Post #9071323

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244831/
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9071329

I wanted to include a picture with the first post but I am having trouble getting any pictures to post at DG.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

April 5, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9071489

I have been having trouble posting pics on here this week, too. Hmmm. Thanks for the new thread. And love that pic
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9071836

It is some kind of cherry tree. I took that while walking around in town while waiting for DH to get out of the HBO chamber at the hospital.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9071841

I am trying to get ready for my comminity seed swap tomorrow. Does anybody know if strophostyles helvola, aka pink fuzzy bean, is edible?
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9074001

Thanks for the new thread Cajun. Such a pretty cherry tree!
I've never heard of the pink fuzzy bean. I'll have to look that up. Hope your seed swap was a success, and fun! I'm going to another plant swap in a couple of weeks. Taking all my 'extra' plants that I Winter sowed and those I started for the veggie garden. For some reason, I seem to have a lot, especially tomatoes.

Wishing you all a Blessed Easter.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9074764

Happy Easter.

Life is the same around here. I guess everything isn't the same. I have a huge gopher rat stealing my chicken eggs.
The chickens were producing eggs like crazy and then all of a sudden I was only getting a few per day. Then hubby spotted a huge rat in the hen house. It could be a snake too but we haven't seen one. Last year we killed 3 snakes that were eating the eggs. I inspect the nesting box before I stick my fingers in there.
Still working on the house construction. Mostly exterior cosmetics right now

Cajun. That is a pretty cherry tree. My husbands Saturn peach bloomed several weeks ago and it's blooms look like cherry blooms. Nice and pink. The tree is loaded with little peaches right now. The pears bloomed at the same time and loaded . The apples just got through blooming. The dewberries are loaded, the blackberries are still blooming and the blueberries are loaded.. I been harvesting strawberries. It won't be long and the scuppernongs and muskedines will be blooming. I love Spring.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9075177

Ok if I join back in? Missed you all!

I know it's no excuse for not checking in, but been busy with wrapping up the CSA, closing up the farm, setting up a new house, taking lots of road trips, the holidays and lots of grandkid's birthdays, spring gardening which started really early for me this year so I could do a couple of container gardening presentations for my Master Gardening group, learning (about how to) and starting a blog, major computer problems, etc. You know...life...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9075190

Glad to see you back. Did you quit the farm? Where's the new house?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9075334

Still have the farm, but on the road with hubby, south of Charlotte right now. His daughter and her girls are an hour and a half away, so we've spend a lot of time with them. We rented a little ground floor apartment with a big back yard for our dog. Not doing the CSA this year. Too much for me to do by myself and Al wouldn't be able to be home this summer. Doing a container garden this year and it's doing fantastic. There's even a couple of small zucchini coming in already. Love the weather here! Will post some pictures soon.

Finally took my computer in for repair a couple of weeks ago. Had 3 viruses and 233 infections. No wonder I was having so many problems. LOL Still need to get the built-in keyboard replaced, but using an external one for now.

I need to go back and read the other monthly threads to catch up on what everyone is doing...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9076449

msrobin!!! So glad to hear from you. You don't know how often I have thought of you. And how often I tell epople about your CSA adventures. I finally made myself a hoop house thanks to your encouragement. It will help to extend my season in the fall. What has become of your hens?
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2012
12:29 AM

Post #9076576

Hi Robin!! I too had been wondering where you went. Glad to hear life is being good to you. Keeping busy is suppose to help keep you young. Very cool that your zucchini are producing already. I noticed when I watered earlier, some of our bush beans are blooming already. I'm very excited about the garden this year.

Anyone heard from Nik? Been wondering what is happening with him too.

I just got some good news yesterday. Our youngest son, and his wife, told us they were expecting again. It was our 'Easter surprise', and it was that. lol Our grands are all 18 and 20 something. So we were shocked a couple of years ago when the kids started having more!! We now have two that are 2 years old, and now another one on the way.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9077191

Robin, you might look into organizations like these for next year...
http://wwoof.org/
http://www.growfood.org/

attra.ncat.org has a sustainable farm internship/ apprenticeship job board
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9077237

Congrats TX!! That is good news. I have been missing Nik too. Hope he's just busy.

I am seeding some white diamond pepper seeds. I hope they are sweet peppers. Got to get some eggplants done today too. I have small berries on my strawberries. Excited about that. Been having to cover them the last few nights.

