Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Mid-South Gardening: April Showers bring May flowers.......

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 254, Views: 1,534
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9069002

Well Showers I would like to have without the hail and high winds. Really nasty looking clouds today
Please feel free to discuss whatever and post pictures.
We are all ecstatic that Justin is our April baby and that Heather is doing better now. Prayers have been answered.

I forgot to say we were pelted with marble size hail for about 40 min this after noon. All my blooms are probably gone. Shame too since Easter for all the family is going to be here.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 12:01 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #9069020

Hate to hear you had hail!! It has finally started raining here. It was windy for a while but seems to just be a steady rain now. Hope that continues and we don't get anything else.

Worked on income taxes tonight. I'm just about finished but I just couldn't do it any longer!! Hate, hate taxes and all the paper work!!

Went by my garden this afternoon and the radish seeds I planted just a few days ago are already sprouting!!

I'm also so glad to hear all is well with Heather and Justin!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9069199

I pray that all are safe from the storms yesterday and last night!!!! It was horrible here during the night!!! We have over 1900 people in north Baton Rouge without electric this morning and serious street flooding. I made a corporate decision and Ashley isn't going to school today. Tomorrow is her last day anyway for Easter holiday.

Yes that is an answer to prayers!!! I talked to Sandra and she said she thought about me on the way to the hospital when Heather was having to have her emergency surgery. I'm sure the nightmare that we went through after Ashley was born must have flashed through her mind!!! I know it did mine when she was telling me about Heather!!! Thank God that all went well and both Heather and Justin are doing well!!!! Sandra also sounded exhausted!!! I hope this stress doesn't cause her to have a flare up!!! I hope all her time is spent spoiling baby Justin!!!

Good news my taxes are done and mailed yesterday!!! I'm broke but we made it!!!!

I also hauled my hibiscus out of the G/H hoping that they enjoy the rain but I haven't even looked out. They may be tossed here and there. I managed to get some Ironite on my azaleas and 25#'s of Osmocote on some of the other plants in anticipation of a little rain.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9069222

Cindy, thanks for starting the new thread! Couldn't think of a better reason to start one than a new life!! I hate your blooms got messed up by the hail.

Sandra, glad Heather and Justin are doing fine. Hope she has been able to enjoy him now. I'm sure she was groggy from the surgery but now she will be fine today and just get to spoil and cuddle him as much as she wants!

So sad for all the hail damaging everyone's blooms. We're supposed to get the bad weather tonight so mine will probably get it. We had a thunderstorm last night but nothing bad. At least we got some badly needed rain. Jeri, I am out of ironite and forgot to buy any last week at Lowe's! Thought I had some. I did put out some Epsom salts on a gardenia that is looking yellow but I think it needs some ironite. One of my clematis had 3 blooms 2 days ago and yesterday there were at least a dozen! Wow! I could fill my yard with trellises and clematis!

Our accountant has had our tax stuff for a couple of weeks so it should be any day now that we get the bad news. I don't even want to know...It seems like Uncle Sam gets more and more every year.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9069259

So glad to see update on Heather. Thanks!

Crissy, Jeff had a great time. I am certain that he would have rather been fishing or flying his airplane but he enjoys being the helper and carrier of things...and the complements that he gets for doing such. The girls did encourage him strongly to return inside and buy me one more plant. Which he did, and even found another one to get. It took him forever to return outside. I told the girls he was still inside flirting and would probably return with something free. Well, we he returned, he said, he did not get anything free but they kept trying to give him back a dollar...which would have made one of the plants cost 50 cents. He is such a charmer!!!

I have not planted one thing that we bought Saturday! I did take out all the EEs and as usual, I lost several! I have walked around to see what all I need to purchase at Rita's and I discovered that I lost at least 6 hostas! I am very disappointed but I will just have to buy more.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9069271

I agree Elaine but you also have to look at the fact that we earned some money to even owe taxes and I TG for that fact!!!

My holly trees are also turning yellow so I even hit them with the Ironite. I hope it helps!!!! I bought a hugh bucket of epsom salt at Sam's for $5.99. So far I've only used it to soothe those screaming muscles when I crawl to the jacuzzi. I guess I need to share with the plants!!! I bought it for that use anyway.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 4, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9069307

Was swamped yesterday and didn't have a chance to get on line. Sorry to hear that Heather had to go back into surgery, but thankful that she is ok now! And Jeri, you were the first person I thought of last night when I read Sandra's post on FB that they had to go back into surgery!! So scary!

What is ironite? Never heard of it... and what does epsom salt do to plants? I am like Jeri...I use it for sore muscles, but never heard of anyone putting it on plants! I have a couple of gardenias that are very yellow too but I didn't know what was wrong. Have a couple of others in a different place that are very lush and dark green.

I did manage to get some osmocote out on Sunday afternoon on part of my plants... guess it worked out good with the rain that we got Monday and yesterday. Just wish I had gotten it on everything.

What do ya'll use on your daffodils? I have been using the osmocote on them as well, but I wondered if I needed something different to make them bloom better ... looked at Lowes for some bulb food but didn't find anything...

The heavy winds and rain have knocked almost all the blooms off of everything. The clematis blooms are still hanging on but they look a little rough, my lady banks rose had been loaded but they are almost completely gone...azealeas too and i don't even have them in the ground yet!! Had three pallets of mulch delivered yesterday...have just a little work in front of me!

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9069342

Info on epsom salts

http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/garden/

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9069379

Genna the Ironite is to add nitrogen to the soil. That is what will green up the gardenias or any other evergreen that is yellowing right now. You think I would just regularly add it but I wait until the plant requests it by yellowing and I think by allowing them to stress a little I get more blooms. My grandmother use to add coffee grounds and achieved the same results but no coffee grounds from cokes. LOL!!! So I use Ironite.

I use blood meal on my bulbs and your plants will love the epsom salt for magnesium. My plumerias don't ilke the epsom salt but the burgs love it.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9069394

We got some very much needed rain last night but not the hail and other bad weather some of the other of you got. I was up late last night working on my income taxes! I didn't get totally finished but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I will feel like a big weight has been lifted off me when that is finished!!

My plants loved the rain! I could already see where some things have grown overnight! I love clematis and finally figured out that I actually have lots of things they can climb on. Now I keep finding them in places I had forgotten I had planted them!! Just found one this morning! I planted a climbing rose at one corner of my pergola and this morning I found where I had planted a clematis to climb with it!!

Can't wait to go down and see how my garden is doing after the rain! My radishes were popping through yesterday.

For those that haven't met Jeff, he is such a nice guy and so patient with all our craziness!! He was so cute with this little plant he found that he liked!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9069422

For bulbs, blood meal is good, and there is a fertilizer they sell especially for bulbs. I think it is called 'bulb booster' or something like that.

Yep, coffee grounds or banana peels are also good to put around the base of gardenias or azaleas. I do it all the time, just bury them under the mulch, but it takes a lot to see results. I usually am putting my coffee grounds in my mulch pile with everything else.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9069442

I do the same thing Elaine! However, I discovered one of my dogs likes to try and find "treats" in my decayed vegetables! She got sick one night (was OK in a few hours) but I think she ate something that didn't agree with her. So now I have to really hide it from her. I ended up putting a bunch of bad fruit, vegetables, coffee grounds in a big container on my deck. Too tall for her to get into! I just kept mixing it up with the potting soil. I also put some on some other pots in the yard and put pine straw on top of it and then bricks so she couldn't get to it. She will eat anything she can find!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 4, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9069471

Well, I was putting coffee grounds around one of Leigh's other gardenias a couple of years ago... but then he thought it was not looking right and wanted me to stop. Now they are the ones that are so green and healthy. I have been just putting my coffee grounds with my other kitchen scraps and taking to my 'compost pile' which is not really a pile because my chickens, and Dewey would scratch through it and scatter it - but they enjoyed it... Unfortunately, we lost the hens last week to some type of attacker, and they got Dewey Monday morning early!! We have not been able to catch what is getting them - but he was our last one! :( I personally think it is dogs - since Samson is gone they just think they can do what they want I guess...
Will sure miss my chickens and especially Dewey's crowing... but not getting any more until we have a big dog that can keep the predators from coming around !!! so, I guess on a positive note maybe my compost pile can finally grow some!
I do usually take my banana peels out and put next to my rose bushes or somewhere... guess I will share a few with the gardenia.

How much epson salt do you put out?? I can hear Leigh saying the "salt" is going to KILL my plants!!! although I know epson salt is magnesium...

Thanks for the link Kim... I am off to read about it now...

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 9:42 AM
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9069480

I have problems with the skunks and other wild critters strewing peels , lettuce or anything I try to put in the compost piles. I find it all in my beds and I have to pick it up again.. Sad to say most things I just send down the disposal these days.
I have a cute photo this morn. This is our oldest cow probably over 20 yrs. We didn't let the bull get to her last year because she was so poorly looking. Well guess what she is with child again. This cow bird was giving her a needed massage walking on her poor tired bones for her. In bliss I think so.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9069486

Sorry to here about the chickens Genna. We gave up too due to the hawks. We have way too many fox around here too. I guess we are going to have to get a dog to keep the critters out. I hate going through the puppy stage though.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9069492

She does have a very blissful look on her face!!!!

A couple of nights ago I had taken the dogs out for one last time before going to bed. Samantha was barking like crazy and the kind of bark where you know they have something. I went to look and at first I thought it was a cat she was barking at. As I got closer I realized it was a big possum that was hissing away at her. Samantha was about a foot away from the stupid thing!!! I had to pick her up - she wasn't going to give up on scaring it away!!! I had been watering some things and sprayed it with water and at first it still wouldn't leave! Finally scared it away! I need to get my Have a Heart trap back out!!! But I hate having to find a new home for what ever I catch.

I just checked my caladium bulbs and they are spouting away!! I have the in the mini greenhouses with the flaps totally opened. Don't remember ever being able to get caladium bulbs started this early!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 4, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9069538

Cindy, bless her heart... guess she just thinks having babies is what she is made to do! I bet she is enjoying that massage though. I really think that our problem is dogs! If Leigh catches them they are going to be in serious trouble... I told him he can't just shoot any dog that comes around though...because Sam roamed the neighborhood for several months before he was hit by the truck. I am pretty sure I know which dog it is - and I think it is the same one who got the 30+ chickens several years ago before we had Sam...

We have two large hawks - a beautiful pair - that has been at our property for several years before we ever built. We have never had any problem with them messing with anything other than I am sure they have killed some of my songbirds. But I have seen them with several snakes which is fine with me. But Sam would bark at them too if they got too close to the house...so they may venture closer with him gone too.

Ya'll please whisper a prayer for Jessica today if you don't mind. THere is SO MUCH drama and mess going on at school, and the teachers are loading them down with massive amounts of homework. I don't think they have done the work they were supposed to all year, so now here at the end they are trying to cover it all at a ridiculous pace!! She was gone to a state FBLA contest Monday and yesterday and got almost no sleep, and she worked on homework the whole time she was gone to it too...She has a huge AP biology test tomorrow and she hasn't been there while they were going over the material and so she is afraid she will not do well, now she has texted me and she has a ton of homework in several other classes in addition to trying to get ready for the test. She is about to snap from the stress of it all - and she only has a few more days to go... I know she can do it, but I am really worried about the stress level she is under. So, if you dont mind sending a few prayers her way today, I know that will help! Thank you! Thankfully they get out of school for Friday...but I bet they send a ton of homework home for the weekend. One teacher even assigned an entire book and essay over Spring break...while she went to Florida and sat on the beach!

Charlotte those possums are fierce little creatures! and they seem to multiply rapidly... but better that than a skunk! We have lots of skunks around the house...and I hate those things!! Thankfully most of them have stayed out away from the house and I hope they continue to do so!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9069558

I was just out looking at my front beds and couldn't believe there are stalks and buds on some of my day lilies. They are some of the ones Cindy gave me.

Genna hope Jessie doesn't get too stressed. She's too young to stress - she needs to have fun!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 4, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9069672

I agree but this year has been horrible! One stressor or drama after another... thank the Lord i only had one girl! I don't think I could have taken this for a housefull! :) She is SOOO beyond ready to get away from all the petty crap that is going on... and the favoritism that is being shown to some of the kids. Our principal lets his children rule the school - and so their friends are the ones who get all the special attention. Just so ready to move on! As she says, 23.5 days and counting!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 4, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9069786

Well, we have babies, possums, skunks, flowers and I need to add armadillos to the list--lol

So many things going on, but I want to thank you all again for your prayers, they are doing well today. The baby was born at 36 weeks, so they have a rule, he must stay in the nursery for 36 hours. The parents can go in, but no one else. He will go into their room about 8pm tonight, so I think we will go tomorrow night. She is going to have to stay 4 days. My arms are itching to hold him, but there are lots more arms itching too so I will wait my turn. Jerry needs some rest he is worn out.
The doc told her this morning she lost 6 pints of blood, and they gave her 4, her count was high enough that she thought they would probably not give her anymore.

Love to all
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 4, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9069810

Great news, Sandra. Squeeze that baby for me, too. I love that baby smell!

Terrye
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9070026

Wow, Sandra! That's a lot of blood to lose, but I'm glad she is young and otherwise healthy so it sounds like she has recovered quickly.
Justin looked healthy in his FB picture too. He sure looked long, but maybe it was just the angle. You couldn't tell he was a little early!
How much did he weigh? I know you are excited to hold him but you are more patient than I probably would be!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9070037

Yes Sandra that was a lot of blood to lose. I'm like Elaine he looks big and healthy to me!
I know she is so anxious to hold him and to get him home!

I've got a lot to do next week but this week I'm spending all my time in my yard!!! Have lots to do but I've decided to just enjoy doing what ever I decide to do!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 4, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9070113

He weighed 5:13, he sure had a lot of yelling to do too--he was kicking and crying and had walleyed himself down to the bottom of his bed. They should be moving him in with them tonight, Heather has to stay 4 days.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9070499

Good morning we are getting heavy rain again right now and under tornado watch. I need this to quit, so much still needs doing in the yard but Mother Nature love to show us who's boss. I hope y'all have sunshine and under 80 degrees today. We are 63 right now but I am sure it will warm up fast. Supposed to be only 80 today. Looks like these storms are headed to Sandra. You be careful if you are headed to see that baby.

I have a few more La Iris blooming. This first one looks as if it was spray painted. The base is a bit more yellow than than the camera would pick up The Amaryllis is Papilio The last photo is a Japanese roof or root Iris.

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9070530

I need some help. I have two broken shovel heads that I want to paint some short saying on and put handle down in my beds. Can y'all think of something short to paint on them that maybe has something to do with a shovel or digging. I can't come up anything.

My short phlox is really blooming this year

Thumbnail by Riverland

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9070577

"I dig gardening"

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9070586

Here are some more I just found on a website (the other one came to mind when I thought about 'shovel'). I guess I have a warped sense of humor...my old, close friends will tell you this is true.

Compost happens

I don’t remember planting this

Annuals: live fast, die young

Weed ‘em and reap

Plantus unknownus (my personal favorite)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9070594

Love your LA iris! My amaryllis are starting to bloom now also. Another one of my favorite flowers!!!

You all really have had a lot of rain!!! No rain here today but it is a little cooler and kind of windy today. The sun is actually out.

I plan to spend the day in the yard. Lots of things that need to be done. As my azaleas fade I'm dong some pruning on them. I have to do a little every year or they will get totally out of control. I also have some kind of vine that always grows through my azaleas in the front. I got some of it out yesterday. I even have a nadina bush that has popped up in the middle of my azaleas and is now about 4 ft tall! Gotta come out!

Cindy that's a really cute idea but I'm not good at coming at with sayings. A young mom that is coordinating the renting of our garden boxes and also has started a blog for the neighborhood has come up with some cute names at our garden. She is painting signs for everyone on weathered wood and nailing to the side of the box. Here are some she has come up with - she has used either the first or last name in the sign. Bone Yard - Ramsey's Roost, Clay's Dirt - Major Dirt - there are a lot more but I can't think of them. Mine is just Charlotte's Spot.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9070600

We did a cross post Elaine. Those are cute.

