validate one or the other
5: Munchausen in bud and should show up to my party any time now

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9073414

1 & 2: Ecuador Pink
3 , 4 &5: Dr seuss

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9073428

1: sanguinea 'Midas'
2: aurea (Barkley St)
3: 'Aztec Gold'
4: candida 'Peach' = 'Old Apricot' this is the plant which im using as my Type plant fro OA so the pollen from this goes on all other "" apricots/ peaches/ salmons & ???"" which i assume i have about 8-9 of them slowly getting them maeked of & if they cross with this 1 i will probably still CULL them i dont need 10 plants looing IDEntical

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

April 7, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9073474

Ah, familiar aurea there Jean, very interesting you say it is actually different to GHA...

Quite nice Midas Shaun, i see it get the deformed flowers where they struggle to get out of the calyx, could perhaps be something to do with virus infection (don't worry about it) some of my sangs do but a few better ones don't appear to...

Yeah, you probably don't need 9 plants which are all OA... lol

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

April 7, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9073477

Jean, sorry if I missed it but is there any subtle difference in the scent of my aurea vs. GHA?
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9073496

Lucas im working on crossing all of the aurea's that i have here
im not sure what else there is around (Diggers & Yamina) so i cant test them in the currant crossing cycle
if there are any other aurea's out there that are of interest i would be interested in obtaing them also can you help???

a am appreciating the aurea's so much more now i will also put in the mix BB

Aurea's i have
(Barkley St)
(Hull Rd)
(Colchester Rd)
(form)
GHA
Yellow/Orange -[Lucas]
(Melbot)

Edit:: the sanguinea do have trouble coming out the calyx but that's because it's the start of the flush but also could be a virus not sure

This message was edited Apr 8, 2012 12:02 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 7, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9073566

Shaun, I see empty calyx on Midas, have you crossed it with something?

Waiting on OE, PP and most definitely Gen x Roth...hurry up...

The bicarb is still working for me in combating the snails and slugs...3 months and not a snail...but we are under attack from the air...Cabbage moth caterpillars...a brug fanciers life is not an easy one...lol

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 8, 2012
1:21 AM

Post #9073714

Go Jean Go ...can't wait to see your new babies !!!!

Allan Fernando is a Known Cultivar now because it is. :-) by the way I could smell the perfume today, a soft gentle scent, but yes it was there. The colour is a vibrant lolly Pink with that warm Raspberry rinse, looks beautiful ! we have a big storm coming tonight I hope we don't have too much damage.

Those Apricots there are are not showing the exposed neck Shaun.

Gabi you are a talented artist ... we would love sketches or paintings of the Angel's Trumpets. We will sort something out.

cestrum the Big Floppy is definitely showing pink staining in the tendril edges ...hmmm.

All pics of Fernando ...colour is much richer than the camera shows, I have been in there tearing some up for pollen, so there are some torn trumpets (I hate doing that but ! ...)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 8, 2012
1:28 AM

Post #9073715

Quick look around this morning ... BB. TT with Iochroma, Heart of Gold, Axelrose, Dwarf pink and Green and another of cestrum's Apricots, colour was much deeper tonight but I did not have the camera.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 8, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9073716

Finally almost finishing now but over the 2nd floor balcony looking into the jungle area, the last of Elfin Pink.
If you look carefully you can see the top of the clothes line under the crop of blooms.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9073721

[quote="chrissy100"]
Those Apricots there are are not showing the exposed neck Shaun.

???? chrissy what do you mean by that?? to have an exposed neck is to say that it is old Apricot and if the neck is not then it's a dud??????

Dianne, The empty calyx is not it had flowers in them that is why they look so crammed and in a day or so the flower will be exposed
I have crossed it with Arborea that Jean sent to me a few months back just waiting to get those babe blooms hardening.

Chrissy My cousin Brad Muller is also interested in Brug and you sent him a pic with the BGI website address , he went out the other day and bought a sanguinea/flava from a nursery that was getting ride of many old plants it had a seed pod on it also im sure we will see him in the BGI soon

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 8, 2012
2:20 AM

Post #9073723

Good one Shaun, something special might come of a Midas x Arborea cross...
Your poor cousin, I can see him with all those spare Aureas and OAs...lol
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
2:27 AM

Post #9073725

WayneCarter wrote:
Here is an aurea unknown cv. At one time it was mistaken for 'Goldenes Kornett'.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7011876

This is my aurea (form)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 8, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #9073742

here pic 1 OA has hidden neck. Pic 2 P V has exposed neck. pic 3 OA with hidden neck.pic 4 .P V with exposed neck.
The seed pod on the P V has long thin seed pods, O A has fat long seed pods. Look carefully at the necks. :)
Edited to say PV is the Peach versicolor.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2012 9:28 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 8, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9074363

Wonderful pics and news from everyone. Lots of reading to catch up with!
A few pics follow from here...
1. Sea Nymph
2. Tintarella
3. Old Apricot x Butter Bomb seedling
4. As above with noid pod
5. noid pod on Twilight Time

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 8, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9074413

I know that Tintarella is Glasshouse Angel x Butterbomb, but who are Sea Nymph's parents, Wayne? Your OA X BB looks just like mine, no surprises there, the only surprise would be if one of the seedlings wasn't apricot! It's the 2nd-gen crosses that will be interesting I think ...