We had the vet out yesterday to do coggins and health papers on the horses. Got the farrier coming out Saturday morning to shoe 2 of the mares and trim the colt. I cooked some deer spaghetti sauce to freeze and take with us. Vacation is really coming together!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9077285

hi folks
i lost you guys
good to see you msrobyn
Cajun i have never heard of white diamond peppers ?
i have the GH full of small peppers, tomato's, salad mixes, sunflowers , eggplant, herbs and some new stuff i m trying.
Chinese lantern ?
i never did get the ghost chilli :( they were back ordered...
Cajun what is coggins ? sounds like your busy. oh and deer spagetti sauce ! yummmo
darius how is the cheese making going ?
TXbaby wow congrats on the new arrival of a grandbaby woohooo.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9077384

Caj, I guess I missed seeing that you have a vacation planned. Hope it's a safe and happy trip!

Sue, I haven't made cheese this year. Finances have been very tight since my sis got fired Jan. 10. It's pretty pitiful to say I don't have the money for milk... I'm just thankful I have no kids at home!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9077427

i know the feeling. our budget is getting tighter . Tim with no work .
i m cleaning houses to help out and selling eggs LOL
if i can figure out what sex my turkeys are i can sell off the ones i don't need .
well i sure hope things start to look up.
we have a freeze tonight. again. and tomorrow also. :(
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9077840

I've never heard of white diamond peppers either. I learn the most interesting things from you all!

Sounds like I'm not the only one feeling a financial pinch right now. Hang in there guys!! Our gardens will start coming in soon, so at least we won't go hungry. lol

I fixed some fresh trout our son brought us on Easter, for tonight's dinner. Sauteed some fresh out of the garden kale, along with some sliced onions. It was so good! Wish we could get down to the lake, or go down to the Gulf and do some fishing. It would be great to put some fish in the freezer.

The only thing I dislike about this time of year is trying to keep things watered. Those seedlings dry out, and we can kiss those plants goodbye! We are in the mid to upper 80's during the day, and down to the mid 60's at night, so things are taking a lot of water. No time to go fishing, or much of anything else. And I can not believe how many mosquitoes and biting flies there are! We have gone through 3 and 1/2 cans of Deep Woods Off in the last 2 weeks...Sure wish I could come up with a better solution that works!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

April 10, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9077847

Oh tx, I love fresh trout!

The bugs are absolutely awful this year, I am definitely going to have to get some guineas for the ticks and bugs!

Well, today, we trimmed the chickens wings. One of the roos has started flying to the top of the coop so it was a matter of time till he flew out of the yard. So, after watching several videos on youtube and reading several pages, my friend and I plunged in.

One of the white pullets has decided it is a duck and won't roost with the chicks. And my black duck which may or may not be a runner roosts in the coop with the chicks. Crazybirds! But the polish bantams are so funny to watch. I love to just sit and watch them all do theirthing.

I'm kind of at a standstill. Myback and neck has been bothering me for a couple weeks and I couldn't take it any more so I went to the chiropractor today. The verdict, I have 7 slipped discs. All the way from the top 2 down. Soooooooo I am resting and hoping :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9078029

I get out of alignment (C-5) occasionally. Usually takes 2-3 times of popping it back in place for it to stay. Hope you have better success.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9078127

Angi, hope you slip back in place and start feeling better.
I don't have slipped disc but my spine is curved and shaped like this ( due to auto accident. They had to straighten me up "some" so I could walk. The curve caused pressure and soreness. The xrays showed some of the pain was arthritis. After 8 adjustments I was feeling better and stopped seeing the chiropractor. She wanted me to come in every 2 wks for a year. With no insurance, that was a no can do.

Speaking of Turkeys. I have never seen my turkeys mate but I do watch Mr Tom do his dance every day. My hen turkey has decided to set her nest. She is there all the time. I hope the eggs are fertile. Do they know if their eggs are fertile or not? I would hate to know a bird would set their eggs if they had not been ---well----you know. active. I am excited about the hen deciding it's time to have babies. I raised her and the tom up from babies. Now my babies are gonna have babies. SWEET. We were about to expand their coop and give them some roaming room but now I am afraid to disturb the hen. I have to cut a door into the tin wall for a door into the running pen and I don't want to upset the hen. hmmmmmm.