I did make a new wreath to go on DH workshop door yesterday. I try to keep something on the door and the one I had on it fell apart. I found this mesh stuff on sale at a florist for 4.99. It was marked 19.99. Then went to the Dollar store and bought gloves, etc to put on it. Still need to do a little tweaking.

Thumbnail by cperdue

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9070641

Thank you Elaine I came up with some of those too in my looking
I think I may do the
I Dig Gardening. and Bloom Where You Are Planted.
saying I always wanted to paint on a plaque and put in my garden is
1. We are born of this earth and when we die we return to this earth
but in between we garden.
2. 'I cleanse my soul by 'washing' my hands in the soil'.
3. Aroma therapy... dirt, flowers, garden!

I found this cute poem in my search I had never come across it before

Good Morning glory, what's the Four O'clock news?
Johnny jump-up lost his shoes.
Black-eyed Susan has her eye on you!
And the Tulips want a kiss or two.
Iris just wants Rose to know,
Sweet William is her favorite beau.
Busy Lizzie took her Butcher's broom and chased the Cattails round the room.
Poor Weeping Willow isn't feeling well,
And Hollyhocked her Chimney Bell.
Yesterday Daisy cut off Aaron's Beard.
Then whispered, "Forget-me-not," in Elephant's Ear.
Today a Texas Ranger knocked at my door,
Creeping Jenny found a Naked Lady lying on the floor.
Tomorrow, who knows what gossip there'll be,
The flowers are from such a large family.
Let's talk again soon.
Good Day Lily!

Charlotte love the wreath. I wish I were more talented at doing wreaths.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 5, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9070654

cute wreath Charlotte!

Cindy, your flowers are beautiful. i love that short phlox, but then I just really like phlox! I can't believe you are getting even more rain!

Friends, I am once again asking for your help with prayer. As you all know, Alex has really been struggling in med school and today he has a HUGE test...followed by a big national test on Tuesday. Actually he has two tests today... His first one just started at 10... will probably last 2 - 3 hours. The second one starts at 3 pm - so if ya'll could please just lift him up in prayer. I know that many of you helped me pray his thru his MCAT and interview...and this test he is taking today is like 40% of the course grade in this particular course. He REALLY needs a good grade on it!! I would greatly appreciate the help!

Sandra, so glad to hear that Heather is doing ok! That is a LOT of blood to lose... Justin sure looks bigger in the photos - guess it is just the angle! He sure appears to be healthy ...hope you get to start spoiling him soon!!

Hope everyone has a blessed day... headed to a track meet this afternoon, and I am off work tomorrow. WOuld love to spend the day working in my yard, but I have been trying for months to find a day when Jessica and I could go look at different types of cars to see what she likes and what we can afford for her to take to college. I dread spending the day at car dealerships because they ALWAYS frustrate me so much!! But, we just never seem to have any time, and it is such a slow process - so we are going to try that tomorrow.

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 5, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9070656

Cindy - we cross posted... love your sayings...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9070665

My grandson at college does not have a car at school and it sure makes me feel better and I'm sure his parents feel the same way!!! His school is in the middle of downtown San Jose and there is very limited parking and what parking is available is very, very expensive. So none of his friends have cars at school either. They use public transportation to get around. He even uses public transportation to go home. Public transportation is free to all students at the college. He just has to show his id. To go home he catches a bus from the school to the commuter train. Then rides a train home.
He is really going to have a great room set up next year. He is having to move to another dorm because they are going to be renovating the one he is in. He will have what actually amounts to an apartment in the dorm. He and 3 other boys will be suite mates. They will have 4 private bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The bedrooms are centered around a common living area for the 4 of them. The living area has a full kitchen - stove, ref, dishwasher, etc. He and his best friends have picked two other boys they know real well.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9070677

Poor Alex...med school is very tough! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Okay, I have a couple of sayings...
I am so excited about spring that I wet my plants.
I am holding on by the seed of my plants.
What this country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds...Will Rogers
All gardens are a form of autobiography...Robert Dash

The last two sayings I got from the book "The Gardner's Guide to Life." I read it often!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9070683

Those are cute sayings too, Cindy! Really love your flowers.

Charlote, love your wreath! You could go into business selling those in your booth!

Prayers for Alex, Genna. And hope y'all are successful finding a car. My friend at work just found one for her really tall son! They got a 2002 Volvo for him. Needs a little minor work (timing belt and tune-up) but it was the one of the only things he could fit into and that they felt he'd be safe in. He'll be taking it to college too in a couple of years.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 5, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9070686

That would be nice - but you know south arkansas doesn't have public transportation! Of course, if worse comes to worse, she could ride with Kyle. But of course, she thinks she needs her own vehicle! :) Her car she is driving now stays in the shop fairly often so i doubt it would hold up to much extended out of town driving... has quite a few miles on it. We may not do anything until we see where we stand on scholarships. But this has been such a crappy year for her, that IF we can figure out what she wants, and if it is in our price range, we might try to surprise her with it at graduation! I know she isn't expecting anything until August because that is when the boys got their vehicles, plus she knows we have to get the college paid for first! But, it is just something I would like to try to do ...not sure if it will happen. Thankfully Leigh got his car paid off last month, and so that will help in taking on another payment!

The dorm sounds awesome for next year! As a senior, Natalie has a dorm similar to that in the new dorms at OBU - with a private bedroom, there are 4 bedrooms, but if I remember correctly there are only 2 bathrooms...and they have a small kitchenette area but no stove or anything. A full kitchen would be great! That is one reason Alex moved into the on campus apartments as soon as he got the chance because he wanted to be able to fix his own meals instead of eating in the cafeteria.

Kyle is changing room mates next year... will be rooming with a boy he met at Boy's State that is playing football at OBU. Had planned to room with him this year, but the other boy had to room with another player...this coming year he doesn't have to do so.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9070704

They got a car for Jake to drive when he was in high school. But they never called it his car "family" car. DIL is very particular about safety features. She will not let them have a car that is older than a 2006. Supposedly that is the year they changed safety standards and she doesn't feel cars older than that are as safe! They found a 2006 Honda CRV for him. That's why Jeff wanted to keep his dad's car. It is a 2007 Toyota with only 49,000 miles and fits her safety standards! LOL That will give the twins each a car to drive to school next year. They cannot drive with any other kid in the car with them until they are 17. So technically the two of them could not drive in one car to school together as they are twins and the same age. Problem solved!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 5, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9070831

I love that first iris, Cindy! I planted my tomatoes this morning and then mowed the yard, I was worried if I would be able to mow, but I made it fine pushing the mower! It sprinkled a little on me and came a nice little shower just as I finished mowing.

There is a saying that I would have to use if I were putting a sign in my beds, FREE WEEDS, PICK YOUR OWN !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9070839

I have to share this quote from an old high school friend of mine who is also a gardener.

"If you want happiness for an hour or so --get Drunk!- If you want happiness for a year-Fall in Love!!- But if you want Happiness forever-Plant a Garden!"

Sandra I've been using the edger like the one you also got. I love it! I wish I had know about it earlier. I'm trying to get my front bed edged and more weeds out. I also need to mow. I have so much that needs to be done not sure where to start. But I decided to concentrate on the front first and get it whipped into shape and then move to the back!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 5, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9070865

Charlotte, that is one of the those half moon shaped edgers? similar to a straight hoe but sharper...

PLEASE say a prayer...Alex just texted me and this morning's test did not go well. There is a very real chance that he might fail this course... we are not sure what happens if he does. PLEASE pray this afternoon's test goes better. Not sure that it is worth enough points to offset this morning, but maybe! He needs to do great on it.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 5, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9070899

Sometimes they think they don't do well when they do, we are praying this is the case here, he is so smart but I know it has to be hard on him.

Yes it is one from Amazon and it is all steel, I love mine too, it is so much better than the one I broke.
http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Garden-206-Ergonomic-Stainless/dp/B000QV08AK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333654634&sr=8-1
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9070909

Well I tackled cutting low limbs and fallen limbs down the drive this morn. I sure was dreading picking all that up. Along came 2 guys that work for Jimbo. They were hauling off some long boards since they had just got through reflooring a 18 ft flat bed trailer. They hauled my limbs off for me and it loaded that trailer down. It would have taken me a couple days to drag all that off.
Next project is to get these chairs I bough at a garage sale 6 or 7 years ago cleaned, sanded and painted. I pressured washed them after this photo and got a lot of the old paint off. Of course they have been painted many colors over the years. If they were in better shape I would have them sandblasted but I think the paint is holding some of the metal together. Anyway I hope to get them painted this afternoon or tomorrow. I think I am just going to paint them dark green so you don't see all the flaws so much. Or I might paint them yellow.

Thumbnail by Riverland

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9070926

Oh, Cindy, I love that green chair in the front. My aunt used to have some like that. Burned your legs when you sat on them, lol! But great pieces.

Sandra, that half-moon edger looks better than the one I bought at Lowes too! I use mine a lot for edging the bermuda but if it ever breaks I'll look at ordering this one. Looks a lot better.

Genna, did you get your Felco's yet? Just wondering if you've had time to give them a try. I hope Alex did better than he thinks! And will keep praying for him! It's tough on him and on you I know!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9071004

Taking a short rest break! Sandra I think you posted the link to the one you were buying last year. I ordered the same one. It's getting the job done. I have the big bed and the grass by the street and one side of the driveway done. This works a lot better for me than the weed eater. I hate those things. I have a nice gas powered weed eater but the nylon cord keeps breaking for me and I spend half my time fixing the cord! I like a nice trench too. That seems to keep the grass from getting in the beds better.

Love those chairs Cindy!!! They were quite a find! My grandmother had a set of those. So fond memories for me too.

I've got to trim the boxwood and azaleas in front next! I have had 3 huge piles in front of my house for the last 3 weeks and have that much more to go! I like to get my azaleas trimmed just as soon as the blooms fade. If you wait much later they want bloom good the next year.

Genna like the others said Alex may have done better than he thinks on the exam!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 5, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9071098

Took a few pics of some of my clematis today before the storms got to them this evening.
Here's Omoshiro (Thanks, Kenny!!) This is it's first blooms. It's only about 18 inches high.

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 5, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9071105

Here's a few more.

Thumbnail by tryliv   Thumbnail by tryliv   Thumbnail by tryliv   Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 5, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9071109

This is what I did with one of the Jap. Maples I lost last winter. Decided, if I liked it, i'd replace it with a metal tree when this one rots out.

Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9071110

Terrye those are beautiful!!! I love clematis with roses!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9071111

What a great idea the bottle tree is!!! Love the shape of it!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9071116

Yes Charlotte I loved the chairs too. My grandmother had those when I was growing up. I can't believe I have let so many years go by without ever fixing them up to use. When I saw them the Lady wanted too much for 4 chairs and wouldn't take what I offered but when she walked off her husband did. One of them was my MIL and it was broken but I mended it. Two of them are rockers.
Elaine I can so remember burning my legs on these type chairs when I was a girl.

Man created the weedeater so you would lose your religion and CUSS. I have a gas powered blower, pressure washer, big tiller, small tiller, and weedeater. All of them except the weedeater will crank fairly easy if you prime, choke, pull. The weedeater will usually finally crank when I am exausted, swearing, and ready to throw it in the river.

Genna forgot to say said a little prayer. I am sure he did better than he thought.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9071119

Terrye I am so jealous I have been on Brushwoods waiting list for Omoshiro for 2 yrs. Your blooms are beautiful as they always are.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9071156

Know what you mean about losing your religion with gas motors!!! I need to get my lawn mower started now and dread that. On the list for tomorrow! I used staybil or however you spell it in the gas so hopefully it want be too bad. Then I need to get the gas power washer out and power wash the deck. It is a necessity this year! Then I need (have!!!) to reseal it. I have a gas chipper/vac and it is so much trouble I seldom get it out!!!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 5, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9071161

Thanks! I am having to cut way back this year but I'll have to have a few new clematis.

Cindy , I love the Omoshiro. I couldn't believe it was going to bloom. I was afraid I had lost it last fall but it came back. It is small. The two blooms just about cover the whole plant!

I lost two of my big older Jap. maples last winter but all those new ones we got at Jackson last year are doing great this spring, even the Autumn Moon.

Terrye
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9071178

My Japanese Maples are doing good too. I ordered some new clematis too. I have decided no more beds, so like parking lots, when you run out of space you go up.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9071181

I have some Japanese maples in the back that I've had for probably about 6 years and all off a sudden this year they have really grown and taken shape. I had planted a butterfly japanese maple two years ago and it is really growing too. I had to do a lot of pruning on the azaleas where it is located. You couldn't see it for the azaleas! I think it is my favorite!

I love Brushwood's vines!!

I'm like the rest of you - adding more clematis!!! I'm running out of room on the ground so I'm now letting things grow up!! LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012

Post #9071182

Cindy we did a cross post! LOL
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9071666

Are we all going nuts over clematis??!! I absolutely LOVE that Omoshiro! If anyone finds some, let me know. I also love it for the size. I don't have too many places where I want one of those that gets 8-10 feet!! Charlotte, maybe you're right, we're running out of room on the ground, so all we can do is go up, lol!

Terry, I don't know if I'd have the heart to replace that dead JM with a metal bottle tree! That looks great! Part of the charm is it's irregularity. I have a bottle tree and you can bend the 'branches' somewhat, but not so they would look like your real tree.

Cindy, had to laugh about the weedeater. That's one task I leave to DH. My DD got a slight tear in her rotator cuff a few weeks ago just trying to start her lawn mower. Oops! Don't want one of those. She's a lefty and was pulling with her right. Also found out she has a bone spur in her shoulder too. May have to have some surgery to fix it but it will be fairly minor.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9071700

Good morning and Happy Good Friday!!! Time to plant!!!!!! YEA!!!! I have been collecting plants to put out since Cindy and I met up at FH. Let the fun begin!!!!

Love all the sayings Cindy but I'm with Sandra. I saw that sign years ago in FH and almost swiped it from this lady's front yard. It is so appropriate for my yard/weeds!!!!

Terrye your pictures are beautiful!!!! I also love clematis but only have 2 and have no idea where to put them so they are still in pots after about 5 years!!!
I also love the JM bottle tree. Neat idea with the JM instead of the wrought iron.

tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 6, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9071796

I love the bottles on the tree, too. I'm going to keep the tree until it breaks down, then I'll have to replace it. The metal ones are not as pretty to me either, too regular. I'm hoping by then I can find one I like, more natural looking.

Donahue's has some great clematis, too. I got several from them last year and was impressed with their plants and shipping. good selection, too.

Here's Crystal Fountain

Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9071932

Terrye, thanks for the info on Donahue's.

Jeri/all. I was all set to plant a few things last night and we had the 'Texas' thunderstorms and hail that ripped thru our neighborhood around 6. Anyway, I held off and glad I did. We may have frost on Tuesday night. Not sure I want to plant much now, but I may set out a few of my taller plants and just go cover them up!

I did get a few more things fertilized and put out the Imidicloprid on some of my evergreens before the rain. I also found the Ironite I couldn't find the other day. It is a liquid form, not the granules I bought the other day, so I mixed up some anyway and put it on the gardenia that was looking so sickly.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9072494

I've gotten some clematis from Donahue's and have liked them also!

Didn't seem to get a lot accomplished today - was in a kind of pittling mood!!
I did get my front yard mowed and the lawn mower was not hard to start. But I'm adding gas cans to my list of cussing things!! I hated the gas can I had and bought a new one at the end of the year last year. I was going to take the lid off and add a little more sta-bil - but guess what - for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the blooming lid off!! So I guess when I use all the gas in it I'll be buying another one!

