Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
voyagergreg
Lakeside Marblehead, OH

April 3, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9068666

I love green beans & never grew them,what is the best variety to grow??
Thanks in advance!
lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9068715

I think most bush green beans are relatively early varieties. I like blue lake 274 and contender. I planted twelve rows in my side garden about ten yards long on March 30. I have been to Cleveland, Ohio during the summer and it gets hot so I feel safe in saying that you will be successful with these two varieties if you give them plenty of sun. You may even benefit from not having the sufficating heat/humidity that we have in the south. However, on the safe side, you may also want to check the local seed stores because they will know exactly what everyone in your area grows.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9069137

Everyone has a favorite so you may be a little more confused after everone chimes in. Personally, I haven't had any that I would say was a "bad" green bean.
I agree that the blue lakes are always pretty reliable.
My personal favorite is Kentucky Wonders pole bean which I grow up a fence. The flavor is great as a green bean and if you leave the beans on the vine to dry, you'll get a soup bean that can't be beat.
Just read the label on any bean packet (especially to determine if its a bush or pole bean) to get the specifics of that variety.
Another option is to request a catalog from Johnny's Select Seeds or The Vermont Bean Companys websites. They both do a good job at describing the different varieties that they offer.
Bottom line is that I think you will be happy with any bush bean you can buy locally. (I grabbed a "no name" bean from the local hardware store to fill a hole in the garden last year and they were the best)
One last thing, don't be afraid to add the wax variety (yellow bean), our kids love thier milder flavor.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 6:37 AM

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 6:40 AM

Thumbnail by yardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

voyagergreg
Lakeside Marblehead, OH

April 4, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9069191

@ Issfishunter I will definitely try the blue lake 247..I'm not a big fan of can vegetables (except green beans) & I remb. the can saying saying blue lake..For some reason or another frozen green beans are my least favorite, except in soup..

@ yardener: I'm also gonna try your Kentucky wonders or some sort of pole beans, tho I need to get something for them to cliimb to as don't have a fence, any suggestions? I'm hoping rabbits will not be a issue when the beans are growing esp. the bush beans??

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9069594

voyagergreg - rabbits will eat your beans. Try putting up poultry netting around your beds, bury it a little so the rabbits don't burrow underneath. Lowe's sells some that is 24" high by 50ft long which will work.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92283-16418-832283_0__?productId=3160867&Ntt=poultry netting&pl=1¤tURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=poultry+netting&facetInfo=

Pole beans grow 6ft or more, so you'll need tall supports. I like trellis netting hung on 8ft posts. I buy the netting from Amazon.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9069606

Rabbits can be nasty on young bean seedlings but once they're about 6 inches tall I seldom have a trouble. This is one of the few times my desperation will allow me to use chemicals. I dust the seedlings with Seven and the rabbits stay away.
I have always grown my pole beans on a perminent structure but most people still like to use the teepee method.
You can search how to grow pole beans to find different methods of setting up the poles. The old timers I know go out in the woods and find broken limbs that are 6 to 8 feet long to make their bean teepees.
They will climb almost anything they can wrap themselves around. I've even seen some Amish hang twine from an overhead pole, like an old swingset, and the beans climbed the twine.

Thumbnail by yardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

voyagergreg
Lakeside Marblehead, OH

April 4, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9070034

Thank you Honeybee & yardener for all the advice...I bought my beans today :-)
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9078159

Currently i am growing Kentucky wonders down here and they are doing superb. good luck on your beans.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America