Fishing= that is so boring. I could never sit still long enough to go fishing. I would go stir crazy. (been there, done that)

Bugs= So far the only problem I have is fleas. I need to spray the yard with something. I put drops on the doggies but that isn't enough control this year. It's like a plague. A week after I put drops on the dogs, they were scratching like I never treated them. (frontline). The vet suggested alternating the brand of treatment that I use also. Like all bugs, fleas become immune to the poison if it is used over and over. OH and did you know there are several different types of fleas? I was in shock with this one. There is the rat flea, the cat flea, the dog flea, and a few others. The rat flea shocked me. I just thought they were all one flea and I never thought about rats having fleas. When the dogs ran free they would hunt down the field mice and have a hay day. When the mice die , the fleas jump on the dogs. etc...same with the cat. Gosh gee golly. Then you have the problem of killing each different type of flea. Now think about this, if you have mice in your house, then you have their fleas in your walls too. I don't have mice yet cause I don't have insulated walls yet...but gosh...how in the world does one control that problems before it ever starts?

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9078208

Robin, good to see you!

Working like a mule here, hauling wood chips day in, and day out. Barely have half the garden covered.

Sue, do you still want ghost peppers? My brother gave me some seeds packaged as 'Bhut Jolokia', he called them ghost peppers. I think these are the same???
I have no need for anything THAT hot. Your welcome to them, if you still need them.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 11, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9078316

I don't know about turkeys but my chickens will try to hatch golf balls so they certainly have no clue about fertility.
As for the fleas - good luck! However I find Advantage works better here than Frontline.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

April 11, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9078486

I have heard patchouli works for fleas. I have a friend who wears by it and honestly her dogs run all over the place and no fleas!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9078799

Lost 150 tomato starts to the frost. have 150 more under cover & covered the strawberry patch - they are bloomed out. It would be nice to have strawberries.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9078817

Dyson, I'm thankful I didn't start anything like tomatoes yet. Some things in the yard have tiny fruits, like the Nanking cherries and 1 or 2 blueberries. Might lose them tonight. sigh.

I planted rhubarb 4 years ago but have never cut any, mainly because I didn't grow up with rhubarb so it's a bit foreign to me. I decided it's time, though. I cut about 20 long stalks off just one plant, 4.5 pounds, and cooked down some rhubarb bbq sauce today. I ended up canning 10 half pint jars. I have to say it's mighty tasty!

I have 2 more rhubarb plants that can be harvested, and plans for some rhubarb chutney and some vanilla bean-rhubarb jam. If there's enough rhubarb I might make a batch of turnovers too. Straw-rhubarb is a great combination but my few strawberry plants are just beginning to flower... and the hard freeze predicted tonight will likely kill them.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9078841

yes cocoa yes that would be nice thank you. Bhut Jolkia is the same pepper. thank you so much. please let me know what shipping is as i will pay for that and what ever you want to charge me for the seeds . :)
darius sure hope the strawberrys make it.
look into rhubarb crisp ? i saw it in my seed catolog.
Cricket yep i agree fishing = boring me to tears LOL don't like it . can't do it.
Dyson sorry to hear of the tomato loss. its a tough year .
i m hoping my dragon salad mix lives. ?
pork LOL to funny on the golf balls.
how does one know if there turkey is a boy or girl ? at what age can you tell ?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9078918

I don't know about sexing turkeys, or anything else about turkeys. BUT, one of the funniest things I've ever read is the chapter in "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver where she recounts their turkey's distress.
http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Vegetable-Miracle-Year-Food/dp/0060852569/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334186083&sr=1-1

I won't tell you about the story, you need to read the book anyway, even if It means a library loan. It's a book well worth reading if you have any interest in sustainability.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9079166

Dyson, so sorry about your losses. I have my strawberries covered for the last few nights and likely for the next few nights also. Everything else is cold hardy. the rest of my stuff is still small and inside.

MaryE sent me some rhubarb. It did well for a couple years. I was looking forward to harvesting it but I lost it after we moved here. :(

I prefer catching to fishing but my Momma likes both. She can sit all day and not get a bite and still think she has had a good day. If I don't get a bite by the time my hook hits the bottom, I'm ready to move and find the fish.