I have decided I'm going to slightly enlarge my front bed. When I came around the tree in front I curved the bed back toward the house. For some reason I have a low spot in the yard up close to where my concrete bench is. I was thinking about buying a few bags of dirt and a few squares of sod to raise it up. But instead I think I'll just move my stone and straighten out the curve and maybe move it over just a little more. Then I think I'll just buy some of the peat humus I bought for the garden and also dig some dirt out of my compost pile and put in there. Think I'll just put a bunch of cardboard down over the grass rather than dig it all up like I did before. The grass is not as thick in that spot anyway for some reason. Then I think I'll put some stepping stones down to the bench. So I'll have a little more sun spot to plant in!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9072636

Well actually I didn't get much accomplished either!!! I sure am pleased with the results of my labor today. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow. I got my crotons in the ground behind the big rock beyond the pond. I still need something to go back there but not sure yet what it will be. I put together the fountain planting and I'm excited about the results. I had a disaster covering it this past winter. With it not getting cold my plants cooked so I had to completely replace everything. I found a new shovel and new gloves. The kind with a thin leather on the bottom and some kind of cloth on top.

Sorry about the temps dropping like that. You made me go double check ours but our lowest for the week is 57 and that should be find. It's 85 for the high that I'm worried about.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9072656

The little girl next door saw me out late this afternoon and came running over to tell me about the really cute raccoon she saw in my front yard!!!! Seems he was under my car and came out and walked down my sidewalk going to the front door and then walked through my flower bed!!!! She said he was so cute and really fat - was just waddling!!! So just this week there has been a huge possum in my back yard and a huge raccoon in my front yard!!! Time to get out the trap!!!! The cute fat raccoon could be about to have a big litter of them!!! I guess the jack rabbit will show up next! You would think I lived in the country instead of in the middle of the city!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9072871

Charlotte, my DD, who lives in town in Hsv, sees more possums than I do in the country. I know I have them running around (they stole a bunch of my veggies last year), but her dog catches them and brings them to her back door! I hate possums! We're buying a trap this year and borrowing one from our neighbor.

Going to try for a nursery trip this morning for a few things for my pots. I feel way behind for some reason. Maybe this weather is why.

Happy Easter, everyone.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9072882

I have a trap but just hate to use it! I have to wait until the dogs have gone out for the last time to set it in the back and then have to check it before I let the out the next morning. I've never tried setting one in the front - no telling what I might catch!!! I have caught possums and raccoons in the past. I had a raccoon that somehow pulled the water supply line out the the waterfall in my pond and almost drained it one year. It was when I first put a pond in and was a smaller pond with with smaller pump and water line. I got him!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 7, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9073028

He was fishing Charlotte and though it was his fishing line---LOL

I feed our Tom cats on the front porch and I have to be careful about not giving them too much at nigh, if I do the coons and possums come by and eat it up for them, also have skunks come by every now and then to,check the cats bowl. all kind of critters out here in the country. I can take them all better than the hogs and armadillos that dig, I think skunks will dig too. I really get mad at those diggers !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9073182

I don't any of those critters but I've lived with them this long and guess I'll continue!! LOL

Meant to tell you all this earlier but forgot. When I was at the antique mall yesterday a new dealer has a bunch of the tea cup bird feeders she made and also those stacked vases that make bird baths. We've all seen those on here. But what I noticed was the way she made her bird feeders. She glued her tea cup and saucer on to the bottom of a bud vase. The bud vase can then just fit over a piece of rebar bamboo or whatever you want to use. You all might have seen them done that way but I hadn't. May make a couple of myself. If you are like me you have a bunch of those cheap bud vases around that you just hate to throw away!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 7, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9073381

That is a good idea, I had a bunch of stuff I was going to make glass sculptures with and threw it all away. I just lost my desire to make them.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9073457

I've just never had a desire to make any of the glass sculpture things but I do think I'm going to make some of the bird feeders with cups and saucers. They are really cute and very easy to just glue a cup and saucer together and then glue the saucer to the bottom of a bud vase. We all have some kind of stick we can put it on. E600 glue works great outside. I used it to glue the glass cabochons on to plywood. The plywood is starting to rot but the cabochons are still there!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9073527

I finished the fountain planting, yesterday. Here is a picture of it.

Thumbnail by jeri11

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9073533

That's really pretty!! I bet it's fun figuring out something new every year. I have some asparagus fern that was in a big planter with a hosta and hardy fern and would you believe it made it through the winter and is growing like crazy!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 8, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9073902

Is that hibiscus on the bottom? The fountain looks great! They are calling for low 40's here a couple of night this week, hope it doesn't frost everything is looking so good right now.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9073932

Happy Easter and thank you Jesus. We live because you gave your life for us!!!!!

Yes, I managed to get 3 hibiscus on the bottom. I put Snow Queen hibiscus in baskets and have them hanging on the front porch. First time no ferns up there.

Thumbnail by jeri11

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9074004

Happy Easter Everyone!!!!!!

Seems I can't keep up, I'll try to catch up later.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 8, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9074489

Thanks for your prayers everyone! He did NOT do well on the test... and neither did a large percentage of the class! The teacher is REALLY bad, and he doesn't know what they are going to do. He has to make a really high percentage this week on the test or he will flunk the course... odds of him doing that are pretty slim, but he has some study guide book that he has purchased that he is spending the weekend studying. He didn't get to come home for Easter... so the Easter Bunny just had to deliver to his house! :) I don't see how he keeps going,... it has to be so disheartening to study so many hours and do so poorly on the tests! But, he is determined and just keeps going! We don't have a clue what will happen if he flunks this course, but we understand he may have to travel to a different medical school and retake it over the summer...

Jessica leaves on Thursday morning early headed to Atlanta...so we are trying to get all of her stuff together!

Terrye, love the clematis! They are beautiful... Alex has a clematis that someone planted next to his gas light in his front yard. It is loaded with buds, but it won't climb that slick pole. I need to come up with something for it to climb up...but at this point it is just a pile on the ground and so interconnected that I doubt I could do anything with it. I want to move it...but assumed this would not be the right time of year. When should I attempt to relocate it??

Sandra, I like the looks of that edger! I am not good with a weedeater either... We spent the weekend chopping down cane, and cleaning up limbs and debris from Alex's back yard. He has a big pile out front now too Charlotte! We also got his front yard mowed... maybe next week we can go back to working on the house! I think now as the cane pops up, I am going to attempt splitting it open and poisoning it. No way could we ever get it all dug up! Kyle pulled up a lot of it , but it didn't make a dent! I don't think that it will kill their grove since the grove is so large and established... just trying to kill off what is spreading all over his yard! In the back, it is all the way across his yard and over half way across the neighbor on the far side of his yard from the original neighbor who planted the stuff!!!

We went out to eat with my sister and BIL for Easter after church this morning. First time we have ever eaten out on Easter and the food was horrible! Guess the good news is that I stuck a LOT closer to my diet than I had intended because the food was too bad to cheat with !! :( Have a ton of things I need to be doing,...but can't seem to get motivated!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9074783

Genna I would leave the clematis alone. It will continue to bloom for some time. It can be trained to climb the gas light. Someone on my street has a clematis on their gaslight and it is always something I look forward to seeing every year. It is just beautiful. You just need to anchor some wire in the ground and bring it up to the top of the gas light. Then just keep encouraging the vine to cling the wires. One it gets to the top it wil be ok. Then don't prune it and it will just keep coming back every year.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 9, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9075158

Hadnt thought about wire... surely I can handle that! I sure thought it would look pretty growing there... but couldn't figure out what I could put there to make it grow up it!. There is nothing at the base of that gas light except the clematis and some bricks... I guess eventually I should try to add something else there and mulch it good so the clematis has some protection from the heat come summer...

Prayers again please! Alex has another big test for this same course this morning at 8:30!! After the grade he made last week, he really needs to do well on this one! He is just praying to pass... I hope he can do that plus some!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9075238

Genna do you know that clematis like their feet in the shade and their face in the sun. In other words, put their roots in the shade but where they can grow up the support in the sun.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9075354

The clematis was was probably growing up the gas light and someone was cleaning up the yard and just cut it down! What I'm saying is don't cut what looks like dead vine this winter - it's actually just dormant. It may not look pretty but it will come back out. Like Jeri said the roots need to be shaded. Pine straw is good for that.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 9, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9075418

Today is Jeri's birthday and tomorrow's is Terrye's so Happy Birthday girls, sure wish we could all be together to celebrate. We always celebrate Kim's on the plant trip, so Jeri get yourself up here Sat and bring Cindy and Emily with you

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL OUR APRIL BIRTHDAYS !

This message was edited Apr 9, 2012 9:35 AM
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 9, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9075577

Thanks!

Happy birthday, Jeri. I hope you are having a great one.

Terrye

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9075716

Thanks Ladies!!! It has turned out to be a very nice one. I hope you have a good one too, tomorrow, Terrye!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9075862

Happy birthday to 2 of my favorite ladies. I hope they are great.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 9, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9075875

Mine has already been good and isn't even here yet.
I got a new arch trellis for my yard and a Kindle to read on when I'm not working in the yard!

Terrye

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 9, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9075956

You will love that Kindle, I have the app and Amazon has free books all the time, you can set it for night reading and lay in the bed and read in the dark

Here is the new baby Justin Kase

Thumbnail by slcdms

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9076233

Terrye hope you have a wonderful Birthday tomorrow!!! Both presents sound great!

I had to work all day today but got a little plant shopping in while I was out! LOL
I was in Sheridan and there is a little farm supply store that always has plants in the spring. I've stopped several time but I've bought very little from them. But today I got a wonderful find! They had the most beautiful variegated hibiscus. Lots of white and even some hints of red. Too late to take a picture today. Even if it never blooms the foliage is worth it! It is a good size and was $18 which I didn't think too bad.

My sciatica nerve has been bothering me the last couple of days. I'm getting aggravated with it!! I had trouble last summer and it finally went away. This is a totally different place than what bothered me last summer. I'm sitting in the recliner now with the massage pad thingy going hoping it will massage the problem out!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9076256

I'm so frustrated with DG right now. I have tried twice to post photos and both times IE bounced me off. First time I tried 5 pics and the second time I tried 3. I can't do this anymore. I can't use Firefox at work (government computer rules) and can't do pictures at work either (more government computer rules), so the only time I have time is at home. I don't want to corrupt my computer with another browser and am thinking of writing a letter to Dave's to complain. Anyone else having these problems? Anyway, I'm tired and out of time and going to go calm down and read and go to bed.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9076267

I use Firefox and I have the same problems you are having. I can't upload more than a couple of pictures at a time. I've lost lots of posts also!! I thought Firefox is what had been recommended for her to use to access DG.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9076348

That sounds like a really good BD Terrye!!! I've enjoyed mine as well. Jim took me to lunch at Don's and I had my favorite, crab cake. Jim got me the neatest card about how special I am!!!! Terrie baked me a Sock it to me cake and they got me the finest colored hydrangea that blooms until frost and Ashley baked me a chocolate cake and got me a terrianum and my sister made me an entire pan of homemade yeast rolls like my mama use to make for me every morning for Breakfast. I'm about to pop!!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9076362

I had trouble loading 2 pictures of my fountain the other day and I'm on Safari. Something is not right.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9076388

I haven't had any problems lately. I know if you preview they will never post. I resize mine to the longest side 800 pixels short side 600 and don't preview.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9076394

I don't preview mine but I don't resize. Don't like to go to the hassle of resizing and then keeping a copy that is not resized!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9076407

It is pretty easy to do in picasa. Make yourself a folder name it some thing like 2012 reduced. Open the pictures you want to resize. hit export at the bottom when the box comes up change export folder destination to 2012 reduced. Then tell it the size of you want your export to be. You only have to do this once. Export the pics. Picasa will keep your original as it was in your original folder but these pictures will be in a folder by itself with subfolders by date taken. You can also resize in Windows Live gallery and it will not affect your original just put the resized on in the same folder as the original. I just like to do in picasa better to each his own.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9076414

I guess I'm just lazy!! I have a program that resizes very easily. I just choose the ones I want to resize and it resizes it for me. I have to submit pictures for some work I do and they have to be resized. Through my program I can resize a whole folder at one time. I don't need to save an original copy of the ones I resize so I've gotten lazy!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 9, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9076484

Happy Birthday Jeri! Sounds like you had a great day! Or at least on this diet, all that sure sounds great to me!! ^_^ Happy Birthday to you Terrye... sounds like your bday is off to a great start as well.
Sure wish I could see everyone again! Seems like it has been forever since we were all in one place!!

Terrye, both of the boys have Kindles that we purchased before their long flights last year, and then I got Leigh one for his combo anniversary, bday and father's day gift last year. He didn't think he would like it but he RARELY puts the thing down! He reads all the way to LR and back every weekend while I drive!! Of course, I have never used it because I dont have time to read... let me know how you figure out with your schedule to have time to read. I would like to know the secret!

Sandra, what is the night setting? Leigh has a cover with a light on it - and so do the boys, but I am not familiar with the night setting. Don't know if they know they can do that or not. Justin looks like he is growing already!

Hope everyone has a good night!
Genna
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 10, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9076641

I've got to get a cover and protector screens for mine. I got some books downloaded yesterday but no time to read.
I had mentioned to Ray Saturday that I might get one and the girls (and son-in-laws) gave me one on Sunday. I wondered how he had told them so quick but he hadn't. The girls said it was mother- daughter intuition! lol

Terrye
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9076719

Happy Birthday, Terrye!! I know you will love your Kindle. In my post (which I lost twice) I was saying that I have had a Nook for a long time now and wouldn't be without it!! I got a color Nook over a year ago and it is even better if that's possible because I can use it like an ipad too! Also can download magazines if I want although I don't do that much. It sure saves me on weight when I travel.

Sandra, Justin is mighty cute! I know you're glad they are home & you can spoil him. He still doesn't look tiny like a baby who only weighed in at a little over 5 lbs!

Jeri, glad you had such a great day! Sounds like you got all your favorite things! I would have arm wrestled you for those yeast rolls!!

Elaine

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9076759

Happy Birthday again Terrye!

I don't know what I'm going to do about my sciatica nerve problem! The only way I can walk today is to bend over. When I try to straighten up a sharp, sharp pain shoots through the upper part of my leg. It was just bothering me yesterday and had some pain but today it's just ridiculous! From what I've read online I need to keep moving and maybe what ever is causing the pinching will loosen up! I know all that edging I did last week caused it! I think I used my left leg (the one that is now hurting). Got to remember to only use my right leg!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9076787

Whew! I am waaaay behind! Thanks for the April thread, cindy. I've quickly scanned through the posts--enjoyed ll the photos, etc.

Sooo glad Heather and the baby are both doing well, Sandra. I know that was a scare for all of you!

Too far behind to comment on much else. Love all the clematis pics. Al, my love, has a gorgeous clematis growing up his wrought iron porch post in front of his (soon to be mine) house.

In case some of you aren't on FB and haven't heard---Al and I are getting married on May 5th at 1 p.m. at Stonegate Glass Chapel just north of Branson, MO. You are all invited, of course, but I certainly understand if you can't make it. It's a long way for you girls to drive but it would be a very pleasant surprise if I see some of your faces there.

Al and I spent Easter week-end in the St. Louis area visiting various members of his family. We attended the 2nd birthday party of his great-granddaughter. Everyone was very gracious and welcoming of me. It just occurred to me that some of you may not know his name: Allan Adrien Piche'. It is French and pronounced Pea-shay. His ancestors came from France via Canada and settled in Rhode Island. I say that he has a French-Canadian, Rhode Island, Missouri, Cajun accent! ROFL Jeri, you may be the only one who can understand his accent--sort of a cross between John F. Kennedy and a Louisiana Cajun!!! (if you can imagine that!)

This man treats me like a queen. (blushing here) Ours has been a whirlwind romance but I know I have made the right choice. All of his friends and family tell me what a good man he is, but I knew that from our first phone conversation. (blushing again) I never thought I could find this kind of love at age 70 but it's real!! Dreams can come true!

