Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Herbs: Mints to Trade - Anyone Interested?

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 2, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9069412

I have lots of mints, most are too young to divide yet. But I'm looking to add others. Some that I know I can divide are:

Blackberry Mint
Spice Mint
Silver Mint
Mystery Mint - lost tag and hope someone can reID it for me
Lemon Balm
Bronze Fennel (small babies, but hardy, and perennial for me in zone 7)

The mints and Lemon Balm will be nice sized divisions. Nothing will be just a tiny sprig.

In trade I'm looking for good sized divisions, not newly rooted cuttings or sprigs. It's already close to 90 degrees here and will soon be 100 so I need something mature to survive--at least a nice FULL 4" potful. (Doesn't have to be potted, but would completely fill the pot if it were. Most of my divisions will be more than this. The smallest division will be about a 4" potful)

If you're interested in trading with me, let me know what you have. I'm also interested in unusual oreganos as well. Common stuff I can get cheap locally, so I want something I'd have to mail order.

I might consider other perennial unusual herbs, so let me know what you have. I won't bother with trading just one plant. It's just more hassle than it's worth, so let's see if we can trade at least three plants.

I do have perennials as well, and we can discuss that too if you're interested.

NancyAnn

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 7:47 AM

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9069427

Some of the mints I already have, just so you know, are:

Orange
Chocolate
Jim's Candy Lemon Lime
Brittany's Patty Mint
Lavender
Spearmint
Coco
Ginger

NONE of these are ready to divide yet.

I've had Apple mint and wasn't impressed with it. Kentucky Colonel and Peppermint I can get locally.

Would love to have Banana mint and Pineapple mint as well as others. For some reason, the pineapple mint always dies on me. But I usually get just a very small sprig. I need a good chunk of it, I think. Does it need shade or something? It's the most finicky mint I've ever had.
bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9084172

Yeah, my pineapple mint always has dead leaves all at the base but the top looks nice. But by then it's gangly and I lop it off! I also have banana mint in a pot. Didn't think it was going to make it so I planted some spearmint in the same pot. Now they are both growing beautifully but I better get one out or I think the spearmint will take over.
Neither of mine are very big, so could only send "sprigs"! But you could grow them inside for a while? Or if mine ever get big, I'd send ya some... I just bought some orange mint and love it! Growing like a weed!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America