Sue, I grew the ghost pepper one year and actually over wintered it to bear a second year. They say the peppers are hotter the second year. My DH, who LOVES hot food, could not eat it.

We use sevin dust on our dogs for fleas. I sprinkle it in the yard, in their houses and on them. Works great. But it will kill cats.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
12:22 AM

Post #9079203

I put a tarp over the strawberries hoping that does the trick. The tomatoes that I lost were started from seed purchased from the seed savers exchange cannot get those at Lowe's or Walmart - so will have to wait until next season to try them again.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9079272

morning
i was going to do a display at the nursery. using the pepper. i just thought it would be a fun thing for people to see and learn about the peppers.
sure is cold down to 32 brrrr this is the 4 th day in a row. not good news for the apple orchard i work at in fall. His tree's are in full bloom. sure hope minimal damage

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9079289

23 here. I will have a mushy yard, especially the hostas, when it warms up.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9079353

I don't know what surrived around here yet. Too early. I covered a lot of stuff. Forgot other stuff. I was tired and my brain went blank yesterday evening. One weather report said we would get a heavy frost, one said light frost, one said no frost. What was I suppose to do with that report?

Cajun...I decided last night that I would treat the yard with seven dust. My dad use to throw seven dust on the yard, the animals including the cats, and the inside the house on a Sunday and we would have to clean house when we got home from church. Problem is finding the powder. All I see in stock is the liquid. I am sure the feed and seed company will have the powder but they are closed by the time I am able to leave the house. errr I don't want to put it on the dogs. One of the little dogs sleeps at the foot of our bed. Her name is Foxy cause she looks like a fox. Half Pomeranian and half Chihuahua. Cuties little brat dog in the neighbor hood. Long legged , medium length hair, pointed furry ears and a curly tail.

Angi, what is patchouli?

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9079375

oh turkeys... um my turkeys were about 11 weeks old when I noticed the tom developing more blue and red around his neck area close to his head. That is how I knew he was a tom. Then I had put a rooster in the pen next to him and he started puffing up his feathers and spreading out his tail showing his dominance- territory...
I love to watch the tom turkey. When he starts doing his dance, his neck swells up, and that thing? on top of his nose starts stretching out very long... ;). When he calms down it shrinks back to nothing. Funny= huh!

This message was edited Apr 12, 2012 6:49 AM

This message was edited Apr 12, 2012 7:28 AM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9079445

We did get a light frost. Most everything survived caused I covered it. I forgot to cover a few things. Only time will tell if they are damaged.
Yesterday I picked a colander of strawberries and dehydrated them. This morning I put them in a quart jar. It was almost full.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9083076

Ack! My sis came and awakened me about midnight last night, with no running water in the house. I got the main shut off at the street, but it was making a strange noise like it might burst, so I had to call the emergency number for the water department (via the Sheriff's Dept). Finally a guy came out to check it. It's not a problem with the main, but rather here at the house where there's a leak like Niagara Falls where the water comes in from the street. Got the new water heater cut off too so we don't burn it up.

So we have no water. Probably won't be able to get a plumber out before sometime late Monday or possibly even Tuesday. I can fill buckets from the spring to flush, and we use bottled drinking water since the county switched from chlorine to the cheaper chloramine (where the chlorine smell/taste never goes away).

Strangely enough, I've called some plumbers in the last week for an estimate to replace ALL the water pipes in the whole house (central trailer with stick-built additions around it), because I am sick and tired of leaks. Only 1 has showed up so far, and he wants $750/day (for one man, no helper) plus parts; thinks it will take at least 2 days, maybe three. That's really high wages in a poverty-stricken area, plus he works 40 hours/week for UPS. Several more plumbers to contact, though.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9083290

Pffffttt...For heaven's sake, 750.00 day! I'm thinking he really doesn't need the work.