We will be living in his house (he already calls it our house). It is located on top of a mountain near Isabella, MO and I know you will know exactly where that is! LOL The view from his front yard is specatacular! He and his wife (also named Marilyn--yes, I know, it's a bit wierd) moved down here 15 years ago when he took early retirement. The first Marilyn died last year after a battle with cancer.

We are in the process of remodeling the house because Al wants me to feel like it is my house, too. His sisters will be staying here the week-end of the wedding and I would like to get at least the master bedroom and bath remodeled before then. We are going to be very busy between now and then. I won't have much time to be online but I want you all to know that I love each and every one of you and appreciate your friendship. I haven't decided if I am going to keep my DG membership when it expires in late May, but in any case, I still want to be included in your get-togethers and round-ups. You can always contact me on FB.

Al has a fifth wheel and loves to travel so it will be quite easy for us to come to any of the round-ups, etc.

For our honeymoon, we are going on a week-long cruise to the Inside Passage of Alaska from June 16th--June 23rd. We had originally thought of getting married aboard ship but I really didn't want to get married without our families present. My daughter and her husband as well as Al's oldest son are all licensed ministers and will take part in performing the wedding ceremony. I can't imagine anything better than to have your children perform your wedding!!

Anyway, I have rambled on long enough---lots to do!! I may not be posting much but I am not leaving you--just will be away for a little bit. Love you all!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 10, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9076906

Busy, busy, Marilyn, don't wear yourself out doing all that remodeling and wedding planning! I am so happy for you.

Charlotte, you may have ruptured a disk, you should probably get to a doc and at least get them to give you a dose pack if you are not ready for a MRI- if it is just a sore or strain the dose pack will help if you can take them, I can't take steroids myself, they make my heart run away. I am so sorry you are having this pain, as it is all too familiar to me and know how bad it can get.

Thanks everyone for all the comments on baby Justin, since Hardin is only 2 Heather calls him baby Justin to Hardin. He is such a tiny miracle, every baby is, I know, but whenit is in your family it all becomes fresh to you again. It seems Hardin is still just a baby to us, he turned 2 in Feb.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9077063

Marilyn you do know how to move fast! Hope you find much happiness!

Sandra mine is strictly a nerve problem. I've had nerve problems since I was 19. I developed a pinched nerve in my back then that kept reoccurring for about the next 10 years. Then I jogged 3 miles (jogged not walk) every day for over 10 years and developed sciatic. I even have a spot on the left side of my left thigh close to my knee that has no feeling. I have finally gotten myself functioning today!!! I started doing lots of stretching (bending) exercises and took a hot bath. I can now stand up straight and put some weight on the leg. Still have some pain but not too bad. That's the way nerve things are. They come on sudden and go sudden. It's been sort of like a charlie horse in your leg that stays a long time.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9077162

Marilyn,

I know you are over-the-moon HAPPY - you can tell it in your post! Goodo to hear from you. I can understand wanting to have family and close friends taking part in your wedding. That makes it more special and you can travel anytime.

Best of luck and Congratulations to you and Al!! He must be mighty special! Stay in touch and let us know if that 5th wheel brings you into north Alabama!
Elaine

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 10, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9077216

Glad you are feeling better now Charlotte, that is the same pain with ruptured disks, the rupture material pinches a nerve and causes the pain. Please don't overdo for the next couple of days, maybe it will get a lot better.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9077391

I am very happy for you, Marilyn. We will miss you if you don't renew here on DG. I hope you continue to come to RUs and such. We love you and wish the best of everything!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9077495

Don't worry Sandra I'm not going to be doing any table top dancing for the next several days!! I have lots of work to do this week. I worked about 3 hours this afternoon (standing in one spot) and my leg started really bothering me again and I was getting very testy - so I decided it was time to go home!!! I'm going to do some more stretching exercises tonight and hope I can make it for longer tomorrow!! Guess it's time to pull out my big heating pad again also!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9077821

Marilyn I am so happy for you and Al!!! I think it is wonderful. God did not intend us to be alone that is why he created Eve for Adam.

I hope you feel better Charlotte!!! You really have such a busy schedule, I hate to think of you being in pain while you tend to everything.

Well we bite the bullet today and Jim & I bought those new iPhones that have the assistant. Mine does not understand southern drawl at all. The man that sold it to us said it would take a month for her to recognize our way of talking. Jim's has already texted his boss and told him to send money, Jim was in jail and he doesn't have a drawl.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9078013

Jeri that is too funny Yes Siri does take a little while to learn southern but she does. You will find you speak more clearly to her too. I usually do only a couple sentences at a time so I can check it before I say the next sentences. Still beats typing. Wait till she tells you she is busy check back later. That doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Charlotte I hope you get better quick. You do have a lot on your plate.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9078123

Those voice recognition systems are getting a lot better. Does make you stop and think about your pronunciation. Auto spell is about as bad! I sent some very interesting messages before I learned watch very carefully what I had typed!!

My leg is still giving me lots of problems!!! It hurts on the front of my thigh. It started back last night. I can't stand up straight this morning. It was the same way yesterday morning but after I did a lot of stretching it finally loosened up enough that I could stand up without terrible pains shooting down my leg. It's not as bad this morning as it was yesterday morning so hopefully that's a good sign. I hope it clears up soon too!!! Making me very testy!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 11, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9078157

So good to hear from you Marilyn! I know the next few weeks will be very busy for you! I am so happy for you!

Charlotte, sorry to hear that you are having sciatica problems... that pain is so intense, and it sure affects your mood too as you say because ALL you want to do is quit hurting! I have had two back surgeries and still have flare ups occasionally... I hope you get yours resolved quickly! BE CAREFUL of that numbness... although it feels better than pain, it is a serious indication that the nerve is under too much pressure and can cause permanent muscle damage if left that way too long!!

Jeri, I was laughing out loud regarding your Jim's experience with Siri... I don't have Siri but the kids do. Doesn't always work well around here because the signal isn't strong enough, but Alex uses it a lot in LR. Hopefully she will learn that southern drawl soon! :)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 11, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9078253

I have a hard enough time just using the auto dialed on my iphone4. I hardly ever use it unless I am driving.
Amanda's last name is Umberger. Like hamburger, but UM-burger, sometimes when I ask to call Faith, she will say calling Clyde UM-ber-ger, who is Amanda's fil, that I have in case of emergency with the girls. I don't know how she could get that from Faith, even with my drawl ! It is still funny to her her try to say Umberger.
Charlotte, I hope you get better soon. So sorry you are in pain, do you have to work in the stores today?

Jeri, will you be using the text? I have sent you a few in days gone by with no answer ???
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012

Post #9078332

Jeri, that is funny! None of those voice recognition systems ever get our last name right, lol! I gave up on using those things a long time ago. My SIL's mother got one at Christmas and she has a real deep-south accent and was having a heck of a time with Siri. She just didn't understand.

Hope your sciatica gets better, Charlotte.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9078372

I have places I need to be but haven't been able to get my sciatica under control enough to leave yet. Not patient with this!

I have a GPS built into my car and it has voice recognition in it. Even has a little button on the steering wheel to push when you want to talk. I gave up on that thing long ago. Never could understand what I was saying. Much easier to just enter the information manually!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 11, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9078623

Prayers PLEASE folks! Alex failed that test the other day on the head and neck... of course, so did 1/3 of the entire class, but that doesn't really help the situation. The school has more people failing gross anatomy than they ever have, and it is mainly because of the course director who had already been demoted twice, but had to be put back as course director at the last minute because the man who was in that position had stage 4 cancer. This was the only person "qualified" to serve as course director who wasnt already serving as a course director for a different course. Anyway, because he is officially failing this course, he MUST make a good grade on the national test that he took this past Monday. So far, he does not have the results - and from what he says it isn't just a straight grade, but a grade in relationship to everyone who took the test. In other words, he has to make in a certain percentile nationwide. IF he doesn't he will possibly have to repeat this entire year of medical school!! I am not sure about him, but I am not sure I can get thru another year like this past one!!! Plus, he says there are so many in danger of repeating - and that will take seats from the possible upcoming students for next year, so the school doesn't really want that either... it is just a mess. He has worked so hard and he is not too happy with the thought of going thru this year again. Just please join me in praying that he makes a good grade on this national test... says it might be a few days to a couple of weeks before he gets the news. He has another big final on Monday, but it is neuro which he has been doing really well in.

Thanks so much for your prayers! I am so thankful to you for them!

Also, please remember Jessica in your prayers - she leaves tomorrow morning bright and early headed to Atlanta and returns Sunday morning. She is little concerned becuase they are calling for storms... but I am praying she has a safe and fun trip! She interviews Saturday morning with the scholarship committee.

Charlotte, hope you are feeling better!! I don't think any of us are good when it comes to patience...

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9079332

Genna sorry Alex is having so much trouble. I know med school is very hard. Hope he doesn't have to repeat his first year.

Cindy here is the Benzatine (iris/lily which is it?) that you gave me. It's doing great. It has several more bloom stalks. I need to stake it.

Still have my leg pain and can't stand up straight again this morning! It does seem to be working it's way out as the pain seems to be all in one spot. I was trying to massage my leg yesterday and realized there are knots all in the area just above the knee. That's the way my arm gets when I have problems with it. I need some younger body parts!!! LOL I am going to see a chiropractor today. I have the name of one I'm going to call and I hope he can work me in today because I know he is closed tomorrow.

Thumbnail by cperdue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 12, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9079519

Charlotte, it is a glad, mine is blooming too and I just think they are the prettiest color, Cindy gave me my start too. She is not feeling too good either, but she will probably be along a little later.
I am still worried about your back. I would never go to a chiropractor if I thought I had a ruptured disk, I would for other things, but not that. I get my massage tomorrow and I am ready for it too, I got lots of knots that need working out. I hope you feel better soon.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9079570

Thanks for letting me know it's a glad Sandra! It didn't look like an iris or a lily but didn't think about a glad.

I don't think I have a ruptured disk - at least I hope not!!! I did call the chiropractor and he can't see me until Tues and I did make an appointment for then. I've only been to one one time before and that was many many years before when I lots of problems with tight neck muscles. Lots of stress at the time!

Hope Cindy gets to feeling better.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 12, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9079624

Is there a spa near you? The massage might help

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9080422

Have any of you ever heard of BMI? I found a calculator at Ashley's Dr's insistence.

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9080432

Yes! My dr calculates it and enters it in my chart. Is Ashley underweight??? That would be my guess.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 13, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9080687

Charlotte how are you today?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9080708

My leg still hurts but it's getting better. I'm sitting in my recliner now with a heating pad on it and it seems to be loosening it up some. It is always worst when I get up in the morning. I think I just over did it with the edger!! My leg was feeling funny before I got through and should have listened to it and quit or at least used the other leg!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9080721

Boy, Charlotte, you are really having a hard time with pain! I sure hope the chiropractor can help you. There are diferent kinds of chiropractors, you know. Some use one method (the snap, crackle and pop method) and others use different methods. My daughter's husband rarely resorts to snap, crackle, pop but prefers other methods of treating his patients. I started having trouble with rib heads popping out last fall--never had one do that before--and boy are they painful. It feels like somebody is stabbing you in the back with an ice pick. Anyway, it sure is handy to have a chiropractor in the family--Ray was able to get that rib head back in place in no time, although that procedure in it self is painful. But the end result (no pain) was worth it!!

Genna, it sounds like the medical school needs to get its act together and hire a professor who is really qualified to teach that course and is good at it! It's a shame the students have to suffer because of an inept professor! :o((( Prayers for Alex--and you!!

The voice recognition on the phones is really something, huh? My "other daughter Michelle's" (Michelle #2) Iphone texted her boss that if he didn't do something she had asked him to do that she was going to kill him!! ROFL Of course, she has been with him for 20 years so he knew that is not what she was trying to say!!

Thank you all for your loving words about Al's and my upcoming wedding. Here is a link to the chapel where we are getting married.
http://bransonstonegateglasschapel.com/

The wedding is on May 5th at 1 p.m. :o) I know distance is a factor so I certainly understand if ya'll can't come, but you are all more than welcome. :o)

Al and I picked out carpeting and tile for the master bedroom/bath yesterday. Hopefully it will be installed before the wedding. We are trying to get as much done beforehand because several of Al's family will be staying at his place that week-end.

You ladies have a blessed week-end! Love you all!

This photo was taken when Al and I were at the top of the St. Louis Arch last week-end. We went up there to visit his family. The pic is a bit fuzzy--it was taken with my Iphone--a stranger volunteered to take it and shook the phone a little bit.

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9080742

Marilyn you have no idea how happy I am for you! That chapel is gorgeous too!!

Genna so sorry Alex is having such a difficult time, I hope it works out for him.

Charlotte love your garden space and the names. I'm not good at coming up with names either, my imagination is a tad slow.

BMI, Body Mass Index, here's a link Jeri
http://www.ask.com/health/adamcontent/body-mass-index

Waving to everyone, miss y'all!!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9080793

Jeri, yes, that is a simple BMI calculation based on weight. There are numerous other ways to get a BMI. One is a water displacement method but it is much more sophisticated. Is Ashley doing ok and does the Doctor think she is underweight because of her problems?

Marilyn, y'all look great, even with a fuzzy picture! The chapel looks nice too!

Been meaning to tell y'all that I sent a complaint to admin at DG about the photo posting deal. I did get a reply. I tried 3 times the other night to post pics again. They offered to have me send the photos to them via d-mail and they would post but that just seemed weird to me and time consuming. Time I did not have at 8:30 at night after trying to post again. I will try to do it after this weekend I guess. One time I was trying to post, it kept defaulting back to the 'communities' page...that was really strange. And of course I would lose the whole post.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9080821

Yes, Ashley is still throwing up and has lost another lb. since last Friday and yesterday. She still had fluid on one ear but it was clear so she put her on Zertec D and a nasal spray to hopefully clear that up. She is scheduling her with an OB/GYN hopefully soon. If this doesn't help we go back to the gastrologist. Seems like we have been to everything but a neurologist and an internist but I'm sure there are more.

Genna I'm sorry Alex has had such a rough go this year. Is there any way to re-take the test since so many did bad?

Thanks for reporting the problem!! I had that problem also Elaine with it transferring me to the community page. I hope they are able to fix it. I also have some pictures to share if they fix it.

Marilyn you know that I wish you and Al the best!!!! Unfortunately, I can not make it but will be with you in spirit. (((HUG)))

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9080867

My problem is I forget I don't have a 25 year old body any more!!! I unloaded 45 bags of 40lb dirt and manure and placed it around my garden plot and then dug it in all in one afternoon. Then I pruned stuff all over the yard - some actual small trees back behind the storage shed that I had to saw down. After I pruned it all I drug it out to the street. Then if that wasn't enough I edged all around my bed in front and also the sidewalk and edge by the street with a manual edger - I used my left foot to dig the whole thing!! My leg finally said I've had enough!!! I need a break!

Jeri hope you can get to the bottom of Ashley's problem!!!!

Marilyn I'm sure Al's family has seen his house before so I wouldn't worry about trying to get it all done before the wedding. Sounds like you have your plate full!

Elaine I'm glad you complained to adm. That's exactly what it's been doing to me - flipping me back to the community page.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 13, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9081126

I certainly meant no harm about the chiropractor , I have used them and will again if needed, but I would verify my problem before going. I would like to have a resident chiropractor too ! A massage therapist too !!

I am at the hospital with Cayla, she has done something to her back and was up all night with the pain going down her leg, of course they are going to monitor her to be sure it is not labor pains. Then when they clear the baby,msend her back to the ER doctor. I insisted she come this being Friday, she called her OB office and they told her to come to the ER.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 13, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9081141

Charlotte, hope you are doing better by now. I am like Sandra... there is a possibility you have ruptured a disc especially moving that much stuff, but I will pray that is not what it is. There is a simple muscle weakness test that a chiropractor did on me 22 yrs ago to verify that I had a ruptured disc. ... maybe you could ask him to check before he starts adjusting. I go to the chiropractor on a regular basis too...

