Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bellesilver
Warren, MI

April 4, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9069661

I asked the order operator specifically if "plants" meant dry root or potted. She said potted. What I received was less than 4 inch long rooted cuttings with a few anemic dessicated "branch or 2"; in a 6x6" flat plastic bag with less than 1/2 c. dry ground spagnum moss. NOT EXACTLY WHAT WAS EXPECTED... actually I expected just such a rip off...time will tell if they grow in 5 or 6 years into viable berry producing plants... I'm a master gardener (Michigan State University's Land Grant Cooperative Extention Service Trained)... so the pathetic things will have every chance to grow that is humanly possible.

Thumbnail by bellesilver   Thumbnail by bellesilver   Thumbnail by bellesilver
Click an image for an enlarged view.

koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9091938

Belle, if you get those poor things to bear fruit in 5 or 6 years, I will be very impressed indeed! It's taken me nearly that long starting with plants much larger than yours.

I started experimenting with blueberries 3 or 4 years ago, with a couple in containers. For the first time, the Northland is loaded with buds, but the Blueray is still a collection of sticks.

Then in 2010, we planted 10 plants along the side of our house. They arrived in gallon pots. Last summer my peak harvest day was 11 berries from the three bushes that had any berries! This year they are all full of buds...I am very excited!

I will look forward to reading about your efforts with your babies!
learnandgrow12
Aurora, CO

April 29, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9102443

Yes, I had a similar experience with online ordering from summerstone nursery in TN. Poor quality, small plants that will take years to fruit. There`s no review option on their website so unfortunately the only feedback I could give was a customer service email which didn`t get a reply. Now I only order from sites that offer customer reviews for each product. Peaceful Valley is a favorite. My raspberry canes were healthy, nice root balls and carefully packaged. Good luck with your little plants!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9126913

Earlier this year, I was searching for blackberry plants. Since I had never purchased these before, I came across a lot of seller that I didn't know. I thought I had settled upon one vendor until I did a quick lookup in The Garden Watchdog. The reviews were terrible!! Fortunately, I found a vendor with the variety I wanted and had good reviews. My little blackberries are growing quite well now.

Thanks to everyone here who gives reviews in The Garden Watchdog!!
bellesilver
Warren, MI

August 6, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9231424

It's Aug. One plant has survived, barely and of the 12 tiny leaves 3 are still green, 3 mostly green, 3 partly green, 3 are dry brown. Thanks for the comment, good wishes, and Garden Watchdog info, other info etc.

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9231503

Belle - Which vendor did you buy these from? Also, if you haven't yet, you should leave your own comment on Garden Watchdog so others will know what they're shipping out.

I hope they make it for you!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America