Photo by Melody

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Geranium o.......?

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 8, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9069249

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find species name so I can list seeds to trade. Went back to website I bought seed on and he no longer has it list. G.oxecell...?

Thumbnail by bigred
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9069253

Sorry about the blurry picture...my zoom quit working on camera.
OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9070662

There is a Geranium ocellatum, an annual from Africa, China and everywhere in between. It looks like your flower.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9071968

Thanks,that does look like the spelling...I'll google it to sure...Thanks again
atisch
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9323351

bigred,

I'm sorry that I only now just saw this post. Please let me know if this is the same flower you posted about? I posted it last year as an unknown cranesbill that grows as a weed in my garden. G. ocellatum was suggested as one possibility. It's a small flower on a rangey plant that grows as a perennial, or at least a biennial, in my area.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2012 1:01 AM

Thumbnail by atisch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2012
2:25 AM

Post #9323360

Yes,that's it's correct name...you probably have the one called Stinking Robert/Bob. Can't think of it's botanical name at the moment. Just up,not enough coffee to kick start the brain yet.Small flower,pale pink flowers,dissected foliage that turn burgundy in the fall?
atisch
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9325420

Thanks,
Fall arrives fairly late in my area, but I'll keep my eyes out and try to remember to report about the color they change to. I seem to recall that they do turn deep red.

The plant flowers heaviest in late spring and then sporadically throughout the summer and early fall. The most outstanding features of the flowers is the almost black centers and the bright green of the sepals (?) that usually show between the petals. It seeds itself readily.

Allan
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2012
2:36 AM

Post #9325798

sounds like the stinking robert that comes up in my yard...but only a pale pink w/ veining...I think I have a picture but may take a while to find.
wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

December 13, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9727399

The latin name is Geranium robertianum. Herb Robert is another common name. It is considered to be an invasive, or at least a serious pest. I think it is adorable, but only because I saw it in someone else's garden!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America