Sandra, hope that Cayla is ok! Did they give you an answer as to what they think is going on??

Jeri, so sorry to hear that Ashley is still having problems! She has been sick for so long...you would think someone could find out what is going on!! They have checked her gallbladder haven't they?? I have a friend who has been really sick and she is having her gall bladder removed even though the ultrasound doesn't show stones. I had never heard of that before...but they did some type of test on her where they injected some type of fluid which supposedly show the interaction of the gall bladder with something fatty and determined her gall bladder was the problem... just never heard of that before. I always thought the stones were the problem~ please keep us posted on what they say!

No repeating the test...although the school isn't sure what they are going to do at this point, but it can't really afford for so many students to repeat their entire first year. I don't have a clue what they are doing! But then I don't think they do either...

Marilyn, I sure wish I was where I could come to the wedding! I am sure I will once again be working in LR. We only have 6 weekends between now and the wedding and next weekend is college pre-registration and prom so needless to say I won't get any work done that weekend! :) Will be busy fussing over hair and nails, and taking pics! ^_^

Had some iris pics I tried to load, but kept losing my post so I just gave up! Maybe later...

Hope everyone has a blessed day!
Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9081361

Sandra glad you insisted Cayla see the dr since it's Fri. My nerve problems started right after I had Jeff. He was a 10lb 1 and 1/2 oz baby!! I think he caused something to get pinched. She may have something like that going on.

The good news is my leg is feeling much better this afternoon!! The muscle in my thigh just above my knee was just in a knot but it has definitely loosened a lot this afternoon. I just hope it stays that way. Seems to get worse during the night.

It will probably be well by the time I have my chiropractic appointment Tues!!! I may go ahead and go as a preventive measure! I'm very particular about drs I go to and a very good friend has recommended this one. He sounds like he is a lot like Marilyn's Dr. Ray. He also does nutritional counseling as they told me to go to their website to download the forms I need for the first visit and told me there would be two choices - nutritional counseling and chiropractic and to select chiropractic.. I want have anything adjusting done however without some kind of test or xray or something.

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 13, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9081526

Charlotte, glad to hear it is loosening up! That will hopefully be the start of some relief!

Any word Sandra, on what is going on with Cayla?? Hope everything is ok!

Worked outside in my front bed for a couple of hours and you can barely tell it ! I can tell it though because I thought the mosquitos were going to eat me alive!! They are SO bad this year!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9081529

I'm going to try and upload a few pictures. I took these with my iphone so maybe they will work.

The Access School is having a plant sale this weekend. I stopped by today and just a couple of things. What I bought were two Supertunia Giant Pinks. The picture really doesn't show how big it is. It looks like a petunia on steroids and it is a really pretty color of pink. The little small supertunia's do really well for me so I thought I would see if this one does as well.

My variegated hibiscus has a bloom on it! Also see several other buds. The bloom is smaller than some but really pretty. You can get an idea of the foliage and how pretty it is - actually why I bought it.

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9081534

Genna we did a cross post. I couldn't believe it but the city actually had a mosquito spraying truck on my street this week!! Forgot to tell you Alex can call the city (water department) and request that a truck come by his house and spray. They will usually do it but it can take a week or so for them to get by.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 13, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9081595

I am finally home, the baby is fine and no contractions, so the doc sent her home to rest, would not even give her an anti inflammatory, told her to take Benedryl and Tylenol, every 4 hours. She was crying when they wheeled her out, we want Eli to get here safely, but if you have not had that sciatica pain, you have no idea how bad it is. She didn't want to come home with me, but I told Brandon he better not leave her alone, if he needed to go somewhere to call me to come. She has had trouble with that same pain before, but she said it had never been that bad. She can barely get up and down and did not sleep any last night. I got her a ice pack and some more pillows and the benedryl and took to her, I also gave her my massage this morning, it felt better for about an hour and then was right back as bad as ever. Sharon said she had a huge knot in her hip, she said it was the biggest knot she had ever felt since she has been in the business .
I got my pedicure and hair cut and then asked if she wanted to go on to the doc and she said yes.
Maybe by tomorrow, if she can sleep tonight she will feel a little better, I hope so.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9081603

Glad she got to the doctor! I agree Sandra until you've had that kind of sciatica pain you have no idea how it feels! It flat takes you to your knees and there is nothing you can do until it decides to let go!!! So sorry she's having to go through this. I hope it is a lot better tomorrow!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 14, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9082039

I just talked to Cindy and they are in line at the Botanical Gardens at New Orleans to buy tickets, can anyone see how GREEN I am with jealousy in this post--LOL At least maybe they willma,e lots of pictures to show us. They (Jeri and Cindy) called last night about Cayla and Cindy said she was feeling much better, I hope they have a great day.

Charlotte, I also hope you are better today too !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9082074

Oh I would SOOOOOOOOOO love to go to the NO Botanical Gardens!!! Yes I'm green with envy!!!

Still have some leg problems but nothing like it was Tues! It is worse every morning. I've discovered I've got to keep doing stretching to keep the pain under control. The best I've found is to put my legs far apart and do deep knee bends. That seems to loosen something!! So gotta keep moving today.

How is Cayla today??
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9082085

Headed to the er. Broke or sprain bad ankle. Say a prayer for me

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9082182

Praying for you!!! Let us know what is wrong!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9082198

We're done. Severe sprang. Off my feet for 5 days. On crutches. We'll see how things go. Stepped off the back end of the 4 wheeler the wrong way. Twisted my ankle bad. Nurse here at camp said go to er cause it looked broke. But it's not. No pain though. Still swollen. I swear, I can't stay out of trouble

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9082205

No you can't!!! Sure glad it's not broken!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 14, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9082272

(((Kathy Ann))). So sorry, Cayla had a bad sprain one time that took weeks to heal, you better do what they tell u to do, I can't wait on you and Cayla too--lol-- Cayla reports she is a little better today, as long as she doesn't get up, I have been cooking all morning to take to her, I wish she would stay here until she gets better, but she is at home there and that is where she wants to be. It is only about 10 miles from me, but if she were here it would be much easier on me. She did sleep some last night and that helper her a lot.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9082664

Everybody need to stay well and out of trouble!!!!

I was able to work in my vegetable garden today. It is really coming along. Will post a picture.

Hosta people I have a question. I have a hosta that has something sticking up that looks sort of like a day lily prolif. Have you seen anything like this? Wonder if I can plant it?

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9082757

Trouble? I'm pretty good at that. Lol. I do have blood blisters under my arms now from the crutches. Haven't figured them out yet. I mentioned it in fb. But will do so here too. I just love your little veggie plot!!! I can tell u r enjoying it.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9082773

Just glad the ankle wasn't broken!!!

Yes I'm having fun!! Doesn't take much to keep me entertained!!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9083114

Kathy-Ann, glad your ankle wasn't broken, but when I sprained my ankle once it was almost as bad as a break (to me anyway). I wasn't on crutches but it sure did hurt. When I had my knee surgery I had to learn how to use crutches. You don't actually let your underarms rest on the crutches when you walk in them...you use your hands to press down for support. Otherwise you'll end up with chafing under your arms as you have discovered. It's ok to 'rest' on the underarm pads when you've stopped or lightly use them when walking but not really press down.

Charlotte, y'all have done a lot of work in those beds. No wonder you have sciatica! Hope it's doing ok!! We were in Birmingham all day yesterday for 2 grandkids birthdays and watching them play ball (one baseball and one soccer and then a pool party for the youngest). We ended up back at son's house for family party and pizza. Lots of fun but we're worn out when we got home. Off today to watch our granddaughter here play soccer this afternoon. They have been in a tournament all weekend but we've missed all the games. I haven't done much outside as you can tell. Going to get my wheat straw out this morning before it rains tonight.

I have lost a whole flat of tomato plants I started from seed due to whiteflies or spider mites or something I think. They started turning yellow and I thought it was just because they were outgrowing their pots they had been in there so long. I sprayed but a couple of days later they were brown! I think they are goners and I am just sick. Fortunately I had planted 2-3 of my Cherokee purples before the frost and most of my pepper plants and a couple of other tomato seedlings and just covered them up when the frost hit. DH made fun of me when I was out covering them up but they were the only things that survived. I lost my Sun Gold and Mountain Magic's.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9083137

Elaine sorry you lost all those tomatoes!!!

The guy that has a box next to me is also an MG although no longer active. He had planted tomato plants and a couple of other things and they were all looking very sickly and wilted!! Everyone that looked at them was shaking their head and saying "I thought he was a MG". LOL I saw him yesterday and he is replanting his tomatoes. He was very embarrassed!! Seems instead of using the water hose one day, he decided to use this big bucket by the water. He said there was residue in the bottom of the bucket and he rinsed most of it out but it turned out that the residue was where Randy had mixed up some cement and the water he poured on his tomatoes had cement residue in it!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9083344

Kathy Ann I sure hope you feel better today!!! I can't imagine you sitting and taking it easy but I pray that is exactly what you are doing!!!! My daddy took material and wrapped the part of his crutch that went under his arms for the same problem that you are experiencing. It cushions it a little more and the blood blisters won't happen but I have no idea what to do if you already have the blood blisters. Sure hope that improves!!!!

Charlotte I absolutely love your garden plot. I want one!!! I have been waiting since March for my cousin to plow me a row by the barn and he still hasn't done it. After looking at your picture I have no doubt what you did to your back. What kind of wood did Yall use? I saw a kit at Clegg's yesterday when Cindy & I were coming back from the NO Botanical Garden Plant Sale. I may go back and just get it. We had people pack our plants not Cindy and there was no room in the suburban. At one point I think Mary was worried about her being left and her seat used for more plants. LOL!!!

Elaine I am so sorry about your babies!!! I'm glad that you were able to get some out before the problem attacked the others. I got 3 creole, 1 Cherokee Purple, 1 Black Krim & 1 yellow tomato plant along with some yellow squash and eggplants. I really need to get that row plowed.

Well gotta get outside!! Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9083398

So glad you all had a good time at the sale!! Was there any doubt that you would!!!!! I'm still sooooo jealous!!!

The wood is weather proof. It doesn't look like it but it is. I read the label on the lumber but can't remember exactly what it said other than it is weather proof. The guy that designed it and that has done most of the building is an architect and has come up with the neatest design. He added several more yesterday and they are really nice. He built two L's with a smaller rectangular in the middle. He made the ends of the L slanted. He has paid a lot of attention to details also. They are not just boxes with lumber on 4 sides. He has added a wider corner piece at each corner and then a 2 x 4 sits on top of the side of the bed. He bought dirt from a farm that sells dirt. That's what we used to fill the beds. But then I added 35 bags of peat humus, 12 bags of peat humus and 2, 3 cubit ft bags of perlite to mine.

Randy the guy that instigated all this is not even a gardener!!! We just had this plot of unused land that belonged to our POA and he thought it would be a good way to bring the neighborhood even closer together. A way to get both young and old interacting. One of the reasons I've stayed here all these years is we really do have a true neighborhood. Like back when I grew up.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 15, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9084003

So where are the pictures of the trip to NO, girls???

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9084016

That's what I'm wondering Sandra?????
Cindy may still be unpacking her Suburban!!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9084024

That is really a great idea IMHO!!! The older teaching the younger and some times vs versa. I remember you telling us how Yall help each other with a dinner when someone has a baby or is sick or a death in the neighborhood.

Cindy and I agreed that the only way that this weekend could have been better was if all of Yall had made it. I was worried that I had wore Cindy out completely and then the drive back but she called to tell me she found a chocolate mimosa that we saw in NO after going all over Forrest Hill. We both purchased plenty of very nice plants. It was funny that we stopped off at Clegg's and bought just as much there and I was as bad as her. LOL!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #9084164

Our youngest gardener is still in college and living at home. The oldest is in his eighties.

One of the best examples of how we care for each other was when an older lady with lots of health problems died last year. She lived just a few houses down the street. She had some kind of hemorrhage but was able to call 911 before she died. As soon as the ambulance showed up her closest neighbors were out to see what was going on out of concern. One lady went to church with the ladies daughter and immediately called her. She was able to get over just as the ambulance was leaving. Another neighbor left her 4 small children with her husband and took the daughter to the hospital so she would not be alone. The ladies door was locked so the police had to break the door open. After the police finished their investigation a couple of the guys secured her door. Then a couple of ladies (young neighbors) went in about 1 am and cleaned up all the blood so the ladies daughter would not have to see it the next day. On a lot of streets you wouldn't have known what happened must less find people that actually help!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9084349

I agree!!! We are blessed like that here but most of us in our neighborhood are related so I grew up thinking that was how it is everywhere.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9084470

Well, it seems to be catching--your various ailments have made it up my way--I have a rib head out and boy is it painful! Feels like somebody is sticking me with an ice pick! Ray (my chiropractor SIL) has put it back in twice in the last 3 days but it keeps slipping out.
Al and I were going to go buy him a suit for the wedding today and I was going to look for a dress for the wedding but don't know if I will be able to do that --will have to wait and see what develops today.

Sorry to hear about Cayla's sciatic nerve problems and Kathy Ann's foot and sure hope your problem is better today, Charlotte. It is very frustrating to have so much to do and not be able to do any of it! Bummer!

Anyway, you ladies have as good week and I'll check in later.

Love you all!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 16, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9084538

Marilyn, so sorry you have caught it-lol- I had shingles in that area once and they felt like that too, I also cracked some ribs in that wreck I had, so familiar with that kind of pain.

We need a report from the others on the list. Cayla is trying to work today, hope she makes it. She is better. Not well.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9084810

Marilyn as much trouble as you've been having with that rib sounds like you need to find out what's causing it to happen!! Didn't you just have some problems with it a few months ago.

Sandra I'm like Cayla, I'm out and about but my leg is still not back to normal. I have discovered one exercise that really helps me. I spread my legs apart with my toes pointing outward and do really deep knee bends and hold my back really straight while I'm doing them. All kind of things pop and roll but it gives me instant relief!! The dogs keep looking at me with a totally confused look on their face!!! LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 16, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9084833

I would
Be afraid for her to try that as big as she is now--lol. I am glad you are out and about !
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9084855

Hey hope all of you are better soon. We had a great time. Too short. The Botanical Gardens are beautiful. Wish you all could have been there with us. It was fun to watch people go by with different plants in their wagons and to stop and ask them about it. We never did find one grass we really wanted.
Jeri bought me a lovely metal hummingbird sculpture in New Orleans. I hope to get a photo of it this week. We rained all night and all morning so no yard work for me. I bought several gingers while I was at Cleggs. I passed on one in NO that now I wished I had bought. I fell in love with a Chocolate Mimosa tree planted in the ground in at the Botanical Gardens in NO. Jeri and I drove all over Baton Rouge looking for one of those trees for sale. No Luck. I came through Forest Hill on the way home and I searched everywhere for one. I finally found one at the seventh nursery . I bought 2 plum trees and and orange tree while I was there. I got a few more bedding plants for color. I also finally found a Joseph Coat rose. They had a rainbow knockout I had been wanting but I didn't really care for it so I bought another rose bush instead.
Jeri I stopped at the place Mary got the purse and I bought some metal pieces there. One is a female dress form. I will make a photo when I get it set up with pots. I've got to clear coat it first and it's raining.

This is the ginger I didn't buy and wished I had.

Thumbnail by Riverland

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9084964

Well, the foot is doing alot better today, I took the day off work, thought i'd stay off it, ha. I made bread today! it's been a while. have been wanting to do that. Foot is black and blue but i've not taken any ibuprofin since 5:30 this morning and went to walmart, was going to use a wheelchair but they didn't have one so I walked to get my roast . I've done good since I'm not taking too much of the ibuprofin. i am going in to work tomorrow also, but not walking around the store, just working on my embroidery stuff I have to do and that's pretty much it.

here's what the foot looks like today.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 16, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9084978

Still looks pretty bad to me, take care of it.