Wayne, my Old Apricot was labelled a versicolor (peach or apricot, I can't remember now)--I think they were just about all were mislabelled as versicolors.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 8, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9074447

I'm still waiting for my lazy brugs to get out of bed.
PP has opened but is still pale. Just the tiniest tinge of pink coming.
He's in the shade of the cypress so thats maybe holding him back a bit.

OE has burst her calyx all the way up. Naughty girl, been eating too many Easter eggs,

Gen x Roth is slowly showing her curls .
Nice fat buds , but I think maybe singles by the feel.

I have a small bud also on another seedling...Super Pink x Apricot Queen.

pic 1... PP
pic 2...OE
pic 3...Gen x Roth
pic 4 ...SP x AQ

Lucas, I will be able to get a better smell of your aurea when the flower on the other cutting opens and I can lift the pot up.
The one open now is right next to GHA so a bit hard to tell the difference.

Wayne, I love the look of Tintarella. An offspring of my golden boy GHA. so very pretty.

Jean.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 8, 2012

Post #9074499

Thanks Jean. Yes, a little cutie. Very fragrent - honey and almonds. How amazing the variation in size and shape Brugmansia blooms display! From squat little fellows like 'Tintarella', to long, elegant blooms (400mm) on the 'Musketeer' x 'Fernando' seedling.

Cestrum, the OA seedlings are very interesting to watch. I will try a few seeds from that noid seed pod on the plant photographed. In this garden, it is anyone's guess where the pollen came from! :)

'Sea Nymph' is one of Alistair's early doubles. A cutie, I grow it in a pot. Maybe check the BGI cvs index. I am not sure of her parentage.

Here is 'Coral Reef'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 8, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9074507

That was my question too, cestrum...I found out that it was Alistair's but not the parentage...
While I was on that thread, Alistair mentioned that he had hundreds of Clementine's seedlings back in 2009...I don't think that I will bother trying to cross her for a while ...lol...maybe if something special in orange colours turns up.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 8, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9074542

Seachanger wrote:That was my question too, cestrum...I found out that it was Alistair's but not the parentage...
While I was on that thread, Alistair mentioned that he had hundreds of Clementine's seedlings back in 2009...I don't think that I will bother trying to cross her for a while ...lol...maybe if something special in orange colours turns up.

Alistair said the same about Old Apricot i.e. that it didn't produce anything worthwhile, meaning all apricot seedlings in the case of OA. But I do think it's worth persevering as while the 1st-gen seedlings mightn't look interesting, it's the later crosses that might yield something new. Plus, how good would it be to have our own locally *bred* double apricot. Of course, at this stage, a locally *grown* double apricot would be pretty special too :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 8, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9074561

The pod on your seedling plant is a versicolor pod ...if that is any help Wayne,
how wonderful is it to be able to walk around on a brisk Autumn morning and choose which pollen to use on what trumpet.
Talk about spoilt for choice !

I wonder if Old Apricot is a wild one, Alistair said every single bloom from it is an apricot colour (what is wrong with Apricot by the way ? ...aren't we choosy now LOL ) .You have to wonder about those strong genes, maybe use them to create double Apricots. Use it to inject Apricot colour into the lovely whites for example. I think that is how Monika started.
My first coloured Brug was that Old Apricot and it was stunning, I thought it one of the most exotic things I had ever seen in full flush. It still is.
Whatever you do keep the basic ones we started with, some of the very first Brugs they started with in the OS gardens have all but gone. These are basic building blocks, you need them for injecting strength into the more delicate Hybrids to come.

Oh Wayne Coral Reef is beautiful.
I love LP no 9 too ! it is an orange mango colour right now,
we had a big storm last night so the wind messed up a lot of my perfect Brugs, I tore quite a few up this morning as well.Lots of pollen.(I will spare everyone pictures today and just look at yours :).

Jean sing to your Blooms ...that might work ! *push -push -* :-)

As cestrum says I think there was some sort of mix up with the Apricot seeds right back in the beginning when people did not know the difference between the Apricots. Look at the necks and the seed pods, the picture in Waynes post (long thin pod) is a Versicolor shape.

