Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Little grey flying bugs on my water lilies

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 2, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

April 4, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9070068

I have a small above-ground water lily garden. I am having a problem with tiny flying bugs which sit on the lily pads by the hundreds. They fly when disturbed and immediately come back. I cannot catch one to take a picture of because they are so fast.

I've tried washing them off with the water hose. I've tried holding the lily pads under the water until I hope they have drowned. They always come right back. The very slight cold that we had this past winter did not slow them down at all. (I do not remember having had them before last summer.)

I can't spray poison because I have fish in the pond (who show absolutely no interest in eating the bugs).

If you have any suggestions on how to get rid of them little varmints, please let me know.

Thanks!

Kay

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9070097

You may have aphids or water gnats. You may wish to introduce ladybugs and/or green lacewings to your garden for a natural contol. Good luck.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9071031

They do have a mild soap solution that is for water garden plants...I'll try to find the name of it, I know I sometimes see in on ebay. Otherwise, it sounds like aphids, so sometimes hand wiping them with a damp sponge, combined with lady bugs, will help. I moved mine about a foot lower in the water last year, and chopped off all the above water foliage, and the new growth seemed to not have nearly as many. The fish did nibble on little bits of them that were underwater for the first day, then got bored.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America