Cindy, the chocolate mimosa must not spread like the regular ones since it was so hard to find. I will have to looke it up. I know you all had fun there, if you both recover, come go to Rita's with us Sat !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9085039

Cindy you got that ginger at Clegg's and I did too. It's the tall, green one. I can't wait for blooms. Now I have to fine a protected shady spot for the chocolate ginger that we got in NO.

Here is the link on the chocolate mimosa:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56536/#b

KA I agree with Sandra that foot does look painful!!! I'm glad that you are not suffering today with it anyway!!!!

We had 70% chance of rain that was suppose to be here today and tomorrow. We got a drizzle just a while ago and that has been it!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9085142

Kathy Ann that still looks pretty bad to me!!

Cindy you made a haul!!! You got some wonderful plants! That ginger is really pretty - glad you ended up with it!! Forgetting you had bought it sounds like something I would do. I stopped by Lowe's on my way home this afternoon and picked up a few things from the sale rack. I got two big gallon Brunnera's for $3 each. Also got a three plants mixed together in one pot coral bell for $7. It was a big pot. They had tons of them. Must have over bought or didn't go over like that thought it would. I thought it was kind of neat!

It rained here last night. It was really windy to begin with but calmed down after not too long. We got a nice slow rain after that. We really needed it too!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9086084

I just had my chiropractic appointment and I really like him. He did an exray before doing anything. I have a pinched nerve that is caused by a vet old stress fracture. The stress fracture has caused some slippage between L4/L5 which is causing the pinched nerve. My left hip has also rotated upward because of it. What he did was like physical therapy I've had on my arm. He used a machine that stimulated the area to held get rid of the swelling. Then used another instrument to help align the hip. I'm supposed to alternate cold and hot packs on it 2 times a day. I go back for the same treatment tomorrow and Thursday and then twice a week for a month.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 17, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9086168

Sounds good, can you feel any difference yet, I hope it starts to help right away.

Raining here today, I had an outside day planned, and may be able to get out later this afternoon.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9086211

Some better. He said it's a problem he sees a lot in small children that do gymnastics and in football players! Neither appliesj to me!!!LOL. However I was a jogger for over 10 years and used to jump out of the hay loft of my grandfathers barn!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2012

Post #9087317

Question for any of you who have a mulch bin. I just bought one (chose the one from Gardener's Supply over Sams and Costco) after using the wire cages previously. I think I will like it but before I get started using it, do any of you have experience with one? What did you put on the ground under it, if anything? Did you just set it out on the grass? Or did you put a piece of black plastic down or weed barrier or something? I put weed barrier down under the wire cage and I noticed tree roots tried to grow through. I'm going to move some of my good already-started mulch into the bin. The wire bin is too slow but I'll still use it for some things. Lesson learned there.

Charlotte, glad you are doing a little better!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9087366

Hey guys I have a little project - my sister is going to be helping do some landscaping at Our House on May 19th and they have a list of plants they'd like.

So I'm wondering if some of you may have these things you want to share or thin out or whatever. Here's the list and if you need me to pick them up let me know:)

Sweet Potato Plant (green) –
Geraniums (any colors are great!)
Spider Lilies
Impatiens (any colors are great!)
Mint and thyme (all varieties are great)

Gardening Supplies:
Small shovels (to use on the day of or to donate so that our residents could
continue tending to the space)
Soil

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 18, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9087376

hello everyone! Just trying to play catch up! Jeri and Cindy, I am sure ya'll had a great time and got lots of nice plants! Cindy, I LOVE that Chocolate mimosa!!! But then I love regular mimosas too and I know a lot of people hate them! Where did you locate it ?? I would love to have one! Looks like a lot of people on DG are looking for one of them too!

Got Jessi home from Atlanta Sunday morning...she had been up the ENTIRE night before and had gotten about an hour of sleep on the plane! Just a little tired to say the least! She slept while we were waiting for our "breakfast" at Cracker Barrel, then she slept all the way to Searcy, and a good part of the way home from LR. We went to Searcy for the wedding shower, and also went by to look at the Episcopal Church parish hall which is where I plan to have the rehearsal dinner... it is a small building but very pretty. I think it will be nice there!

Made a trip back to LR yesterday for three follow up doctor visits with the pulmonolgist, rheumatologist, and the endocrinologist... got them all done on the same day and over with! The endocrinologist said the knots in my thyroid are stable and not growing, and so she doesn't need to see me for a year! The other two aren't officially treating me for ANYTHING and they want to see me in 6 months! :( I will probably cancel both appts but I want to see how I do when the heat and humidity start up this summer! ALL three doctors had fussed at me to lose weight...I am down 14 pounds since November and December when I saw them all last and ALL THREE asked me WHY I was losing weight!! Guess they just wanted to verify I was TRYING to lose weight...but the way they all worded it really was funny! Went to Hancock's to try to get some fabric to do some decorations for the rehearsal dinner and they didn't have what I needed. Wanted some different fabric for some aprons and couldn't find what i wanted on that either! So, I got frustrated and went to Good Earth Gardens and bought some plants instead! ^_^ I had stopped at Lowe's and bought a couple of things on the way into town to kill some time before my first appt, but I had been wanting to go out to Good Earth for several weeks. Bought a few things and drooled over several more! :) Got home in time to get a few of them in the ground, but not all.

Saw the solar flare baptisia and a couple of others that I thought were pretty. Those of you that have them...do they bloom all summer or just in the spring?

KA, sorry you hurt your ankle! When Kyle sprained his so badly his junior year of football, the doctor made him wear a boot for 6 weeks because he said that it was often worse than a break because people would not allow it to fully heal - and if not it would be reinjured over and over... so hope you stay off of it as they suggest and let it heal!

Sandra, I know Cayla must be miserable! Sciatic pain is bad enough by itself! I can't imagine having it while being big pregnant too!! Prayers that she is feeling much better! Charlotte, glad they found out what the problem is. I hope that he is able to help you feel better quickly!

Cindy, I saw the broom plant at Lowe's as I went in, and then forgot to get it before I checked out... i had waited in line so long that I was almost late to my appt so I couldn't go back to get it then. I thought I might could get it the next time I am up that way... but I wondered the same thing about it. Does it just bloom in spring or does it continue to bloom all summer? I am trying hard to add some things that have an extended bloom time, but I sure love that yellow bloom!

I even bought a pink double peony at Lowe's because I was intoxicated by the smell! My Mom used to have peonies when I was growing up and I had forgotten how good they smelled. I have one in my front bed but it gets smaller and smaller every year until now it is just a little twig... and it never blooms! I think I am going to plant this one in my foundation bed and see if it getting afternoon shade helps it do better. I don't know WHY that one is doing so poorly - but just thought I would try something different!

Hope everyone has a great day! Break is over ...better get at these piles on my desk!
Genna
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 18, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9087379

Karen, we cross posted but I don't have any of those things...was curious what "our house" is??
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9087396

It is a kind of homeless shelter for working families -she is doing work there thru her church - sorry I should have been more clear:)
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 18, 2012

Post #9087454

oh no, that is fine... I was sure it was some type of charity home, just wasn't familiar with the name and was curious...

By the way, anyone know a good source for penstemons? I did have the mexicalli red rocks for a couple of years, but I guess that really cold winter before last got it... would love to have it and several more of the penstemons... it was such a good bloomer for me!

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9087468

OK a small change to my request

They are actually interested in ANY plants they can get. Apparently they have several beds that are in need of plants so if you guys have anything to donate they would be appreciated.

Sorry Genna I can kill off a perfectly healthy penstemon in record time so I can't help you there:)
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 18, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9087493

sounds like me and agastache... I bought another one yesterday but said if I kill it as quickly that is IT for them! I can't even say the word...guess I don't really need to be trying to grow them! :)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9087517

Sorry Karen but I'm doing the same thing for our neighborhood. We have several beds that need redoing. We've spent so much money on the raised beds we're really going to very little we can spend on the beds. So I'm trying to figure out what I have that I can thin and use. My impatiens are coming back but they still very tiny and not sure how many I'm going to have.
Wish I could help - it's a very good cause.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9087925

I left my house at 6:30 am this morning and just got home!! Had a dr's appointment at 7 and then other things to do!! My leg is feeling better still. It was tight again this morning but hopefully it will continue to get better.

Elaine I have one of those compost bins. I bought mine at Sam's. I don't like it! I thought it was way too slow and hard to get compost out of it!! I just pile all my stuff in a fairly big pile and when I have vegetable and fruit scraps I just dig down into it with a shovel and bury. It's easy for me to just take a fork and stir it around. Not very scientific but it works for me!! I'm going to carry my actual compost bin I bought down to the garden plot and put behind my box. Might work better down there and at least I'll be using it.

Genna have you ever considered that the problem you had breathing last summer could have had something to do with all the rotten wood and stuff you were tearing out of Alex's house?? Lots of water had gotten in that house in lots of places!!! There was probably lots of mold and other stuff in it. Could cause breathing problems!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9087937

Forgot something! For those of you in central AR, I stopped by Mary's on Stagecoach in Bryant this afternoon and she had several different EE's - didn't buy any! I did buy some trailing impatiens! She had them in 3 shades of pink. They have big clusters of flowers sort of like a hydrangea (of course not that big). The other thing I bought was a Datura. I have a couple of small ones that overwintered but this was a nice big one with lots of buds it was 5.98. The impatiens were 2.99 each.
Also stopped by Wal Mart in Benton because I was looking for bright yellow petunias. I had seen them at the one in LR several weeks ago but didn't buy them and haven't seen them anywhere else. Didn't find the regular petunia but did find the yellow small supertunia. (Mary's also had them). But WalMart had gallon size hybrid tea roses for 9.97. Roses are my new fixation!! I bought two and I'm going to put them next to the concrete bench in the front yard. I'm expanding that side of the bed because I have a low spot and decided it would be easier to expand the bed than raise the spot and put in new sod!!!! Good excuse for more space in the bed!!!LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 18, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9087993

I am looking for a nice red rose for Jerry's Mom, I will give it to her for Mothers Day, that sounds like a good deal on the roses, I have to get some petunias for her pots too Sat.

Glad you are feeling better now, Charlotte. What do you need for your beds in the community plot, is it all veggies?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9088026

It's all veggies but Randy built some more beds. Nice l shape and if they don't all get taken I may get another one to do some flowers - things that need sun.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9088042

Forgot to say that the WalMart I went to did have red roses in the gallon size for 9.97

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 18, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9088102

Do you want my leftover cucumber seeds?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012

Post #9088133

Thanks Sandra I think I have enough cucumber. As a matter of fact I have no more room in my raised bed!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 18, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9088199

Already filled that bed up?? I bet it does great! Just hope you are able to give yourself a little time to recover some...

Sandra, how is Cayla's back?? I sure hope she is better. She has just been on my mind being pregnant and trying to deal with back issues!

Jeri, have ya'll gotten any more news on Ashley and her tests? It seems like this has been going on so long with her! Did it start when school started?? or was it last summer?? I have lost track...
Hope she is better and that they have finally gotten some answers!!

Cindy, guess you are busy planting and planting all those new plants! Don't overdo!

Cleaned another small area in my front bed today and put out some more mulch! I keep thinking I will eventually get it all done ... not sure!

Have a good night!
Genna
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9088349

I have been taking it slow. I got my Gingers planted in the ground and planted up three pots today. I've got about 4 more to do. It is still very wet here after raining Mon and Tues. I haven't gotten any of the trees planted or the 2 rose bushes I bought.
Genna the broom is not tropical and I think it blooms only in the spring. This is the first year it has bloomed for me.
Charlotte glad you are getting better. Kathy Ann I hope your foot is better. Sandra I take it all is ok with Cayla since you haven't said anything this week.
I guess y'all are getting excited about this weekend. Wish I could be there too.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9088503

I bought some gingers during the winter, and darned if their still not up yet, their in pots, I checked them the other day and their still dormant. I love gingers. their so tropical looking. foot is doing fantastic, got both shoes on today for work. no more wrap. woot woot!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9088524

Glad your foot is better. Need 2 good feet for nursery run. My Ginger that is in the ground is only about 8 inches. I think that is due to all the cool nights. Of course this week has been cool even in the daytime. It is only 53 right now.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9088655

WOW!!! Loving this weather!!!

I'm still hauling my ginger we bought last weekend, around the yard looking for the perfect spot!!!! My ginger in the yard is up and going strong. I have one tropical ginger that is just now sticking it's head above ground.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9088672

Gotta show Yall that know Mary(my niece). She has bite the dirt and now has a succulent planter going. I think we are getting to her. LOL!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9088745

Well, I was all caught up with getting my tomato and pepper plants in the ground, my pots planted, and everything fertilized. Then the Botanical Garden plant sale started last night...uh oh!

I am official 'behind' again. Bought a JM-Tamukeyama (which I will probably leave in the pot for a while until I decide exactly where to put it this fall), 2 varieties of heuchera, a couple more tomato plants to replace the 2 Sun Golds I lost, a peony, a 'Bama Bound' DL, some coleus to fill in a couple of planters, and a few other small things. I could have bought a lot more believe me! I will be on a business trip next week from Sunday thru Friday or I definitely would have bought more. It is tempting to go back today...I can't resist good plants!

It has been rainy and wet here all week but today is supposed to be nice outside and around 80 so I will be outside after work planting some of this stuff and checking on my garden. I hope some of my cuke and squash seed have sprouted! I also need to spray today to stay on my spraying schedule. And there are a bazillion other things I could do (like weed some more) but probably not time to do it all.

Nice planter, Jeri! Mary must be hooked!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 19, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9088749

It took long enough, Mary has your garden to look at so why bother?? I knew she secretly loved plants all along !!!!!

Cayla is doing better, she still has some pain withher back, but it is getting better. When she went to the doc this week, he told her Eli is 4 pounds now. She is now 31 weeks, he told her Eli was weighing a week ahead, but did not change her due date.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9088944

Yea!!! I thought it would surely do it when we 1st came to Tupelo and Sandra told her to go stand on the other side of the parking lot if she didn't like plants!!! LOL!!! She's slow!!! It only took 6 years!!!! Ask Cindy & Mary D. Mary is even learning the names of some!!!

I'm glad to hear that both Cayla & Eli are doing better.

Glad you got such great deals Elaine!!! That is always my down fall when there are such great plants at the sales!!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 19, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9089165

That sounds just like something that crazy Sandra would do--doesn't it?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9089268

Glad Cayla is doing better. My leg is feeling almost normal. They are going to be filling the new raised beds with dirt tonight. These they are going to have to use a wheelbarrow and shovel. I do have the good sense not to do that!!!! Sure don't want to do anything to interfere with my plant shopping tomorrow!!

Jeri like Sandra said why does Mary need to do any gardening when she has your beautiful garden to look at!!! Too funny about her little succulent pot!! She may really get the bug!

Elaine that my problem too! When I see a great plant at a good price I just can't turn it down - whether I need it or not!!

I'm sure I'll come home tomorrow with a lot of stuff I like but don't necessarily need!!! Sorry I want get to see those of you that are only going to Rita's. Wish I could go to Rita's too but since I'm going to Natchez on the 1st of May don't need to spread myself too thin!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 19, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9089432

Charlotte, I thought you were coming to Rita's Sat, sorry to miss out on seeing you. Terrye asked me today if I wanted to go to Memphis tomorrow, but I have to go with Jerry so, that ended that.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9089453

Sorry to miss seeing you all too! The things I'm looking for are at Homestead is why I chose to go on Fri. since I can't go on both days. I don't need anymore tropical stuff!! I'm trying to get perennial things in my really big pots and just add a few things for color. With this weird mild winter I even had asparagus fern come back that was in a big pot with a hosta and some other stuff!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9089495

I was going to tell you all what type of boards we used for the raised beds - I temporarily misplaced it and just found it again. So before I lose it again here it is.