I hope you can get it running soon, we often have breaks, go without water for days. Those are the days I really, really, really want a shower or bath.lol I don't appreciate it enough, till it's gone.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9083356

LOL, I really NEED a shower right now after some yard work, just a "sponge bath" doesn't cut it!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9083624

Darius could you scoot down to the creek and take a quick bath there? I know it would be cold, but I've done it in Utah and you will at least get clean. Albeit a little chilly, but clean. :0)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9083668

LOL, yes I could... but I also have a pump in the spring so I actually have water available outside, just not readily, nor suitable for drinking unless I boil it. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a cattle water tank that is solar-heated!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9083756

darius bummer on the water. Yea i think that guy needs his head examined on the price he gave you ! hope you can get it fixed soon at a reasonable price.
deer ate all my hosta ,ferns and azaleas in my back grow bed. Since the incident i just have not gotten around to getting many things done. I wanted all the plants in pots that were in that back bed. But the deer beat me to it.
got some of the GH done. We just need the plastic up and we should be good .
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9084741

Darius, sorry about your water problems. That does seem like a very high price. We have well water plumbed to the outside spigots on the house so as long as we have power, we have water. We also have water in the creek to flush with. A good thing to have on hand is one of those camping shower bags. Fill with water ( ours holds 3 gallons ), hang it in the sun and in a few hours you have nice hot bath water. It even has a hose and sprinkler nozzel on it.

Sue, don't you just hate the damage deer can do? We are lucky not have any here. We do have to contend with coyote, bear, turkey and striped chipmunks. And I can't fail to mention the copperheads. Grrr

Our mornings have warmed up so I uncovered the berries. They all made it fine. It is very dry here. I have put the sprinkler in the garden a couple times. We have a 30% chance of rain today and the wind is blowing but the skies are still clear.

I put my seedlings on the porch to start damping off but I had to make sure they are protected from the wind. I need to pot them up to some solo cups. They are still in the little peat cups I started them in. I am growing my melons in egg shells and they are the best looking at this point. Need to get my hind end in gear and get a place fixed to plant them. Really looking forward to a variety of melons this summer. Got 6 or 7 different kinds seeded.

My DB is shaking his mayhaw trees today. He is going to dry some seeds for me so I can try planting a few trees here and see if they will grow. They make great jelly.

I have my goats all tied out eating weeds and grass today. No way they can keep it all down but they love trying. One goat has a skin problem that looks like it may be a mite of some kind. I need to do some research. I dusted her with sevin dust today.

My chickens are laying pretty good but it flucuates. One day I got 11 eggs and the next day just 6. Selling all they can lay so that helps with the feed.

I'd better get back out and get to work. Hope you all have a great day!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9085163

i will take deer over copperheads anytime ! you can keep them LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9085617

Sad news. DH heard from the hospital about his culture. He still has MRSA and another type of infection in his foot. Tey want him to go back on IV meds so we won't get to go on our trail ride vacation. We are beyond disappointed.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9085726

Oh Cajun i m so sorry to hear the news . I know MRSA is a hard infection to get rid off. Sending many (()) and T&P to you and your husband. IS there anything i can do to help ? please let me know.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9085767

Same here, Cajun. That's got to be so hard on the both of you. Hang in there, I have faith, you both can handle anything :0)

Sue, been running crazy here. I did get the peppers sent. Or actually Dh grabbed and sealed the envelope before I was done. No note, no DG name, sorry. Your probably not getting a lot of bhut jolokias, from multiple Lyneas... you'll figure it out :0)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 17, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9085801

I'm so sorry to hear the bad news! When will it ever end?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9085903

Cheryl, such bad news... I'm so sorry.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9087456

Thanks so much, Guys. Sue, you are too kind. It is a hard pill to swallow but just like the little boy who swallowed the marble, this too shall pass. They only have him scheduled for 2 weeks of infusion so at this point it looks like we will still get to make a few days of the ride. Sure hoping so.

It has been drizzling here since midnight and we really needed the rain. It was getting very dry.

I worked in my garden yesterday for most of the day and it looks great. I weeded it all and hauled a load of woodchips to put in the walkways. I also got rid of some unsightly pallets I had containers on. Now the containers are on the woodchip walkways. I put in a big woodenbox I had rescued from the dumpster. It is the whole width of the garden and I will plant taters in it. Had planned to do that today but it will have to wait until tomorrow now.

I potted up some seedling this morning but I have to get some more cups before I can finish.

Today is a hard day for me. My Dad died on this day when I was 8yo and it has always haunted me. My life fell apart after that and I carry a lot of baggage from it but God is good and I am blessed.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9087991

your in my prayers tonight Cajun.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9089256

Thanks so much, Sue. I feel much better today though my shoulder is still aching. I was halfway up a steep hill untangling one of my goats from a mimosa tree stob. When I started down I was holding on to the stob with my right hand for ballance and my feet both slipped out from under me. I instinctively grabbed hold of the stob and all my weight came down on my shoulder. I don't know what it has done but it hurts and my hand swells up on and off. I have rested it today and it feels better. Can't lift anything heavy. Just have no strength in it.