I think it probably be getting close to the end of the flushes with the cool mornings getting a bit too cold here.
If the Sun stays maybe not, get dusting while you still can. Good luck everyone ...go for it !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 8, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9074564

Snap cestrum ...we are thinking the same way :-)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9074601

all those blooms are Stunning Wayne, Sea Nymph is a real cuttie but i must say that Tintarella is looking great also.

about color injection i have read Monika's thread a number of times and chrissy your right she starts of with double white and injects color with versicolor , her favourite pollen is versicolor also to intensify the color of the plant see is creating

i have almost stoped pollinating this season as i will have so many post next season i could be out of room (Like not) unless i germinate all pods and not just 10 ssed from each pods as i do at present.

Lucas, the sanguinea (Wide Mouth) seed you sent me germinated and it looks like 1 could be a potential variegate but it dose only have 2 babie leaves so fingers crossed to see what may come of it in the next few months...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 9, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9074958

Brrrr it 's been a stunning day but brrrrr I feel cold now ...
Dropping to 8C tonight ...how are the temperatures at your place everyone ?

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 9, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #9074970

Who do you all think this is? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 9, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9074971

Chrissy it's been freezing all day,
I took these pics this morning, thinking that they would probably be the last for a while...
I think if I had to make a decision on which Brugmansias, to keep for whatever reason, it would be the Aureas and the singles...
They bounce back so quickly, no matter how bad the weather is...

The wind was so bad that I was prepared to cut the Angel's Flight x Charleston double white in half, which would have been a shame because there is a pod on it crossed with RFP...still rather than have it split, I would prefer a clean cut...
Luckily Autumn Sunrise, just bobbed around in the hail and wind...it's only small so it's protected...

The last FFA was lovely this morning but it's gone now. so I will look forward to next Spring...there was about a dozen blooms on it..
Topsy is fine, so are the remaining white Versi x flowers...I would like to keep the white Versi, the flowers are lovely, as large as Topsy but
hanging on that long calyx...
Tantra is ok too.

Jean, I have my fingers crossed for you...this bitterly cold day won't encourage those lazybones of yours to get up...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 9, 2012
2:43 AM

Post #9074976

I know it's not Ecuador Pink,...so is it that one that you found last year? colour is great...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 9, 2012
3:00 AM

Post #9074982

Hi Dianne, The first pic is after it had been out a day and the second pic is after 5 days. Adele Essex. It's a beauty isn't it? Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 9, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9074987

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9059997&extraimg=0
Mine have never been that dark, Colleen...it looks beautiful...just imagine when the pale ones are there too.
The link is to my Adιle Essex post, have a look at the difference.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 9, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9074990

Dianne it is in complete shade under RFP, maybe a little first of morning sun, so it hasn't faded at all and has lasted very well. I have another AE in late morning early afternoon sun but it has no buds as yet. Will be interesting to see whether the colours are the same. Colleen
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9075011

been Bitterly cold here in Croydon also today need winter woollies to stay warm, i went up in to the Dandenongs today looking for some AT didn't find any but did find Iochroma grandiflora which looked big healthy so i go a cutting

Dianne those pic's look really goof especially taken today in the crap weather
Colleen AE looks quite lovely also

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 9, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9075022

Time for the extra blanket and to take a cutting or two of favourite brugs just in case of a nasty Winter,
Dianne would you do us the honour of opening the next thread with* Autumn Sunrise* our latest double pink :-) beauty.

I see Alistair has a couple more lovelies ... (double pinks) on FB. Not sure if they are here or in his other home across the pond, beautiful of course.Coming from Monika.

Lovely pics and a great thread everyone.
Time for cocoa I think .

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 9, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9075967

A lovely surprise this morning.
After the wind yesterday, I thought I may lose the buds on OE and Gen x Roth. The poor things were swinging away like mad pendulums.
I just went out to check and found that OE has dropped her second skirt...naughty girl.
The buds are all still on both of the brugs.

I am very disappointed in PP . He lazed around in bed for so long , then gets out and collapses.
He never opened further than the pic I posted above and never colored up either. He is just hanging their like a dead fish.

I will keep him , but will cut him right back and see what happens next year.

pic 1...OE
pic 2...Gen x Roth

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 9, 2012

Post #9076030

Do you mean that Opale etoile is a tart?...lol
Can't wait to see the result, Jean.

Is it possible that your PP has something wrong with it Jean, how long have you had it now?

We have moved over to this address.http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1251515/

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 9, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9076073

Sorry to hear PP didn't perform for you Jean, she is usually such a show off, talk about a tart mmmm, she covers herself in proof of casual flirtations. I predict a flood of PP kids all over Australia :-) not really a bad thing I guess, but we need to get in there while the bloom is still virginal *blush *
Good luck with your two little pendants, it's blowing icy cold wind here, I think we are saying goodnight to most of our blooms now.
I popped in to fix the sign post here we go ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1251515/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America