It is called WeatherShield Premium Wood Products. It says it is building code compliant with a lifetime limited warranty. It is pressure treated using micronized copper azole compounds. It says it is certified environmentally preferable. Whatever all that mean!! LOL It is the color of regular pine wood but when you get water on it it beads up.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9090006

DG still having problems posting pictures? I just lost 5 pictures.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9090122

I gave up, Jeri, so I don't know. Contact Admin and see what they say.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
3:28 AM

Post #9091194

I see we've all been on plant buying/planting sprees.

Went to Old Columbus Herb Nursery earlier in the month bought 3 more salvias since ones I already had,did very well in last summers heat. No tags in them...one was white blooming other 2 might be Wild Watermelon and Maraschino Cherry,as well as artemesia "Limelight"(I know it's rep but I have big yard and big beds so ramble on lil wormwood),some more herbs and a Candy Corn vine to replace the one that died on me last year...turned around and order on-line: Salvia aurea 24Kt.Gold(wanted a gold one for a while now),s.buchannii/Velvet sage,S.greggii,cv/Teresa's Texas Sage(pink),s.greggii,cv/Vareigated Autumn Sage,s.muelleri/Royal Purple Sage,s.greggii(syn.s.x jamensis)Calif. Sunset sage...yellow lavender,golden rosemary and that diantus,"Chomley Faran" I had been looking for so long.

Peggy

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 21, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9092284

Peggy, that 24 karat sound interesting, where did you order it from ?

Girls, I asked Terry about the pictures today and she said you have to resize them before sending now, it will still resize while uploading, but she said it does not cut them down enough.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9092467

Mountain Valley Growers

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9092637

I guess I'll be posting pictures then on one of the other sites. Why would they mess that up?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 22, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9092647

Send Terry a d-mail, Jeri--I might not be explaining it exactly right, but she thinks it is something to do with the size of the file.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9092667

I'm sure you explained it right. Probably since they are offering multiple uploads at once. My problem is not only do I not know how to re-size I barely have time to post the picture. I wonder if we only post one at a time would it require us to resize.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9092672

Hey I just posted one without re-sizing. I previewed it and then hit send.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9092707

I'm like you Jeri! I know how to resize but I have to take an extra step to make sure I still have the original photo. I'm not going to do that as I just don't have time to keep two sets of files. I guess the solution if we want to post pictures is to just do it one at a time.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9095113

i came home after work tonight and got on the tractor and dug out all the weeds and grass for a couple of new beds. i'm going to have to build these by myself, nobody else around here seems to think I need any more beds. I have about 45 new iris coming in on trades in a week. (peggy) being one of them ;0) I have no place for them. so I moved my swing tonight to another part of the back yard and will build a bed with the rocks I have outback in this area, and down the side of the drive way where I get lot of sun, I'll build a narrow bed for the iris. They may not all fit in there but I'll try my best to fit them in . . Then i better behave myself for a while. and NO complaining about not being able to keep upwith it. i won't be working the rest of my life, hopefully. Ihave buried myself under at work and won't be able to quit for a while cause I like it ha. I guess it could be worse.

anyways, here's my future garden spots, I'll be hauling rocks tomorrow evening and all other evenings, since it will be quite a while before I can go back walking again. Wore my tennis shoes to work today, and had to take them off around 2 and switch to flip flops. My ankle was really bothering me and swollen again.

i didn't get all the weeds out by the side of the house. But i'llg et the rest with a hoe.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9095137

And you think lifting and hauling rock will not be bad for your ankle?????!!!!!! LOL That will be a great place for an iris bed.

I worked in the yard all yesterday afternoon and got my front yard finished. So at least something looks put together!!! I increased the front bed by moving it over further in the area where the concrete bench is. I planted a couple of roses and a peony I moved from the back yard. I put newspaper down and then covered it with a lot of rotten pine needles and dirt out of the compost pile. I don't think I'm actually going to plant anything in it until fall. For now I had a lot of things in pots that need sun and I've put those in the area. I'll probably need to add more dirt but didn't figure I needed to be doing a lot of heavy digging or lifting a lot of 40 lb bags until I get my back/leg totally well or at least better than it is now. It is really feeling fine now but I still have some tightness in my leg. Mainly noticeable at night.

I did get most of my pots done in the back. I've really got to get some order back there!!! I have lots of stuff in pots that needs to go in the ground. I also have some stuff I need to move around. It may be fall before I get it all done!! The ivy is getting really bad around the fence. The only way to get rid of it is pull!!! But I've got to get it out before it gets in my beds too bad. I guess gardening keeps us out of other trouble!!! LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9095146

No way, lifting and hauling isn't bad for me at all. my tractor will do the most part, all i'll have to do is roll the rocks into the bucket. i can even move the big pile of rocks around to make it easier on me to load them, piece of cake lol We all know a gardener's work is never done. Danny just got home , he asked what did I do with the swing lol

I dind't know you had leg problems too. what's going on with your leg? You may not think it but your back yard is beautiful! and so is the front yard.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9095162

I lifted 45, 40 lb bags of peat humus and manure all in one afternoon and then raked it in. Then I edged all around the front beds and driveway with a manual edger using the left leg for all of it. A few days later I had such sharp pains running through my left leg when I got up that I couldn't stand up straight. Was that way for most of a week. No fun!!! I pinched a nerve - it's much better now. I've been going to a chiropractor for the last week and a half. He says just don't lift a bunch of 40lb bags until he get it better!!

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9095284

lol, told y;ou a gardener's work is never done. hope you feel better soon.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
2:34 AM

Post #9095457

My DGD's coming tomorrow to get some plants from the yard so I can do some shuffling and re-arranging for more irises and other plants on the way. I may have to creep over onto neighbor's yard for more beds...LOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 24, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9095938

Gosh, ya'll stay busy!!

I took the day off last Friday and worked in my front bed for almost 6 hours in the off and on rain! I STILL did not get thru but I did make a major dent in it. Everything else is getting out of control in the meantime though... I really thought I would finish but not so lucky!

Helped decorate from prom friday night and had to clean house (yuck!) because Jessica's date was spending the night at our house. It was a late night friday night, and then we were back up at 6 to get ready to go to Arkadelphia for pre-registration at OBU. Then rushed back for hair appt, photos and prom that evening. Didn't get to take many pictures because we were really short on time. Jessi went with a friend of Kyle's and he was SUPER nice guy who went above and beyond to make sure Jessica had a fun evening! I know most of you have seen the pics on FB, but here are a couple...

Thumbnail by gen2026

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 26, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9098545

Well, lost my other post and gave up on trying again!

Does anyone happen to be familiar with this plant: BELAMCANDA FLAVA 'HELLO YELLOW' I was thinking about ordering it, but it isn't in the plant files and I wanted to make sure that it wasn't invasive or something before I ordered it... anyone have any info on it??
Thanks
Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9098673

Don't know anything about it. Why don't you do a google search. I don't always find the plants I'm looking for in DG files.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9098829

Over the weekend I got some things done - redid a bed on the west side of the house that just doesn't seem to be doing well. I am having trouble figuring out if I should plant sun or shade stuff in it. UGH!!!

Also went to the Saline County MG Plant Sale - I only picked up about 10 things for myself but I bought another 30 or so pots for the Our House Shelter then yesterday morning I dropped off all those plants plus some clearance stuff from Lowes plus some things I needed to get out of my own beds. So I ended up with about 60 pots of stuff plus about 75 iris rhizomes and some daylilies. They seemed excited to get them but maybe a little surprised at the number of plants:) I kinda had a moment of panic since they all admitted to not knowing a lot about flowers (they apparently grow a lot of veggies) - it kinda felt like leaving your babies with a stranger. But it felt good to give them to someone who could really use them. If you guys ever need to unload some excess plants I'm sure they'd love to get anything you have to give and they will give you a tax deduction form for the worth of the plants so that is a double good deal:)

I'm hoping to get to go to the Garland county MG sale on Saturday - I don't NEED to go but I sure WANT to...ahhhhh the joys of spring:)

Here's a picture of my east side bed which was just put in in 2010 - it has really grown this spring!

Thumbnail by kjuddy

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 26, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9099202

That bed looks great, Karen, maybe the people will take good care of your babies there !

Genna, that is a " candy lily" or " blackberry lily " in yellow, it is not invasive, but it will reseed itself., they have iris like foliage and are easy to pull up if they do get out of control.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 27, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9099730

Made it to Chicago okay. We are headed out to the first nursey this morning. And I still don't have everything out from the other day in Jackson!
Terrye

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9099747

Enjoy your visit Terrye and buy lots of pretty things!!!

It seems I always have something in a pot that needs to be put in the ground!
My goal for this weekend is to get everything in the ground and my backyard cleaned up!!! I have so many things that go in for the winter that it is a real chore to get them all placed and put in the ground or repotted (a lot I put in the ground and dig up for the winter).

I'm going to an MG conference in Natchez Tues with my friend Judy. Really looking forward to it. We're going to do whatever we want to do whenever we want to do it - making no commitments in advance! Judy and I have been friends for over 35 years and have traveled together a lot and we always have a great time together!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2012

Post #9099799

Charlotte this is the river boat cruise info: http://www.mississippirivercruises.com/river_cruises.cfm?source=google&u=n

This is the itinerary for a cruise from Memphis to New Orleans.

Springtime on the River 2012 (Memphis to New Orleans)

FASTDEAL #T41465

8 days, departing May 15, 2012 with Great American Steamboat Company on the American Queen
Land/cruise price*: SOLD OUT

Book this River Cruise Now and Save!

Receive free onboard credits of $150 to $200 per stateroom on all sailings.
Enjoy free shore excursions on every sailing.
Receive one free pre- or post-cruise hotel night plus transfers before or after your voyage on 2012 sailings.
Save 5% when you book two back to back cruises.
Offers are subject to change or withdrawal at any time, and availability is limited. Some discounts are not combinable with other promotions.

River Cruise Itinerary
Day 1: Memphis
Embark in America’s third largest inland port, famous for blues, barbeque and Elvis’ Graceland—attractions you’ll want to explore.

Day 2: Helena
Let gospel voices lift your heart, hear soulful Delta blues, and sample King biscuits and sausage during an eventful day.

Day 3: Vicksburg
Discover a unique blend of old and new in Vicksburg, Mississippi. Take in the diversity from Vicksburg National Military Park to the Waterways Experiment Station. Billed as the “Red Carpet City of the South,” Southern hospitality is alive and well and awaiting your arrival.

Day 4: Natchez
Step into the plantation lifestyle of the antebellum south in Natchez, site of numerous restored mansions. Explore the Grand Village of the Natchez Indians, visit historic Jefferson College, or just amble down the Natchez Trace.

Day 5: St. Francisville
This quaint town located on the bluffs of the Mississippi River is your window to the past. With over 140 buildings on the National Register, beautiful plantation homes nestled in the rolling countryside, and bustling Main Street shops, you’ll find plenty to keep you on the go in St. Francisville.

Day 6: Baton Rouge
The capital of Louisiana, Baton Rouge is the center of all the great things the state has to offer—visitors delight in the seamless blend of past and present experiencing authentic Louisiana at every turn. With its semi-tropical climate, the outdoors is tempting and the attractions abound. No wonder this is one of the south’s fastest growing cities.

Day 7: Vacherie (Oak Alley)
Located in the Saint James Parish, the name of this bayou town derives from the French for dairy farm. It’s pronounced VASH-uh-ree. It’s the site of Oak Alley, a much-photographed plantation that combines architectural splendor and the natural wonder of its canopy of 300-yearold oak trees.

Day 8: New Orleans
Tie up in New Orleans near historic Jackson Square and bid your ship adieu. But give in to the temptation to hang around and explore.
All This Included
Complimentary bottled water and soft drinks.
Complimentary wines and beers with dinner.
An array of sumptuous dining options including regional cuisine by famed American Chef Regina Charboneau.
Captain’s Champagne Welcome Reception and Gala Dinner.
Hot and cold canapes at cocktail hour every evening.
Accommodations on this Tour
Cruising: Inside cabin onboard the American Queen
Notes
Cabin upgrades are available.
Single occupancy cabins are available.
Port Taxes of $39 to $119 per person are additional and not included in the prices shown above.
Please ask your Vacations To Go travel counselor for more information.
Terms and Conditions
* The prices shown are U.S. dollars per person, based on double occupancy, and subject to availability. Prices quoted for land/cruise arrangements are subject to increase without notice. Once we have received your deposit, land/cruise prices are guaranteed. Air prices quoted via phone or email are subject to increase and are guaranteed only from the time that full payment is received. Also, air prices or air promotions mentioned on this site or on the phone do not include baggage fees imposed by airlines. Sorry, we are unable to offer air from countries other than the U.S. However, for those international customers who are able to arrange their own transportation to the trip origination city, we are able to offer the land/cruise portion of the package at the price quoted.

1-800-510-4002 OR Click to inquire about a
river cruise via e-mail

Open Mon-Fri 7am to 10pm, Sat 8am-8pm, Sun 9am to 8pm, CST

Sounds like fun to me!!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 27, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9099837

Sounds like so much fun, but I am sure it will be at least 2 years before I can go, if my health will let me I plan on keeping Eli when Cayla goes back to work. I hope to keep him for at least his first year, and maybe another.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9099859

The trip does sound like fun!!

Sandra I think that it is wonderful that your going to keep Eli. It's so much better if a family member can keep them when they are that age. I started to work when Jeff was about a year old. I have always felt so fortunate that my mother and my MIL kept Jeff. I always knew he was being well taken care of!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2012
12:38 AM

Post #9100802

Genna I grew the yellow candy lily from seed but don't have it anymore. I had one left after the flood I was babying along to give to Kenny but lost it last summer. I don't see it coming up. It is pretty hardy under normal conditions. I found it a little difficult to propagate from seed.

Glad to see that everyone is enjoying plant sales and the nice weather. I did some potting this week but not much in the yard. We did some major cleanup around here this week. We tore down the greenhouse, hauled off hundreds of nursery pots, and cleaned out one storage area. It sure looks better.

I need you all to pray for my BIL Benny.( my husband's sister's hubby.) He had a major heart attack today. He is in a medically induced coma, on a ventilator, and on a heart pump. The doctors were able to get a stent in to open up the valve some but said there was definitely damage done to the heart. He said time would tell (hr by hr) if he will pull through this or not. The heart is very weak and his pressure is low. They put him out because he was fighting the ventilator tube although he is breathing around it on his own. I don't really know how old he is but somewhere around 65. Other than discovering he is a diabetic this last year he has been in good physical health.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2012
1:12 AM

Post #9100810

Sandra I would love to do that trip down the river. The Delta Queen used to tour down the river in front of my house. It was wonderful to see that beautiful old paddle wheel boat and to hear the kaliope music.
http://youtu.be/FdD0LYHv2N4
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 28, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9100868

Cindy, I'm so sorry to hear about your BIL. Hope everything goes well.
Terrye

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9100995

Cindy I'm so sorry to hear about your BIL!!! I will certainly be praying for him!

One of the things on my over whelming list is clearing out the area I keep nursery pots and a lot of other supplies!! I bought one of those pop up greenhouses from Sam's and plan to put it in that area if I can ever get the space cleared out. The area is hidden and it's been the catch all for anything I didn't know what to do with. I even have an old dog house back there!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 28, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9101241

Thanks for that info Cindy. If it is hardy, I might give it a try, but I have to pare down my order list some!! Been trying to decide which things I really want to try.

Y'all b carefully cleaning out those old pots... At my house the blk widows live those things! I was so excited last Friday when I worked in my bed cleaning and putting out mulch and only saw one black widow... I must at least b making a dent in the population! I have killed as many as 15 in one day!!

Please excuse my typing, I am doing this on my phone which is difficult for me . But I am working at Alex's today and have a question about Bradford pears...he seems to have little bushes growing everywhere that I am pretty sure is coming from the roots of his BP??? Do they do this? I don't have one but I was shocked that something so popular had suckers everywhere!!

