Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Orchids: Ming Hsing Yellow boy

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 1, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Inthegarden
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9071066

This is my first orchid and it's been sitting in my kitchen's east facing window. It is showing new growth and roots. I noticed the leaves are sticky (from the grease from my cooking; the stove have one of those charcoal filter but comes right back into the kitchen!) What can I sue to clean the leaves of its stickiness?

When do these bloom? How big do they need to be?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9071076

You can clean the leaves of your Phalaenopsis with mayonnaise. A lot of people who show orchids use mayo. Don't use those spray on cleaners.

Did you buy this plant out of bloom? Most Phalaenopsis bloom winter through spring and need to be cooled of slightly and kept a little dryer in fall. That would mean yours would live outside from October until maybe December and then come in to the kitchen window. As long as the temperatures don't go below fifty to fifty five. The flower spikes then initiate after this cool period. The rest of the year they don't like nights below sixty to sixty five degrees.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America