I hope you are doing well today.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9089312

doing ok today. Hope your shoulder feels better.
just darn busy. got the GH up and the plastic on. But no doors LOL hot house !
watered plants
feed chickens and turkeys. i m really hoping the ones with the more red in the neck are the boys ? and the other two are girls ?
weather is great sunny warm and no winds. but rain on the way. Got DH convinced on a water set up at the barn. got two rain barrels and i want a down spout on the barn to collect rain water. Need to dig up black berrys,,, deer just eat them and i m tired of fighting them.
im only going to do half size of the garden. I don't have it in me to do the whole acre. so i will do 1/4 acre.
i have so much to do and so little energy to do it LOL . yikes
decided to get rid of the two roo's,,, can't afford to feed them. also getting rid of the 4 hens . i think she breed them with bantys . waste of time them small eggs.
so we will have lots of chicken suppers 1
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9089602

Cajun, sorry bout your husbands test results and sorry you hurt your shoulder. I pray you both get well soon.

Hey Taynors, can you take pics of your turkeys? Congrats on that poly covering. It is always a huge relief when the main poly is finally in place.

I been selling a lot of eggs. I don't have enough chickens!!!! Maybe I should buy 25 more. Thinking... They definitely pay for themselves. A few times, I didn't have eggs for myself.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9090935

well one of our turkeys died ... really bummed about that. so doing turkeys for fair may be out ? i think they are all boys ?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9091065

oh how sad. two of my turkeys died last summer. I think they had a heat stroke or something. still have three.

I am excited. We been trying to figure out where to put a storm shelter that won't fill up with water due to wet springs or rain water. I was very disappointed until tonight when my step dad suggested we dig one under the barn. The barn is just two large horse stables used for rabbits and chickens but it also has a 32x32 open area with a very high roof and it is on a hill. It never rains in there and it never floods. We have plans to rent a backhoe and dig another hole to finish burring the burnt mobile home and we will dig the shelter/cellar while it is here. The barn is about 80ft from the house.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9091954

sounds great Cricket. always good to not have to worry about flooding.
here is the link for my DD memory garden. Hope you don't mind me posting it here ? .
busy week ahead.
so i m off and running
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253573

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9092687

Thanks for the link, Sue. Nice start for her Memory Garden!

I attended a grafting workshop yesterday, held more mid-state than where I live, at a Cidery (small but highly acclaimed artisan apple cider producer) near the Blue Ridge Parkway. What an interesting experience!

The class was limited to 15 participants, and they provided 5 rootstocks for each of us, and a choice of scion wood from around 25 apple varieties. I've read a bunch of stuff about simple grafting, but it's a LOT harder to do than it looks. (That's probably because the rootstock they received was smaller diameter than they preferred, which they lamented.)

Other than the size problems, grafting is really easy... at least the whip/cleft, and modified cleft grafting we did. They didn't cover other types of grafts, nor budding grafts.

All 5 of my grafts are now soaking in water to wake up dormancy, and will get potted up in 2-3 days. They will need to stay in pots for a year, but for the class cost which included my 5 apple trees to bring home, it was a good deal for my $15. (Plus gas for the trip, but still cheaper than buying + shipping!)

All the varieties I selected are vintage apples, and the one I'm most excited to have (hoping my graft takes) is a crabapple developed by Thos. Jefferson, who grew them in abundance for hard cider: the Hewe's Crab, sometimes called Virginia Crab.

I only wish we'd had a list in advance of the varieties. One I chose is an early bloomer (which I didn't know yesterday when we chose varieties) and we usually have late frosts where I live.

Did you know melons, eggplants and tomatoes can now be grafted on hearty rootstock to reduce diseases? (Not those plants found in garden centers, but those grafted by growers.) There are a few companies who grow and sell the specific rootstocks for them.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9092889

I knew that tomatoes could be grafted but I didn't know about eggplants and melons.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

April 22, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #9093738

That is really cool, Darius! Somewhere on my list of "things I want to learn" is plant and tree grafting. Unfortunately, the list is very long.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9094846

Just moved about 150 tomato starts into the shed - almost to tired. Need to cover the strawberries.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9095237

Covered my berries and 4 urns of herbs I planted out, last night. Afraid we might have a frost this morning and tomorrow morning so they are still covered.