Also, this was something in his front bed, but it was completely cut down when we bought the house...does anyone recognize what it might be? Didn't know whether to dig it up or leave it... I am going to attempt to load a picture... Never mind... It won't let me load a pic from my Phone so I will have to do that later...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 28, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9101243

Cindy, I am sorry too, which sister is it? The one that lives in Memphis?

Jeri commented on the other thread she wants to go too, so let's plan it for the summer of 2014, if we are still alive and Jesus does not come to get us before then! What fun all of us would have on an eight to 10 day trip together and it seems to be something everyone is interested in.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9101268

Hi all. I have been awol since returning from Memphis. I was diagnosed with Diabetes on Thursday. Plus other blood difficulties...I have too little of lots of things! However, my cholesterol is perfect ;o)) I have not had ANY symptoms of anything but I had a check-up a few weeks ago and I have fallen apart since ;o) Fasting blood sugar was 303. For the nurses and others that know about diabetes, my hgb a1c was 13!! What a wonderful b-day present :o( I am slowly planting the stuff from our trip but I have been sent from one place to another since Monday but I cannot do much until my FBS is below 200. It was 225 this morning...slowly coming down.

Cindy, I am so sorry about your BIL. I will keep the family in my prayers!

Trip? What trip? Oh who cares, I am always ready for a trip. 2014? I better start saving ;o)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9101423

Sandra, you will have so much fun with Eli. I'm glad you get to take care of him.

Cindy, so sorry to hear about your brother in law. hope he pulls through this ok.

Good grief Kim!! i hate to hear that you have diabetes, do you have to do the insolin shots? I'm surprised you didn't have any kind of symptoms. i hope all your blood difficulties aren't that bad. Is it heredity ?
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9101535

thank you all for the prayers. He is about the same. I haven't talk to them since morning. No Sandra it is one of his younger sisters that live here.

Kim happy Birthday and I am so sorry to hear about your health problems. Hopefully you will be able to control it with diet and pills.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 28, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9101549

Kim, I can sympathize with the diabetes, but as far as I know, mine has only been 279 and that was not a fasting. Mime showed up borderline on regular blood work a few times and my doc started watching it, he knew it ran in our family. It is hard to believe your cholesterol was perfect as diabetes and cholesterol go hand in hand. What did they put you on? I am so sorry, but I know you will do great and get it under control, soon.
I was told anytime your BS is over 200 it is doing damage to your organs, so I am very glad you are aware of it now.

Cindy, at least you are close to the hospital and can check on them.

Kim, the trip is to ride a steamboat on the MS river, Memphis got a new steamer into their port the other day and they are starting up with cruises again, there hasn't been one in operation in a while anywhere close. Not sure which trip yet, but we will get all the details together. I want to ride from Memphis to New Orleans.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 28, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9101692

Cayla's baby shower was today, she got some great gifts and everything was so pretty, the girls that gave it really went all out

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 28, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9101694

Cayla and her best friend through High School, Lindsay

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 28, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9101704

I even drank a preggatine !

Thumbnail by slcdms   Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 28, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9101708

The baby shower--so cute

Thumbnail by slcdms

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9101737

Oh my!!! Everyone is busy today!!!!

Happy BD Kim!!!! I hope you had a nice day even with the news of diabetes. I guess we need to invest in sugar free!!! Sure sorry to hear it but I know you will have it all under stride before long!!!! Sandra has been explaining it to me for years.

Cindy I'm sorry to hear about your BIL!!!! I will remember his family in my prayers!!!!

Terrye are you having fun in Chicago or back home hitting the grind stone.

Sandra the shower looks so cute!!! Cayla looks good. Is she feeling better?
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9101763

Happy Birthday Kim sorry to hear about your diagnosis when my DH was diagnosed his blood sugar was 571. He however had diabetic ketoacidosis. Glad you weren't having any symptoms yet but 303 is still pretty high - I'm sure you'll soon be feeling much better.

Cindy praying for you BIL and looks like a great shower Sandra!

I went to the Garland County MG plant sale today - picked up a LOT of sun coleus and a Stoke's Aster. Tomorrow will be planting/mulching day for me since I played today.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9101770

Kim that was NOT a good birthday present!! The good thing is they did discover it and you can get on your way to getting it under control!

That was a really cute shower Sandra. They did really go all out. Little Eli has really grown since the last picture I saw of Cayla!

I worked in the yard a lot of the day. Kim I don't have all my stuff in the ground from last week either! This afternoon I realized I needed to finish trimming anything that needs trimming or it's going to be too late. Still have the carolina jasmine on the arbor to do.

Genna people went crazy planting Bradford Pear trees years ago. Now that they have gotten mature they are realizing that while they are a really pretty tree there are also a lot of negatives. The main problem is they break very easy. The tree itself is not strong and when it gets big and gets lots of leaves just the weight of it will cause it to break and split. My neighbor a couple of houses up the street planted one when his wife died. A few years ago it started splitting right down the middle. Because it was sentimental to him he hired a tree service to try and save the tree. They cut it way back and then pulled it together and bound it with something. It grew back together. One street over from me the same thing happened to a big tree and it had to be taken down. It split all the way to the ground.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9102019

Thank you all for the care and concern and for the b-day wishes! I am a very big rut person! I like to do the same everyday and eat almost the same everyday. When I went to the supermarket, I cried. I know I do not have to give up anything but I can only have a little every once in a while. But it is still awful! I know this time next year, I will be used to it and how I can eat, etc. and will probably laugh at how easy this "diet" has become...I hope! I still had a little angel food cake, strawberries and cool whip at my b-day dinner...it was delicious! They put me on Metformin twice a day...just pills, no shots! A couple more tests on Monday and then I will go see a nutritionist and for diabetic teaching. Then return to see the doctor in 2 weeks.

Sandra, looks like all had a good time at the shower. Cayla looks beautiful!

oooh, Karen, if I would have known they had lots of coleus, I would have gone with you! 571? Holy Cow! No DKA here, thank goodness! Just really sweet! hahaha

Can you see all of us on a boat together...the crew will be amazed...and slightly scared! LOL
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 29, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9102275

Kim, so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Being a nurse will help since you know more about it, but knowing it and living it are two different things. Thinking of you...

Sandra, cayla's shower looks lovely. I know she (and you) are so excited.

I'm still in Chicago. We have gone to three big nurseries so far, but I've been good; a few clematis, hanging pots and garden art is all I've bought. I got my sister to make pictures of the 11 acre under one roof nursery so i could show it to you guys but when we got back to the house so I could upload them, we found out they were all videos! She was upset. She was using someone else's phone she wasn't use to. So, no pics.

I decided to stay an extra day. I'm pretty tired. I'll rest today and come home tomorrow.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 29, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9102299

Kim, so sorry to hear about your diagnosis! I hope that you are able to get that under control quickly... and as a nurse you might know this but for some reason they fail to tell a lot of diabetics that they need to regular heart exams after becoming a diabetic. A lot of diabetics have heart attacks or major heart issues going on and don't even know it until major damage has occurred because the nerves around the heart tissue have been damaged due to the diabetics. My brother went in for routine check because of our family history and had 4 by passes... my Mom had a major heart attack and didn't even KNOW it!
Not trying to scare you, just something you need to be aware of and monitor accordingly... you would think doctors would warn you about it, but I have literally talked to hundreds of diabetics who have never been told that! And Kim, you are probably right... it is just your sweetness overflowing!^_^ hope it is under control soon!

Cindy, I am so sorry to hear about your BIL. Hope he is improving! I have a friend whose wife was about 44 or so when she had a heart attack - her kids happened to be home with her, but by the time the paramedics and her husband got there she was not breathing and turning purple. They took her to the local hospital where they managed to get her breathing and air lifted her to LR Baptist. They used a new procedure on her and chilled her body... supposedly the theory is that the body doesn't have to work as hard to heal itself because the outer extremities are not using energy. She is fine now! But it was a radical new procedure...pretty scary for the family. Those of you who live in Arkansas have probably seen her and her oldest son on the Baptist health commercial where he says "they saved my Mom"... they are the first shot in the commercial. All that said to say that with him being in the induced coma and not fighting them it might allow his body a chance to recover better - we will be praying for him and the family!!

Sandra, I agree that baby has grown since we last saw a photo! :) The shower looks wonderful! Hope she got everything she needed for when the baby arrives! He is due in late May?

Charlotte, I didn't know that about the Bradford Pears splitting... do they normally send up suckers like this all over the yard? I can't imagine people wanting to deal with that all the time! It reminds me of his cane! Anyone have any suggestions on dealing with those things and will they do that all summer??

I bet the crew would be scared if we all went on a trip together! What a blast... but do you think they would let us bring plants back on the boat from each stop along the way??

Hope everyone has a blessed day! I better get busy...

Genna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9102313

I brought plumeria cuttings I found while in Hawaii onto our cruise ship and the captain was standing at the gangplank greeting us as we entered the ship. Of course, when we went though customs they were tucked inside my suitcase.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 29, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9102386

Genna, I am laughing just thinking about what that steamboat would look like if we all bought plants like we usually do---it would be ready for the Rose Bowl Parade !!

Cayla is due June 20, so the doc says. He told her 2 weeks ago Tues that he weighs 4 pounds and is a week ahead. She will go this Tues, as he has her coming every two weeks now.

Kim, you will get that BS reading down, it will not take long and you will start to feel better. Most people don't have any symptoms with BS, so it is really high when it first gets detected. I do, I know when mine is too high, I break out in a sweat and can't keep my eyes open, I usually have to sleep it off-lol, when it is too low, I start trembling in my legs and if I don't eat, it will go over my whole body, very intense quivering even on the inside. My doctor also told me that people that do feel symptoms can't tell low from high without checking it, they just know it is extreme. Either one of these episodes can make for a bad day, it takes a few hours to recover from low or high. My Mamma fussed at me all time for not eating by the clock, it is much better for diabetics to eat regular meals and snacks, but I hate living my life by the clock, especially now that I don't work. By the time we go on our trip, you will be the same old Kim again, hang in there !!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9102580

Kim were you feeling bad or just went for a BD check up? Mine was the BD check up and now I have something else to keep check on.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9102712

Genna don't know about the suckers. But I do know that if you have a mature yard there is always something you are fighting! I'm trying to get mine finished up. I constantly fight ivy, 2 kinds of vines that are weeds that get in my shrubbery and will choke it out if you don't get the mess out. I also have the major vinca that was here when I moved in and I have pulled that stuff up every year since and still have it. It's pretty but just not something i want. Now creeping jenny has showed up from somewhere! I put huges piles of stuff out on the street 4 weeks in a row where I cut back bushes, azaleas, etc. This week I've already filled up 4 garbage cans and a drum size plastic bag. I have way more than that ivy and major vinca that going to have to be pulled up one of these days! No one would believe all that has come out of my yard if they were to look at it! I forgot the red bud trees, oak trees, some kind of tree that I don't know what it is. I even have volunteer fern!

We don't really have a history of diabetes in my family thank goodness. My dad was diagnosed as a borderline diabetic several years before he died. He amazed me. He talked to a dietician and followed the diet she gave him. He gave up his candy and deserts and would always eat a piece of fruit after his meal instead. He was able to keep it under control with his diet - never took any meds.

Back out to the salt mines!! I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get through!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 29, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9102727

It is very dry here, I am going to have to water the new things tomorrow, I hate to have to start watering this early in the season.
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 29, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9102733

It is HOT outside today! We have been out taking some photos, and I have a birthday party to attend for a long time family friend who is celebrating her 85th birthday. Then back home to take some photos in town that Jessica wants. She is trying to get some more shots for her collage that she wants to mail out with her announcements. And needless to say they have GOT to go out! :)

Charlotte, sometimes when I look at Alex's yard I think that the people who lived their in the past must have planted every invasive thing they (or the neighbors) could find! ^_^ He has ivy everywhere! Will roundup kill it?? I have been saying I was going to spray it but I haven't gotten it done! One thing at a time. Yesterday I put out some of that weed killer like we used in part of our back yard. It is by bayer, and we were pleased with what it killed in the yard - we just need about a 55 gallon drum of it to do the rest of our yard! :) I hope it kills out Alex's weeds so maybe his grass and grow... his yard wouldn't look bad and wouldn't have to be mowed very often if we are successful - assuming the suckers from the bradford slack up some after spring!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9102877

Don't know Genna. I don't use Roundup or any weed killer in my yard. My back yard is just one big flower bed and I don't want to kill anything. I do it the old fashion way. I pull what I don't want up by hand!!! I like the ivy on the chain link fence. It's been trained up the fence and covers it but also escapes into the bed. What gets in the beds I just pull up. The ground is soft and it comes up easy. Just takes time to do it. I didn't pull a lot last year so I've got my work cut out for me this year. It gets under my azalea bushes and I don't like it to get too thick there because I think it's not good for the azalea roots. The major vinca is easy to pull up too - just takes time. It clumps rather than running like the minor vinca does. So pulling up one big clump get a bunch. Just have bunch to do.

I can at least see the stone coming into the back yard! What a mess. Now working on getting everything cleared of the patio area and cleaned up. Also cleaned the filter on the koi pond today.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9102999

Jeri, I have not felt bad for one second! I went for yearly physical and that is where it was spotted...I was stunned when they told me! My FBS this morning was 191!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9103089

I go every year too for a check up. I figure it's my BD present to myself!!!! Kim, I am very glad that you did too and they found this before it became a problem. You are also very active and that will work in your favor. We can all deal with anything as long as we face it head on. Ask Mary!!! She has proven to be way stronger than the average bear and I can certainly attest to the fact that she did it with grace and character.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9103111

I have a check up every 6 months. They do blood work once a year at my GP. Think we should all be having a yearly check up. Best to catch things as soon as possible. With my thyroid problem I've been having blood work for it every few months. My parathyroid gland does not work like it should so I have to take mega dosages of calcium and vit d. He said it may start working better in a year or so but then again it may not.

Kim like Jeri said the fact that you are so active and being a nurse you know how to do what you need to do to get it under control. May not be exactly what you want to eat but we just have to do what we have to do! Keeping ourselves healthy should be top on our list!

Mary has proved to be stronger than the average bear!!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9103165

Hey Girls!

I've been keeping up for the most part, but haven't had time to post.

Kim, I'm sorry about your diagnosis, but it sounds like your on your way to keeping it under control. Is it insulin-dependent or Type-2 at this point?

Sandra, enjoyed the pictures of Cayla's shower. She looks great! I know you're all getting excited!

Genna, I saw the pics of Jessica and her prom! I know she was excited! You must be in the home stretch with the wedding too with lots to do.

Being out of town all last week, I'm behind, as usual. My sister-in-law was in town this weekend visiting her daughter, my niece, for the weekend. We went to the arts festivall yesterday and had dinner together, so I didn't get anything done, but I was too tired and jet-lagged anyway.

Today, I had lots to do. Planted 6 new DL's, a couple of replacement echinaceas, and some iceplant that will replace the pansies when they die back. I also tackled a weedy bed near the garden that I let get bad last year. It's still not finished but it was too hot to work all day and I needed to get groceries this afternoon anyway. I ended up spraying brush killer on part of it to kill the poison ivy that grew up and some of the brush. I finally decided to take a 'scorched earth' approach with part of it. When it dies, I'll clean it out. I got a new compost bin and put it on one end, so I need to keep it weed-free there. I'm not going to put anything else in this area for a while. I already have some azaleas, an acuba, hosta, and a few nandinas on one end that have done great but the weeds were about to take them over last year after we had a few trees cut. There is also a woodland bed where I had planted some ferns that needs to be weeded. I don't know when I'll get to that one. The ferns looks really pretty this year too.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9103838

Hi everybody. I just found this terrific website for Alabama and thought you might want to check your state and see if there is something similar. It is basically a Plant Atlas and you can pick your county. Love it!! Snoop around and see if there is one available for your state and let me know. Surely there is!!

http://www.floraofalabama.org/Default.aspx
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9108227

May is here! Time for a new thread...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255866/

Come on over!

This message was edited May 3, 2012 7:58 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America