Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Germinating Chelone obliqua (Turtlehead)

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
microbiology1
Foxboro, MA

April 3, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9068716

Has anyone had success germinating Chelone/Turtlehead? I started it indoors 5 weeks ago. I did not pre-chill the seeds. I'm about to move the containers to the fridge for a few weeks but I've read conflicting reports that germination may take up to 3 months so I'm just curious if anyone's had any success?
trc65
Galesburg, IL

April 3, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9068998

Deno, reports that Chelone needs only light for germination at 70 degrees with no other treatments necessary. He reported only 50% germination after 8 weeks, so you may want to give them a little more time.

BTW, for those who don't know or are new to this forum, Deno was a chemistry Professor at Penn State who conducted germination experiments on hundreds if not thousands of different species and published a book with two different supplements on the results. Those books are no longer available but the USDA scanned these books and they are available in PDF format from one of their websites. Sorry, I no longer have the link, but if you search the forum, you should be able to find it.

Please Note: I have had different experiences than Deno reports for some species, so everyone's results will not necessarily be identical to what he found in carefully controlled laboratory experiments. However, it is a fantastic resource and is a great starting point if you are not sure about what conditions to use.
microbiology1
Foxboro, MA

April 18, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9087938

Thanks. I looked up the link for the Deno book. http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/dspace/bitstream/10113/41278/1/CAT10633450.pdf

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America