Got some bad results from DH's blood work. Kidney function is down. They did some routine blood work Friday and his potasium was very high. Sent him to ER to get lasix and a laxative to try and get it down. He was on Lasix another 2 days. Did bloodwork yesterday and it only dropped by a half point. Doctor has had him on a BP med for over a year that is known to hurt kidneys. Stupid move as he knows DH is a diabetic. GRRRR Please keep him in your prayers. This is all getting to us.

Had a good day today. Got a stall cleaned out and a horse groomed. Turned another out to run. Got all the feeding done. Enjoyed a great salad for supper with some stuff from the garden.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9099976

P's and T's, Caj.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9100200

Bought the house - should close on Tuesday. If I can get my digital camera working (I think the power switch is bad) I will be posting many pictures of plants in the new yard that I need to identify before I can decide if they stay or they go.

The house was built in 1940 & needs lots of repair, I will be trying to upgrade the energy efficiency at the same time. There is not much of a yard so garden space will be limited.
There is a shed large enough to stow the Shadow.

Thumbnail by Dyson

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9100204

Yay, Dyson... which one is yours in the plot you posted?

ALL houses need repairs. I have a plumber under our trailer as I writing... we're replacing all the leaky water lines.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9100228

The one with red circle - the lot behind it belongs to the power company - so I may be able to sneak some brambles or blueberries into it.

Thumbnail by Dyson

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9100362

Dyson congrats on the house.
Cajun i m so sorry to hear Dh is still in the Hosp. sending healing prayers to you and him
we had another cold spell. plants still look ok.
Gh is at a stall at moment due to weather.
sunny warm today but tomorrow is rain
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9100387

DH is better. Foot doc who is also the ER doc said the other doc made it look much worse than it is. That sure takes a load off our minds. Great thing happened today. Foot doc sent some papers off to a drug company and today DH got a 3 month supply of his fast acting insulin free of charge. Saved us about $800. What a relief. Suagr is staying down and so is BP. Things are looking up. Last scheduled infusion is next Wednesday. We are leaving for the trail ride from the infusion center!!!

Congrats Dyson. I sure hope you get to use that extra ground.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9100439

Cool beans on possible adjacent planting of briars and blueberries, Dyson!

Cak, best news I've heard about your DH in a long time, things are looking up!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9100533

Cajun so g lad Dh is on the mends to normal levels ect... and great on the savings on his meds. wow. what a good dr .
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

April 29, 2012
1:19 AM

Post #9102113

Cricket, I am so sorry, I just noticed where you asked me about patchouli. Its a flower or herb. You caan get it dried in health food stores or you caan get the essential oil. I would use the oil.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2012
1:01 AM

Post #9103405

My first born offspring (son) had a stroke over the weekend. He, his wife & the 2 grand children live in California. My ex-wife, his mother has a flight out on Tue.

Still have not got the camera fixed so these pics were taken with an old smart phone. If someone can id the tree and other plants I would be grateful.

Thumbnail by Dyson   Thumbnail by Dyson
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9104103

Dyson i m sorry to hear the news about your son and the stroke. sending healing thoughts to you

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9104149

Sending best wishes from here for your son too, Dyson.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9105102

Im sorry to hear that dyson. I hope it wasn't severe and he gets better soon

Your pics look like Hickory to me
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9105158

Thank You !
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9106807

My tom turkey was looking and acting sick. His litter was green and I think his kidneys were trying to shut down. I came up with my own conclusions cause the same thing happened to the tom turkeys that died last fall. I fed the chickens and the turkeys high protein feed all winter. No body was laying eggs and my sister told me that when they stop laying to feed them high protein. So I did. When the new hens started laying eggs, I noticed a few weak eggs so a couple of weeks ago I started giving every body layer crumbles cause the hens needed some calcium. A week later my tom turkey started getting sick like the toms last year. Then it hit me that it was the feed. I had also read somewhere along the way that you should not feed roosters layers crumbles before they are 16 weeks old cause it will cause them to have kidney failure. That is hard to do when they are in with the hens so I fed them all chick starter and corn or game feed high in protein until everybody was way older than 16 weeks except for a time last fall and currently. I had fed those tom turkeys layer crumbles last fall and they got sick and two died . I immediately took the turkeys off crumbles and started feeding them chick starter and corn again. The feed store was out of game feed at the time. Tom turkey started eating again and has been taking less naps and his litter is back to normal. He still sick but not as bad. Crossing my fingers.
Other than that, I am gardening and growing food everyday. Using my rabbit and chicken manure to grow many veggies and a few monsters.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9110106

Thank you all for the prayers for my son. He is doing much better - no longer paralyzed, though he can not speak yet the doctors are confident he will make a full recovery.

I have put many miles on the Shadow in the last couple of days seems that riding helps me not think of Kenn.

I finally got the camera working. so first some Pics of the house -
From the driveway:

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9110132

and

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9110138

view from the front porch - looking North.

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9110151

Plants to be identified -

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9110166

Loading multiple pics is not working out to well so 1 per post it is -

Thumbnail by Dyson

porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 4, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9110505

Cute house!

The pink flowers look like Evening (or Showy) Primrose. The tree at the bottom is some sort of Mulberry. I don't recognize the other.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9110635

My God, Dyson... a REAL HOUSE!!!!!!!

I LOVE that pink evening primrose. I had some in my garden in Asheville, and it was called a Japanese primrose (probably just a promoter's dream). It will even grow in sun-baked medians in the city. When you have enough, I'd like a division.

Your second photo looks familiar but I cannot place it.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9110675

I've been really busy lately, between projects and gardening.

We are replacing all the water lines under the house. My cousin's BIL from SC is doing the work, family rate. We thought last weekend would finish the job, but as with any renovation, things got complicated. He'll be back in June to finish the job.

Meanwhile I rec'd my order for 4" pots that are about 12" tall, to transplant my rooted elderberry cuttings. It looks like about 30 have survived and they need a home of their own for a little bit longer. I may sell a few of them, 30 is far more than I need.

I probably have 300 seedlings to plant, mostly herbs to act as insectaries, plus a few garden veggies. I haven't even started tomato seeds yet! I did get some summer squash seedlings in the ground.

As soon as I can hire some help, I want to get the potted fruit plants I bought in April in the ground, but that's a major job because I want the guy to scrape the grass off an area about 50 x 50, and then move wood chips over it. Some of those plants are vines, and today I bought some 10' tall metal posts that are used for deer fencing. I have 2 cattle panels16' long that will go on the posts and give the vines something to climb, and shade the south side of the house. My new seeds for Kentucky Wonder beans should be here in a day or three and those will go on the new trellis too.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9110709

darius , anything growing here you are welcome to cuttings, divisions, etc! I have many more to identify but I guess I have exceeded the daily upload limit for non-subscribers. So will continue 2 morrow.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9110727

porkpal, I suspected Mulberry, but without fruit was uncertain. I actually survived for a few days way back when waiting for a first pay check on a job long ago & far away. I will be careful thinning these accordingly! - Thank you for the conformation.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9110789

Dyson, mark me down for a mulberry, too!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9110819

lots of them! How many ?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9110825

One, unless I need another for a pollinator.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9110852

don;t know - will check
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 4, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9110930

The mulberries we have growing here along the river bank look a lot like your picture and unfortunately do not produce any fruit; I hope yours does better! We also have a fruiting variety with smaller, smoother leaves that is very productive.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9111440

Maybe now that it is another day - the site will let me load more pics

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9111483

The second pic looks like a briar... maybe blackberry or raspberry?

Flowers on the first one look familiar but not the leaves.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9111569

I thought Blackberry when I saw it so I avoided it with the mower. I will let you know if the Mulberry sets fruit !

I plan to put a small green house up against the back of the house.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9111614

more id needed -

Thumbnail by Dyson

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9111630

That's yet another briar. You probably won't know which one until they fruit. Around here there are wild black raspberries, blackberries, and wineberries. The wineberries look kinda like the raspberry fruits but have a taste like a cross between blackberry and raspberry.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9111636

I remember up in Alaska they had salmon berries, a really large raspberry.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9114296

Hello it is May - someone!

Sue w/ granddaughters Emma & Madison & Dixie (aka the "wonder" poodle) gathering strawberries !

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9114364

New thread...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1256877/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America